Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Wasteland 2 Screenshot at Shacknews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I predict massive butthurt when this game is released and people realize what it means to prioritize gameplay over graphics in a low budget title.
It wouldn't be the first time the Codex regrets getting what it wished for. See: Age of Decadence.
I have a gut feeling it will be more than just graphics... :lol:
In any case, it's gonna be fun to watch it happen.

[IMG car crash.gif]

Whatever happens, it will retroactively be declared a timeless classic as soon as Project Eternity is released half a year later.

Johannes

Arcane
It does look lame. If it's overgrown how come there's only grass? And why do the walls glow green? The color pallette's just not very interesting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shacknews posted their article: http://www.shacknews.com/article/77126/most-anticipated-2013-johns-picks

Wasteland 2

Wasteland 2 is another Kickstarter project that is attempting to capitalize on the nostalgia of the old-school games, this one in the realm of isometric, faux-real-time RPG. The original from Electronic Arts was a classic that was one of the first to capitalize on the persistent world, where your actions were tracked and maintained throughout the game. It set the stage for games like Fallout, and later Baldur's Gate.

So it is understandable, being the RPG nut that I am, that this game would be high on my list of games I can't wait to get my hands on next year. Brian Fargo, head of developer inXile Entertainment and producer on the original Wasteland, is no slouch in developing great RPGs. He said the sequel "is on a fast track production lane thanks to the abundance of tools, tight organization, tireless working and no outside interference. Everyone of us at inXile are having a blast making this game and could not be more dedicated to it."

He then dropped this nice nugget: "We fully plan to show off a couple minutes of gameplay early next year."

I admit I was a bit surprised by the first rough camera demo I saw of the game, but it really will take a lot to dampen my enthusiasm for Wasteland 2. Add in that Chris Avellone and the team at Obsidian is assisting in development--and the fact that the original Wasteland will be bundled with the sequel--just adds more giddy to the anticipation. The game is targeted for October.

"From Electronic Arts"? Fuck you!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Didn't Fargo say they couldn't bundle W1? Something changed or is that a mistake?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
He shouldn't have gotten in bed with EA. That was a mistake, allowing them to sell it on Origin. He's doesn't realize that EA is merely circling around the title and trying to grab it for themselves. Expect some sort of law suit from EA in the future Mr. Fargo. :smug:

Anyway pic looks pretty good I guess [/IdontfuckingcareIjustwannaplayit]

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I really don't understand all this worry about EA..seriously guys come on..it's not like they brutally fuck to stitches ever did anything bad to any company, now is it..
ethical business as always..in a professional panorama of high trust, ethics and long vision. Sometimes i think you're exaggerating, seriously

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
He shouldn't have gotten in bed with EA. That was a mistake, allowing them to sell it on Origin. He's doesn't realize that EA is merely circling around the title and trying to grab it for themselves. Expect some sort of law suit from EA in the future Mr. Fargo. :smug:

Anyway pic looks pretty good I guess [/IdontfuckingcareIjustwannaplayit]

They own the IP of the original game, he doesn't really have a choice in the matter.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

One of our users informed us of the existence of a new Wasteland 2 screenshot, hidden in an image gallery over at Shacknews. While the screenshot has been confirmed to be authentic, there is some uncertainty as to whether it was supposed to be publicly viewable at this stage. In case they take it down, I've mirrored it here on the Codex.

Discuss!

Good thing it doesn't look like a next-gen green-brown shit.

thesoup

Arcane
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

One of our users informed us of the existence of a new Wasteland 2 screenshot, hidden in an image gallery over at Shacknews. While the screenshot has been confirmed to be authentic, there is some uncertainty as to whether it was supposed to be publicly viewable at this stage. In case they take it down, I've mirrored it here on the Codex.

Discuss!

Good thing it doesn't look like a next-gen green-brown shit.
If it worked for Fallout 3...:smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Putting a screen from Shadowrun Returns beneath the Wasteland 2 paragraph was a good palate cleanser.
shadowrunreturns_24293.jpg

Now that's low-res, low-poly stylization done better.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Looks Stalker-y to me. Maybe they should try to add more distinction to their art style. This is WIP though.
You mean with the greenery? I suppose so.

Yeah, I think it's nice that someone figured out that a post-apocalyptic world won't remain a desert forever. Eventually, the grass and trees would grow back. It's one thing that later Fallout games messed up, by assuming that everything will remain perpetually shambles and with no life even 200+ years after the apocalypse.

It looks like Wasteland 2 might capture a post nuclear apocalypse world that is actually being reconstructed and healing back, rather than a perma-caricature of itself.

Kahlis

Cipher
I like how thematically WL2 seems to be fairly spread out. I myself was eager for that 1980's future-tech and big beeping Knight Rider esque computers, but it seems that those things will only really be noticeable in abandoned pre-war facilities and perhaps the cities where scavengers pick through the dregs of the old culture. Remember how in Fallout 3 everybody was a walking talking 1950's setpiece actor with a way-too-specific 19th century New England immigrant surname, going through the motions of their horrible accents and 200 year old business casual attire all the while living off of potato chips and not caring about anything at all?

I don't understand where Bethesda got that idea. There was no time for most people in FO1/2 to give a damn about the old culture because they were too busy trying to survive. All the allusions to the space age stuff were relatively low-key. If anything, Fallout 1 gave me more of an art deco feel than it did the stylings of any later decade. I'm glad that thus far WL2 seems to be a world that is post-apocalyptic but not trapped in the stylings of the pre-apocalyptic. Or maybe it's just all so generic at this point that I can't tell.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I'm glad that thus far WL2 seems to be a world that is post-apocalyptic but not trapped in the stylings of the pre-apocalyptic

Is that deduced from the train rails, the obvious warehouse structure, the overly used in other games fence lines, or some other detail i may have missed?

Kahlis

Cipher
Okay, you've got me there. I'm personally just pleased that it isn't falling into the trope of everything being a barren wasteland with cheesy cobbled-together shanties of scrap metal and old billboards everywhere, although the first screenshot covered most of those bases.

Wizfall

Cipher
Putting a screen from Shadowrun Returns beneath the Wasteland 2 paragraph was a good palate cleanser.
shadowrunreturns_24293.jpg

Now that's low-res, low-poly stylization done better.
Yea Shadowrun Return with 1 million less has way better arts untill now.
This dwarf is damn cool.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The shadowrun art looks fine. Roguey is just a retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom