Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
....are we gonna see a .... bad ending?

Edit: The face of a genius:

wNzdANg.gif

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because a lot of fans of NieR are RPG fans, and if you have a too action-oriented battle system, it just seems impossible for RPG fans to enjoy. So we’ve been really focusing on making it more open to more RPG-focused gamers out there so that they can also enjoy it. That’s our goal.
Fucking RPGfans ruining quality action games. Legend of Korra 2 incoming.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/19/12-things-we-learned-about-the-new-nier

This week at E3, game director Taro Yoko and executive producer Yosuke Saito revealed more details about the new Nier project. Though they were reluctant to go into detail about the combat system and story, they were willing to share a few other juicy tidbits about the game. Here are twelve things things we learned.

• There are three main protagonists in the game: the girl in the trailer (who is a completely new character), a young boy, and a character not yet revealed.
  • The story takes place in the same world, but most locations are new. Even if areas from the original Nier appear in the game, they will be completely redesigned.
  • The theme of the game is "agaku," a Japanese word that means to struggle/desperately fight your way out of a situation. (According to the translator.)
  • The story is completely new, and has very little connection to the original Nier.
  • Characters from the previous game may make a brief cameo, but will not be a part of the main story.
  • The development team is toying with the idea of allowing players to experience multiple playthroughs using each of the main characters.
  • The reason Platinum Games was chosen to develop the game was because of the developer's ability to do fast-paced combat.
  • The three protagonists may travel together at times, but not always. (This is still being decided.)
  • The reason the game is on the PS4 is because of the platform's high specs.
  • One of Platinum Games' goals is to have the game run at 60 FPS.
  • The early version of the battle system's is described as very "Nier-like."
  • There will be more towns and cities in the game, which will have a dilapidated look and feel to them.

bminorkey

Also, not sure if this was posted: http://drakengard-3.com/

• The new game will take place into the future, after Ending D of NieR.

• Neither Gestalts nor Replicants will make an appearance.

• Name drops of the previous NieR characters such as Nier, Yonah, and Kaine are likely, but that is all; however, Yoko Taro said that Emil will make an appearance. Likewise, Accord will also make an appearance in name only. He also said that a certain ******* character(s) will appear. Could this be Devola & Popola (DE-VO-LA-&-PO-PO-LA) or maybe even the Red Dragon (RE-D-DO DO-RA-GO-N)? The Dengeki Online interviewer seemed quite shocked by this news and wondered how it could be possible.

• Yoko Taro stated that those who never played the first NieR can play the new one without a problem; however, he went on to say that it might be more confusing for those who have played the first one. He fears that fans may not see or even accept this new game as a true sequel. The fans might even be pissed by it.

• Yoko Taro thinks the game has a “happy ending” but this statement startles both the Square Enix producer Saito Yosuke and Platinum Games game designer Taura when he says it. Yoko Taro is notorious for claiming a particular ending is “happy” when the general consensus calls it more tragic and sad than anything else. Saito goes on to say that he can’t see how there could possibly be a happy ending from the scripts he read. Yoko Taro then repeats, “I said it will be a happy ending! You don’t have to look so suspicious!”

• The Junk Heap will be revisited. It is unclear, however, if it will be the exact same location as in the first title.

• The concept art seemly does *not* depict Shinjuku but possibly other famous locations around the globe.

• There appears to be a robot standing within the ruins of an old shopping mall. Besides this, there are many other shots of ruins including something that looks like the Golden Gate bridge in San Fransisco and a huge, rundown amusement park.

• The image depicting a large building deep within a forest is called the “Forest Castle”.

• An alternative reading of the Celestial writing in the teaser trailer translates to “ANGEL HUMAN ROBOT”.

• Even those who are not very apt toward Action games will be able to complete this game because of the balance between the action and fun moments. Taura says this is the crux of the project.

• There are many fans of the previous game who work at Platinum Games, so they will be sure to treat it with diligent care. Without getting into details, they feel this new game is very much like a “NieR” title. The feeling of the previous title is still intact while increasing the enjoyment of the action.

• Since Yoko Taro is such a huge fan of the shooting genre, there will also be shooting segments in the game. Simply, there won’t be multiple genres shoved into a single game like the last one.

• There will be a myriad of weapons with Weapon Stories.

• There will be multiple playable characters that you can switch between. As far as the E3 announcement, it was stated that there will be 3 playable characters.

• You cannot freely switch between the playable characters until you unlock them through multiple play-throughs. This seems like a call-back to the first Drakengard where more characters became playable after each ending.

• The parameters for multiple play-throughs is different from previous games.

• Action sequences will vary between characters even when they use the same weapon. Connecting combos will be quite fluid.

• Besides the wild boar, there will be other types of vehicles as well.

• CyDesignation offered to do the design of the game since the president was a huge fan of Nier, not to mention many female fans in the company as well.

• Somewhere in the game, a rather disappointing but good-looking male character will make an appearance (this was the same way Cent was described in DOD3: “disappointing good-looking guy”).

• Emi Evans will be back to sing for the game!!

• There were ideas of making the next NieR game for smartphones or the PS Vita…but they decided to take things seriously–to really do it right–and make a great game for the PS4.

• The majority of the plot and dialogue has already been decided, and the new game will delve deeper within the “World of Yoko Taro”.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alonebadman

Educated
Unknown Character:
1.Devola or Popola
2.Shade Caim
3.Old Dragon Mikhael
4.Undead Angelus
5.DOD3 Black Flower Queen from Ending D

The thing I didn't realize for the longest time is the Red Eyes disease moved from Midgard to Earth. There's all this extra material that details the timeline after Nier. If there's no Gestalts or Replicants my money is it's connected to the Red Eyes.

Also, despite DOD3 concerning an alternate set of timelines that lead into DOD 1.3, the novel written for the games is essentially Branch E and led into the original drakengard and therefore Nier as a result.

bminorkey

Unknown Character:
1.Devola or Popola
2.Shade Caim
3.Old Dragon Mikhael
4.Undead Angelus
5.DOD3 Black Flower Queen from Ending D

The thing I didn't realize for the longest time is the Red Eyes disease moved from Midgard to Earth. There's all this extra material that details the timeline after Nier. If there's no Gestalts or Replicants my money is it's connected to the Red Eyes.

Also, despite DOD3 concerning an alternate set of timelines that lead into DOD 1.3, the novel written for the games is essentially Branch E and led into the original drakengard and therefore Nier as a result.

There is a DLC for DoD3 - I think it was only released in Japan - that's entirely about Mihael if you want to google it. It's really nice too (but short). Someone put a translated LP up on youtube (it's Zero's DLC)

Adon

Arcane

Square Enix recently revealed the new NieR project as NieR: Automata, where you’ll play as an android protagonist to fight on behalf of mankind that fled to the moon. This week’s issue of Famitsu magazine provides a closer look at the game and its latest details. [Thanks, Game Jouhou.]

Distant future.

Extraterrestrials suddenly invaded. Deploying the “LIving Machines” that they created, mankind left to the moon after being overwhelmed by their force.

Mankind put together a resistance, made of combat-type android soldiers, in order to take back the Earth. In order to go past the stand still of the war situation, mankind also put together a unit of “YoRHa,” a new kind of combat-type androids.

In no man’s battlefield, the intense fight between the Living Machines and androids rages on… and this fight will open the door of the unknown in due time.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/2...on-its-android-protagonist-story-and-setting/

R5p0SOS.png

The official name is “YoRHa No. 2 Type-B.” A combat-type android that was dispatched as part of the “YoRHa” infantry unit that consists of battle androids. Gender is unknown.

82RuQhQ.png

PBLIGHK.png

NRPhDE9.jpg

w7jaA4A.jpg

Mankind created the combat androids after retreating to the moon when the extraterrestrials attacked. While they are forbidden to have any emotions, each model has their own personalities, and YoRHa 2B has one that is calm and collected.

Living Machines:

Scne4VH.png

The Living Machines are autonomous weapons created by the extraterrestrials to invade Earth. In addition to being able to restore and reconstruct themselves, they can even create other new machines.

The Barren Land:

FjnIVC8_thumb.png

The above is a look at the Earth after mankind fled to the moon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ness-of-the-original-and-a-little-more-polish

Nier's sequel will have all the weirdness of the original, plus a little more polish
Why Square Enix revived a cult classic, and what to expect from the sequel.

jpg

By Martin Robinson Published 29/10/2015

It was, in its own way, the biggest surprise of this year's E3. In a year when we got the announcements of Shenmue 3, the remake of Final Fantasy 7 and the return of The Last Guardian, that's not bad going. No-one outside of Square Enix could have predicted that, five years after the original's middling reception played a part in the closure of developer Cavia, Nier was to get a sequel.

Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised. Nier was always great at wrong footing people.

"The first game, it wasn't necessarily a massive success," admits Square Enix producer Yosuke Saito, a member of the original team who's returning for the sequel. "But we really did want to make a sequel right from the start, we'd always have liked to have done that. Unless we could get together a team and it makes sense business wise anyway then we really couldn't do it anyway."

Saito has done strong work in getting that team together. Composer Keiichi Okabe returns, while character artist Akihiko Yoshida - the man who penned the inhabitants of Final Fantasy's Ivalice, and more recently Eorzea - lends his own talents. Platinum Games is there to ensure the action's got a razor sharp edge and, most importantly, the eccentric, adorable Taro Yoko is back in the director's chair.

"After making the first two Drakengard games I really wanted to make a third game in the series and was aching to do that," says Yoko as he sits beside Saito in a hotel restaurant in Paris, revealing new details on what is now called Nier Automata. "I went to the producer and he said nah, we don't really need to make another Drakengard. I was quite annoyed at that! Then an opportunity came to do a game with Mr. Saito, so I used what I'd already planned out with Drakengard 3 with this project, and that's what became Nier.

"After we finished Nier, I said to Mr. Saito I wanted to make another Nier game, and do a Nier sequel. But he said it didn't sell particularly well so we couldn't make one, and it just so happened in another place the opportunity came to do Drakengard 3, so it was pretty much the same thing over again."

The first Nier started as a spin-off from the Drakengard series, though as those who have played it will tell you it quickly became much more than that. A genre-splicing, offbeat and frequently touching action RPG, the middling critical reception it received at the time soon gave way to cult status. It's one of those rare games, Jeffrey recently suggested, that gets better with age.

"It was a bit of an experiment really," says Yoko. "I remember at the time thinking modern games, they're really well made and they've got so much love and time put into making them expansive and great, but once you've played most of them for 30 minutes you get an idea what they're like right to the end, and that's a bit boring. You're not going to see anything new after that. I decided we're going to keep mixing it up and changing the gameplay styles and try to achieve that with Nier.

Nier Automata, of course, will carry on providing those sudden shifts "The basic framework of the game is similar to the first," explains Yoko. "You've got action bits and you've got adventuring and exploration as well. When I first got the request to set the game up from Saito-san, he requested a more action type of game, but I personally wanted to make something that was closer to Ocarina of Time, where you've got lots of field areas and you travel and do battle. I thought it was a really natural, really nice way for the game to be, so I tried to twist his brief to make it more of the kind of thing I wanted to make, and I think I've got it more of mine than his."

186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100

Even within the first ten minutes, the expectations of the audience are going to be radically challenged, and Yoko's keen to keep up that pace. "I really want to keep that turnaround of surprises for the player in Nier 2. I like doing new things, and I'm going try and experiment and add something new and different. It may fail, it may not be received well, but I really want to add that and create that uniqueness. Maybe I should make a really boring, tedious game. They'd be surprised by that instead!"

"There's one other idea I had recently to make the game a big surprise to people," he carries on, with a prankish smile. "That was to give you random endings as paid DLC. But they said no to that. The team really didn't like that idea." Yoko, as you can probably tell, is a mischievous sort. When asked what it is that defines Yoko's games, Saito suggests, simply, that it's drinking. "It's quite weird," says Yoko. "All the stories I write when I'm drunk are the ones that are really popular. It's probably the players rather than me though." It's that same mischievous spirit you can sense in the freewheeling madness of Nier, more of which is promised in Automata. While it will retain elements of the original, and some characters will return, it's essentially a new start with a new cast. Story details remain slim, with the newly revealed basic set-up being that humanity has been banished to the moon after an apocalyptic event on earth, with mechanoids being sent to the planet's surface to try and reclaim it. 2B, the one character that's been revealed so far who looks like she recently stopped over in one of Akihabara's maid cafes, is one of those androids.

Given how so much of Nier's appeal is its ability to surprise, you'd kind of hope that the story details remain slim. "Obviously we're going to have to reveal more information at some point," says Saito. "It's difficult, and we've got to be mindful of what we show. What we're showing now is a development of what we saw in the first game. If we showed the more out there parts, the people who played the original will think it's something completely different - you don't want to give the wrong impression. The other thing we really want to get it is, because it's made by Platinum Games, they make really cool action games."

jpg

Perhaps the greatest thing to come out of the collaboration between Square Enix and Platinum is how Yoko and Kamiya are now drinking buddies. 'I like drinking with him around the office,' he says. 'There's quite a lot of dirty conversation going on.'

Platinum Games' involvement is an attempt to sidestep the one main criticism aimed at the original Nier, namely its technical shortcomings. "I remember at the time we brought out the game, people were starting to know how to use the PS3 and 360 and get some good quality out of them, says Saito. "Development of Nier was delayed a little while, and in the first year when we were doing the base engine for the game, it didn't take shape for a long time. Maybe we came out a bit later than the other games that we started in development as our contemporaries, so we were against games that were really, really good. Maybe that linked in to why we didn't get a great Metacritic rating at the time. It's certainly one of our regrets."

To that end, Square Enix is announcing that the sequel is shooting for 60fps - and, beyond that, players can expect a game with the polish that's typical of Nier Automata's developer. "Certainly Platinum Games is renowned for making great games," says Saito, "They've got a very good reputation, and the games they produce people can be very confident that they'll have a good experience. Having them onboard for Nier was very important to this project. The other great thing about Platinum Games is because they're so talented it really frees up Mr. Yoko to do what his best and write the story, and get that weird stuff out of his head. It's really comfortable for him to work with them, because they're just so good."

"It's interesting," Yoko chimes in. "All the time I spent on the original getting angry at the development team, obviously Platinum's removed that by working so well, so I spend that time drinking. In the end it hasn't really changed how much work I do. But when I drink I make better games, so that's okay."

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So this is the game I'll buy a console for.

The music in the trailer reminds me of some track(s) from FF XIII-2, at least if memory serves.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
:d1p:
At last, a reason to buy a PS4.
I do like the similarity of the eyepatch on Android 2B to Nier's eyepatch. (COINCIDENCE????)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
GOTY every year from release.

Can you go wrong with two developers who both love drinking?

Ivan

Arcane
I don't know anything about Nier but you had me:d1p: at Platinum + AAA budget.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
:bro:

Music comes across to me as closer to Zone of Enders, but maybe that just comes from my association with that series. Compared to FFXIII-2 that I only put in the minimum amount of time to unlock all the different endings before stopping -- can't really remember the music. It's good to see that Nier Automata will continue to have a godly OST.

Given that I really liked Nier despite it's mediocre, dull combat + Platinum, who've made my favorite games these past few years, makes this a :d1p:

lightbane

Arcane
So FemNier (or not, it could be Kaine). I wonder what kind of horrible shit they'll do to torture the players, especially the completionists. And children, let's not forget that. Granted, the setting makes the latter difficult, but I'm sure Yoko will find out the way to do so. :incline:

EDIT: Ending A will be about how the protagonist "accidentally" nukes the Moon, killing all of the humans. And I bet that will be the most optimistic one. :troll:

Last edited:

paintinggrey

Scholar
Looks fucking great!!

Some of the same weapons are returning, if i am not too mistaken that looks like Beastlord or Beastbain she is carrying

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
So FemNier (or not, it could be Kaine). I wonder what kind of horrible shit they'll do to torture the players, especially the completionists. And children, let's not forget that. Granted, the setting makes the latter difficult, but I'm sure Yoko will find out the way to do so. :incline:

EDIT: Ending A will be about how the protagonist "accidentally" nukes the Moon, killing all of the humans. And I bet that will be the most optimistic one. :troll:

Not sad enough. It would also include the main characters body slowly failing without maintenance until he cannot move. Then, days away from losing all power, Emil rolls over and starts talking about how lonely he's been and how glad he is to have finally found a friend.

Then he shuts down.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
there won’t be multiple genres shoved into a single game like the last one.
and now
When I first got the request to set the game up from Saito-san, he requested a more action type of game, but I personally wanted to make something that was closer to Ocarina of Time, where you've got lots of field areas and you travel and do battle.
My fear that this could be a stupid action game without soul is not dissipated. Of course I wouldn't say that fishing was a good part of the game, but Nier had much more to offer than its only story (the "horror" exploration parts were very good for example).

Lucky

Arcane
Everything's looking good. Can't wait to play this on the PC! And the NieR port, too, of course!

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Damn that trailer looks slick. NieR with good gameplay. Incautiously fapping.

Adon

Arcane
HQ screenshots and artwork for anyone interested. There's a few new pieces of concept art, too.

1446147187-1.jpg

1446148398-1.jpg

1446148403-2.jpg

1446148399-3.jpg

1446148402-4.jpg

1446148749-1.jpg

1446148749-2.jpg

1446148750-3.jpg

1446147187-2.jpg

1446147188-3.jpg

1446149061-nier-automata-1.jpg

1446149061-nier-automata-2.jpg

1446149061-nier-automata-3.jpg

1446149061-nier-automata-4.jpg

1446149061-nier-automata-5.jpg

1446149062-nier-automata-6.jpg

ultimanecat

Arcane
Here I was shitting on the current consoles, and now they've roped me in. And so the great circle goes unbroken...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom