Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe but I cannot vote for TOW.

And there is nothing else.
Anthem is the designated kingcomrade/protest vote.

Protest against whom?
Was that poll something "official" for rpgcodex?
Don't you think you are taking this shit too serious?

I'm not a communist because I voted for DE in a retarded poll.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:shredder:
Soooo what do you do when someone tells you stop bothering him with your butthurt bitch melodrama about a fucking game?

Naturally you begin to stalk them and send them shizo pms. Now i begin to understand Fairfax and the whole fluent drama.

DZw9nW2.png

So he actually went bananas?
Yeah,and now he is bitching to his lover, aweigh ,in the shoutbox how we(me and cunta) are evil sjw scum etc etc. And aweigh is suing him by shitting on us and such lol. Fuck,and all i wanted was to not get pulled in their petty crusade against Disco. It is really a shame since once i called aweigh a mate and nice chad with the same views as me. Now he has turned in to a full on lunatic calling everyone that likes a game he doesn't a shills and communists and sjws etc etc. This whole ordeal really leaves me sour. Last night i even tried to have rational conversation in the chat with them,but they just kept on spamming mental shit. Just go and look in the chat about how they are circle jerking each other like women.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Protest against whom?
Was that poll something "official" for rpgcodex?
Don't you think you are taking this shit too serious?

This terrible year. No, that comes later. Not at all.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
all I'll say is there's a reason almost 100 people have fantadomat on ignore. He's the kind of person who feeds on attention and is always acting out in order to get it; just use the ignore function and move on.

Swigen

Arbiter
Y’all need to leave Fantadomat alone! If y’all don’t, I’ll never support y’all in any thread you post in, no matter how on point said post is!

Picture this...

Swigen said:
People being mean to Fantadomat said:
Gawddamn! That Midsommar is one hell of a good movie! I almost threw up when they smashed that guys head with the mallet! More liek that plz!

Disagree.

Shadenuat

Arcane
all I'll say is there's a reason almost 100 people have fantadomat on ignore. He's the kind of person who feeds on attention and is always acting out in order to get it; just use the ignore function and move on.
yes, use ignore function for every person who can autustically argue against you for pages. it makes for a good safe space, doesn't it?

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Disco's concept is completely INSUFFERABLE! Le epic alcoholism, 24 attributes that you talk to within yourself, some weird (((modern))) artstyle. The ultimate hipster game - Very nice to see this thread! Now I am tempted to play it just so I can trashtalk it. Pretty much willing to bet it's NOT funny, didn't laugh, and that the psychology and politics are the absolute apex of soyboy humanitiestard onanism!

Edit: it's the manchild version of this kids' movie
iu

Listen up, you Disco doubting infidels, I just listened to this youtube podcast in the gym, and he does a great job explaining why Disco Disco is so fucking awesome, if Bataille's review and most of well respected codexers' seal of approval ain't enough for your needs:

Silly Germans

Jenkem: "If you like Disco Elysium, you're a filthy Marxist!"

But what if I don't like Disco Elysium and still think Marx had good ideas?
(φ ⇒ Ѱ) ⊭ (φ ⇔ Ѱ)

φ K Ѱ ?
K = the electrostatic constant?

I'm talking in second-order propositional logic, not physics.

The difference between implication and equivalence has confused many lesser minds ...
Hmm, not sure if that's supposed to be a criticism. I admit my metalogic is slightly rusty, so correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both of these true? (of course I'm using ⇒ and ⇔ as ordinary material conditional and biconditional, respectively, ⊬ as 'is not derivable from', and ⊭ as 'is not a semantic consequence of')
(i) (φ ⇒ Ѱ) ⊬ (φ ⇔ Ѱ)
(ii) (φ ⇒ Ѱ) ⊭ (φ ⇔ Ѱ)

(i) is true since (φ ⇔ Ѱ) isn't derivable from (φ ⇒ Ѱ), and (ii) is true since (φ ⇔ Ѱ) isn't a semantic consequence of (φ ⇒ Ѱ)

(edit: of course, this is trivial if derivability and semantic consequence are equivalent)

You are correct, i was simply quoting the last post with the equations.

Now a truth table for everybody,

"If you like Disco Elysium, you're a filthy Marxist!"

Lets check the implication, Like Disco Elysium ⇒ Filthy Marxist !

Like Disco Eliysium | Filthy Marxist | Like Disco Elysium ⇒ Filthy Marxist
True | True | True
False | True | True
False | False | True
True | False | False

Jackpot

Learned
Disco Elysium didn't feel like it was too preachy about communism.
In fact, it was the first game in awhile that at least attempted to show ideologies as people really believe them, I feel.

That being said, in retrospect, I can certainly see the ideological slant the game has.
The writing seemed to pay more respect to communism/other shit they might agree with than the rest of the ideologies, despite definitely making fun of all of them.

It might not deserve all of the praise its gotten, but if nothing else playing The Outer Worlds after it made it obvious how fucking awful the writing is for that.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Listen up, you Disco doubting infidels, I just listened to this youtube podcast in the gym, and he does a great job explaining why Disco Disco is so fucking awesome, if Bataille's review and most of well respected codexers' seal of approval ain't enough for your needs:
OMG you can like BREAK YOUR NECK and DIE from NODDING TOO MUCH in one dialogue tree?!?!! wow so quirky and funny! :hahano:

I have here in my hand a list of 134 — a list of names that were made known to the RPG Codex as being members of the Communist Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping policy in the RPG Community.

simmschn Silva Allanon Prime Junta Q JarlFrank felipepepe Zero Credibility Daedalos axedice xantrius Jinn v1rus Wintermute santino27 Jim Cojones Haba Riddler Tigranes toro Mortmal Berekän undecaf Sergiu64 Saark taviow Tacgnol Cosmo CrunchyHemorrhoids Mojobeard J_C moraes belated Carrion Comte Shadenuat Drowed Tommy Wiseau The Great Deceiver Saduj Rake skaraher Hellion SophosTheWise jfrisby Ivan Ondoval StaticSpine Antigoon Mychkine Gangrelrumbler Urbanolo Twiglard rohand hemtae BlackGoat Thonius Senntinel Luka-boy GloomFrost darthaegis ArtB Shin Doktor Best PirateScum Urthor AdvancedHero KK1001 gestalt11 Atchodas Jimmious Gaius maximus Belegarsson Lexxx20 drgames GewuerzKahn and 8 others Bl@de HoboForEternity Projas NJClaw MpuMngwana whocares TT1 Quillon Clink Van-d-all TwoEdge bataille biggestboss Pyreen Madawc Deadass fantadomat Danikas jerfdr Catacombs Nortar Tenebris frajaq Elex Atleticano Lord_Potato AdolfSatan lobsterfrogman Alpan Risewild Molina whydoibother sorinmask Dodo1610 PrK ScrotumBroth Curratum Strange Fellow ItsChon Multi-headed Cow RegionalHobo Magnat Readher ZVERMIX Testicules Terenty Swigen S.torch Daidre barghwata nyjsu Theophrastus Will Zurmacht Zariusz FEDSMOKER Deadyawn Harthwain

Pearass

Educated
In terms of whether or not DE is an RPG, there will never be an answer. Regardless, the devs marketed it as such, so that's probably how people are going to look at it in the broader gaming spectrum. Genre categories like 'RPG' are too broad to have a clear meaning. Or at least that's how I see it.

In terms of political opinion, one thing I will say is that the authors seem to suggest that every ideology is inherently flawed because they are made up from humans. And of course, as is well established, humans are incredibly flawed animals. The game seems to take the piss out of everything Harry can believe in. Every person who has radical beliefs in ANYTHING (such as the racist lorry driver, or the fascist guy, or the communist deserter, or the race-supremacist, or the ultra-centrist moralist) are played out to be fools, more dedicated to the idea of having their ideology rather than their ideology itself.

The centrists are really just husks that don't take a stand on anything and hence have no values. The fascists are basically blaming their problems on whoever for essentially no good reason. The communists are generally shown to be somewhat naive, and bitter (all of these are vast oversimplifications, of course). Harry can adopt some of these opinions (centrist, communist, fascist, or some type of libertarian). Every time you do, you essentially become a caricature of those beliefs. The joke is the lack of nuance. The butt of the joke are the extremists - at least, that's my interpretation.

So, all this to say, the game has a lot of nuance to it. The developers are most certainly left - no question about it. So yes, leftist literature definitely informed a lot of the game. But remember, it criticizes itself as well.

Another interesting theme of this game seems to be 'balance'. Not pure centrism, as moralists are clearly just corporate husks masquerading as humanists, but the idea of defining yourself beyond your ideology. The human experience is so much more than politics, after all. I love how Disco Elysium seems to celebrate this, by cheekily poking fun at HBD's (and by extension, the player's) desire for a quick and easy ideology to subscribe to, as if there isn't any nuance to life. It's such a breath of fresh air in landscapes dominated by ideologues.

I found that one of the best things about Disco Elysium is how you can gain a lot from it even without necessarily agreeing with the specific political opinions of the creators. In some ways, it goes beyond that. Through their in-depth understanding of Marxism and Communism, they can criticize it through a lense that only someone who truly understands the principles can. I'm not a communist by any means, but I still deeply appreciated its message. Even if you heavily disagree with it, exposing yourself to other opinions is a healthy way to gain perspective on your own views.

This thread has been an interesting read, so thanks for starting it Jenkem!

I love you all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom