Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nexus - The Jupiter Patch

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident just got it's first patch. It weighs in at 22 megs and supposedly fixes alot of bugs and adds some new content. You can get it here.

Crnobog

Liturgist
ADDITIONS

ˇ Added version number indicator to the launcher menu.
ˇ Added a loading icon after the de-briefing screen, during the loading of the pre-rendered movie.
ˇ Added the description to the MOD documentation of how you can exit the MOD tools.
ˇ Added a README file (ReadMe.rtf) into the game's install directory and the start menu.
ˇ Added support for video cards without Hardware Transformation & Lighting.

so much for 'new content'

Crnobog

Liturgist
They could at least tweak the laser weapons a bit, the only time I could use them effectively was on the missions where I control ghost ships.

Not to mention the skirmish mode, but I don't see that happeingn anytime soon

Flink

Liturgist
Lasers are fine, you just have to learn how to use them properly. I fucking love this game.

Big ships using lasers against smaller ones get a huge penalty, especially if the small ships have ECM. Try using lasers on smaller ships and destroy the subsystems of bigger ones.

roguefrog

Liturgist
I want impressions on this game damnit! It looks fabulous! Graphics are very pretty. :lol:

So how does it compare to Homeworld? Epic battles? Interface and control? I'll probably pick it up after I finish KotOR2 and Freedom ForceVTTR I pre-ordered.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
The graphics are gorgeous. And it plays phenomenally well on a low end system while still looking good. Beyond that it's a great game. It's NOT Homeworld though. You only control a small amount of ships (only one for the first few missions), but the amount of control you have over the ships is incredible. The game's worth getting and I highly recommend it. I'm sure Exit would back that up as well. Check out the demo and see for yourself. Granted, they could have chosen a better level for the demo, but it does a good job of promoting the game and showing off all the stategic options you can have throughout the game.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Seven said:
I would have loved to have seen some empire building.

Maybe something like that is possible to mod into the game. Hopefully some of the mods people have posted about will actually happen. Haven't seen anything on an empire building one though.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I checked out a demo and found myself wishing for a one page "manual-type" info sheet on handling controls and tunneling down to commands that give deeper control over the ships. Can I find enough of that stuff in the readme? Is there a good fan site I can check out for a how-to? I ended up dropping it after a quick run through, but would be willing to give it another go if the learning curve chore was reduced.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What learning curve are you talking about? The game's pretty easy to get a feel to, but difficult to master. It's actually pretty easy to figure out how to go from point A to point B and do what you want to do, but the hard part is figuring out when to turn on those Combat Propulsion systems and when to fire your artillery.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Shouldn't there be some kind of tutorial?

nexus1.jpg

Humongous Ships :shock: :D

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
There is one in the game itself. That's why I said earlier that they could have chosen a better mission for the demo. I think they should have done the first three missions of the game. That would have been enough and would have given players the kick start tutorial they needed. Go to the official site and check the forums. There's lots of help in there from other players.

Fez

Erudite
I like space sims where they show a huge contrast in the ship sizes. Freelancer needed huge battleships to scare the shit out of the player.

Spazmo

Erudite
Freespace 2 is king there--"DIVE DIVE DIVE! Hit those burners, pilots!" Nothing like watching a couple enormous destroyers tear chunks out of each other with beam weapons.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Freespace 2 is one of my favorite space shooters ever. I loved flying down the length of one of those huge destroyers in the middle of a dogfight. Classic video game moment right there.

Fez

Erudite
Which is why Freelancer was all the more a disappointment.

Llyranor

Liturgist
The game is great indeed, but I'm kind of disappointed that no one seems to be playing it online. A shame, really. The MP demo was loads of fun a few months back.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
roguefrog said:
Shouldn't there be some kind of tutorial?
Yeah, the full game has a well done tutorial that familiarizes you with the ships controls and navigations. It plays across the span of the first few missions so it doesn't seem out of place.

---

Freelancer's capital ships were pretty bad. They looked no bigger than frigates and your dinky little jet could take out half a dozen of them. The balance was buggery, too. I don't get how the Rhinelanders (which have the best ships) get to sit so close to the Liberty without fucking them over in a split second. Their ships were at least 5 times stronger.

Heck, the pirate moon (if you managed to go there) had a little ship that was stronger than the Osiris, even.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom