Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nosgoth - F2P multiplayer Legacy of Kain spinoff - CANCELLED

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They're going to fuck up the story (once again, see BO2 as an example) and let's be honest, the gameplay was always kind of forgettable and the games were carried by the (horribly convoluted) story and characters. Also Tony Jay is dead.
The gameplay was pretty good in SR1.
I didn't like it much - the controls were dreadful and the camera was killing me. I liked the first game much more, but then I am a sucker for the original Zelda top down action and puzzles.

Yeah, but that's not because making sequels to plot heavy games is inherently disastrous, just because they don't have anyone who could possibly do it without screwing up.
Maybe they could borrow Amy for a while, just to write them a script... but then they would have to recast the Elder God.

EDIT: I just had a horrible funny genius idea:
WV904yx.png

Zeriel

Arcane
I'd honestly rather see a reboot than a continuation. The convoluted mess the story was by Defiance was already annoying enough with Amy at the helm, I don't want to see how bad it would be with some new guy trying to piece together that mess. A good-for-what-it-is reboot ala DXHR would be palatable to me. It's not like Legacy of Kain was ever anything but a guilty pleasure.

MCA
"War for Nosgoth" sounds like an MMO name, or a strategy.

Raziel's eaten by the Reaver

Raziel became the Reaver. He's gone. For good, hopefully. I like a lot of things in SR series and I've liked at lot how they tied events in SR2 and Defiance to the first game but nonetheless, they ruined the gothic and esoteric themes of the first game for good. And the whole remnants thing with BO2 and Defiance turned it into irredeemable boring shit.

Wishful thinking, I would love a reboot that took the first game as canon and disregarded everything else. And if not, no more stupid whiny emofags like Raziel, please.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, Raziel was a hilarious chewing toy of fate - everything he touched turned to shit and all his actions were always part of someone else's plan. The only single act of agency in the whole series came at the end of Defiance and it doomed him to become the Reaver.

DraQ

Arcane
They're going to fuck up the story (once again, see BO2 as an example) and let's be honest, the gameplay was always kind of forgettable and the games were carried by the (horribly convoluted) story and characters. Also Tony Jay is dead.
The gameplay was pretty good in SR1.
I didn't like it much - the controls were dreadful and the camera was killing me.
Controls and camera were indeed wonky, but combat had some unique aspects, souls, combat and plane shifting were well integrated together, combat had a lot of speed and impact to it, also working differently depending on enemies (compare fighting humans and vampires in SR1 with fighting pretty much everything in Defiance - combat in defiance was all cool and flashy, but had little substance to it and felt cartoony - for example you could blow someone through a headstone with TK but it hardly did anything, meanwhile in SR1 humans could be extremely deadly and pretty fast, but one TK smack into something hard and they croaked, well, at least Defiance had pretty cool TK with Kain), plane shifting was tightly coupled with puzzles and there was a lot of re-exploration using newly acquired skills, which required a lot of observation and memorizing "odd" things, often without knowing what "odd" exactly meant.

Also SR1 camera had nothing on Defiance's camera, which pretty much exemplified all the reasons why people wanting to implement any sort of cinematic camera in computer games should be violently murdered on sight.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Controls and camera were indeed wonky, but combat had some unique aspects, souls, combat and plane shifting were well integrated together, combat had a lot of speed and impact to it, also working differently depending on enemies (compare fighting humans and vampires in SR1 with fighting pretty much everything in Defiance - combat in defiance was all cool and flashy, but had little substance to it and felt cartoony - for example you could blow someone through a headstone with TK but it hardly did anything, meanwhile in SR1 humans could be extremely deadly and pretty fast, but one TK smack into something hard and they croaked, well, at least Defiance had pretty cool TK with Kain), plane shifting was tightly coupled with puzzles and there was a lot of re-exploration using newly acquired skills, which required a lot of observation and memorizing "odd" things, often without knowing what "odd" exactly meant.

Also SR1 camera had nothing on Defiance's camera, which pretty much exemplified all the reasons why people wanting to implement any sort of cinematic camera in computer games should be violently murdered on sight.

Yeah, I'd say gameplay was by far the best in first two LOK games, Blood Omen was good because of the sheer amount of tools for dispatching enemies you had at your disposal (weapons, artifacts, spells) and because aside from the iron sword the difference between weapons and armors wasn't numerical but largely depended on the situation (though I did find the axes somewhat overpowered overall) and you could have some neat weapon, armor and spell combinations (like blood armor + axes, repel spell + chaos armor etc.) and goddamn did the Soul Reaver kick ass when you finally found it, it wasn't even artificially ineffective against bosses as it's usual in games but almost every one of them went down with few (fully charged SR) hits as well.

SR 1, what you said basically, it was great having opponents like vampires that you had to use specific tactics to beat rather than the usual button mashing and whittling down their hitpoints and having humans be the way they should be in the game, fragile as fuck compared to vampires and Raziel himself but having deadly attacks (like say flamethrower) to make up for it.

Defiance was fun but the style of play that works for over the top DMC doesn't necessarily work with LOK type of game, juggling Sarafan warriors sort of feels out of place (while it was perfectly fine in DMC), it was still entertaining to play Kain and Raziel as some Jedi like warriors with TK powers and such (especially with Kain due to having TK powers developed more from the start) but overall I feel they just played far too similarly (Kain for example should have had far more powers compared to Raziel than merely more advanced TK) and human enemies had way too much HP, even if that's somewhat understandable with Kain due to Blood Reaver not being some ultimate weapon of destruction which it becomes with Raziel's in it (at that point it's merely an extremely well crafted ancient sword which drains blood from it's victims though they should still go down faster due to how strong Kain presumably is as an ancient badass vampire) but Raziel's Soul Reaver in spectral form should have been way more powerful (especially given how powerful it could be in SR2).

DraQ

Arcane
human enemies had way too much HP
My main complaint other than camera.
Combat lacked impact, it felt like trying to whack Willy E. Coyote into submission with a foam cluebat.
You shouldn't be able to throw someone into the air with your sword, chop him a few hundred times while holding him up telekinetically, slam him into the ground to bounce him back (WTF? made of rubber?), then repeat the thousand slashes. The enemy not only should no longer be in one piece quarter of way through - he should no longer be solid at this point.

Similarly it's nice that you can TK fragile, unarmoured sorceress through two tombstones shattering them. It's not so nice that she gets up after that instead of lying about in a huge blot of of splattered mess.

GreyViper

Prophet
Oh man when SE delivers you know there will be face palming. First with Deus Ex Fail. Now with, wait for it.................Nosgoth a multiplayer game in the Legacy of Kain universe. So yeah lets forget about this one and move on.
Details below.
"We're aware that the community has been actively discussing rumours about a game currently in development called Nosgoth," said a Square Enix representative to Eurogamer, "after it was referenced in AMD's Crossfire Application Profile and the Steam database last week."
"While we can confirm that this game exists, is in active development and is set in the same universe as the Legacy of Kain games, it's not a traditional or even single-player LoK experience."
"Given the AMD and Steam leaks, it feels weird to have a bunch of info out there and we don't want the community to get the wrong idea, especially as the game won't be at this year's E3."
Square Enix confirmed that Nosgoth is not being developed by long-time series developer Crystal Dynamics, who most recently worked on this year's Tomb Raider reboot. Nosgoth is also a "separate branch" to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver franchises.
"We can also tell you that Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics, nor are they working on a Legacy of Kain game right now and while our game is set in the world of Nosgoth, it's very much on a separate branch to both the Soul Reaver and Blood Omen series."
"Sorry to be so cagey," continued the Square Enix representative. "There will be an official announcement in due course when we'll reveal Nosgoth properly, so we can't go into tons of detail just at the moment. Everyone at Square Enix is really excited by the game and we're all looking forward to lifting the veil of secrecy in the future.”
:fight:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
First Deus Ex on tablets and now this? I'm done with this world. Done. Legacy of Kain and multiplayer? MULTIPLAYER? Just just just...

tYFgMP3.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane
Good job Square Enix, with this trend of making things that nobody want you are going far... to the same place THQ went.

DraQ

Arcane

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ironically, that'd require the powers of the Elder God.
Nah, the Elder God will have an AoE attack that damage an area with 40 DPS and an ability to stun enemy heroes and a ranged attack perfect for last hit on mobs, maybe he will be able to ressurect when he reach level 6.

evdk

Patron
Nah, the Elder God will have an AoE attack that damage an area with 40 DPS and an ability to stun enemy heroes and a ranged attack perfect for last hit on mobs, maybe he will be able to ressurect when he reach level 6.
Voice provided by Mark Meer.

Tytus

Arcane
I hope it will be a MMO. And such a shitty MMO that it will be a massive failure, that one will ever want to make another Legacy of Kain again, thus preventing it from being raped in the future.

deuxhero

Arcane
I just learned Blood Omen was released in Japan as "Kain the Vampire" while Soul Reaver retained it's original name (I can't find anything about the Japanese releases beyond that).

That tidbit will doubtlessly interest me more than the whole of whatever this piece of crap winds up being.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom