Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Nighthawks - urban fantasy vampire CYOA RPG written by Richard Cobbett and published by Wadjet Eye

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's see what this has been up to: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/posts/2286740

Nighthawks Exposed #6 - Nighthawks
Posted by Richard Cobbett

While you start Nighthawks as a penniless vampire, it's not long before circumstances conspire to put you in charge of your own nightclub, also called Nighthawks. It's a poisoned chalice though, as not only is it currently run-down and failing, the added attention it draws to you isn't always welcome. The only reason you can get away with it is proving your usefulness to the local vampire community, while still fending off threats to your position and trying to ensure you still have a sanctuary to come back to each night.

Nighthawks is your base of operations, with several useful elements. The VIP room sometimes contains unwary souls (backers!) who have stumbled in when it's quiet enough to get away with a bit of a snack behind the scenes. Your main bartender, Becca, is a fountain of local rumours that you can investigate. And of course, you have your sanctuary in the basement where you can hide from the dreaded sun.

But what's your part of it? Luckily, you don't have to manage things on a day to day basis. There's a manager who handles most things, who is also your thrall (not a very politically correct term, but nobody's come up with a better one as of yet...). You give him a bit of your blood to stay healthy, he happily works for you. However, he's not the most dynamic of people, so generally looks to you to decide on policy and sweeping changes.

When you take over, you get to completely renovate the place in a few different styles, such as modern and gothic. You also get to make decisions like whether another local vampire is allowed to deal drugs in the toilets, and what uniforms the staff should wear. As seen in the trailer, the current owner is somewhat sleazy and favours making the staff wear 'strategically ill-fitting' uniforms. As boss, you can continue that, take it a bit further, or be the helpful boss who sees Becca half falling out of her bartender outfit and declares "Get that woman a shirt that fits, damn it." It's your nightclub. You get to call the shots.

Success however breeds problems, and the more you build Nighthawks up into a prize worth having, the more others will start to covet it. In particular, you have a rival who believes that you don't deserve to be in charge, and they've got some hefty support from one of the major vampires in the city. If you can't prove that you're the one to run the place, you won't be running it for very long... and that's far from your only big problem.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/posts/2288155

Nighthawks Exposed #7 - Trust and Romance

So, onto the second-most commonly asked question about Nighthawks, not including variants of "Can I bang Madame Lux?" (Answer: Wait and see). Specifically, if there'll be other romances and sexytimes, and how that will work with a protagonist of no stated sex/gender/identity in general. Time to address that one.

In Short...
Yes, and hopefully in an interesting way!

The Longer Version...
Yes, there will be romances, and there will absolutely be twisted sexytimes. However, it's not quite the set-up of a lot of RPGs, where you just partner off your PC with whoever takes your fancy. Nighthawks is a game about broken people, fiercely individualistic, who aren't used to letting anyone get emotionally close to them. As such, for 'romances', primarily think 'gaining trust'. It's more about breaking down the barriers. Being the person someone can rely on, and share secrets with. Someone who a person who refuses to ask for help can turn to in their time of greatest need, even when it might be shameful or show weakness.

In some cases, that leads to sexytime fun. In others, that's simply not what the character is looking for, and your relationship will head down a different path. Everyone in Nighthawks has their own story, and none of them consider themselves a mere bit-player in yours.

Companions and NPCs
When it comes to specific sexualities, things are somewhat divided. Characters who might be interested in your character will be basically player-sexual and you can decide for yourself where they fit on whatever spectrum you like, be it completely open to any experience, or purely interested in your character, based on your approaches. This is the only real way to still allow the breadth of role-play that we want to offer.

Having said that, your decisions, your character build and so on will play a big part in which Companions might be up for a little 'extra companionship'. Non-Companion NPCs will also be more defined in these regards. We don't want to simply brush over the issues here, or the interesting stories that can come from them. Hopefully in any case, focusing on trust and getting close to characters will encourage you to get invested in their stories in general, rather than just seeing who you can get into bed before the credits roll.

But if not, don't worry. We're going to have some fun with that too!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/posts/2294581

Nighthawks Exposed #8 - City Of Colours

975e37ac25ca2135f296c71f019ea286_original.jpg

Some of Ben's art tests from the early days of the project.

So, we've talked a lot about the game design and writing, but Nighthawks wouldn't exist in any form without the art of pixel-wizard Ben (as lovingly touched up by Ivan - the art, not Ben, at least as far as I know). I'm not going to dig too deeply into the art side, because that's not my field. I can barely draw stick figures. Still, I thought I'd talk a bit about how we came up with the look of the game and what we're aiming for in the full game.

The most important thing is that from the start, we agreed that we didn't want Nighthawks to just be a game of reds, blacks and greys. That looks good in a single shot, but over the course of a whole game you really do start to long for something a bit different. You can still be atmospheric and spooky with light and colour. While we've never agreed on a catchy name for this, I like to think of it as 'electro-goth'. The blue neon outside Nighthawks, the green hue of the streets, and in other areas not in the demo, taking a more comic-book sensibility to location design so that each area has its own palette, its own theme, and cool background details like the Chained Tree of Fountaincourt or [SPOILER REDACTED].

Urban Fantastic
Not all of Nighthawks will be set in the city, due to flashbacks, but even the bits within it need to be interesting. Even though it's a modern city and thus a more familiar location than somewhere like Thedas or Temeria or Taris, or indeed an RPG location not beginning with the letter 'T', it can still be a place that feels interesting to explore and which has its own culture and its own beat. Our four main districts are designed with that in mind. This should be a place that you probably wouldn't want to visit in real life, without vampire powers anyway, but would certainly find fascinating... before being shivved in the back.

The original art is further helped by the fact that our backgrounds aren't purely static, but short 4K movie loops. The idea is to capture a moment in time, but also make it breathe, with rain and lighting effects and smoke and similar. Unfortunately, compression on the Kickstarter video doesn't make this look its best, but trust me, it looks super-crisp and lovely when you see it live. Just a little animated detail really brings the life of the backgrounds out, and we're intending to make the ones for the full game much, much cooler.

Luckily, this is one of those projects where art and design is absolutely on the same page, and I for one can't wait to see what Ben and Ivan do with the rest of the stuff in the design. So far, it's been entirely a case of sending over the descriptions and getting back almost exactly what I had in mind, only way better looking. You know you've got the right artists on board when your longest and fiddliest artistic decision is about your bartender's bra. Not kidding about that. Suffice to say, if you see a character proudly sporting an incredibly frilly one in the final game, you'll know that's almost certainly Ben making A Point.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CSH Picone interviewed Richard: http://www.cshpicone.com/interview-richard-cobbett

Richard Cobbett
AN INTERVIEW

Recently, Richard Cobbett – long-time gaming journalist and game writer for the Sunless series – teamed up with Wadjet Eye Games (developer of the recently released point-and-click Unavowed) to create a new text-driven vampire RPG called Nighthawks, which is on Kickstarter right now! The game looks pretty damn promising, so I hit Richard up for a chat about his inspiration, as well as some or the decision making behind the game’s design, including combat, vampire powers, character development, social interactions, and the dreaded “save-load dilemma”.

CSH: Before we get down to the nitty-gritty, tell us a little about yourself?

Richard: Well, I’d say probably most folks know me from my games journalism days – well, years (18 or so, to be more accurate), when I wrote for places like PC Gamer, Rock Paper Shotgun, Edge, IGN, Eurogamer… a whole ton of them, living and sadly dead. A few years ago I somewhat-accidentally slipped into games writing with a guest gig on Sunless Sea and then pretty much just refused to leave. Since then I’ve mostly written things with a heavy story focus, like The Long Journey Home, Silent Streets, Not Tonight, and of course, Sunless Skies.

CSH: That’s an impressive journalistic portfolio, from a gamer’s perspective. Are you ever not writing? What do you do for fun?

Richard: Heh, honestly, I’m pretty quiet. I always enjoy making things, playing games, reading books on weird and wonderful subjects, and alternately making a fuss of and annoying my cats. I also pun, relentlessly, shamelessly, and without any chance of stopping. In terms of inspiration, it tends to come from folklore, mythology, and more practically, from having a long history of seeing a whole hell of a lot of games that may not have been great, but had great ideas. A lot of my starting points are things like “Okay, that almost worked, but…”, trying to combine journalistic deconstruction with creativity. And puns. Obviously. Many puns.

CSH: While looking for the Nighthawks website one evening, I stumbled across an apparently famous Edward Hopper painting with the same name. The artwork was strikingly nocturnal and a thought occurred to me – is this where the title came from?

Richard: Yeah, the name is definitely inspired by the painting, which has been my iPad wallpaper for years. It’s such a wonderful image that hints at so much. However, as often with these things, it actually just started as a codename. The first build of Nighthawks was ‘Project Nighthawks’, because everything sounds cooler as a project, and I needed something. But I never found anything I liked better, so Nighthawks it remained.

CSH: So far, you’ve been trickle-feeding us lore through your Kickstarter updates. What else can you tell us about the game? Who are the main characters?

Richard: Nighthawks is set in a modern city where vampires have been exposed to the world, and both they and human society are trying to figure out what happens next. You play a regular, broke vampire who starts out in a shitty hotel on the wrong side of the tracks, and Nighthawks is about your slow rise to glory through the ranks over the course of about three years of game time, and the part you play in those big decisions. You’re not any defined character beyond that. Actually, aside from name, you don’t make ‘you’ at all, but rather your Sire, choosing the traits that came through the blood. This is to make it as easy as possible to role-play whoever or whatever you want (within the limits of the fiction), even if you’re someone who games don’t typically offer a chance to be. This is a crucial part of the Sunless games, and one I’m proud to be continuing. Everyone deserves to be a badass vampire!

And of course, there’s plenty of others out there too, including Madame Lux, the vampire stage magician, Maze, a con-artist turned cult-leader, former pirate queen Inez… I like to design NPCs who could carry a whole game on their own, and Nighthawks is very much a game about stories rather than expansive lore. Whether you treat it as a power fantasy or a tale of personal horror is up to you… though most players will likely land in the middle.

CSH: Beside the Hopper painting, what were some of the other key inspirations behind Nighthawks? On your Kickstarter page you mentioned World of Darkness, and the “masquerade” in particular seems obvious, but I think I’ve also detected a hint of True Blood, and some more obscure sources, maybe Forever Knight or Legacy of Kain? In what way do have these sources of inspiration helped shape the game?

Richard: Vampire: The Masquerade is obviously a huge one, and in particular 2004’s Bloodlines. Our world is very different - we don’t want to tread on White Wolf’s toes! - but it’s definitely true that without Bloodlines there would likely be no Nighthawks. Along with Anne Rice, it’s also arguably the series that defined the image of the ‘modern’ vampire in peoples’ eyes, both in itself and in the franchises that likely took inspiration from it, such as the Underworld series. Other big ones for me including Being Human and Ultraviolet (the British TV show, not the terrible movie), which chimed with my personal interest in the social side of vampire life and what a horrible experience it probably would be.

In terms of games, the Sunless series is obviously huge, along with just about everything from Bloodnet to Legacy of Kain to Vampyr. I cherry pick a lot. For instance, Quest for Glory IV has one of my favourite game vampires in the form of Katrina, the antagonist whose evil plan is rooted more in loneliness than anything else. A lot of the time it’s a case of looking at what I don’t like rather than what I do, and figuring out ways to improve it, especially when it comes to life simulation, but I think there’s endless inspiration to be had from the games of the past that weren’t necessarily huge AAA releases even at launch. Most recently, I’ve been replaying the Yakuza games courtesy of 0 and Kiwami, and remembering how much I love their ‘side-stories’. They’re definitely on my list.

CSH: On your Kickstarter page you also mentioned a few surprising sources of inspiration, including Fallout and Baldur’s Gate – where do they fit in?

Richard: Fallout and its ilk are primarily an inspiration for their freedom and focus on choices, with mechanics that allow you to do interesting things rather than just follow a path. Baldur’s Gate 2 offers the basic structure (though it’s more complex!) of building acts of the story around general Objectives rather than a dedicated path - the challenge being something like paying your hotel room bill or impressing an elder vampire, with the stories you encounter being means to do that which also bleed back together through choices.

CSH: How did the collaboration between yourself and Wadjet Eye come about?

Richard: I suggested it, pretty much. I’ve known Dave for years, and we’ve been looking to work on something together for most of it. He’s one of the writers in the industry whose work I respect the most, so he was a perfect person to act as exec producer and sanity checker.
CSH: We all need a sanity checker. I can’t help but notice that many of the screenshots are reminiscent of the point and click genre - has the gameplay or concept changed any as a result of the collaboration?

Richard: Not really. Dave was very much into the concept as designed. The art style and interface are designed around allowing us the most freedom and responsiveness possible, and you just can’t beat text for that, while still looking lovely with 4K animated backgrounds and other fun additions like our huge character portraits.

CSH: Budget normally drives a lot of the developmental decision-making, but with 4K animation at your disposal, why have you opted for text-driven gameplay?

Richard: Text is very underrated. It allows for more freedom than any graphical system, which is particularly irksome when playing a modern RPG that more or less boils down to just walking to an arrow and beating up anyone standing next to it. It also allows for wonderful responsiveness to player decisions and builds. In our game for instance a regular player might go to the opera and just get “You hear opera in the background.” A player with a more Cultured background would get “You hear an acceptable performance of Bizet’s Carmen.” That’s a tiny, tiny example, of course, but a good demonstration of how the experience can mould itself around you rather than forcing you into a set role. It also makes it endlessly easier to do fun things like NPC scheduling, life simulation, and social interactions than a graphical system would be able to. It doesn’t hurt that much of my past work is text based, of course, so I can prove that I have some form there!

CSH: Okay, down to business. I’ll start with what must seem like a random question, but it’s an issue with CRPGs that’s long been a bugbear for me. Inventory management is typically an afterthought in RPGs and the main issue appears to be trying to juggle realism with convenience. Is there a way to make inventory management a useful feature that actually serves to enhance the game instead of being just an interface option? And what inventory management system will we be seeing in Nighthawks?

Richard: Honestly, this is a huge issue, and tough to answer succinctly! Nighthawks isn’t really an inventory driven game though. You’ll have things like weapons and armour, cash and so on, but it’s primarily a favour-driven economy, with objects there to be picked up, used and disposed of rather than taking up space. Where possible, I’m trying to stick with what a regular person could reasonably carry with them and conceal in a coat, and you’ll usually be solving problems in more direct ways than messing around with pencils and newspapers to poke a key out of a door and so on. (You’ll never be doing that one of course, because I hate that puzzle and anyone who implements it should be fired into the goddamn sun.)

CSH: Death by solar oblivion seems like an extreme reaction to poor puzzle design, but if that’s the world we live in, that’s the world we live in. How do you plan on evading the same fate? What makes a good puzzle, and will we be seeing any in Nighthawks?

Richard: A good puzzle for me feels like part of the environment, and tells you something about it rather than just being an obstacle in your way. Nighthawks is really more about ‘problems’ than puzzles though - dealing with situations, and the consequences of those actions, using both regular choices, the friends at your disposal, and your cool vampire powers.

CSH: As a text-driven “life simulator”, I expect that Nighthawks will be more of an adventure or story-driven RPG than a “traditional” (read: combat-based) RPG, but “skill in fighting” was mentioned explicitly in your updates. How will combat work in Nighthawks?

Richard: Short answer, I don’t know yet! I have three different combat systems designed on paper, and one of my big jobs post-Kickstarter will be implementing them. One is a little bit inspired by card driven things like Slay the Spire, another one is more of a Numenera type approach, another is more traditional dice and mechanics focused. And I may come up with another, better, idea when I start playing around properly later this year.

CSH: In that case, Nighthawks must be chock-full of non-combat interactions and encounters. How do you plan on making them all varied, interesting, and meaningful? Without combat to break up the story, how are you controlling pace and tension?

Richard: Largely by making it part of the systems. If you don’t raise suspicion and stay out of dangerous situations, you’re likely to be able to avoid a lot of trouble. We don’t assume that you’re JC Denton with fangs. On the other hand, make waves, and the world will push back. The nature of the story and the factions within it then just have to push you into interesting situations and let your choices control the flow, within an escalating series of events that perhaps make you shelve early moral qualms in the name of personal gain.

And away from combat, social interactions can be just as varied and interesting! A dinner party of ambitious vampires can be just as dangerous as a knife-fight in the alley. More so, because the average mugger probably just wants your wallet, not your humiliation and death so that they can move in and legitimately claim your turf.

Honestly, I’m not even super interested in combat. In most RPGs, I like the ability to throw down where necessary, but I’d probably press a button to skip most trash mobs. If I can beat up three kobolds in this part of the cave, let’s just assume I can probably handle the other three a bit further in. Nighthawks depicts a wonderfully dangerous lifestyle, so absolutely combat is important. But it’s not going to be the kind of RPG where you’re constantly thrown into fights, unless you’ve done something to make people hate you.

CSH: Another bugbear for me is supernatural beings and magic in CRPGs, which very rarely seem to be integrated into the setting effectively. In a recent update, you mentioned that you won’t be including werewolves or many of the other tropes that tend to get bundled along with them these days, in order to avoid dilution. What are your thoughts on magic in CRPGs, and will magic make the cut in Nighthawks?

Richard: I love magic. I always play as a mage! However, I tend to find it pretty boring in games. Magic should be exciting, dangerous, dynamic - the cheat codes of reality. Instead, it’s typically predictable, ordered, and mundane. The original Dragon Age for instance planned to make it more like my favoured style, with most people never having even seen magic, but ended up backtracking because they needed mages as enemies and so on.

In Nighthawks though, I’m keeping magic fairly restricted. Some vampires have abilities - you’re one of them - but most don’t, and they’re typically variants of mental powers rather than fireballs and lightning and so on. My aim is that they feel like your ace in the hole - powerful but expensive weapons at your disposal, but ones that you think carefully before using. Is now the time? Should you save that ability for a later encounter? Do you risk being caught using one? That’s the closest we have to a masquerade here - hiding the fact that you might have the power to do things like hypnotise, or talk to the dead, or turn into mist.

This also ties into the setting. Much of the appeal of urban fantasy is the interplay between reality and fantasy. You should feel like this is something that, just maybe, could happen, as opposed to something more fanciful like a portal to Hell opening up or whatever. The more you add, be it showy magic effects or multiple supernaturals, the further you move away from that grounded sense of place.

True Blood is a great demonstration of that, where vampires went from being a big exciting presence in the world to everyone pretty much just shrugging and going “Werepanthers now? Okay, fine, whatever. At least it’s not that fire elemental that dropped in last week. That guy was such a dick. Didn’t even tip.”

CSH: Yeah, I think that was about the point I stopped watching that series. A pity, the first few seasons were fantastic. Anyway - In many (most?) modern RPGs these days, character development seems to be almost irrelevant – if player characters even have weaknesses, they can usually rely on their party mates or some other intervention that negates their limitations and allows that character the ability to interact with every aspect of a given game. I suppose there are advantages in that you normally only need one playthrough to experience everything a game has to offer but I feel like the core roleplaying experience is diminished in the process. What are your thoughts on this, and what will we see in Nighthawks?

Richard: Pretty similar, really. I’m taking the basic stance that you should be able to do almost anything, which isn’t the same as being able to do everything. Your build won’t define you, but it will likely mirror your approach to the game, in a similar way to how a smart rogue player is going to prioritise upgrades to being sneaky and backstabbing rather than randomly deciding to start wielding a greataxe. Characters won’t like you because of your blood origin as well as your decisions, your skills will be improvable, but you’ll probably want to be smart about where you spend your time and upgrades.

The danger of being too restrictive is that if you end up locking off choices and the all-important first play of the game feels too limited. My intention is that it’ll feel open and freeform, but then you’ll go back with a different build and realise just how much more there is to explore and choose and experience when you try a different approach.

CSH: How will Nighthawks deal with “inconsequential death” and the “save-load dilemma”? It’s an issue in most CRPGs, but I expect it would be even more pertinent in a vampire game.

Richard: Good question. My current thinking, though it’s not carved in stone, is that the game will auto-save at the start of each game day (and on quitting), so that there’s more incentive to play through the failures rather than save-scum to a perfect adventure. Death should be a threat, but it won’t be happening all the time. For instance, if you’re fighting some guy in the street, he’s probably more interested in taking your wallet than killing you. You can build up a certain amount of damage before you’re at serious risk, and it’s largely on you if you head out when you know that one punch too many will likely take you out, versus spending the time to go get some hospital treatment or avoid the whole fight.

Failing that, I’d like to finally do an Iron Man mode where you actually get a robot suit.

Richard, thanks very much for your time and insight. You’ve been an absolute dream to work with. I wish you all the best with your Kickstarter campaign, and I’m looking forward to being fang-deep in your masterpiece.

You can find links to the Kickstarter below, as well as the game’s website, and Richard’s freelance writing website below:

The Nighthawks Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0

Richard’s website: http://www.richardcobbett.com/

Nighthawks website: http://www.nighthawks-game.com

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
This game is going to be a disaster.

If it gets funded. Their final 12 days need to raise more money than their first 12 days, and that's looking doubtful. See the comments:

Random suggestion..could ask for social media shout-outs on Spiral Direct, Alchemy England and Vampire World Project. Even VTMB forums are worth a shot!

Tried, but most places at best just reply with a 'Good luck!'. But if anyone who's part of a community wants to try it, that's always best. Folks are a little tired of Kickstarter pitches these days :-(

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
A chance to experience the gameplay firsthand:

Play The Nighthawks Demo!
Okay. I wasn't originally planning to do this, but enough people have asked if they could play the actual demo build from the trailer that I figured... okay, sure, why not?

But with a few caveats! First, this was written with the specific goal of showing a vertical slice of the game, so it's much - almost infinitely - more restricted than the real thing will be. Second, it's not particularly optimised, and you may encounter some bugs. It should run fine, but please stick to 16:9 if given an option, and unfortunately this one is Windows only due to some video playback issues on Mac OS. Additionally, when you get to the end of the demo, it'll automatically quit. If you need out before then, press ALT-F4.

Download the demo from Dropbox!

(Feel free to stream, share, screenshot, or any of that stuff.)

My plan is that after Kickstarter, the rest of this year will be spent on programming and design, with the goal being to release a fully engineered, more comprehensive tech-test demo that will be explicitly for bug-hunting and similar, versus essentially 'built to run on Richard's PC'. I also have a long list of features I plan to implement, including support for controllers, colour-blindness tweaks, static backgrounds just in case your machine chokes on the video, and aspect ratios. Think of this one as a sneak peek, with the usual back-covering that we have no liability for anything going wrong if you download and run it. I'm not sure what could happen, but nevertheless, on thine own head be it if it does.

All of that said, hope you enjoy! The path is restricted, but there's a fair bit more dialogue that you won't have seen in the trailer video. And hopefully it'll give you the tiniest, tiniest taste of the atmosphere we're looking to bring you with the real game.

Remember, if you want to play the full game, pledge and share! We're entering the final week, and every dollar counts if we're going to bring you this cool RPG.

Yosharian

Arcane
A chance to experience the gameplay firsthand:

Play The Nighthawks Demo!
Okay. I wasn't originally planning to do this, but enough people have asked if they could play the actual demo build from the trailer that I figured... okay, sure, why not?

But with a few caveats! First, this was written with the specific goal of showing a vertical slice of the game, so it's much - almost infinitely - more restricted than the real thing will be. Second, it's not particularly optimised, and you may encounter some bugs. It should run fine, but please stick to 16:9 if given an option, and unfortunately this one is Windows only due to some video playback issues on Mac OS. Additionally, when you get to the end of the demo, it'll automatically quit. If you need out before then, press ALT-F4.

Download the demo from Dropbox!

(Feel free to stream, share, screenshot, or any of that stuff.)

My plan is that after Kickstarter, the rest of this year will be spent on programming and design, with the goal being to release a fully engineered, more comprehensive tech-test demo that will be explicitly for bug-hunting and similar, versus essentially 'built to run on Richard's PC'. I also have a long list of features I plan to implement, including support for controllers, colour-blindness tweaks, static backgrounds just in case your machine chokes on the video, and aspect ratios. Think of this one as a sneak peek, with the usual back-covering that we have no liability for anything going wrong if you download and run it. I'm not sure what could happen, but nevertheless, on thine own head be it if it does.

All of that said, hope you enjoy! The path is restricted, but there's a fair bit more dialogue that you won't have seen in the trailer video. And hopefully it'll give you the tiniest, tiniest taste of the atmosphere we're looking to bring you with the real game.

Remember, if you want to play the full game, pledge and share! We're entering the final week, and every dollar counts if we're going to bring you this cool RPG.
Forget all of that, do we have footage of this supposed 'sexytime'?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
"Surviving" in a vampire game should involve running away from werewolves you pissed off by driving a van with your mates through their turf and then mauling one badly using forbidden ancient powers of Darkness and loosing an arm in the process; not scrounging for loose change in your couch cushions to do laundry.
fixed

fixed further.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tried the demo. it last for 10 minutes or so.

at first i am impressed because it seemed like it could go several ways, i tried twice, and the scenario plays exactly the same telltale style. maybe it is just a demo and not representation of the final product but this is how it went:

1st try:
-woke up at apartment with hot dominatrix vampire
-explain blah blah exposition, yer a vampire larry!
-try to find food. went to the alley, there was a hobo or a rat. not intend to hurt fellow hobo so i ate rat
-go to nighthawk nightclub. talk with bartender, sneak into VIP room, attack a rich guy and got arrested and because you are weak ass bitch, a bouncer with a stake or whatever clobber you
-woke up somewhere, talk ass to the club boss got killed (the demo ends here)

2nd try:
-same
-now eat hobo instead, you get more blood.
-hypnotizing club bouncer now works as a skill check so you get in faster (no need to wait in line) because you ate more blood = more power
-talk with bartender, same dialogue
-sneak into VIP room, try to be friendly to the rich guy, but still arrested
-the scene with the boss where you are apprehended are exactly the same if you are hostile or submissive. just few line changed, telltale style

overall am not impressed, but at least the background is pretty.

i mean it's really is juts a proof of concept, but the part where we argued "working in a bar sounds lame" it sounds lame and the demo didnt show you working in a bar, but the context could make sense. here is my prediction of how the first chapter goes (or at least how i would make it to not suck as much as possible:

basically you are caught by bar boss, tough guy with sstrong bodyguards, and you are a bitch as baby vampire. he forced you to work or be killed ( i wish there is an actual game over screen there if yo utry to violently resist). while working in the bar trying to get more powerful so you can revolt against the boss and break free. it could be good, because every time you use your tiny vampire power people got suspicious, and since vampire is revealed to the world, most people know petty trick like jedi vampire mind control and you're weak enough for the average person to resist. so you work in the bar, basically enslaved, and try to gain more power without arousing suspicion. since the boss and bouncers are all humans i guess you dont have to get very powerful, just enough to overpower several puny humans. chapter 1 ends and world map open up and you start to up against more supernatural entities.

it isn't as "the sims" ish as we expect, like the demo doesnt really show it, but if you are desperate, there are the option to just enter a sewer and hide for the day, probably eat rats and insects.

it is too early to tell but tobe honest the demo itself is 3/10, but i think it has potential.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
At this point it's guaranteed to make it over the line, right, since Dave or Richard can just throw in the remaining amount if need be, so as to claim the $82k already in the pot?

Dodo1610

Arcane
After the demo i am even less interested, it's really just a pretty VN with weak writing. Maybe the finished "game" is less boring but I highly doubt it will be more then something you read through and forget days later.
I mean I can kinda understand that someone wants to make a "sexy time" vampire visual novel but calling it a RPG is just stupid.

Dodo1610

Arcane
After the demo i am even less interested, it's really just a pretty VN with weak writing. Maybe the finished "game" is less boring but I highly doubt it will be more then something you read through and forget days later.

Uh thats suprising, afterall that man wrote things like this https://www.pcgamer.com/why-telltale-mattered/

Being a good author does not mean that he is good at writing everything. He obviously wants to make a something that feels like Vampires Bloodlines with it's gritty take on modern fantasy. Whichs is understandable, basicly everyone who played it agrees that the writing is it's strong point with forgettable eraly 2000 gameplay. So pretty much removing the gameplay to focus on the atmosphere and the characters and their interaction could lead to a good visual novel. But he tries too hard, and it ends up feeling like fanfiction. He copies ideas and without really understanding their meaning and context in the world.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm not sure that's allowed, MRY.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/posts/2296143

Nighthawks Exposed #9 - Second Death

Two weeks left in the campaign! And our penultimate design note before we head into the final push. Remember, every dollar counts. Tell your friends, spread the word, and if you've been thinking about checking out the higher tiers, this would be a great time!

Let's talk death. Specifically, how does Nighthawks deal with failure? The problem with a lot of RPGs is that failure tends to mean, to quote The Dark Room, "Ya die! Ya die! Ya die!" And make no mistake, that's a possibility here too. These are often dangerous streets.

But in general, death as the stock slap on the wrist isn't much fun. It discourages 'playing through the failures', which isn't just a euphemism for finishing Duke Nukem Forever, but not feeling the urge to reload every time you screw up on a skill check or a decision doesn't pay off the way you were hoping. Often, the most interesting drama can come from those moments, so for the most part we're trying to encourage players to roll with what happens and see how they go. However, while this is an easy thing for a designer to say, it's a two-way street. Much like just removing objective markers from an RPG doesn't work if the game offers no other realistic way to find where you need to be, making it 'okay to fail sometimes' has to be considered a key development pillar rather than just a hardcore playstyle.

To Live And Die In The City
That's why Nighthawks is designed to be less strict about failure than many RPGs. If you get mugged for instance, the mugger may kick your arse, but once you're down, they'll probably just want your wallet. For the most part, death is a long-term process - persistently ignoring problems and letting them build, versus doing something about them. Narratively, that also includes the Objectives of each act, such as keeping your nightclub profitable.

Minute by minute, it also goes into the health system. You have two basic health mechanics, Vitality and Wounds. Vitality is your stock hit-points system. You get hit, you lose Vitality, and provided that you're well-fed, Vitality restores itself at the start of each new day. Wounds represent more serious damage, such as being knocked out, injuries from silver or fire, or just a particularly hefty hitter deciding to rearrange your face. These have to be treated specially, which is expensive. Three wounds means it's time to rewind to a save.

Surviving On The Streets
The goal is to make sure that health and staying alive remains relevant, but outright death is saved for situations where you've either repeatedly let things slide, or you're facing someone who actually does want you dead. Don't expect a vampire hunter to be as forgiving as a random mugger, for instance. Fall to them and their ilk, and you're probably done.

As an aside, this ties into the roleplaying side, which doesn't assume that your character is automatically a fighting badass. You certainly can be! But if you want to role-play a character who was, say, a hairdresser who has never been in a fight in their lives, that's fine too. This is a modern city, not Thunderdome. Though that said, there are definitely places those characters should look to avoid, especially in the shadows under the city streets.

There's of course more to this, including the way that having a story that plays out over around three years of game time means scope for stories to develop in ways you might not be expecting, but it's the starting point. To go back to the credo that everyone deserves to be a badass vampire, 'badass' is what you make it. It just doesn't have to be perfect.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/posts/2298294

Nighthawks Exposed #10 - Flashbacks

And now, our final trip into the design notes before we hit the final hurdles. Just over a week left to make $50,000? Easy! Already preparing bonus stretch goals. But first...

One of the most exciting parts of the Nighthawks design is how we're handling NPC storylines - mostly Companions, but also a couple of others. Rather than just have them tell you their stories, you'll get to live them. Once you've earned enough trust or otherwise persuaded them to reveal their secrets, we enter a playable flashback sequence.

There's a lot of cool stuff to talk about here, but much of it I want to leave as a surprise. The flashbacks do however serve several purposes, the first of which is obviously to let us leave the city for a little bit and visit somewhere else, such as the pirates of 18th century Nassau to learn how the pirate queen Inez ended up spending the last couple of centuries at the bottom of the ocean in a wooden box, or to the Las Vegas strip to discover who Madame Lux was before she became the confident, showy vampire magician of the trailer. These aren't necessarily 'How I Became A Vampire' stories, but key events of their past that factor into each character's current position and whatever drives their stories. In a few cases, there might even (which is writer speak for 'totally is') some unexpected crossover between stories. Vampires live very long lives, and some are very well travelled...

As with so much in Nighthawks, this is something that's only really possible with either a ludicrous budget, or the wonderful freedom of text. We don't need entire tilesets for a few minutes of story, just one or two pretty pictures and some voiceover work. Still, the effect of being able to dig deeper into character stories adds so much, both in an individual game and when coming back to replay and pick up new allies. There's quite a few of them planned, and with the plan being to have them fully narrated (since it's the character telling you their story), should be a really cool chance for our voice actors to cut loose and perform something more substantial than just isolated lines of dialogue and similar.

They'll be a really fun addition. We think you'll like them a lot!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/posts/2300623

One Week Remains...

332a5848860ddd2aa5e3d6046ae79e08_original.jpeg

One of Ben's original test sketches for the Nighthawks visual style.

As the title says, we're heading into the final week of the Nighthawks campaign, at around 65% funded. Still very doable! Certainly, I'm proud that over 2500 people have been eager enough to play this to stump up so much cash. Of course, we still need to get over that final hump. As Kickstarter veterans will be aware, the first and last week of a campaign is where most of the action happens. So let's make this happen! And then celebrate with donuts!

Of course, any sharing and retweeting and similar is highly appreciated. Also, if you've been thinking about upgrading your pledge, now would be a great time. Along with the generosity-pledge of the Golden Credit Card ($100), we still have a couple of Patron of the Arts ($1000) rewards left. These let you become a vampire with their own storyline in the game. We also have two Ruler of the Night ($5000) rewards, where your vampire will be the master of a district of the city, such as the Docklands, demanding of due respect. Will you let some mere NPC steal your exalted position? And of course, there's the Landmark Offer ($200), where you can literally put yourself on the map, naming a street, business or similar in the city. Hell, for $500, I'll consider letting you make it Dankmeme Swamp.

No promises, mind.

About The Demo
Thanks to everyone who's played the demo and gotten back with nice things to say. In particular, it's the only way to see how nice the game really looks, free of horrible video compression. Those rain effects are particularly nice. If you've yet to try it, click here! For the most part it seems to be working for everyone, though I've had a couple of people say that the backgrounds aren't loading. This is an issue with the Unity video player. For the full game, I'm planning to use a different one, like AVPro (which will allow for h265 video that's smaller and higher quality) which should behave better. Sorry if you've had that issue, but I promise it's the first thing I'm planning on whipping into shape post-campaign.

Stretch Goals!
Honestly, the nice thing about this project is that we decided to go for the somewhat revolutionary concept of 'asking for the money that we need', so our stretch goals were always pretty secondary in our minds. Of course, more is always good, but we're absolutely fine if we hit our baseline. In fact, background story - originally I had voice acting as a stretch goal. Then we got in the audio from our demo actors (Ivy Dupler as Lux, Arielle Siegelas Becca and Ben Britton as Tancredi) and instantly realised - no, this is now a key feature that I can't imagine the final game being without.

However, we have been asked what we'd do with a little more cash, so I thought I'd reveal that now. Here (drum-roll) are the Official Nighthawks Stretch Goals!

$125,001 - Madame Lux is stretched one pixel taller

$135,000 - Two additional Companions, plus stories and flashbacks

$150,000 - Customise your personal Sanctuary with a range of cool props and visual options. Make a nightclub basement feel like Home.

$175,000 - Blood Origin quests. Dig deeper into your vampire heritage with a unique quest for each of the five Origins, and unlock a new power to help conquer the night.

$200,000 - Free visual novel style prequel for all backers - 'Nightcrawlers', a story set in the days before vampires were exposed. Meet some of the characters from the full game in a different context, and see how it happened.

$100,000,000 - Writer steals all the money, fakes death, moves to island full of cats.

Will we reach them? That would be lovely. But even if not, we think you'll be very happy with the scope that we're planning for the game. Our goal isn't to make the biggest game we can, but the right one, and spend every dollar raised on making it something worth both your money and your faith. Of course, that does rely on us hitting the goal, so please do join us in keeping the momentum going for these crucial last days.

And hey, if you know any capricious or forgetful billionaires, now would be a great time to 'borrow' their credit card. Not advocating doing this, of course. Just saying, is all.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Really? I feel like all the time I see games that are not close to getting over the finish line get a bunch of big-ticket donations at that last minute, and I always assumed it was that kind of chicanery. Is there something that prohibits it?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Being a good author does not mean that he is good at writing everything. He obviously wants to make a something that feels like Vampires Bloodlines with it's gritty take on modern fantasy. Whichs is understandable, basicly everyone who played it agrees that the writing is it's strong point with forgettable eraly 2000 gameplay. So pretty much removing the gameplay to focus on the atmosphere and the characters and their interaction could lead to a good visual novel. But he tries too hard, and it ends up feeling like fanfiction. He copies ideas and without really understanding their meaning and context in the world.
Yeah, Cobbett is good, even great at a lot of stuff, which makes what I've seen of Nighthawks break my heart all the more. I almost want to back this just to support him even though I don't have faith in this project. I want to see him make 10 games because I'm sure one or two of them would be well written and have compelling, original ideas. This is one of the disappointments we have to get through before he comes up with something good.

EDIT: Backed for $1.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Really? I feel like all the time I see games that are not close to getting over the finish line get a bunch of big-ticket donations at that last minute, and I always assumed it was that kind of chicanery. Is there something that prohibits it?

Years ago, we saw a game get shut down when the developer openly announced that he was going to fund it to completion in a Kickstarter update.

Though if you don't do that, it might not be detected, I guess...

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Somehow hadn't heard about this until now. Hope this isn't the secret rumored "Ben's game" that I've built up to be some giant adventure Piss 2 masterpiece in my head.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
24 hours to go to get 20k, this is going to be seriously close to the line. Hopefully it gets over it really does deserve it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It’s surging. I’m certain it will succeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom