Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Nighthawks - urban fantasy vampire CYOA RPG written by Richard Cobbett and published by Wadjet Eye

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just not sure having an origin that is specifically tied on China also being specifically tied to an Orientalist stereotype is the right approach, that's all. But at least sorcery didn't make them "inscrutable," so there's that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Hopefully Nighthawks will manage its trick of being both while offering something new and different.
"This game's writing is absolutely atrocious in all possible regards, but gee I sure hope it won't suck :^)"

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just not sure having an origin that is specifically tied on China also being specifically tied to an Orientalist stereotype is the right approach, that's all. But at least sorcery didn't make them "inscrutable," so there's that.
To bad the setting isn't 150 years ago and everything thus far reads like fan fiction.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Until recently, many of them didn't even realise that there were others of their kind, considering themselves alone to be cursed with a miserable, endless existence.
Most older vampires admit that the biggest curse of immortality is boredom, as all memories of past pleasure fade away, and soon all that is left is the tick-tick-tick of an empty, solitary life that they still can't surrender.
Unlike many vampire settings though, there's no up-side. Drinking blood is not an orgasmic experience - indeed, most don't like the taste and can't initially handle it without gagging.
That's certainly an... unusual take on vampires. If there is one dominant theme throughout vampire fiction, its sensuality and hedonism. What's the point of eternal life if you're not enjoying it? Why haven't these sad vampires dawned themselves already?

Nighthawks is set shortly after vampires have been revealed to the world
...but why only now?
Sounds like Cobbett has once again decided to do groundbreaking unexpected genre tweaks in order to make the game itself much less fun and interesting.

Also I notice that the lowest "get the game" backer level has "your name in the game" as a reward. Not looking forward to the text saying "Vampire hunters Chelsea Greene and Amarjeet Melanija attack you!"

Pass unless I hear good things.
Bro they said "your name in the credits". Not in the game itself.

EDIT: Oh I see the NPC thing. I guess it's just a randomizer.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I can't even tell who's arguing what at this point, but I'm also not sure why everyone is so pessimistic. Richard and Dave been close comrades for years and both are widely regarded as superb storytellers. Unavowed and Nighthawks are very similar urban fantasy visual novels, and Unavowed has gotten rave reviews (even on the Codex). While The Long Journey Home struggled on Steam (66% positive), Sunless Sea did well (83%), and both received compliments for their writing. Ultimately, I think this is going to be a McDowell's to V:TM's McDonalds, but since everyone loves V:TM, is that such a bad thing? It's like Choice of the Vampire with graphics.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure why everyone is so pessimistic. ... The Long Journey Home received compliments for [its] writing ...
The moment-to-moment writing in TLJH might be good; one fundamental decision made it all meaningless, though. "No one - including you - really cares about your presence here." Turning a voyage of mystery and wonder into mundane road trip in a broken-down minivan ruined the whole premise for me. Here, vampires don't really like blood that much and their presence is public knowledge. Let's throw away genre conventions again! for no evident reason and regardless of negative impact on the setting. Not a promising start.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Ultimately, I think this is going to be a McDowell's to V:TM's McDonalds, but since everyone loves V:TM, is that such a bad thing? It's like Choice of the Vampire with graphics.

I like your sense of humor :P

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Here, vampires don't really like blood that much and their presence is public knowledge. Let's throw away genre conventions again! for no evident reason and regardless of negative impact on the setting. Not a promising start.
While I really liked V:TM:B, I'm not really into the genre much, but isn't that basically the premise of the show True Blood?

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here, vampires don't really like blood that much and their presence is public knowledge. Let's throw away genre conventions again! for no evident reason and regardless of negative impact on the setting. Not a promising start.
While I really liked V:TM:B, I'm not really into the genre much, but isn't that basically the premise of the show True Blood?
According to wikipedia, yes. :)

I'm not "into" the genre either, but I appreciate some of its themes: namely, things like what does it mean to be a monster, sharing some commonalities with humans and even able to blend among them, but still a monster and apart from them. Isolation and obscurity are crucial elements of that. Efforts like Nighthawks and True Blood to turn vampires into "just misunderstood dudes with a problem" really miss the point. My opinion obviously.

Big Wrangle

Well, you don't see anyone call it the Killer7 of vampire fiction. You need an excellent writer if you wanna the genre conventions over their heads like that.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd appreciate a proper Vlad Drakul sim over a V:TM type game these days.
Urban Fantasy isn't really as appealing when almost everything reads like urban fantasy these days. An honest to goodness gothic vampire RPG would be pretty cool.

And no that Vampyr game doesn't count.

Plisken

Learned

yes and its primarily a sexual fantasy for middle aged women, much in the same vein as twilight except catering towards those old gals that who got bored of rubbing their twats to edward sparkles and needed more rape to accompany the cunt smashing with their dildos

to that end, dropping genre conventions is a feature in that shit, not a bug.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/posts/2282070

Nighthawks Exposed #3 - Let's Talk Freedom
Posted by Richard Cobbett

We've talked about the lore, so let's spend some time on the actual game. Nighthawks isn't a fixed story, and it's not a simple series of question marks with associated quests. Instead, it's a mix of life simulation and RPG... but what does that mean?

Put simply, it's about freedom. Each Act of the story is up to a month long (with the overall story taking place over about three years) and within a few boundaries, you get to do what you want with that time. Work on your friendships. Pursue side-quests. Explore. Work on your various stats. Wander around and have random encounters. It's up to you.

Should You Choose To Accept It...
Instead of a main quest chain, the majority of the game focuses on more general Objectives. In the first Act, that's a simple one. You have to pay your hotel bill, which means making money. Later, they get more complicated. To accomplish your Objectives, you go out in search of stories, from rumours collected by your bartender, Becca, to random encounters on the street, or direct requests from other characters. These stories and the decisions you make during them also help define your character, your place in vampire society, and how other people think of you. Get caught lying too often, for instance, and your Untrustworthy reputation will follow you around until you can shake it. Don't do favours for people, and they won't be there to do them for you when you come calling. It's essentially a life-simulation core that splinters off into modular stories, each exploring a different facet of the world.

(Incidentally, if you're thinking this structure sounds a little bit like the second chapter of Baldur's Gate 2, have a cookie. It's very much inspired by that...)

What makes things more complicated is that along with doing this, you have to feed - be it hunting for blood - and the passing of time isn't just a counter. If you're caught out by the sun, you'll fry. If you go too long without eating, that'll cause its own problems. This isn't like survival games where you can't go five minutes without drinking your body-weight and similar - you don't need to be constantly hunting. Staying healthy is however a priority, one made harder not just by thirst, but by blood corrupted by drugs, alcohol and disease.

In addition, other characters in the world have their own lives that will usually take precedence over your problems. They're not a party in the sense that they're your minions, but characters who may - if it suits them - be willing to join you for the night. They won't always be available. Madame Lux, for instance, is employed as a stage magician, and can't go adventuring when she has a set to perform. That means that if you have a quest you want to bring her along for, you have to choose whether or not to wait until she's available, go alone, or maybe bring someone less suitable along. As well as make it worth her time.

On top of this, you'll also encounter more traditional quest-options as you explore, with regular characters having their backstories and current-day problems to unlock and get involved with, opportunistic work that's randomly generated if you're in urgent need of quick cash or favour, and critical path quests that advance the main storyline to its wildly divergent endings. Honing your skills will also swallow up time, as hours pass while you attend nightschools to learn languages, or practice hand-to-hand combat in the docklands fighting pits. Such things may cost you much of a night, but can pay dividends when you find yourself having to translate something... or punch someone through a wall.

Balancing The Scales
Don't worry if this sounds fiddly or overly complicated. In particular, the passing of time is intended to be meaningful, but not torturous. Most timed events are based on a day-by-day system rather than making you rush around the city to get somewhere at a specific hour. On a wider level, you'll get both plenty of time to accomplish what you need to in each Act, and clear advice on exactly what that is and how long you have.

The intended feel is that rather than feeling like you're racing against the clock all the time, that every click is a move in a chess game against the world, with the limits there to make those decisions more meaningful. And, of course, to encourage replay. If you only play Nighthawks once, you'll find it an incredibly responsive, satisfying adventure. If you come back, you'll find just how much more there is to discover if you try different powers, make different friends, and pick different choices. This is a city of stories. Write yours.

lightbane

Arcane
Five vampire origins? Vampires being nerfed and the whole point of vampirism gone for *reasons*? Vampires having trouble meeting other vampires?

Sounds like someone took inspiration from Vampire: The Requiem.

Zombra

Patron
The goal in the entire first act is to make money?

Well that was fast, the last straw came much more quickly than I expected. I'm gone, not even going to pledge $1 for updates.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well that was fast, the last straw came much more quickly than I expected. I'm gone, not even going to pledge $1 for updates.
What's the problem with that?
Sounds like a reasonable target. And especially one that should be open in how you approach it.

Big Wrangle

Meh, it's not that much different from being an errand boy who also has to make money and connections. Most RPG players approach these games in a mercenary mindset int he first place.

I'd appreciate a proper Vlad Drakul sim over a V:TM type game these days.

Urban Fantasy isn't really as appealing when almost everything reads like urban fantasy these days. An honest to goodness gothic vampire RPG would be pretty cool.

And no that Vampyr game doesn't count.

How about some rural fantasy for a change?

A vampire is a being from folklore that subsists by feeding on the vital force (generally in the form of blood) of the living. In European folklore, vampires were undead beings that often visited loved ones and caused mischief or deaths in the neighbourhoods they inhabited when they were alive.

Leptirica (Serbian Cyrillic: Лептирица, translation "The She-Butterfly") is a 1973 Yugoslav horror TV movie based on the story After Ninety Years (1880) written by Serbian writer Milovan Glišić.

An old miller hears strange sounds coming from the woods. While he sleeps, a millstone suddenly stops working and a strange human-like creature with black hands and long teeth and nails bites his neck.

After the opening scene, the film turns to a romance between a poor young man Strahinja (Petar Božović) and a beautiful girl Radojka (Mirjana Nikolić). Radojka is the daughter of landowner Živan (Slobodan Perović), who refuses to allow her to marry Strahinja. Disappointed, Strahinja leaves his village and goes to Zarožje. He meets peasants discussing the cursed mill and accepts their offer to become the new miller. He spends the night in the mill and survives the attack of the creature, finding out its name - Sava Savanović. The villagers visit the oldest woman in a neighboring village and ask her if there is a grave of somemone called Sava Savanović somewhere nearby. After finding the place where his body is buried, they nail a stake through the coffin and a butterfly flies out.

The peasants help Strahinja take Radojka from her home and bring her to Zarožje. During the night, while the villagers are preparing the wedding, Strahinja sneaks into his future wife's room while she is asleep. As he undresses her, he discovers a bloody hole under her breasts and realizes it is from the stake they used to impale Sava's coffin. Radojka opens her eyes and transforms into a disgusting hairy creature which climbs onto Strahinja's neck while he is trying to run away. She leads him to Sava's grave where he manages to take the stake out of the coffin and impale her.

The film ends with Strahinja lying motionlessly on the ground and a butterfly in his hair moving its wings.

Petar Blagojević (Serbian form: Petar Blagojević/Петар Благојевић, German: Peter Plogojowitz; died 1725) was a Serbian peasant who was believed to have become a vampire after his death and to have killed nine of his fellow villagers. The case was one of the earliest, most sensational and most well documented cases of vampire hysteria. It was described in the report of Imperial Provisor Frombald, an official of the Austrian administration, who witnessed the staking of Blagojević.[1]

Scholars have noted the influence of Blagojević's case upon the development of the image of the modern vampire in Western popular culture.[1][2]

The case

Petar Blagojević lived in a village named Kisilova (possibly the modern-day town of Kisiljevo), in the part of Serbia that temporarily passed from Ottoman into Austrian hands after the Treaty of Passarowitz (1718) and was ceded back to the Ottomans with the Treaty of Belgrade (1739) (see Arnold Paole - Background for more details on the historical context). Blagojević died in 1725, and his death was followed by a spate of other sudden deaths (after very short maladies, reportedly of about 24 hours each). Within eight days, nine people perished. On their death-beds, the victims allegedly claimed to have been throttled by Blagojević at night. Furthermore, Blagojević's wife stated that he had visited her and asked her for his opanci (shoes); she then moved to another village for safety reasons. In other legends, it is said that Blagojević came back to his house demanding food from his son and, when the son refused, Blagojević brutally murdered him, probably via biting and drinking his blood. The villagers decided to disinter the body and examine it for signs of vampirism, such as growing hair, beard and nails, and the absence of decomposition.

The inhabitants of Kisilova demanded that Kameralprovisor Frombald, along with the local priest, should be present at the procedure as a representative of the administration. Frombald tried to convince them that permission from the Austrian authorities in Belgrade should be sought first. The locals declined because they feared that by the time the permission came, the whole community could be exterminated by the vampire, which they claimed had already happened "in Turkish times" (i.e. when the village was still in the Ottoman-controlled part of Serbia). They demanded that Frombald himself should immediately permit the procedure or else they would abandon the village to save their lives. Frombald was forced to consent.

Together with the Veliko Gradište priest, he viewed the already exhumed body and was astonished to find that the characteristics associated with vampires in local belief were indeed present. The body was undecomposed, the hair and beard were grown, there were "new skin and nails" (while the old ones had peeled away), and blood could be seen in the mouth.[1] After that, the people, who "grew more outraged than distressed", proceeded to stake the body through the heart, which caused a great amount of "completely fresh" blood to flow through the ears and mouth of the corpse. Finally, the body was burned. Frombald concludes his report on the case with the request that, in case these actions were found to be wrong, he should not be blamed for them, as the villagers were "beside themselves with fear". The authorities apparently did not consider it necessary to take any measures regarding the incident.

The report on this event was among the first documented testimonies about vampire beliefs in Eastern Europe. It was published by Wienerisches Diarium, a Viennese newspaper, today known as Die Wiener Zeitung. Along with the report of the very similar Arnold Paole case of 1726-1732, it was widely translated West and North, contributing to the vampire craze of the eighteenth century in Germany, France and England. The strange phenomena or appearances that the Austrian officials witnessed are now known to accompany the natural process of the decomposition of the body.[3]

Commentary

In De masticatione mortuorum in tumulis (1725), Michaël Ranft attempted to explain folk beliefs in vampires.[4] He writes that, in the event of the death of every villager, some other person or people—most likely a person related to the first dead—who saw or touched the corpse, would eventually die either of some disease related to exposure to the corpse or of a frenetic delirium caused by the panic of merely seeing the corpse. These dying people would say that the dead man had appeared to them and tortured them in many ways. The other people in the village would exhume the corpse to see what it had been doing. He gives the following explanation when talking about the case of Petar Blagojević:[citation needed]

This brave man perished by a sudden or violent death. This death, whatever it is, can provoke in the survivors the visions they had after his death. Sudden death gives rise to inquietude in the familiar circle. Inquietude has sorrow as a companion. Sorrow brings melancholy. Melancholy engenders restless nights and tormenting dreams. These dreams enfeeble body and spirit until illness overcomes and, eventually, death.

Arnold Paole (Arnont Paule in the original documents; an early German rendition of a Serbian name or nickname, perhaps Арнаут Павле, Arnaut Pavle; died c. 1726) was a Serbian hajduk who was believed to have become a vampire after his death, initiating an epidemic of supposed vampirism that killed at least 16 people in his native village of Meduegna (also rendered as Metwett; likely a German rendition of Serbian "Medveđa)", located at the West Morava river in Trstenik, Serbia.[1][2][3][4]

Paole's case, similar to that of Petar Blagojevich, became famous because of the direct involvement of the Austrian authorities and the documentation by Austrian physicians and officers, who confirmed the reality of vampires. Their report of the case was distributed in Western Europe and contributed to the spread of vampire belief among educated Europeans. The report and its significance for the subsequent eighteenth century vampire controversy are nowadays explained with the poor understanding of the process of corpse decomposition at the time.[5]

Knowledge of the case is based mostly on the reports of two Austrian military doctors, Glaser and Flückinger, who were successively sent to investigate the case.[6][7][8] Scholars have suggested that Paole's case has influenced the depiction of vampires in popular culture texts.[5][9]

Background

With the Treaty of Passarowitz (Požarevac, 1718), the Habsburg Monarchy annexed most of Serbia and the northern part of Bosnia, territories which had been part of the Ottoman Empire. These remained in Austrian control until the Treaty of Belgrade (1739), when the Austrians were forced to cede them back to the Turks. During this 20-year period, these newly conquered boundary districts were subject to direct military rule from Vienna for strategic, fiscal and other reasons. As a result of the devastation brought about by previous Austrian-Ottoman wars, these areas were in poor condition, with a scarce and partly nomadic population, little agriculture and an emphasis on cattle-breeding. The Austrian authorities sought to further economic development and to attract German-speaking Serbian settlers to the new territories. Many of the Serbs, especially those who had immigrated from Ottoman-held areas, were recruited as militiamen (hajduks) for the peacetime protection of the borders and for regular military service at war, in exchange for unalienable lots of land. It was in these communities that the earliest well-documented alleged vampire attacks were attested.

The first outbreak

This outbreak is only known from Flückinger's report about the second epidemic and its prehistory. According to the account of the Medveđa locals as retold there, Arnold Paole was a hajduk who had moved to the village from the Turkish-controlled part of Serbia. He reportedly often mentioned that he had been plagued by a vampire at a location named Gossowa (perhaps Kosovo), but that he had cured himself by eating soil from the vampire's grave and smearing himself with his blood. About 1725, he broke his neck in a fall from a haywagon. Within 20 or 30 days after Paole's death, four people complained that they had been plagued by him. These people all died shortly thereafter. It was then remembered that Arnold had often related in the environs of Cassanovia, and on the Turkish Servia, he had often been tormented by a Turkish vampire. He also relayed that he attempted to cure himself by eating earth of the grave of the vampire, and smearing himself with his blood.[A 1] Ten days later, and forty days after Arnold's death, the villagers, advised by their hadnack (a military/administrative title) who had witnessed such events before, opened his grave. They saw that the corpse was undecomposed with all the indications of an arch-vampire. His veins were replete with fluid-blood "and that fresh blood had flowed from his eyes, nose, mouth, and ears; that the shirt, the covering, and the coffin were completely bloody; that the old nails on his hands and feet, along with the skin, had fallen off, and that new ones had grown". Further, "his body was red, his hair, nails and beard had all grown again. Concluding that Paole was indeed a vampire, they drove a stake through his heart, to which he reacted by frightful shriek as if he were alive, groaning and bleeding, and burned the body. That done, they cut off his head and burnt the whole body. They then disinterred Paole's four supposed victims and performed the same procedure, to prevent them from becoming vampires as well.[5][A 2]

The second outbreak

About five years later, in the winter of 1731, a new epidemic occurred, with more than ten people dying within several weeks, some of them in just two or three days without any previous illness and others after 3 days of languishing. The numbers and the age of the deceased vary somewhat between the two main sources.

Glaser's report on the case states that by 12 December, 13 people had died in the course of six weeks. Glaser names the following victims (here rearranged chronologically): Miliza (Serbian Milica, a 50-year-old woman); Milloi (Serbian Miloje, a 14-year-old boy); Joachim (a 15-year-old boy); Peter (Serbian Petar, a 15-day-old boy); Stanno (Serbian Stana, a 20-year-old woman) as well as her newborn child, which Glaser notes was buried "behind a fence, where the mother had lived" due to not having lived long enough to be baptized; Wutschiza (Serbian Vučica, a nine-year-old boy), Milosova (Serbian Milosava, a 30-year-old wife of a hajduk), Radi (Serbian Rade, a 24-year-old man), and Ruschiza (Serbian Ružica, a 40-year-old woman). The sick had complained of stabs in the sides and pain in the chest, prolonged fever and jerks of the limbs. Glaser reports that the locals considered Milica and Stana to have started the vampirism epidemic. According to his retelling, Milica had come to the village from Ottoman-controlled territories six years before. The locals' testimony indicated that she had always been a good neighbour and that, to the best of their knowledge, she had never "believed or practiced something diabolic". However, she had once mentioned to them that, while still in Ottoman lands, she had eaten two sheep that had been killed by vampires. Stana, on the other hand, had admitted that when she was in Ottoman-controlled lands, she had smeared herself with vampire blood as a protection against vampires (as these had been very active there). According to local belief, both things would cause the women to become vampires after death.

According to Flückinger's report, by the 7th of January, 17 people had died within a period of three months (the last two of these apparently after Glaser's visit). He mentions Miliza (Milica, a 69-year-old woman, died after a three-month illness); an unnamed 8 year-old child; Milloe (Miloje, a 16-year-old boy, died after a three-day illness); Stana (a 20-year-old woman, died in childbirth after a three-day illness, reportedly said that she had smeared herself with vampire blood) as well as her stillborn child (as Flückinger observes, "half-eaten by the dogs due to a slovenly burial"); an unnamed 10-year-old girl; Joachim (a 17-year-old, died after a three-day illness); the hadnack 's unnamed wife; Ruscha (Ruža – variant of Ružica – a woman, died after a ten-day illness); Staniko (Stanjko, a 60-year-old man); Miloe (Miloje, the second victim of that name; a 25-year-old man); Ruža's child (18 days old); Rhade (Rade, a 21-year-old servant of the local hajduk corporal, died after a three-month-long illness); the local standard-bearer's (bajraktar 's) unnamed wife, apparently identical to Milošova in the other report along with her child; the eight-week-old child of the hadnack; Stanoicka (Stanojka, a 20-year-old woman, the wife of a hajduk, died after a three-day illness). According to her father-in-law Joviza (Jovica), Stanojka had gone to bed healthy 15 days previous, but had woken up at midnight in terrible fear and cried that she had been throttled by the late Miloje. Flückinger states that the locals explain the new epidemic with the fact that Milica, the first to die, had eaten the meat of sheep that the "previous vampires" (i.e. Paole and his victims from five years prior) had killed. He also mentions, in passing, the claims that Stana, before her death, had admitted having smeared herself with blood to protect herself from vampires and would therefore become a vampire herself, as would her child.

According to Augustin Calmet's analysis of the case, "a girl named Stanoska, daughter of the Heyducq Jotiutzo, who went to bed in perfect health, awoke in the middle of the night in a tremble, uttering terrible shrieks, and saying that the son of Heyducq Millo who had been dead nine weeks, had nearly strangled her in her sleep. She fell into a languid state from that moment, and at the end of three days she died. What this girl had said of Millo's son made him known at once to be a vampire: he was exhumed and found to be such. The principle people of the place, with the doctors and surgeons, examined how vampirism could have sprung up again after the precautions they had taken years before."[A 3]

The investigation

The villagers complained of the new deaths to oberstleutnant Schnezzer, the Austrian military commander in charge of the administration. The latter, fearing an epidemic of pestilence, sent for Imperial Contagions-Medicus (roughly, Infectious Disease Specialist) Glaser stationed in the nearby town of Paraćin. On 12 December 1731, Glaser examined the villagers and their houses. He failed to find any signs of a contagious malady and blamed the deaths on the malnutrition common in the region as well as the unhealthy effects of the severe Eastern Orthodox fasting. However, the villagers insisted that the illnesses were caused by vampires. At the moment, two or three households were gathering together at night, with some asleep and others on the watch. They were convinced that the deaths wouldn't stop unless the vampires were executed by the authorities, and threatened to abandon the village in order to save their lives if that wasn't done. Failing Glaser consented to the exhumation of some of the deceased. To his surprise, he found that most of them were not decomposed and many were swollen and had blood in their mouths, while several others who had died more recently (namely Vučica, Milošova, and Rade) were rather decomposed. Glaser outlined his findings in a report to the Jagodina commandant's office, recommending that the authorities should pacify the population by fulfilling its request to "execute" the vampires. Schnezzer furthered Glaser's report to the Supreme Command in Belgrade (the city was then held by Austrian forces). The vice-commandant, Botta d'Adorno, sent a second commission to investigate the case.

The new commission included a military surgeon, Johann Flückinger, two officers, lieutenant colonel Büttner and J. H. von Lindenfels, along with two other military surgeons, Siegele and Johann Friedrich Baumgarten. On the 7th of January, together with the village elders and some local Gypsies, they opened the graves of the deceased. Their findings were similar to Glaser's, although their report contains much more anatomical detail. The commission established that, while five of the corpses (the hadnack 's wife and child, Rade, and the standard-bearer's wife and child) were decomposed, the remaining twelve were "quite complete and undecayed" and exhibited the traits that were commonly associated with vampirism. Their chests and in some cases other organs were filled with fresh (rather than coagulated) blood; the viscera were estimated to be "in good condition"; various corpses looked plump and their skin had a "red and vivid" (rather than pale) colour; and in several cases, "the skin on ... hands and feet, along with the old nails, fell away on their own, but on the other hand completely new nails were evident, along with a fresh and vivid skin". In the case of Milica, the hajduks who witnessed the dissection were very surprised at her plumpness, stating that they had known her well, from her youth, and that she had always been very "lean and dried-up"; it was only in the grave she had attained this plumpness. The surgeons summarized all these phenomena by stating that the bodies were in "vampiric condition" (Vampyrenstand). After the examination had been completed, the Gypsies cut off the heads of the supposed vampires and burned both their heads and their bodies, the ashes being thrown in the Morava river. The decomposed bodies were laid back into their graves. The report is dated 26 January 1732, Belgrade, and bears the signatures of the five officers involved.

On the 13th of February, Glaser's father, Viennese doctor Johann Friedrich Glaser, who was also a correspondent of the Nuremberg journal Commercium Litterarium, sent its editors a letter describing the entire case as his son had written to him about it already on the 18th of January. The story aroused great interest. After that, both reports (especially Flückinger's more detailed version) and the letter were reprinted in a number of articles and treatises.

Calmet notes: "They discovered at last, after much search, that the defunct Arnold Paul had killed not only the four persons of whom we have spoken, but also several oxen, of which the new vampires had eaten, and amongst others the son of Millo. Upon these indications they resolved to disinter all those who had died within a certain time, etc. Amongst forty, seventeen were found with all the most evident signs of vampirism; so they transfixed their hearts and cut off their heads also, then cast their ashes into the river. All the information and executions we have just mentioned were made judicial, in proper form, and attested by several officers who were garrisoned in the country, by the chief surgeons of the regiments, and by the principal inhabitants of the place. The verbal process of it was sent towards the end of last January to the Imperial Counsel of War at Vienna, which had established a military commission to examine into the truth of all these circumstances. Such was the declaration of the Hadnagi Barriarar and the ancient Heyducqs; and it was signed by Battuer, first lieutenant of the regiment of Alexander of Wurtemburg, Clickstenger, surgeon-in-chief of the regiment of Frustemburch, three other surgeons of the company and Guoichitz, captain at Stallach."[A 4]

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sunless Sea writer? Meh, the stories in that game were barely comprehensible, style over substance. Can be fun, but not when your style is a pretentious shit and substance is non-existent.

Zombra

Patron
What's the problem with that?
It's the most pedestrian possible motivation. More than ever, it's clear that this is a game about some jerk who happens to have pointy teeth. Once again Cobbett is writing a story where nothing happens and nobody cares.

Sounds like a reasonable target.
I don't play a vampire game because I want to go around doing reasonable things.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds like a reasonable target.
I don't play a vampire game because I want to go around doing reasonable things.
What I always found interesting about the whole vampire setting was how close it is to real life.
You gotta earn money, have an identity, the appearance of a normal life - all while also being that bloodsucker.
It is more of a real world setting with a twist than some high fantasy stuff.

I don't really see what else you could have as a protagonist for a vampire game than a person who has to maintain the appearance of a normal life.
Not in this setting, anyway.
And I rather have to earn money than "find your father/sister/brother/whatever/person you never met" :lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom