Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yup, followed by DS if you include handhelds into best selling console lists and then the Wii.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Switch feels like you are being transported into some bizzaro late 80's early 90's time.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah. It really reminds me of the Atari Jaguar, the most powerful console of all time.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yokoi said, "The Nintendo way of adapting technology is not to look for the state of the art but to utilize mature technology that can be mass-produced cheaply.Yokoi held that toys and games do not necessarily require cutting edge technology; novel and fun gameplay re more important. In the interview he suggested that expensive cutting edge technology can get in the way of developing a new product

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yeah. It really reminds me of the Atari Jaguar, the most powerful console of all time.

The jaguar was the most powerfull console 1993 to playstation 1996 but it had 3 physical CPUs for different tasks..... imagine that today most games are not multicored, in 1993 it was like alien technology for devs and no one used it.
So the full power of jaguar was never realy used, all of the games were written on least powerfull motorolla CPU chip.

In comparison it would be like today a console would have 64 cores fo example..... I doubt any dev would write a game that would use all of the cores.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played the Octopath Traveler demo and I want the game.

Mercenaries Saga 1-3 is getting a physical release, so I'll get that, too.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finally Crapcom did something good for the consumers. They packaged all the good X games in one collection and all the shitty ones that you can avoid into another.

Mercenaries Saga 1-3 is getting a physical release, so I'll get that, too.

Just don't expect too much from those games. They are pretty weak. Might scratch some itch if you're really desperate for an SRPG but the mobile game restraints are pretty obvious when it comes to mission design.

Max Stats

Liturgist
BROS LOLOLLOL I WAS VISITING MY FAMILY AND MY BROTHWR BOUFHT A SWITCH

MARIO KART WAS FUCKING FANTASTIC AT LEAST THEY DID THAT SHIT RIGHT

LOLOLOLOL PORT OF A WII U GAME!

I LIKE THE SWITCH AND ALL BUT TOO MANY FUCKING PORTS

Picked up a Switch and a Pro controller this weekend. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube and I hadn't bought a games console since the PS3 in 2006 (which I got for one game only - Virtua Fighter 5). I bought Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Zelda + DLC.

It feels like a pretty solid piece of hardware and user friendliness is really ace (it is made for children, after all). The portable gimmick hit me harder than I thought it would, playing the exact same game in the crapper is awesome. The games are great and Nintendo seems to be the only big company that realizes how essential 60fps is for most games. Mario Odyssey is quite awesome so far, there are more ideas in 5 minutes of gameplay here than in the previous 5 years of AAA console tripe.

However, the ergonomics are pretty bad and I don't even have very big hands. I also bought a pro controller and would definitely recommend it if you're going to be playing long sessions. The rumble feels quite different on it compared to other controllers, the buttons are nice and roomy and it has a nice grip - very similar to the Xbox One controller (I bought one of those for PC games) but lighter.

Overall, even though I thought it was a pretty damn cool console I don't see myself playing a lot of it and I'll probably gift it to my niece. It'll probably have the Nintendo console syndrome where external software support will die out within 2 years and there'll be a slow trickle of Nintendo games as the next console is being developed. They'll probably iterate on the same idea, with a newer generation gfx chip or some such minor change. It's funny to me that Nintendo seems to be the only company that realizes the true effect of diminishing returns in tech.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah it seems like Nintendo blew their load with Odyssey, BotW and XB2 to bait in more people and now are going back to their usual release scheduling. Maybe they'll announce something in E3, but I won't be holding my breath. It's back to the same old same old of getting a new worthwhile game to play on the Nintendo platform every 6 months at best. Only thing that can save it is if Atlus adopts the Switch as their next dumping ground for all their games that aren't Persona, just as how they saved the 3DS.

Yeah, browsing the eshop there seems to be an overwhelming amount of ports and such, which don't interest me at all, especially not at Switch prices - I can get most of this shit on the PC for 3 bucks during a sale. The recent Wonder Boy remake is priced decently (20 bucks, which is about par for the non-discounted PC version).

I also don't understand how people get away with murder charging 8 bucks PER GAME for emulated NeoGeo. Do those actually sell?

Even stuff that I would be interested in, like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, is disgustingly overpriced. 60 bucks for a port of a 4 year old game is just incredibly hard to swallow, even if the game itself is brilliant (which it is, I think both Tropical Freeze and Returns are the best platform games in recent memory).

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
^
On top of my head confirmed switch nintendo games which will be coming

Mario tennis aces
Pokemon RPG
Smash Bros
Metroid Prime 4

Tigranes

Arcane
I've wanted to like the Switch from the start, but I basically got myself a cheap 2DS when the Switch came out and I don't regret it. I'm sure I'll exhaust the DS/3DS material, and get around to the Switch in a few years when, you know, it actually has a sizable library of fun games. Hopefully the relative success it is having encourages them to really build up a good range over time.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
A friend of mine showed me his Switch a while ago and after that I went ahead and

bought an old used Wii U as glorified emulator for old Zelda and Mario games. No regrets.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Most Atlus games are released on a Nintendo platform so who knows. It might be made for the PS4 though since the people involved are most familiar with the platform in their company.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I bought a Switch about a month ago

All games I have or will definitely buy:
Zelda BotW - Bought
Mario Odyssey - Buying next
Sonic Mania Physical Release - Coming very soon
Smash Bros Switch - Coming soon
Octopath Traveller - Coming soon
Mario Tennis - Coming soon
Metroid Prime 4 - Coming soon

With the exception of Sonic are all either exclusive or at least Nintendo only.

Console is only 1 year old, it's pretty promising so far. By comparison I bought a Wii U towards the end of its life cycle (and own Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze + Mario Kart 8 which I will not be re purchasing on Switch) and there's already more games out or coming out that I am interested on the Switch. And I am not even interested in Pokemon, or portable skyrim, or portable doom, or bayonetta franchise, which are all huge releases as well.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And only costs slightly more!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom