Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

justincz

Scholar
i got sick of the game just by watching 1hr of that video. my god! flashing terrain, popups and notifications never ends. you cant loook at anything without noise/light pollution.
the equivalent of supercruise in ED is like, click on a planet and get either a mosh blurb around the cockpit or a discolight while it takes you there.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Have you ever heard of graphic settings on PC ?

Don't just assume it'll have settings and options up the ass, it could have the bare minimum and the LoD distance and such might not even be tweakable.

Mortmal

Arcane
Why in the world did he pay $1300 for it? Is he going to make it all back from Unboxing/streaming vids/review?
Worldwide fame, redditers meltdown, butthurt of epic proportion, its well worth the 1300$.

justincz

Scholar
watched thru the whole thing, cant believe people think this shit looks good, awkwardly generic.
you cant even land your ship or crash it on a planet. bounces of an invisible shield of some sort. you click a button to land, its automatic. basically the only "skill" you have is shooting plants, rocks and some arcady ships. a single button may suffice for all of this, a child can do it. (actually it feels like its marketed to kids)
no sense of mystery or discovery, its all around you as soon as you touch down.
space stations and housing looks bland and boring. no awe.
stupid animals everywhere doing all kinds of sillyness like swim on land (lol)
although big it feels small.
no insentive to carry you further.

bah!

Jazz_

Arcane
Just like Starbound. Wanna get rich quick? It's easy! Just market your turd to kids and exaggerate as hard as you can.

Not in the good ol' times tho:

66813.jpg

Ok maybe not so good ol' times.

GrainWetski

Arcane
You can't even land manually on planets? Wasn't being able to do so one of the main selling points of the hype brigade?

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Some reddit users
24 by now..... Some things on this list sure will change as more get to play the game, but for now it's like this:

1. 90/10 life rule. So far 100% of the planets have life.

2. No real ship classes.

3. No "weirder planets and creatures closer to the center"

4. Community working together to discover crafting recipes. Everything now has a blueprint.

5. No "Epic space battles" Space is rather empty most of the time.

6. No Element combination.

7. Portals. No one seen them (perhaps yet)

8. No ringed planets.

9. No barren planets.

10. No leaving messages for players.

11. No ship naming.

12. No AI wingmen.

13. No animals walking in herds, they all walk rather random.

14. Cloaking devices are missing.

15. Lack of mountain-sized mountains.

16. Harvesting resources from stars, you can't even get close enough to them.

17. No Day/night cycles being caused by planetary rotation and planets don't seem to be lit by the sun at all or even orbit.

18. No creature food chains.

19. None of those ship formations flying overhead on planet surface either, actually the business you see in the trailers is totally absent.

20. No sign of creatures affecting trees and fauna (like the rhino in second trailer)

21. Blasting holes in asteroids, so far I've only seen them blow up.

22. You cannot see as far as the curvature of that planet.

23. The universe is absent. it seems to be a chain of galaxies you move through and as far as we know now, once you leave a galaxy for the next one, you cannot return. That's not really an infinite universe at all.

24. No landing on asteroids.
The problem is that now, every planet is basically just a pallet swap of the same thing.

We were under the impression that planets were going to have different things to do on them. If you found a lush, peaceful planet you'd spend time discovering life forms. If you found a hostile planet, you'd spend time fighting. If you found a desolate planet, you'd spend time collecting resources.

But no, every planet turned out to be a hodgepodge of everything. It's the Ubisoft-ificiation of gaming: make everything so activity-dense it's outright mind numbing. Repeat the same task over and over and over and over and... watch numbers go up?

There's no allure in exploring if every single planet has you doing the same thing, albeit in a differently coloured environment.

Last edited:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
This is why you can't dig a tunnel through a planet.
So a redditor wanted to know why can't you dig past 128 meters in game.

I figured many of you want to know, and since I don't have anything better to do till august 10th, and because I'm tired of drama on this sub, I can do something informative for the rest of you.

**Please note that this is simplified because I don't want to complicate this post with technical stuff. If you're looking for technical stuff, look in the comments.**

So let's say you're in space and you see [this beautiful planet before you](http://i.imgur.com/tVaEuhn.jpg). Clearly, the planet is round and because you live on Earth you asume that its 3D and given enough time, you can dig through it's core to reach the other side. It's a fair assumption.

But this is imposible to do in No Man's Sky. Why? Please look at this amazing piece of art below:

http://i.imgur.com/ArtXuke.jpg

The game divides a planet into chunks, same like Minecraft. Once you land, you don't see the planet anymore, but the chunks that surround you.

Once you land, the game renders a tiny plane from that sphere around you (like minecraft chunks). So basically, when you're on the ground, the 'earth is flat' - you're walking on a flat surface with mountains and hills on top. There is no "other side", or core to dig to because the planet as a sphere only exists in space. If you would break the last layer of the chunk, you would fall through the planet, because there's nothing under that loaded surface. Think Minecraft, where after a certain depth you would hit bedrock, and after that, endless void.

EDIT: As a sidenote and a bit of technical stuff, the planets are actually cubes mapped to spheres. It looks [like this](http://i.imgur.com/ZrQ4njD.png), and each square is a chunk.

EDIT 2: [Super duper technical talk about this](https://youtu.be/-KHLwQ9IY-s?t=578) (thanks /u/cherbert, for reminding me about it)

EDIT 3: I know that Hello Games could have done planets differently and then we could drill a planet all the way through, but they didn't. It was their choice, for performance reasons or whatever. This post is not about "what ifs", but about "what is".

EDIT 4: [Giant Bomb podcast - One of the guys asked Sean how far down you can dig and Sean apparently said 128m](http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bombcast-06-23-2015/1600-1260/)

EDIT 5: Ok, *"Why does this limitation exist in the first place?"* It seems I forgot to explain this and apparently it's imperative to do so! So the limitation is there for any of the following reasons (including ones which I can't of think right now):

- it requires additional work for the PC/Console to render additional layers, so performance reasons.
- it would require way more work to implement correctly, so developement time reasons.
- it adds too little to gameplay value (you don't find anything underground besides caves, which already exist), so no gameplay value reasons.
- the devs wanted to keep things sweet and simple, and this allowed them to focus on more important things, like how to generate cool stuff for us to find.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Also, the production team itself is small enough that it doesn't need to sell as much as most games of this hype magnitude need to, and its been topping the sales charts for a while already. Hopefully it does at least give them some reputation trouble if its as bad as it seems.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This game is going to bomb so hard.

Pretty much the only thing that matters is marketing and Sean has been sucking a lot of dick.

You say that, but flops have been known to happen, and studios have been known to go under.

Also, the production team itself is small enough that it doesn't need to sell as much as most games of this hype magnitude need to, and its been topping the sales charts for a while already. Hopefully it does at least give them some reputation trouble if its as bad as it seems.

We live in a world where studios die even when they sell games at a profit, just not well enough.

Don't act so surprised when the game flops hard and the studio dies. Pre-orders count for something, but if the game is massively shit then expect most copies returned back to the store within a week or two once people realize that the game doesn't have anything to offer past the first 2 hours. Pre-orders are not guaranteed sales everywhere either. I know in Kwa the stupid fucks have a system where you pay the full price of a game when you pre-order, but in Finland that only happens in Gamestop which is cancer. In other stores pre-order is just a reservation and you needn't pay anything for it. You can pre-order and never get the game, if you like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom