Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Night In The Woods

AN4RCHID

Arcane
George weedman reviewed the game

he liked it cause he related to the characters

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry for necro-ing this thread and a small rambling below, but HOLY SHIT I don't think I've ever played any game that resonates with me in such a long time like this one.

this part is a bit about myself which is hugely boring so you probably don't wanna read that

So... I grew up in an average family, my parents provided basically everything I need (not want) and I somehow didn't turn out to be an annoying brat. I depended too much on them, and I created a chamber for myself as a result of literally not being to take care of myself. I didn't have many friends, I didn't talk much, I didn't have passion, I didn't have a specific aim for my own life, and worse of all, I didn't realize all of my problems at that time. I thought living alone without bothering anyone else around me would be doing them a favor because I had this impression that nobody wanted to associate with me because I was a very boring kid. I started distancing from my parents' families, I stopped sitting in dinner table, I rarely went out of my room for any reason other than food, I never hanged out with "friends" and all those things kept leaking into college years, which marked the time that I realized I'm in deep shit. I dropped out after 3 years and tried to hang myself three times because I had this childish idea which is nobody gonna give a shit if I go away, but being a huge pussy, I didn't dare to do it for real. My parents didn't mind me dropping out, and I appreciate that they tried to help me out of whatever in my mind despite them not really understanding why I felt troubled.

In the fourth year when my college friends uploaded graduation pics and started looking for jobs, I decided to venture away. I was fortunate enough to meet a lot of new friends who are older than me, cared about me, had the same hobbies and passions as mine, and somehow was fine of me staying silence in conversations because they respect me for who I am, and, well I just simply started talking and socializing more. For once I felt like I'm no longer invisible, which is ironic because it started happening once I began living alone. I landed a job, I earn enough for me and my little devil who entered the game years later, most of my thoughts these days don't involve killing myself which is a huge plus I guess.

2 weeks ago my grandmother died. I went back to my hometown and suddenly, I realized that I hadn't met my father's famillies who are the most supportive people in my life in the last 8+ years.

They were eager to see my face, asked me about my life, my career, my kid and invited me to hang out on weekend sometimes.

Meanwhile I almost forgot all of their names and they didn't mind. I left a wooden cross sticking on the ground next to a coconut tree near the entrance back when I was in 8th grade, it's still there.

I forgot when was the last time I talked to my grandma. By the time I reached her house, she was breathing through tube. She died one and a half day later. I didn't get to say goodbye.

I didn't meet them in all those years because I was a fucking idiot who thought nobody liked me.

The section where Mae and Bea went to the supermarket in Night in the Woods is simply beautiful to me me. It signified Mae memories blurred by nostalgia and thieved by harsh reality. She kept asking about things that no longer exist, did things that no responsible adult (as she claims to be) would do, and that segment captured an incredible vision of what stolen youth would have been.

Mae is flawed as hell, she's irresponsible, she didn't realize that the world and other people's lives don't revolve around her, she kept arguing that she has matured yet never successfully showed that she did. People calling her out on her bullshit was realistic as hell, and the realization that she has dissociative disorder was an incredible revelation. It was a justification and vindication at the same time.

It hit a bit too close to home to me. I found Mae's disappointment to the fact that everything has changed from her memories (which was the result of her mental illness) to be a parallel of my disappointment at myself for blurring my own perception towards my youth (which was also the result of mental illness - which I had very little knowledge of at that time and had to get diagnosis years later). Honestly, while typing all of these right now, I want to call my parents to tell them that I owe them an apology, for pushing them away from my life, for making their lives harder because their kid didn't behave like a normal person, and for making them witness me losing myself in the time that's supposed to be the most wonderful age in a human's life, all thanks to this game.

I can totally understand why a lot of people don't like it, but honestly if you have the same bumpy mind situation at young age, I suggest giving it a try.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, playing through Life is Strange to me was like trying to drink bleach mixed with broken glass, dead rats and 1000 years old semen. It's fucking bizarre that a story about humanoid animals feel much more humane, affective and poignant than a story that straight up has teenagers in it, but it happened.

Not sorry for necro-ing this thread but GOD DAMN IT I've been playing this on game pass and honest to god loving the shit out of it. I don't have the same degree of personal connection to it as Belegarsson but I agree with him that NitW feels a million times more genuine than Life is Strange, and in fact I'm surprised how good the writing's been. Haven't finished it yet so maybe it jumps the shark or shits itself (And since it looks like you kinda get the choice of either Bea or Gregg, maybe opting for Gregg changes the tone of things. I've been going with Bea to try to both cheer Bea up and ground the goddamn retarded cat, so it should hopefully be good for both of them) but it is actually touching me more than 99.9% of "Slice of life character dramas" or whatever.

I will do a modicum of harrumphing about the gameplay though. Essentially no puzzles, some very light platforming, and that's basically it. Certainly falls under the walking simulator category of adventure games, which I've increasingly found I tend to like. Still haven't looked at some of the major namesakes of the subgenre like Gone Home, but I probably will after I'm finding myself loving this and seriously enjoyed Soma and Tacoma. Another minor bitch about the game is the weird decision for keyboard-only controls. Feels like it was designed with a controller first and then half-assed in some keyboard controls, which isn't a HUGE issue for a game like this but I'd still like to recline in my chair and just point and click.

Also gotta agree with the good dwarf that Life is Strange seriously pissed me off too. Theoretically I should like it more because time travel's cool and furries are furries, but I wouldn't really recommend Life is Strange to anyone while Night in the Woods would get a hearty recommendation to deviants that like walking simulators. I suppose it's because one has humans saying "Yowzers" while the other has more believably flawed characters that happen to be animals.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Also gotta agree with the good dwarf that Life is Strange seriously pissed me off too. Theoretically I should like it more because time travel's cool and furries are furries, but I wouldn't really recommend Life is Strange to anyone while Night in the Woods would get a hearty recommendation to deviants that like walking simulators.

I liked LiS, especially Before the Storm.

Finished NitW. Excellent story. Didn't jump the shark, ending was a wild ride but worked because you spent so long with a positively mild ride up to that point. Enjoyed the writing on the characters a ton. Might be because I didn't take any Gregg activities and Gregg did seem the weakest of the bunch, but god damn. Just really impressed by it. Glad I went into it blind since knowing the ultimate destination probably would've lessened the impact a little, even if it wouldn't have hindered the writing. Suppose I should see if there are alternate endings too, since I'm curious if things could play out differently. C&C-wise I just noticed some relatively minor little bits, but I could also see the ending itself differing based on your actions a smidge.

Good shit though. Actually was one of the more touching games I've played.

I liked LiS, especially Before the Storm.
Not gonna say you're wrong to like it, but it certainly didn't float my boat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom