Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Max Stats

Liturgist
Not trying to be rude or anything, but aren't you lads a bit old to be playing nintendo games?

Until the casket closes on me, and 6 feet of dirt get piled above that, hell no, motherfucker.

And hopefully by then they have hookups so you can play in the casket, yeah!

Pirating any game that doesn't have a PC crack? For example valkyria chronicles 4 PC version isn't cracked yet but you could pirate it now on switch.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Atari flashback collection, 150 games, online added, 11/9

AFC%2BSwitch%2BFact%2BSheet.png

Fact%2BSheet%2B-%2BGoogle%2BDrive%2B7-7-2018%2B8-21-46%2BAM.png

Solid Snail

Learned

It's quite ironic that Nintendo, the videogames/consoles company that takes the most action in trying to take down piracy, is the one with most easily pirated videogames/consoles in the entire industry.
I think it's because a lot of their titles are from machines which are easily emulated, up to GameCube there are no problems on running their games. Ptoblems started when they introduced motion controls for their titles, but people found a way around that too, even if you have not original accessories to play with it's not optimal. Also NES e SNES roms are what, like 300 kb each? They can run everywhere so people download those even because of the file size and the fact they are not demanding at all.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, I expected not to get this for another year, but things happened and now I have it.

I expected a secondary games console to play stuff not available on PC, to play stuff while flying (which I do once a month or so), and I am very satisfied so far. I don't need 50 games, I just need a few good ones, and it seems like:
  • Zelda BOTW, which I am enjoying immensely
  • Mario + Rabbids is some kind of poor man's turn-based combat game, but it's surprisingly decent on difficulty and variety
  • Mario Odyssey & Mario Kart I expect to be worthwhile as usual
  • On the radar is Octopath Odyssey primarily, and new Fire Emblem & Etrian Odyssey (if they continue on Switch)
That's good enough for me to go on with. The hardware works really well to go handheld to screen to local two-player etc. super seamlessly.

Congrats, it's an extremely well designed piece of kit, even if at the end of the day it's just a toy tablet.

Did you get one of the recent patched units? If not, are you planning to install CFW on it/homebrew?

Tigranes

Arcane
I got it a week ago or so, so it's likely the newest hardware version - I doubt I'll fiddle with homebrew. It's at a similar state as 3DS, yes? I just can't be bothered, because I'll probably just keep it around for a small library of mainly exclusives rather than making it an all-purpose emulator.

They certainly do like to tempt people by charging full game prices for things like the Sega collection.

If it makes you feel any better, the Megadrive collection on Switch is garbage, there's a ton of input lag and display options are extremely limited. Also some sound skipping in some games like Phantasy Star 3. The Sega Ages releases are much better but they come out as individual games (so far I've played Thunderforce 4, Outrun and Phantasy Star from Sega Ages).

But yeah, Nintendo prices are ridiculous. Even if the games are top notch, they charge 60 bucks for ports of 4 year old games such as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (even if it is a brilliant game). That one stung when I bought it.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Japanese lawmakers have recently passed an amendment to the Unfair Competition Prevention Law. The amendment, in layman’s terms, has made the modification of video game save data illegal in Japan.

The law not only affects entities which are offering a service to modify save data, but also affects individuals who hack their own save data. Offering services to modify (modding) video game systems, including Nintendo Switch, has also been made illegal. Also affected are cheating programs and save data modification tools that are currently being offered by Cyber Gadget in Japan.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Retro Studios is taking over development for Metroid Prime 4
2019-01-25 07:30:00by Chris Carter

The other developer is out

Metroid Prime 4, announced nearly two years ago at E3, is getting a huge shakeup.

In the below clip, Shinya Takahashi, Senior Managing Executive Officer, plainly explains what's been going on behind the scenes and why Nintendo has been mum for this long. Citing quality concerns, Takahashi says that Nintendo had to make the "difficult decision" to "re-examine the development structure itself and change it."

What does that mean? Well the mystery developer (that we'll probably learn about soon enough through leaks, though reports point to Bandai Namco) is out and Retro Studios, the original production company that handled the Prime trilogy, is in. That's good news for Retro fans, though it comes with a catch: Takahashi says that development will now "restart from the beginning." Yikes! It looks like that "2018 and beyond" statement from Bill Trinen a few E3s back really puts the emphasis on "beyond." That said, we can wait. No one wants to see Metroid dead and buried because something rushed out of the door.

The Metroid Prime series, which debuted in 2002, is one of the most beloved Nintendo games of all time, and certainly one of the most celebrated on the GameCube. It welcomed two sequels, Echoes and Corruption in 2004 and 2007 respectively on the same platform, followed by a (now rare) Trilogy package on the Wii in 2009.

Although we got the 2D-centric Metroid: Samus Returns back in 2017, which kept the series afloat and will likely spawn a sequel, fans have been wanting a true Prime follow-up for over a decade now. They'll have to wait even longer, but with Retro in charge odds are it will see the light of day eventually. Retro has been fairly quiet since launching Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in 2014, so it's great to see the Austin Texas studio return to action. Nearly everything they touch seems to turn to gold.

Major incline.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
OK, I expected not to get this for another year, but things happened and now I have it.

I expected a secondary games console to play stuff not available on PC, to play stuff while flying (which I do once a month or so), and I am very satisfied so far. I don't need 50 games, I just need a few good ones, and it seems like:
  • Zelda BOTW, which I am enjoying immensely
  • Mario + Rabbids is some kind of poor man's turn-based combat game, but it's surprisingly decent on difficulty and variety
  • Mario Odyssey & Mario Kart I expect to be worthwhile as usual
  • On the radar is Octopath Odyssey primarily, and new Fire Emblem & Etrian Odyssey (if they continue on Switch)
That's good enough for me to go on with. The hardware works really well to go handheld to screen to local two-player etc. super seamlessly.

Yep it's awesome shit. I actually have two...a legit one for online stuff(Mario Kart etc), and a second with one of those SXPro mod card dongles, for all my piraty goodness and emulating. Being able to play Valkyria Chronicles 4 at work on it is great :P It also allows me to try all manner of shit that I wouldn't consider normally cause of the cost and if it's good, I'll buy it for the legit Switch. I also pirate the better indie stuff that I already have on PC. I'm not about to pay 10 times more for the same shit again.

Octopath Odyssey? you mean Traveller? Yeah it's a pretty good game. Can't wait for all the ATLUS stuff to finally move on from 3DS though...

Tigranes

Arcane
I've tried, though not completed, the bulleted games, and I'm pretty happy so far.

Odyssey is fantastic, and I think having both 2D and 3D side of Mario going strong is actually a great design achievement. Octopath isn't great but is quite good, BOTW is pretty great.

Rabbids I don't think is really worth more than a sale buy, it's a kind of Infant's First FFT.

Fire Emblem will be the big deal for me when it's out.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's already working well now.
what's its performance like in comparison to CEMU?

I don't know very well. Been busy these entire month so I can't test it out. But from what I can gather Mario Odyssey is fully playable, from beginning to end, at around 60fps, with few visual/audio glitches and other switch games are being worked on but are for the most part playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom