Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Newbie question about MotB

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I despised the combat. My view of it (perhaps I was incorrect) was that it seldom presented any challenge

It wasn't supposed to present any challenge 95% of the time. You could consume the souls of anything starting from a badger to
(dead) gods.
That was the whole point: presented with having ultimate power, would you let it consume you giving into it, or fight it and take control over it?

You (and your character) were presented with a choice. A hard choice. That ultimately also reflected onto the people that tagged along, and not only.

Your character had a thing called an arc. A change. A change into either much better or much worse.

This is something that people tell, called stories...

What is combat to something that can devour the souls of a whole part of Faerun? ... and then just move on like nothing happened?

... and I don't remember getting the Eyes of the Coven being easy at all, by the way.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If it wasn't supposed to present a challenge, then what's the harm in cheating to bypass it? :/

Also, I'm not sure you're right at all -- I don't think you could use the devouring power to solve difficult fights. At most it made a marginal difference. It's major effects were in scripted encounters.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
MOTB tell the story of a unstoppable supernatural hunger that can only be controlled by meticulously scrounging through odd containers for gaudy trash with incremental benefits. :)

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've always rolled either a monk or a druid, and when you can machine-gun through everything, or summon various things to destroy everything, getting to "near death" (which is I think 15% of HP left) was an easy devour and move onward.

I am opposed to cheating in principal, so I might be biased.

MOTB tell the story of a unstoppable supernatural hunger that can only be controlled by meticulously scrounging through odd containers for gaudy trash with incremental benefits. :)

I can already hear the hate train coming. Choo-choo~!
I'm going to stop posting now. xD

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
At the very least, you are giving suggestions to a newb based on your full experience of the game systems and gameplay - which urge him to avoid experiencing it by himself.
And thus robbing him of the experience and ability to make his or her own mind about it.

Instead he should take your experience and conclusions as his own.

If there are mortal gaming sins thats one of them.

MOTB tell the story of a unstoppable supernatural hunger that can only be controlled by meticulously scrounging through odd containers for gaudy trash with incremental benefits.

No, thats was your story which you created for yourself by playing it.
And another pointer how all systems and features of the game are the "story" and language of the game in which the story is told.
To you the language of those features created your experience/story of it.

This new player, instead of experiencing your story, should create his own - and thats the proper way.

Newb, endure and in enduring grow strong.

deama

Prophet
It does always bother me that the character in combat is presented weaker than in the story, I think they should have given you a +2 to all your stats by just being a spirit eater, or maybe a useful passive that could be used in combat.
Then again though, some of the later spirit eater abilities I remember being pretty strong, I think there was like an aoe that does damage to everything around you for like several rounds? Or am I remembering badly?

Cael

Arcane
It does always bother me that the character in combat is presented weaker than in the story, I think they should have given you a +2 to all your stats by just being a spirit eater, or maybe a useful passive that could be used in combat.
Then again though, some of the later spirit eater abilities I remember being pretty strong, I think there was like an aoe that does damage to everything around you for like several rounds? Or am I remembering badly?
The point of the Spirit Eater is that it kills off anything, which includes gods. That is what has them pissing their pants about you. It is not how well you wield a dagger or how you cast a spell. It is "I press this button and you lose". In game, that was hinted at by the last and most powerful Spirit Eater ability on the Evil side, which kills anything off with one shot, IIRC. No save, just die.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"I'm having difficulty playing this D&D game"

"You should just cheat through it and never learn to play because I, a system master, find D&D games boring after having mastered the system."

deama

Prophet
The point of the Spirit Eater is that it kills off anything, which includes gods. That is what has them pissing their pants about you. It is not how well you wield a dagger or how you cast a spell. It is "I press this button and you lose". In game, that was hinted at by the last and most powerful Spirit Eater ability on the Evil side, which kills anything off with one shot, IIRC. No save, just die.
Don't you only have 1 use of that a op ability per rest and don't you get it late in the game anyway?

Cael

Arcane
Don't you only have 1 use of that a op ability per rest and don't you get it late in the game anyway?
It is implied you get to use it indefinitely once you embraced the hunger. Hence Kelemvor's reaction when you returned to the city.

cosmicray

Savant
Completed Act I. I think I use huge amount of time to prepare for every battle and constantly being cautious, but pretty much in every encounter I have an upper hand. The only problem I had were the Death Knights in the Death God's Vault, but maybe because I was supposed to tackle them later. Although, once you understand the strategy in dealing with undead, they aren't that tough anymore. Act I Boss was no problem at all.
Can't say I've played like that before(maybe PoE1 at times felt similar) and it's refreshing. Certainly wouldn't have as much fun/accomplishment had I opted to normal difficulty.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah the second level of of the vault is intended to be end-game content unless you're a pro.

cosmicray

Savant
And I think you can't go to a lower level anyway until you complete first act.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom