Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Lunac

Arcane
Why not more tools & hardware for resource extraction? I mean, even the dumbest of the konsoletard brodudes can get behind the concept of a drill and/or drilling for resources ffs. Shooting at colorful blocks with your gun to collect their yummy golds! is just.... lazy. Goddamn Minecraft generation! God help us when these mutant snowflakes grow up and start walking among us!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
We should wait a week after release to see how many used copies end up back on the shelves of game stores.

Now that we know that my prediction is going to be true, not that there ever was any doubt in the first place, can we finally bury Murray and his team of incompetent hipsters?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
We should wait a week after release to see how many used copies end up back on the shelves of game stores.

Now that we know that my prediction is going to be true, not that there ever was any doubt in the first place, can we finally bury Murray and his team of incompetent hipsters?

But the game hasn't released yet so there aren't any used copies?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Why not more tools & hardware for resource extraction? I mean, even the dumbest of the konsoletard brodudes can get behind the concept of a drill and/or drilling for resources ffs. Shooting at colorful blocks with your gun to collect their yummy golds! is just.... lazy. Goddamn Minecraft generation! God help us when these mutant snowflakes grow up and start walking among us!

progression, have you heard of it ?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Finaly some new high quality screens

LUlW64Q.jpg

g869Pws.jpg

ENmO08k.jpg

RvW4jje.jpg

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what exactly is this game? What's the motivation to play? Is there an end game, story, missions, ship progression, etc. or is it just zooming around generic planets for hours and hours?

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The main objective is to get to the center of the universe.
How? Why (story)? Is there character (ship) progression to "level up" as you go? Do the enemies/hostile elements get progressively harder so you need to explore and find those special "upgrades"? I'm asking all this as I want to know if there is an actual game in there or if it's just endless repetition with no sense of progress.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"There's life on every single planet" seems like a necessary concession to reach a wider audience. As for the rest... it's hard to understand why so many people post stuff like "I hope this is not true," or "This is incredibly disappointing." What kind of game did they expect?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So no ship progression at all. Then what's to point to the game to make me want to keep playing.........?:decline:

There is a goal:

No, I mean the aim of the game Sean keeps talking about it "making it to the center"

There is confusion amongst some people, myself included, that the center of the "galaxy" and the center of the "universe" are separate.

The distinction is important, because if its the galaxy only, then the game is "beatable" in 10-15 hours. If theres an extended goal of getting to the center of the universe, then theres more to the game's goal than 10-15 hours.

But there is no such thing as a universe. You're citing a goal of getting to something that doesn't exist.

Let's pray for DLC.

mindx2

Patron
Maybe I'm just dense but I'm still trying to find out what the gameplay, story, endgame, etc. is to this, you know, game. Is it just a really pretty screensaver with no point to it but looking at weird procedurally generated plants and animals...? That sounds like it would get boring real fast.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
To explore, to mine minerals for fuel, and to see the cool procedurally generated animals (more than 2 million different species!). If you want more, you can fly to the center of the galaxy. What you find there will blow your mind.

edit: and for all of his criticisms, the reviewer still liked it:

lR17J6j.png

mindx2

Patron
To explore, to mine minerals for fuel, and to see the cool procedurally generated animals (more than 2 million different species!). If you want more, you can fly to the center of the galaxy. What you find there will blow your mind.

edit: and for all of his criticisms, the reviewer still liked it:

lR17J6j.png

You're not very good at PR-type hype Bubbles. :P

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The game was leaked and the owner has reached the center of the galaxy already, in under 12 hours. With most of the suit upgrades.

He deems the whole experience underwhelming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4va7ve/the_spoilersleaks_megathread/d5yg3u9

This will be as spoiler-free as it can be, and anything I discuss here is so minimal of a spoiler that it should be disregarded.

So, I've reached the center. For now, I'll just keep it a secret. I realize it is "the secret" of the game and I'm sure other people will spill the beans for clickbait sooner than later, so fear not fellow spoiler hounds - someone out there will feed your appetite I'm sure.

I just want to dispel some misconceptions right now and clear the air on a few things before I (finally) sleep.

• The Atlas Stone thing is not an "exploit." I was careful to word this so as to not spoil some stuff surrounding it, but please stop insinuating as if I found some game breaking cheat/exploit and abused it. This is NOTHING of the sort. The location of the Stones/Fuel is VERY specific, it's a VERY important location / theme in the game, none of this is by chance and they clearly meant to make it special. I said I PERSONALLY disagree with the design choice, but it's there for now and it is what it is.

• The free Fuel doesn't bother me nearly as much as the units gained by the Stones. The pacing was going okay until I ran in to these and then it just skewed everything for me. Here, I'll give you hard numbers - I was selling stacks of rare resources for 20-30K. Uncommon ones maybe 5-10k. Atlas Stones sell for 275K...

• Yes, there was life on every planet. Every single one. But, keep in mind, the life itself VARIED dramatically - when I found life on the "Fauna: None" planets, it was seriously stupid shit like prairie dogs. I wasn't encountering giant rhinos or anything. I THINK, although I could be wrong, but I THINK Sean's "90% of planets are bone dry" comment was in reference to planets LOADED with life. Or they just changed their mind last second - who knows.

• Contrary to what a lot of people think, I have done A LOT of what the game has to offer. I actually intentionally took time out of my warp jumping over the course of going to the middle to explore planets to break up the monotony of it. This does not mean I have done all of the major events, however - I am still yet to swim to the bottom of a big ocean. I am still yet to destroy a space station. I definitely still have stuff to do.

• Another gripe I have right now with the claims on the game before release is this whole "it gets weirder the closer to the middle you get." If you're like me, you expected some seriously obvious inclinations that this was happening as you progressed, and for me... I haven't seen much in the way of difference as I went. The ONLY ONLY ONLY big difference, and honestly the only reason I pushed it so hard, was the weapon crates you saw in the Trade video with the guns for trade improve in quality as you go further in. So, for me, my basic logic was... the sooner I get to the area at the middle, the sooner I have the best multi tool, so why wait?

• Here's a HUGE gripe for me at the moment. I'm going to list some bugs at the bottom and I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but holy shit has this been annoying. I've "upgraded" my suit to unlock all available inventory slots possible. I've found and bought what I "think" is a multi tool with the maximum amount of slots available in the game. However, ships HAVE NOT IMPROVED AT ALL throughout the entire course of the game. This is not a joke. I am at the point now where my PERSONAL SUIT has something like 3-4x the total inventory / module slots as my fuckin ship. That seems wrong to me.

• There are bugs. Quite a few in fact. In some moments I really start to feel as if this game would have benefited from a beta test. PRAY for a Day 1 patch, not only to nerf the sale cost of Atlas Stones but also to address some of this shit too:

• Currently, Beam Upgrades for your multi tool seem broken and ass backwards. Upgrades that are supposed to slow down the heat up of your beam, actually speed it up. Upgrades that are supposed to speed up the mining speed of the beam, actually slow it down. Essentially, your STARTING beam is as powerful as it can be, and if you upgrade it with +1 +2 +3 beam upgrade modules it becomes UNUSABLE. This would, in theory, mean that the fully upgraded beam is actually the beam you're supposed to START with, which would mean my early exploration would have gone a LOT slower.

• Sea creatures spawn in shallow water completely vertical stuck in the ground. This isn't like a one time bug thing either, 80% of the large sea creatures have spawned this way, which is a super bummer for me because sea creatures are my favorite and I can't even appropriately scan them or even naked eye view them when this happens.

• I've had the game full on crash to PS4 menu something like 20 times now. Usually when I'm warp jumping. No joke. Save your game a lot kids, you'll be pissed if you don't.

• Again, not finding ship upgrades has been super frustrating. Is it a bug? Is the game not spawning better ship module inventories like it's supposed to? Are we actually just supposed to have ships with 1/4th the total inventory of our suit? What gives HG, c'mon.
This entire post isn't even actually a review or anything, this is just addressing a lot of major points people keep bringing up. Once I complete other things like engaging in big scale battles, I'll make a final review.

Oh, and I didn't even pop a trophy for hitting the center. C'mon man...

EDIT: Some people want some quick positives, so stealing some I wrote down below:

• While I still haven't found a planet flush with Plants and Fauna as some of the trailer planets (I'll attest this to Sean's claim of those super full and awesome planets being a REALLY low chance to find) I will say that the terrain and overall vibe of the planets has been surprisingly refreshing. I never really have moments where I land on a planet and say, "Oh no, not this one again." They have a lot of variables in the procedural - even the most mundane things like coloring can mean a world of difference. One planet may seem VERY different from another simply because one is purple and another is yellow - you don't notice the similarities as much this way.

• Everything is very smooth. The space combat, the entering / leaving your ship, the warp jumps, all of it just feels really sharp while you're playing. I really enjoy the space flight, it's quick enough that I don't sit around twiddling my thumbs but it's long enough at times where I legit feel like I'm traversing a realistic space-distance.

• The noises and sound in this game are some of the best I've ever experienced. The animal noises are incredible. They set the mood in such fantastic ways - you'll hear them from quite a ways off and it really sets the tone for that planet. It's very immersive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom