Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/01/nioh-2-story-trailer-post-launch-dlc-announced
Nioh 2 story trailer, post-launch DLC announced
Can you survive the Sengoku era and Dark Realm?

Sal RomanoJan 23, 2020 at 8:04 AM EST

Nioh-2-Story-PV_01-23-20.jpg

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Team Ninja have released the official story trailer and announced post-launch downloadable content plans for Nioh 2.

In Nioh 2, players will journey to 1555 feudal Japan, “a country gripped in the misery and madness of endless warfare,” and play as a mute rogue living as a hired mercenary and renowned Yokai hunter. Born to and abandoned by human and Yokai parents, you are burdened with the ability to take on supernatural Yokai form.

Here is an overview of the story and post-launch downloadable content plans, via PlayStation Blog:

Story

A war-torn realm haunted by evil spirits…

It is the Warring States period in Japan. The year is 1555. Never-ending warfare has transformed the nation into a land of chaos infested by demonic yokai, evil spirits who feed upon their victims.

It is in this setting of relentless mayhem that we meet our protagonist, a rogue mercenary hunting down yokai in the Mino Province. This demon hunter hides a terrible secret: they are a half-breed, the orphan offspring of both human and yokai blood. Unable to find a place amongst mankind, our demon hunter journeys alone.

Calamity strikes one day as our protagonist loses control of their own yokai power while battling against a ferocious fiend. However, the dire situation is remedied by a wandering merchant by the name of Toukichiro who sells strange “Spirit Stones”; magic—imbued artifacts that can help the wielder communicate with yokai spirits. Our demon hunter regains control of their demonic persona.

From there on, the two decide to combine their abilities and set out together to find more of the powerful Spirit Stones, their quest being funded by an influential warlord to track down the artifacts to ensure they’re reserved for proper use.

Their mission is cut short by an attack from someone – or something – also seeking the stones. They escape thanks to the help of a yokai huntswoman named Mumyo, and the three find refuge in the Owari Province, eventually ending up in the service of the great Oda Nobunaga.

But their future plans will be short-lived and they will once more come face to face with diabolical forces who also seek the remaining Spirit Stones. The stage is set for this epic saga of our half-breed yokai hunter- “Hideyoshi”.

Post-Launch Downloadable Content

We have three major downloadable content releases planned, with each focusing on a different storyline that pre-dates the events of Nioh 2, promising hours of additional gameplay that will provide plenty of challenge for those thirsting for more.

Similar to the original Nioh, players can expect new weapons, new combat abilities and new characters, with each downloadable content incorporating both multiple main and sub-missions.

The three downloadable content packs are included in Nioh 2’s Season Pass, which forms part of the game’s Digital Deluxe Edition (now available for pre-order). In addition to the main game and downloadable content, you’ll also get premium in-game items such as the Demon Horde armor set and Kodama Netsuke Charm.

For players who purchase the Nioh 2 Special Edition, in addition to the main game and Season Pass, you’ll receive an exclusive SteelBook case and “The Art of Nioh 2” booklet.

Nioh 2 is due out for PlayStation 4 on March 12 in Japan and March 13 worldwide.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I Unleash my Darkness every other day agaisnt my wife ; I tell her it's to prove my skill but she doesn't buy it. Bitch hasn't been believing anything I tell her since 10 years ago, this is why I unleash that darkness, she doesn't understand

cruel

Cipher
Last chance trial for Nioh 2 is now live on PS4.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sentinel

Arcane
I think this demo did a complete 180º on me and I have now decided not to buy the game at release. After the closed betas the devs put out a note on what they're going to address, and this final demo not only sees none of the issues addressed, but some of them are made worse. Not only does Dark Realm have more enemies, they added the crystals to them, and made the Ki penalty on the player more severe. The majority of the weapon skill trees are completely untouched from Nioh 1, and most of the skills are still useless. Iai Quickslash is still more powerful than a simple grapple. The loot "problem" (which I didn't think was a problem in Nioh 1) is now an actual problem because they introduced Blessed and Corrupted weapons that outclass 99.99% of other weapons you get, turning all of it into actual trash loot you don't even check. Instead of making the parry skills available to all weapons useful against Yokai, they introduced a Yokai Counter thing, and now the bosses are more about abusing the AI to bait the yokai counter than actually fighting them.

cruel

Cipher
Big Yokai-Monkey on the bridge kicks my ass. This means mandatory Day 1 purchase.

I think they fixed enemy variety issues as well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Instead of making the parry skills available to all weapons useful against Yokai, they introduced a Yokai Counter thing, and now the bosses are more about abusing the AI to bait the yokai counter than actually fighting them.

I watched most of the beta streams and that was my biggest concern about Nioh 2. The thing running through my head was "this will fuck up ALL boss fights in the game". I might turn out to be completely wrong but that's my before-release impressions.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think this demo did a complete 180º on me and I have now decided not to buy the game at release. After the closed betas the devs put out a note on what they're going to address, and this final demo not only sees none of the issues addressed, but some of them are made worse. Not only does Dark Realm have more enemies, they added the crystals to them, and made the Ki penalty on the player more severe. The majority of the weapon skill trees are completely untouched from Nioh 1, and most of the skills are still useless. Iai Quickslash is still more powerful than a simple grapple. The loot "problem" (which I didn't think was a problem in Nioh 1) is now an actual problem because they introduced Blessed and Corrupted weapons that outclass 99.99% of other weapons you get, turning all of it into actual trash loot you don't even check. Instead of making the parry skills available to all weapons useful against Yokai, they introduced a Yokai Counter thing, and now the bosses are more about abusing the AI to bait the yokai counter than actually fighting them.
I didn't try the demo, but everything you just said makes me want to avoid this game as well. Honestly, most of the new additions to the game are things I didn't like at all. Doubling down on them just makes it even less interesting to me. I saw some webms of new content too and, eh, didn't look too impressive. There was some new boss but it looked like it followed the Dark Souls 3 school of boss design which is very uninteresting to me. This game is definitely not a D1P. I'll have to wait and see what others say about it, or get it a few years later at a discount with all the DLC. If at all.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
And here I was hoping they learn from Nioh 1 and make an actual fair game this time. But nevermind I guess..

Sentinel

Arcane
Most of the skills are worthless bloat though. In one of the betas the jumping Yokai Skills could dodge grab attacks which made them shit on the snake lady boss, as well as the only useful ones of the bunch.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I didn't have a 360 at the time, so it was the Sigma version. I'll cop to it, I wasn't aware there was any difference.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Sigma 2 has a lot of quality of life tweaks that make the overall experience more pleasent, it introduces 3 chicks as playable characters, it has a coop mode, it introduces some new bosses (that honestely are shameful rip-offs of those God of War giant bosses), removes a few bosses and replaces other bosses.
However Sigma 2 has a lot less blood and gore, enemies aren't quite as agressive and the biggest change is the massively reduced enemy count - the original NG2 version throws such a ridicolous amount of enemies at the player that sections where the console performance starts to choke aren't uncommon.

If want to know the differences between Ninja Gaiden Black and Sigma 1 where's a comprehensive excell sheet:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom