Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nostalgic Video Game Magazines

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Check this shit out, some of these advertisements were pretty edgy [found in Gamepro mags]:

zNfXlor.jpg

Rwh6WvD.jpg

pEKfjMP.jpg

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Get to see Mortal Kombat Trilogy being worked on, a Robert DeNiro videogame and an oldschool anti-drug commercial:

Here's a hilarious videogame gameshow with the host fucking with the kids:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
9e110710-fa05-012d-a58a-0050569439b1.jpg

Best Dutch game magazine there was. Died out simply because they kept being a bunch of nerd hobbyists in a segment that turned into dorito games 'journalism.' So they stopped getting review copies and weren't invited to the usual game gatherings, simply because they called shit shit. And with that the advertising went to shit magazines like Power Unlimited. A mag that's owned and run by a company that also advertises itself as being able to make the launch of your videogame that much smoother and better and runs launch parties and the like. You can imagine the quality of that rag.

And I found the online archive of pretty much every MSX Computer Magazine ever made. A hobbyzine for the MSX computer that looked like it was made at someone's, well, MSX. Loved that one.

http://www.msxcomputermagazine.nl/

msx-magazine.png

Had volumes of both of those magazines. Threw them away when moving about a decade ago. Fucking idiot that I was.

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I remember it being very hard to get. Too bad most of these old gems never were scanned.

And if you want a laugh about the state of Dutch games journalism go and dig a little into what Gamekings and Power Unlimited's overarching BV is into.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
ah man at home i have all my old numbers of "the games machine", should take a pic of those and upload it...

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I got rid of about 6 or 7 years of Power Unlimited recently, because my parents moved to a smaller home. When I was like 11 or so, I got the subscription mainly for the funny captions below the screenshots, and I stuck with it until around 2007, when I realised that I never read it any more because I never bought any new games, and that they had taken up the habit of giving out "OMG PERFECT 100!!!!" (or >95/100) just about every other month. Besides, moving out and starting college, I had neither the interest nor the resources for all the 7th-generation consoles and all the Mass Effects and motion-controlled games out there, so there was little point in reading about them.

Trash is probably right about this magazine, although I didn't know that bit about the ownership. But when I read it, they always had these extensive reports about the E3 and about all the "exclusive" preview trips that they got, which always consisted of writing about all the parties for about half of the report, and then the other half would be gushing about preview versions showing features that were never seen again. And they also went on to organise award shows and the like for the industry, so it's no surprise.

So not much nostalgia for gaming magazines here, but there are some great pictures in this thread.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I know I am old when console games mags are presented like some museum articles. When I was a kid, Electronic Games was still teh shit. Had to send my big sister to U.S. to get them for me. Good times.

Coriolanus

Learned
Behold! I used to read and re-read these mags so much I had to throw them away after a while - the paper quality was trash. The games themselves got pretty fair rankings, actually. Some mags - especially "game.exe" - had something I could in retrospect call 'quality game journalism'. Stopped reading them in 2002 or so.

"Game World Navigator", pretty good and thick with a lot of long-winded articles, fiction and cool extra stuff.

305374_original.jpg

"Game Mania", didn't like it much but it had a lot of content, I think.

0644259.jpg

"Game World", the first to be hit be the forces of decline. The articles were too short and shallow.

039.jpg

"game.exe", the best of the bunch (it died a decade or so ago, I think).

Game.EXE_02_1997_1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom