Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Nighthawks - urban fantasy vampire CYOA RPG written by Richard Cobbett and published by Wadjet Eye

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Life of the Party, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Sacibengala Learned

Sacibengala
    kain-soul reaver was the best and more original settings about vampires ever. Even that most of the games was subpar. The good ones was the first kain and the first soul reaver.
    Castlevania was symphony of the night. I can't think of another one that was good enough to be remembered.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    If you try really hard Bloodborne can be Vampiric. Legacy of Kain is such a sore spot with me. The soundtrack was my favorite part of Soul Reaver when it came down to it. Now we will never get a proper sequel. As usual.

^ Top  
  3. garren Arcane

garren
    On a side note, we're never going to get another decent WoD game if the source material is any indication: https://8ch.net/tg/res/387148.html

Show Spoiler

Fascism in Play

Vampire: The Masquerade is not a fascist-friendly game. If you are a neo-Nazi, "alt-righter", or whatever you’re calling yourself nowadays, we urge you to put this book down and call someone who you trust to talk about where you went so wrong in your life.

That said, Kindred culture is inherently monstrous. Part of the political horror of Vampire: The Masquerade is surviving in a culture that worships the Bad Old Ways. Large parts of Kindred society (especially the Camarilla and the Sabbat) adhere to cults of tradition, ascribes to the idea of humiliating their enemies with overwhelming wealth and force, and praises religious fundamentalism or even pre-modern ideals like feudal rule.

Many Kindred are old enough to remember WWII in detail and are bound to have opinions on what’s going on in the world right now. Even so, it’s pretty easy to steer the game away from totalitarian perspectives.

Emphasize the differences between individual vampires, and between factions as well as inside factions. Tell stories about infighting, surprising kindness, and new ideas. Play thin-bloods, Caitiff, Anarchs, or even Camarilla members in a Hellene city where most of the Ivory Tower’s traditions have been adapted to suit the present. Another way is to play is to portray Kindred society in all its malicious (and fascist) glory, but let the player characters oppose the system, from the inside or from without.

What if someone wants to play a fascist, though, or a Storyteller wants to introduce a fascist SPC? There are plenty of those throughout the World of Darkness — monsters, but many with pretty faces. They can be a tragic villain, or a former friend who fell, or even someone who the player characters think of as an ally. They might be the Brujah neo-Nazi, the far-right Ventrue billionaire, or the Tzimisce eugenicist.

Whatever face they present, the player characters should be given the satisfaction of redeeming or destroying them eventually.

After all, the player characters are something unique and special — something fascists cannot abide.

Remember: playing a character whose opinions you oppose can be a great way to understand how supremacist ideas work and how to spot and fight them in the real world.

Fictionally experiencing seductive perspectives like blaming the Other, conforming to norms and fighting for a grand purpose, can help you spot these tendencies in yourself and others and diminish their power over you.

This is all in character, of course. At the time of writing, the real world is currently inundated with far-right fascist ideologies being given free reign by wellmeaning people who want to preserve civility.

If you see people at your table opening up with altright talking points, we encourage you to shut that shit down. If you become uncomfortable with a storyline in game because of what’s happening out of game, use one of the techniques listed here.

You are not obligated to tolerate fascists in-game or out-of-game. This game is a way to tell stories about understanding and perhaps fixing some of the darkness in our own world.

Use that to your advantage.

• hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ...what

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cherry blossom Arcane

cherry blossom
    Ah, so it is a visual novel / interactive fiction, after all. Nothing of worth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    CYOA is the new RPG. :M

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    According to Age of Decadence fans - yes, yes it is :D

• Funny x 11
    • Brofist x 2
    • nice x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Harry Easter Learned

Harry Easter
    Hmm, reminds like an old browsergame, that I once played (Vampires versus Werewolves or something else). If this is all the gameplay we get ... meh? Damn, how hard can it be to develop another good vampire RPG? At least one, where we hunt them should be possible. They are brillant antagonists. Meh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    This doesn't look good, but I think a CYOA style RPG has potential. The style of game kind of reminds me of the old dialogue preview that Scott (screeg ?) put out for Cyclopean a while back. That one was pretty fun, and it would be cool if it was developed into its own game.

^ Top  
  10. Brother Rat Novice

Brother Rat
    So much mental gymnastics to avoid admitting that fascism is fun.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Big Wrangle Guest

Big Wrangle
    Came in expecting Quest of Glory: Vampire Edition, but apparently it's a CYOA kinda thingie. Guess we'll see how it goes. The trailer was really weird though, and not in the interesting way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2018
    ^ Top  
  12. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    It... really doesn't look good. The writing has to be massively better for this kind of game.

^ Top  
  13. TZ3K Arcane

TZ3K
    Richard is very chatty on his discord, I suppose you could get some direct answers from him https://discord.gg/wGDqzTu .

^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    My guess is that you will be able to make straight people "crooked" and turn normal people into sjws.

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    It looks really bad,well at least the thread will be interesting and amusing.
    The game will be filled with similar shit:
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Canoli Arbiter

Darth Canoli
    RPG ?
    Looks like a dating sim with vampires to me, all hail, twilight shit will be playable soon.

:killit:

Show Spoiler
    I think i'm going to puke ...

^ Top  
  17. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Nighthawks, that name alone reminds me of:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ItsChon Cipher Patron

ItsChon
    Quality post. This was a nice listen.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jacob Obviously Arcane Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    To be fair, it is hard. Not every game devs are Troika

:negative:

• Despair Despair x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    You talk as if there is another studio even close to troika.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Despair Despair x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    This looks bad. Just like the modern OWoD. *Checks link* From "all non-Christian religions are the DEVIL! LITERALLY!!" to this...

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal

^ Top  
  23. Fargus Savant

Fargus
    Sunless Sea writer? Thats all i need to know to stay the fuck away from this garbage.

^ Top  
  24. Shackleton Arbiter Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    Glad I'm not the only one who remembers:

[​IMG]

But then we also have:

[​IMG]

Such an unimaginative name, puts me off straightaway. The sort of name an edgy teen comes up with when he's trying to sound cool.

^ Top  
  25. cherry blossom Arcane

cherry blossom
    The only thing of worth with that name:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)