Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Dayyālu

Arcane
I still can't believe how bad TheDarkId's LP of this was. He was the one who introduced me to the insanity of the Yokoverse, you know?

Man's getting old. After 10 years many things change.

The last of his LPs that I enjoyed a lot was the 3rd Birthday. Automata felt more like an obligation that something he truly wanted to do.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I think you nailed it right here. It felt like he was just going through the motions with Drakengard 3 too (it just didn't matter as much, 'cause !!!DRAKENGARD!!!).

Drakengard 3 was already written like a Dark Id LP. He tried in the beginning to re-write it in its style, but how you can snark fourth-wall-breaking rewrite a game that's already peak snark fourth-wall-breaking?

WHERE IS MY DRAKENGARD 3 AND NIER PC PORT

WHERE IT IS

HACK FRAUDS

Perkel

Arcane
Image43.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
Finished path A. Was OK, but a bit lackluster in isolation, certainly WAY behind the first run of the original Nier, which I found better in almost every respect.

But it was still good. Had a fair amount of charm, and surprising they've managed to include a lot of open world tropes which I usually hate, and make them half-enjoyable.

Found combat a mixed bag, really great fun at times & works well, but often too messy esp with 9S constantly on screen too. Fair few times I got confused as to which black-garbed Yorah unit I was.

Really like the skill system in the game, very nice. I would like to see 2B's bald cunt-hole.

Modron

Arcane
If you are having trouble following 2b in combat you should detonate yourself, the results should make it easier to follow 2B going forward. Also buy the dress module or whatever it was called to lock that down.
:love:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I got Nier Automata to work.
Pretty good game. Love the soundtrack and writing, though I did notice a few things about the gameplay

- Use a controller. Seriously, the game hates mouse and keyboard users, and will make your life harder by forcing you to break your A and D keys by making you furiously double tap them to dodge.
- 9s is a little shit that will get in your way, especially on the 2d sections
- In some areas its easy to confuse 2B with 9S, as they have the same color pallets

v1rus

Arcane
How much would I be missing if I never played Drakengard trilogy/Nier?

Im certain Im gunna luv this game, so Im also ready to invest in its prequels. Would you say I should go for full investment (Drakengard), just Nier, or none of 'em?

Dayyālu

Arcane

Im certain Im gunna luv this game, so Im also ready to invest in its prequels. Would you say I should go for full investment (Drakengard), just Nier, or none of 'em?

Nothing.

Drakengards are only veeeery faint background, Nier is background but you lose little. If you have to play one, original Nier.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

First Nier is worth playing, and apparently runs pretty well on emulator if you don't have a ps3. You won't miss anything important in terms of references by skipping it, but the first Nier is the better game IMO even though it's rougher around the edges, the lows are lower and the combat is worse. That said, the strengths and weaknesses of both games are pretty much the same, so if you're only playing one of them you'd be fine going with Automata.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I never played Drakengard and didn't finish Nier, but I still loved Automata. I probably missed a lot of connections but I don't care about the lore that much anyway. N:A stands on its own.

v1rus

Arcane
Didnt know Nier is a PS3 exclusive. Have a PS3 tho, so its no probs. Gonna play Nier for sure then.

Now, time to decide what with Drakengards. Hm. Are they even remotely good?

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Didnt know Nier is a PS3 exclusive. Have a PS3 tho, so its no probs. Gonna play Nier for sure then.

Even in his current soy-infused state, I'd still recommend you just catch the LPs by TheDarkID. The Drakengards are never even remotely worth the headache.

v1rus

Arcane
There's a p. good video explaining the lore if you don't wanna play the games:

Not that I dont want to - dont know if I should.

Being an OCD maniac, I'd like to play full series from first, to the last one.

But seeing how miserably that failed numerous times (Wizardry/Might and Magic :negative:), thinking a change of attitude is in order.

Adon

Arcane
None of the Drakengard games are any good, they’re only remembered because of their mindfuckery endings, but are otherwise just mediocre hack n slash games.

Dayyālu

Arcane

Drakengard 3 is the only one worth it due to almost-acceptable gameplay and wide array of fetishes (seriously).

The others, yeah, read the DarkId LPs. Guy is nowadays tired, but he was fairly fun in his career.

His Caim is best Caim.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Finished A, onto B

My impressions -

I like how they added extra little cutscenes to flesh out the world a bit more. You get to find out more about Simone's backstory (which is pretty fucked up, by the way), the world and even get to see interactions between Adam and Eve. Obvious biblical references are obvious (Eve is eating an Apple).

I'm a bit torn on 9S's gameplay. His melee sucks, but his hacking ability is pretty powerful, capable of one shotting most enemies. Switching to hacking mode constantly is a little jarring though.

An interesting (and hilarious touch) is when you go through the calibration part again. When they said they were recording it, they weren't kidding.

You can actually find a joke ending pretty early as 9s. Just ignore the prompt to go into the flight unit and go exploring. I got a chuckle out of that.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
9S is actually a beast in regular combat if you're using a spear with a shockwave chip. The throwing-attack he does is pretty ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom