Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Notice that <---> effect?
Well...
giphy.gif

I asked because I didn't.

SlamDunk

Arcane
One of the coolest deaths I've seen lately (pun intented). Physics-powered emergent gameplay at its finest.

Last edited:

crakkie

Arcane
I finally got my trifecta of nukes+glass cannon+explosion immunity. Fired in the middle of a level, it destroys everything top to bottom. I cleared out a few levels like this before dying, when half of the holy mountain dropped on me from above. Goddamn game crashed when it was saving my death gif.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Snowy Update released.

https://noitagame.com/release_notes/

Nolla Games said:
FEATURE: 15 new spells!
FEATURE: New, very elusive creature roams a certain area...
FEATURE: New creature. Very bomb.
FEATURE: 5 new weather phenomena
FEATURE: 5 new magical materials
FEATURE: New Game+

UPDATE: No restart when entering nightmare game via main menu
UPDATE: Downwards bolt bundle has unlimited uses
UPDATE: Changed item attraction perk to gold attraction to make it more useful
UPDATE: A hidden creature has an extra tool
UPDATE: Tweaked a boss' sounds
UPDATE: Foggy nights are darker
UPDATE: Cosmetic tweaks to fire immunity perk
UPDATE: Optimization - tentacles are more CPU-friendly
UPDATE: Various gameplay tweaks
UPDATE: Gold nuggets come in various different sizes
UPDATE: Summon hollow egg has unlimited uses

BUGFIX: Nightmare mode - some of the entrances were blocked
BUGFIX: Nightmare mode - empty chunks were appearing in places
BUGFIX: Thunderstone could be placed into spell inventory
BUGFIX: Fungal caverns had no potion spawns
BUGFIX: Healers etc were friendly with player
BUGFIX: Revenge explosion and tentacle did nothing
BUGFIX: Fixed TNT explosions
BUGFIX: Several randomized effects were broken
BUGFIX: Loading screen audio didn't fade smoothly
BUGFIX: Autosave should work better now
BUGFIX: Crash - Boss crashes, general stability fixes
BUGFIX: Crash - relating to the Light modifier

MODDING: Mods can define new game modes (see mods/nightmare for an example)
MODDING: Lua/BUGFIX - dofile handling when file doesn't exist was a bit broken and didn't log errors
MODDING: Lua/BUGFIX - fixed a lua sandbox escape exploit
MODDING: Lua - added ProceduralRandomf()
MODDING: Lua - added Randomf()
MODDING: Lua - added GetComponentTypeName()
MODDING: Lua - added GameGetDateAndTimeLocal()
MODDING: Lua - added GameGetDateAndTimeUTC()
MODDING: Lua - added GameEmitRainParticles()
MODDING: Lua - added GetRandomAction()
MODDING: Lua - added script_kick to LuaComponent
MODDING: Tags - now there are 256 tag slots available for Entities

Destroid

Arcane
Made it all the way to the boss and was kicking ass with a very powerful wand (turns out those bouncy greens spells are legit all the way to the end with a damage+ buff and a high ROF), then my toes got stuck in lava and I melted to death :(

This is seriously tempting me. It shouldn't be, I shouldn't spend $15 on an indie pixel platformer fuck around game since I'm already completely swamped with games and plan on nabbing RDR2 soon anyway (On top of ignoring almost all non-card games and playing MTG and Arkham Horror instead) but fuck it looks fun.

Jinn

Arcane
This is seriously tempting me. It shouldn't be, I shouldn't spend $15 on an indie pixel platformer fuck around game since I'm already completely swamped with games and plan on nabbing RDR2 soon anyway (On top of ignoring almost all non-card games and playing MTG and Arkham Horror instead) but fuck it looks fun.

It's worth it and you should get it. It's only getting better with every update too. There will be many years worth of fun to be had with this one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

In this 2019 GDC session, Nolla Games' Petri Purho talks about the technical details of Noita's physics engine, including scaling up the falling sand simulation to support large continuous worlds and integrating destructible rigid body physics, while demonstrating the emergent physics based gameplay.

Bought the Ongoing Adventures of Bobbin Threadbare in the Steam sale and it is a really cool game. I enjoy the fact that it's kind of a weird mess rather than trying to be finely honed and designed like Spelunky or similar. I tried going all the way to the left of course, and climbed the giant tree I found, and got a mysterious egg which I thought was cool until I got swarmed with super-sized acid dudes. Reaching an ice-level just as I took a "Liquid freezes around you" perk was neat too, even if it led to a lot of crumbs of frozen water and acid stuck in the air.

V_K

Arcane
So how much procedural generation is going on exactly? The updates mention puzzles and there's a world map, so I assume it's not fully random?

Atrachasis

Augur
So how much procedural generation is going on exactly? The updates mention puzzles and there's a world map, so I assume it's not fully random?

The broad layout of the world map is fixed. There will always be certain structures on (and above) the surface more or less in the same place, and a fixed arrangement of themed "levels" as you explore deeper (all completely continuous, though, without any loading screens). Always the same bypass from the Mines to the Ice level etc.

The floorplan of the individual "levels" or regions is procedurally generated within the space reserved for it on the world map. There are some recognizable structures on small scales (such as the giant vats of fluid in the first region) that tend to repeat. Also, I'm pretty sure that not just the specific type and location of monsters and items depend on the seed, but also the general frequency of items and certain monster types. There are runs where you will find more wands than you can carry on the first level, and others that yield practically nothing in useful items.

Also, the items and upgrades that you can pick up in the "rest areas" vary, of course, and since these are rare occasions, your equipment, and thus playing strategy, will tend to evolve quite differently from run to run. This, more than the procedurally generated floorplans, makes for much of the replay value. You often find yourself hoping to come across that same cool wand from your last run again, but may instead be given something just as powerful, but requiring entirely different strategies.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Noita will soon leave Early Access. The release date for v1.0 is October 15.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/noita/announcements/detail/2896334282682534407
Nolla Games said:
1.0 will be Noita’s biggest update yet, featuring tons of new stuff, including new enemies, perks, music, and over 20 spells, as well as a wide range of general game improvements and bug fixes, along with other surprises, and perhaps a new game mode. In addition, the introduction of Twitch integration will allow streamers to let their viewers vote on various in-game events for even more creative surprises!

1.0 will be released on October 15, but you can get Noita right now at -20%, or together with some of our previous games in the Nolla Games Bundle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/noita-review/

NOITA REVIEW
Noita offers destructive sorcery action in a fun, albeit messy roguelike package.

Deep in the murky crevices of Noita, within one of the rest areas between its infernal biomes, I absent-mindedly purchased a spell modifier I didn't fully understand. One of the core facets of this wonderful, maddening roguelike is the many ways you can alter your magic wands. With clever min-maxing and a little bit of exploration luck, you can become a true master of arcane prowess. But there is no safety net if that experimentation goes awry, or if you're not paying attention. And so, I strapped this particular modifier to a wand that shoots a comically large spiral razorblade. I pointed to a distant wall, and clicked. The razorblade shot out towards the bricks, immediately cranked a U-turn, and plowed into my wizard at full-speed, killing me instantly.

After doing my research, I believe the modifier I attached to that wand was called "Boomerang," and according to the greater Noita community, it's pretty much useless unless paired with various healing spells. That's the thing with Noita: Even the power-ups are conspiring to kill you.

There was a time, in the ice caves, where I found a wand that had an ability called "Unstable Crystal" on it. I pulled the trigger, and immediately exploded, provoking another game over. I've accidentally polymorphed myself too many times to count. I've self-immolated, I've detonated explosive barrels that I didn't see until it was too late, and I've almost drowned in a vat full of whiskey. But despite all of those mishaps, I think Noita is one of the best roguelikes of the year (a year with Spelunky 2 and Hades, no less). It isn't an easy game, nor is it fair, or balanced, or well-polished. But it can be absurd, brilliant fun, as long as you have the stomach for some turbid deaths along the way.

Every new Noita seed begins with your character—a robed, Dementor-like wizard—perched at the precipice of a yawning cavern system just below your feet. Like most roguelikes, the structure of the world is consistent every time out. If you decide to traverse downwards (which isn't the only direction you're limited to), the wizard will first encounter the mines, and then the coal pits, the frozen depths, a steel alien stronghold, a toxic jungle, and so on. The way Noita diverges from games like Hades or Spelunky is that there is no meta progression to speak of. You will not be incrementally juicing your health or attack power at the start of each run; there is no talent tree here to bail you out. Instead, every game of Noita is a self-contained universe up until the moment the warlock on screen meets their inevitable, untimely demise. Freedom, here, can only be achieved by getting good.

If you know anything about Noita, it's probably that every pixel in the game is fully simulated. That became a huge talking point while the game was in Early Access, and what that means in practice is that nothing in the environment is static, and objects and enemies tend to cascade like teetering dominoes stacked in front of one another. Shoot a lantern with your wand, and watch the flames lazily snake through the moss and wood below, as individually rendered beads of smoke compress against the cave walls. Toss a bomb at the bottom of an underground lake and the bedrock is obliterated, creating a new waterfall that tumbles through the shattered earth. Use freezing magic on any liquid substance and see the chunks of jagged ice float to the top.

One of Noita's most ingenious uses of this 2D physics simulation is how it equips your wizard with flasks that can capture any of the fluidic reagents in the game. Sometimes, they can be used as magic potions—downing a glass of ambrosia will render yourself briefly immortal. Other times though, you can use them to solve problems with your mortal, mundane brain. That seemingly impassable lava pit on the eastern end of the mines? Consider spraying your water bottle at it. The whole system gives Noita a simmy granularity that other games in the genre lack.

As I mentioned before, in between each biome the wizard will encounter a rest stop. It's called the Holy Mountain, and when you arrive you can heal to full, recharge all depleted spellcasting ammunition, and shop for a few new augmentations using the gold nuggets you picked off corpses. (You also select a free perk, which can have some game-breaking effects. For instance, one makes you immune to fire damage for the rest of the run.)

The Holy Mountain is where most of the character-building in Noita occurs. An action bar tiles the top of the screen, where players can store the various magical abilities and enhancements they find along their journey. In the Holy Mountain, they can drag those down into the slots available on their equipped wands, leading to combos that can be lethal and self-destructive in equal measure. Do you want a wand that produces a black hole, a vertical beam of piercing light, and a gauzy screen-filling rain cloud? Noita trusts you to experiment with these combinations without guaranteeing that any of them will be effective.

The closest comparison I can think of is Terraria. Both games encourage us to manipulate the forces of nature, finding synergy where we can, and they're each stocked with thick compendiums of spells, enemies, relationships, easter eggs, status effects, and locations. Much like Terraria, my time with Noita is often spent with the corresponding wiki in hand. This is a game that has benefited greatly from its extended time in Early Access on Steam. The community has already turned over many stones, and that can be handy when you're getting your feet wet. For instance, there are two alchemic combinations that produce some absurdly powerful solutions, but the ingredients are randomly assigned each run and are kept completely secret from the player... unless you go to a fanmade website and input your seed number. I, as a complete newbie, would've had no idea that existed if it weren't for the robust braintrust surrounding the game.

There are a million other examples like that in Noita. If you travel upwards towards the sky, you can scale through multiple levels of enemies before landing on the moon. There's a pyramid far to the west, and an absurdly deep body of water to the east. If you want more intrigue, there's a series of cryptic baubles hidden across the land. Collect them, bring them to the right place, and without spoiling anything, you will drastically alter the consistency of reality.

Most newcomers will scarcely scratch the surface of Noita's underworld. This is a punishing game, and you will die in some deeply stupid ways. In particular, I find that once I hit the third biome, the difficulty curve takes a sharp right turn into hell. A typical major combat encounter includes globules of poison spit, conflagrating fireballs, reckless explosions, and distant snipers with laser-sights trained on your wizard's hooded head. (Yes, there are snipers in this game. Noita plays it pretty fast and loose with its various inspirations.)

Roguelikes are traditionally uncompromising, so this is an odd complaint to make, but I wish I had a better sense of how much better I was becoming at Noita. It does the Spelunky thing, where the longer you spend in the cave the more you become accustomed to how the world interacts with each other. (Pro tip: Water dilutes poison.) But in the heat of the chaos, when I'm equipped with a rinky-dink wand and staring down dozens of different enemies coming for their vengeance, I sometimes don't know how I'm meant to succeed. Surely, that is a problem long eroded by the game's closest adherents; they've uncovered the best perks, best spells, and best routing strategies to make those hangups trivial. But entry-level players arriving for the 1.0 release will marvel at Noita's giddy anarchy, while also feeling a bit overwhelmed by the mess.

That said, there are few games that can create the sheer maelstrom of activity that Noita does. You're in a firefight with a shock trooper, your spell zings over his head and strikes the pile of gunpowder lurking in the shadows. Suddenly, both of you are trapped in a burning chasm, as the wooden vat containing a metric ton of oil begins to deteriorate in the flames. Noita desperately wants to show you what its little box of horrors is capable of, players just need to be patient enough to enjoy it.

THE VERDICT

NOITA
Noita combines classic roguelike progression with complex RPG-style spellbuilding and sets it in an incredibly dynamic environment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom