Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ni no Kuni II announced - Coming to PC too!

Why should it be relevant that in your estimation recent JRPGs are also shit? How does that observation redeem this particular piece of shit? Does the fact that it's especially polished somehow make it acceptable? Notice that I wrote "it feels like an even more retarded Tales of... game". Which means that Tales of games are pretty fucking retarded, and yes, I've played the recent ones.

"Getting a little harder every 10 levels or so" means that in about 100 levels fights should start requiring two neurons.

There's nothing wrong with games made for children - I like most Mario games, for example. However, Mario games are actual videogames that require hand-eye coordination and engage the brain.

This, on the other hand, does nothing. Pass.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The first game, though cute, was an absolute chore to play. I have no love for it. Saying that it did anything better is so misguided that I don't even know where to start. Try playing it again, it's awful. There's a reason everyone stopped playing it by cat town.

WRONG

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The first game, though cute, was an absolute chore to play. I have no love for it. Saying that it did anything better is so misguided that I don't even know where to start. Try playing it again, it's awful. There's a reason everyone stopped playing it by cat town.
And now: a clearly better game comes along that's actually done well, ported well, and combines about 3 genres seamlessly, let's all whine about it.

Have you played the recent Tales games, or really any recent JRPGs? The quality hasn't really been that good. This game actually has a fighting system, dungeons that aren't straight corridors, an open world with things in it, side quests. You now. Things that JRPGs used to have.

And yes this children's game starts really easy, but gets a little harder every 10 levels or so. It also does hold your hand a lot, but it could be a real clusterfuck otherwise with all the mechanics it has, so I'm fine with it.
The kingdom building is basic and superfluous to the game. Also the research tying in to gear and skill progression, while being real time only inside the game, forcing the players to constantly return to town to empty the small coffers and do new research... It's a shit gameplay loop.

The rts gameplay is basic and the fact that you are forced to grind this clearly shit gameplay mechanic because it ties into the main story progression is just retarded.

The battle system is just fill hit fast attack, kill everything. Find a boss? Hit fast attack, fill weapon gages, fire skills, maybe use the pikmin for lols.

This would be all tolerable with the actual story and characters were interesting. But no, so far the journey up to sailing around with my boat has been uterly forgettable. Not a single good character, no interesting quests or side quests beyond go there, kill this, fetch this.

Also I find it completely inexcusable the lack of voice acting, even during major plot points... Wtf is it with this low budget shit? This along with lack of cutscenes really breaks the feeling that the first game established that you were playing through an cutesy anime story.

If I had to categorize this game it would be low budget, low effort cash grab.

Hopefully dragon quest xi is better.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dq11 will be much better. just google gameplay vids of the JPN release game looks amazingggggg nggh i want it i want it

Doktor Best

Arcane
dq11 will be much better. just google gameplay vids of the JPN release game looks amazingggggg nggh i want it i want it

Newer Dragon Quest have für Same Problem of good low difficulty though.

Im currently playing DQ8 in 3ds ans after 11 hours or so only once i had a Fight in which one of my dudes vor knocked out. And i am restricting myself from using headgear...

Is there any Info on multiple difficulty modes in DQ11? Why are japanese developers so hesitant to implement them?

Doktor Best

Arcane

Newer Dragon Quest entriee have für same problem of too low difficulty though.

Im currently playing DQ8 in 3ds and after 11 hours or so only once i had one fight in which one of my dudes got knocked out. And i am restricting myself from using headgear...

Is there any Info on multiple difficulty modes in DQ11? Why are japanese developers so hesitant to implement them?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's kinda amusing for me to move on from a rat killing game (Vermintide 2) to another rat killing game (NNK2). The bosses are talking rats too!
Why the chibi characters in overworld though :negative:

jungl

Augur
You guys are delusional praising the original this much and bashing the sequel. If anything this game is the real time version of the previous turn based game and dragon quest type jrpgs. simplistic, easy, boring and made for japanese children.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, the "original" one, aka the DS one, was turn based IIRC.

In case anybody cares, you can "choose your own" difficulty by setting multipliers through the Cheat Engine. Reading people's posts, it seems you risk a rather uneven experience though.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/589360/discussions/0/1697168437867789592/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/589360/discussions/0/1697168437867789592/?ctp=11#c1697168437880437193

Personally, I think there is more to the lack of challenge than damage sliders can solve, though I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the fact that enemies are not very aggressive, maybe it's the lack of proper minibosses.

Regardless, the game is polished and pleasant enough to fill my time while I wait for Kingdom Come and Ghost of a Tale to get patched.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Feels like a hassle to increase enemy damage with cheat engine when you could just.. not wear better armor and get the same result. More enemy damage isn't really the solution to make the game harder. There are lots of enemies at the end game that can almost OHKO you. The problem is that the AI isn't aggressive enough/good enough and there's no way for it to counter the player going into the menu and healing up after suffering a near-death blow. I've had this same problem with several other ARPGs that have a similar combat system (Tales of, Star Ocean 5, White Knight Chronicles, Infinite Undiscovery and so on) where the game just feels like you're spamming attacks and the "challenge" comes from fighting against enemies who out class you in terms of levels and/or equipment but would be utter pushovers if you were fighting on equal grounds. This kind of combat isn't really tactical or player skill intensive by nature and so perhaps it's just flawed by design.
And that's without going into the fact that Level-5 aren't really great developers to begin with and cannot into game balance in the first place.

lightbane

Arcane
It seems the game is bad, if not worse, than a "Tales of 'x'" game, which is a feat considering they're already bottom-tier JRPGs. What a shame.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished the game. Honestly it reeked of a budget game through-and-through. Only a handful of different enemy models that get recycled throughout the entire game, lack of VA (not a big deal breaker for me or most people here I'd wager, but lots of people online are pissed) and a completely nonsensical and poorly balanced kingdom sim element that doesn't add anything useful. You waste your time waiting for hours to get your shit upgraded to be up to date just to find out that the stuff you can craft gear is worse than what you get from monster drops. Soundtrack was insultingly bad and it's obvious that Joe was merely phoning it in. The "Studio Ghibli" aesthetic of character design was the best thing about the game, and if not for that, this would've been a game that would go straight to the bargain bin upon release and forgotten after a week of its release.
Still, it was much better than any single Tales of game that I've played.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I couldn't stand the combat in the last game--turn based with real-time blocking? Wtf? Plus the shitty wannabe pokemon mechanics were horrid.

This game is moving back in line with the Dark Cloud/Rogue Galaxy-style action combat that Level 5 used to do well but yeah It's too easy and button-mashy.

OTOH---

Not a single good character

Except one of them is the President of the United States

flyingjohn

Arcane
Except one of them is the President of the United States
There is a japanese game that did it better:
iu

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i much preferred the combat in the 1st game over the mindless and repetitive LMB-clickfest of this disappointing sequel.

aweigh I checked out a video of DQXI and the combat seemed similar to Final Fantasy XII (move in realtime but issue commands through a menu). Is this the case? Can the actions of other party members be automated, with something similar to Gambits?

I liked FFXII a lot.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
aweigh I checked out a video of DQXI and the combat seemed similar to Final Fantasy XII (move in realtime but issue commands through a menu). Is this the case? Can the actions of other party members be automated, with something similar to Gambits?

I liked FFXII a lot.

I don't think so, I believe it's the same old stock DQ battle system from forever.

The Ni No Kuni battle system was based on White Knight Chronicles, which was meant for multiplayer psuedo-MMO gameplay. I've always felt that style of combat--which is based around a need to sync up multiple clients--is a poor fit for single-player RPGs. See also: FF12 and the Xenoblade Chronicles games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
So there's a Cheat Engine table done to make the game harder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom