Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence / Souzou on Steam

dehimos

Augur
Word of advice:

ALWAYS look for capable enemy officers you can conspire with. Had a 90 leadership guy defect to me with his unit before a battle. Can make the difference between life and death.

And before declaring war, make sure that you have a trio of officers as leaders in each army you plan to raise with following stats:

Leader with high LEAD
1st lieutenant with high VALOUR/INT (since if the deputy has those higher than the leader, those skills apply to the unit instead)
2nd lieutenant with a good combat skill such as sharpshoot or keen spear arts.

If your castle has an upgrade or building that raises local army's ranged or melee dmg, choose a lieutenant with appropriate skill/traits. Masamune's brother has an excellent spearman trait and a red lancer combat skill. Put him in a unit equipped with horses and raised from a settlement with blacksmith built and iron gate and that army becomes unstoppable. Also, make sure to teach skills to your generals. Like that one that scales dmg compared to INT difference with enemy officer.

These things saved me when playing Date vs a Hideyoshi with 200k troops. That and fortified posts prepared for ambushes and surrounding maneuvers in the mountainous regions in the west.

Any advice for battle? I use a big unit and lost many soldiers against little units.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
So I finally defeated the Ouchi in the Saionji game. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, once I captured one of their major castles, all the rest fell quickly. I had trouble with the Shimazu clan on the southern half of Kyushu, and when my alliance with the Oda ended, I quickly grabbed Nijo Palace, modern Kyoto, which allowed me to declare myself shogun and end all war, winning the game.

So now it's time for a new game.

nz7wChS.jpg

I guess I haven't learned any lessons from the previous games, because I'm right next to the Hojo and they're my enemies. I'm the Ogigayatsu Uesugi, the rulers of the Kanto region who were destroyed utterly by the Hojo in real life. We'll see if that happens this game (it will). As you can see, I have a strong network of alliances with the clans to the north and west, most notably the Takeda, who are almost as powerful as the Hojo. Since I can't take on the Hojo yet, I'll need to attack the smaller clans to the south, starting with the Oda to the east, who have no allies.

PGEiT9M.png

My daimyo and best character, Tomoki Uesugi. Just terrible. My only chance of survival is by maintaining relations with the Takeda, who are currently enemies of the Hojo, so I sent Tomoki as an ambassador to them.

e4BWhAg.jpg

One of the cool things about the game is that you occasionally get quests that have nice rewards. In this quest, I need to upgrade my castle to a certain point, and my reward will be the "politician" trait, which helps with resource management. Characters gain traits over time as their stats increase - some traits have minor effects, like the politician trait, and some significantly change how a character plays.

WHBQyHd.jpg

Something's going on between the Hojo and Takeda. With the Hojo on the march and not paying attention to me, I have an opportunity to attack the Oda clan to the east.

Zb3leL8.jpg

With the Hojo out of the region, I was able to besiege the Oda castle. The Satake clan had the same idea I did and we ended up fighting, but I kicked them out and took the castle for myself, ending the Oda clan and absorbing their officers.

The conflict between the Takeda and Hojo seems to be over a Yamanouchi Uesugi fortress between their lands, and it looks like the Hojo came out on top. Although they didn't win the castle, they proved that they are superior to the Takeda on the battlefield.

Nc1ixeG.jpg

At the same time, my daughter came of age. I could choose to make her an officer, which I need right now, or a maiden. As a maiden, she can marry a member of another clan to cement a permanent alliance between us. Depending on how things go with the Hojo and Takeda, I might need to use her with one of those clans.

Things are looking up! We'll see how soon I get crushed by the Hojo.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Shitlord, she's a strong, independent womyn who don't need no clan

Any advice for battle? I use a big unit and lost many soldiers against little units.

Maneuver to the side before the battle begins and try to attack them piecemeal. If you end up getting surrounded and confused by salvoes, you are fucked. It's better to outright charge small formations if you end up getting caught in the middle.

Otherwise, just keep them in front of you and fire at them. Have your unit slowly pull back/move forth as needed.

oscar

Arcane
Any recommended starts for a beginner to learn the ropes?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

If you play a small clan, you won't even learn much before getting swallowed up. Small clans are clan with less than 3 officers and 10,000 population.
What you want is a moderate size clan with at least 10,000 population for sufficient labor to experiment and practice survival diplomacy.
My experience is limited, but I reckon pick those clans on the edges of the island for easier defensive plays and more focused early offense.

Once you've swallowed up all the immediate small players, you will learn that you're just another shark in a sea full of sharks.

RK47

Patron
Nah, getting triggered with the events aren't really gonna make things clear for him at all.
Also, play with the historical quests disabled.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Shimazu and Chosokabe have good starts, good starting officers and no real competition in their areas. Mori might be worth trying too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wot I Think: Nobunaga’s Ambition Sphere Of Influence

Love of history starts with a love of good stories. The complexity and doubt come later, when you have heard the same stories so many different ways that the veneer of the Great Men narrative starts peeling away from the foundations of messy, conflicting fact. But that love of a good story never really goes away.

Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence [official site] succeeds or fails based on your willingness to hear, and take part in, just such a story. There’s a storybook quality to this game that can prove disarming and captivating even as the game itself can sometimes be so repetitive and straightforward that at times it plays almost like a Facebook strategy game. Like its title character, who scarcely has time for anything but his plans for national unification, Nobunaga’s Ambition has its gaze fixed on the great themes of its era: warfare, diplomacy, family, and betrayal. It’s a little hazy on the details of economy, foreign policy, and tactics.

Set in the late Sengoku period, Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence is at once a strategy game in which you try to lead one of many powerful Japanese clans to hegemony over the rest of the country, and an historical fiction in which larger than life characters (reimagined as the super-handsome, smoldering senpais that you dream might one day notice you) re-enact famous moments and bring to life some of the grandeur and tragedy of the age.

The presentation is charmingly retro, and will strike a nostalgic chord in anyone who played the classic Koei games from the 1980s and 90s, like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Liberty or Death, or the old Nobunaga’s Ambition games. Despite an interface that looks like it’s still tuned for old consoles, Sphere of Influence works well with a mouse and has a surprisingly effective in-game tutorial and help menu that makes sense out of the slightly baffling iconography.

In keeping with that air of nostalgia, most of the cutscenes are nothing but text-dialogues featuring static backdrops and character portraits, and lots of lines that only say, “…” to make sure you know you’re playing a Japanese game.

nobunaga2.jpg

There are affecting moments here, however. We see a touching goodbye between the ruthless warlord Imagawa Yoshimoto and his chief advisor and mentor, the Buddhist monk Sessai Taigen. The old monk is retiring and near the end of his life. He knows he’s going to hell for the things he did in life, but he tells Imagawa that it was all worth it.

“Then wait for me in hell,” Yoshimoto replies, because by the time he’s done doing what needs to be done to unify Japan, heaven will be closed to him as well.

On the other hand, given the fussiness and repetition of governing a clan in Nobunaga’s Ambition, I wouldn’t be too sure that Yoshimoto wasn’t already there.

Governance, in Nobunaga’s Ambition, is chiefly about constant attention to detail, and that is the game’s biggest weakness. The period is one of Shakespearean drama, but from one month-long turn to another, you’re clicking on all your settlements and checking on their development, looking at a long list of officers to see who is becoming disloyal, giving gifts to wavering subordinates, and making sure your diplomats are still plugging away and earning trust from other daimyo.

nobunaga3.jpg

The cumulative effects of these decisions are significant, but they’re needlessly granular. Fortunately, you can automate a lot of governance and, later, you’ll have to turn territory over to subordinates, but the nuts-and-bolts details of rule just aren’t that interesting. The economy is too forgiving, and your tools for managing it are too straightforward to allow for satisfying strategic dilemmas.

Yet I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy it. There is a pleasant boredom to this game. In each turn, you are watching your holdings grow and your capacity for action increase. The richer you get, the more options you have every turn. The arc that takes you through from being the lord of a small castle to a mighty warlord with armies fighting across half of Japan is undeniably satisfying.

The problems you face also get thornier. For one thing, you need lots of vassals and retainers to administer even a small territory. Every major construction project requires an overseer. So does every city. All diplomacy must be carried out by a different officer. Every army contingent needs a commander.

nobunaga4.jpg

There’s no shortage of candidates, but there is a severe shortage of people who are both capable and loyal. It doesn’t take long before you’re playing a shell game with yourself, moving useful but unreliable officers into positions where they can’t do too much harm, and trying to find good loyalists for the really critical jobs. Unhappy characters can’t be trusted, you see. Best case scenario, they’ll be lured away by another clan. Worst case, they’ll wait until they’re in command of one of your armies and then they’ll defect, or at least sit on their hands while enemy armies stroll past unmolested.

The downside here is that checking loyalty becomes incredibly tedious. Every few turns I was opening up my list of officers and checking to see who was wavering, who was halfway to treason, and who was reliable. Then it was just a matter of seeing who to get rid of, and who to buy-off with an official appointment or a shiny bauble. This is, in fact, the chief problem with this game. Most of the time there’s a clear, straightforward solution to every problem that arises, with no real trade-offs. It’s just a matter of marshalling the resources that will allow you to push a button and fix a problem.

nobunaga6.jpg

What Nobunaga’s Ambition does very well is create a sense of fleeting opportunity. It takes a lot of time and money to open the door to a major offensive. You have to have diplomats earn trust from other daimyo. You have to have your troops rested and replenished back at base. You need to make sure you will have enough soldiers to actually lay successful sieges, especially because you need large troop contingents to besiege particularly strong forts (since siege slots are limited, one contingent of 5000 men is far better at conducting a siege than five levies of 1000 men apiece). If you don’t prepare well, your campaign can be set back by years.

Because nothing lasts in this game. Alliances are short-lived and fluid. When your troops march to the border of an enemy’s lands in June, your adversary might be diplomatically isolated. When you invade in July, your enemy might have three powerful clans racing to their aid. Your soldiers themselves only have supplies for a few months before they must return to friendly territory to stock-up. Each time you request aid from an ally, you are consuming trust — their willingness to grant your requests — and will have to wait for your diplomats to do their work again if you want more help.

nobunaga7.jpg

Creating these windows of opportunity is really where this game is won and lost. Who your allies are, what they can offer, and how many of your own troops you can put into the field is what matters here, not battlefield heroics. That’s why the battle system ends up being such a dud. While the battles look nice enough, despite some crude unit animations, you barely have to maneuver your lines of troops across the simple landscapes. Armies just blast away with arrows until someone runs out of men, and even commander abilities don’t seem to have a huge effect. I soon found myself leaving the battles alone, especially since the AI will usually squander its armies piecemeal anyway.

Ultimately, Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence is a game that succeeds on the basis of its broad strokes. I enjoyed playing at being a daimyo, lining up my allies and officers before a major push into a new part of Japan, and then watching the little flags and arrows of my armies start marching in every direction across the map. I loved subverting the right enemy officer at just the right moment, or securing a wavering officer’s undying faith by giving him high office and a marriage to a daughter of the clan.

It starts to fall apart if you look hard at the minutiae: the simplistic economy, infrastructure development, and the somewhat directionless AI. It’s charming and evocative, but the more I play it, the less substantial it gets.

Ninjerk

Arcane
You should use the "Student Infatuation" tactic against Gragt. It beats him everytime.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

This video is for all the fools, knaves and philistines who can't figure out how to play. I accept my duty as your sensei and will instruct you on the art of Major League Gaming.

Nope, never mind, looks like it was removed from Youtube for being too long. Thanks anyway.

RK47

Patron
:lol: I give it a Brofist for effort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom