Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NVIDIA GeForce Now streaming service drama - publishers pulling out

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
There's nothing illegal about playing games on a computer you don't own (whether rented or free use at a friend's house or a library or whatever) and there's nothing illegal about streaming a video of the game you own from another location.

You're not incorrect, in fact the idea of Steam depends on this legality, but the definition of "a computer you don't own" is nevertheless stretched when one applies it to "many thousands of computers owned by NVIDIA". It is one thing to replicate one's Steam Library on another computer or two, or even a VPS, quite another to do so across any or all of thousands of computers owned by another company, in this case NVIDIA, rented out at subsidized prices. It's an unprecedented situation and probably a gray area.

I don't think this is a question of legality anyway. It's clear that this is a different ball game, and the publishers are merely seeking to capture some of the value unlocked by the GFN proposition, pulling out until they can reach an agreement.

Last edited:
Video game publishers are total cunts. Reminds me of the old music industry that ate itself. People were fed up to the bollocks of paying $$ to $$$ for mediocre music and music publishers couldn't adapt. May the game industry go the same way.

abija

Prophet
Their only legal foot is some bullshit in EULA. It's just pure strongarming.
And please do point out the legal difference between playing a game on GeforceNow or using ANY software you bought on a VPS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And please do point out the legal difference between playing a game on GeforceNow or using ANY software you bought on a VPS.

It's another party entirely running the game on THEIR computer, you fucking idiot.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

It's another party entirely running the game on THEIR computer, you fucking idiot.

It's easy to call people fucking idiots, but when you think about it he's got a point. If you go round to your friends house, (hypothetically speaking, of course this is the Codex and none of you have any friends), and you log into steam using your ID, you can play any of the games you've legally bought on his PC. You've paid for a licence for the game, surely you're not supporting the idea of only being legally able to install it on one machine? Steam link already lets you stream any of your games from your own PC to a third party android device so where's the beef? I guess the beef is that now NVidia are charging for it and publishers are predictably wanting a slice of the pie.

There's no way NVidia would try and strongarm publishers over this, they know they need to cooperate and not antagonise them if they're going to make a fist of it, but I imagine they're going to have to rethink their financials. Hope no-one got too attached to the thought of playing it free in one-hour bursts.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's easy to call people fucking idiots, but when you think about it he's got a point. If you go round to your friends house, (hypothetically speaking, of course this is the Codex and none of you have any friends), and you log into steam using your ID, you can play any of the games you've legally bought on his PC. You've paid for a licence for the game, surely you're not supporting the idea of only being legally able to install it on one machine? Steam link already lets you stream any of your games from your own PC to a third party android device so where's the beef? I guess the beef is that now NVidia are charging for it and publishers are predictably wanting a slice of the pie.

"If it wasn't a whole separate commercial enterprise he'd be right" isn't the stunning defense of his thought process you think it is.

As he said, what's the difference between that and a VPS? A VPS is THEIR computer... that you rent time on. Thousands of businesses have copies of copyrighted software running on instances like these. All Nvidia is doing is streamlining the process and providing hardware that is gaming-focused.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
And it's not like the publishers are losing out over this. You still need to buy the game and it opens up purchase possibilities from people who haven't got a good enough PC to play the latest games. Plus it prevents piracy. I'd have thought publishers would be lining up to grow a service like this because for them, I don't see a downside. Once they've managed to screw NVidia/ Google for as much as they think they can, they'll be back. The only question is will the players still be there or will they have lost faith because of this publisher bullshit?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And it's not like the publishers are losing out over this. You still need to buy the game and it opens up purchase possibilities from people who haven't got a good enough PC to play the latest games. Plus it prevents piracy. I'd have thought publishers would be lining up to grow a service like this because for them, I don't see a downside. Once they've managed to screw NVidia/ Google for as much as they think they can, they'll be back. The only question is will the players still be there or will they have lost faith because of this publisher bullshit?

Again, "publishers should support this new and commercially attractive idea" is a fine point to make. The idiot part is acting like they don't have to, the idea that because you own a license to play the game on Steam nVidia have the right to run it on their PC and make money streaming it to you without the publisher's consent. It's an entirely different thing, and it's baffling you guys don't see this.

Again, "publishers should support this new and commercially attractive idea" is a fine point to make. The idiot part is acting like they don't have to, the idea that because you own a license to play the game on Steam nVidia have the right to run it on their PC and make money streaming it to you without the publisher's consent. It's an entirely different thing, and it's baffling you guys don't see this.

So, is it also illegal when a business rents a server to run Adobe Premier on (a much more expensive piece of software)? Because its literally the same thing.

Dexter

Arcane
As he said, what's the difference between that and a VPS? A VPS is THEIR computer... that you rent time on. Thousands of businesses have copies of copyrighted software running on instances like these. All Nvidia is doing is streamlining the process and providing hardware that is gaming-focused.
The difference is that in the one case you rent a server for a unspecific use-case and purpose and you can upload something to it that you presumably own a license to and do whatever you want there with it for private use. The VPS provider doesn't have the legal liability for what you do with their servers though. If you decide that you can use it to Stream the newest movies out to people you'll end up in jail for a long time, whether you bought the DVD or not.

Dear god, why does this need to be explained to you people? Are we in Kindergarten?

"I CaN UpLoAd ThE nEwEsT sTaR wArS mOvIe To My PrIvAtE sErVeR aNd StReAm It FrOm ThErE, nEtFlIx DoEs ThE sAmE aNd I pAy A mOnThLy FeE, wHy CaN't ThEy Do ThE sAmE aNd NoT pAy ThE iP rIgHtS hOlDeRs AnYtHiNg, ItZ tHe SaMe!?!"

The difference is that in the one case you rent a server for a unspecific use-case and purpose and you can upload something to it that you presumably own a license to and do whatever you want there with it for private use. The VPS provider doesn't have the legal liability for what you do with their servers though. If you decide that you can use it to Stream the newest movies out to people you'll end up in jail for a long time, whether you bought the DVD or not.

Yes, exactly. YOU end up in jail if you start pirating shit. NVIDIA or other hosting providers doesn't care and the law doesn't care about them. If you upload your legally-obtained games or movies to a server and use them for personal use the same as normal then its just as legal.

Cromwell

Arcane
Dear god, why does this need to be explained to you people? Are we in Kindergarten?

are you retarded? Nobody can use my games, I use them. I can use them on any device that runs them and steam. So your argument is absoluetly dumb, nobody but me can use my games and the only difference to playing them on my normal pc is playing them on another machine. Dont get me wrong I dont care if Nvidia gives in or not but the amount of retardness in here is baffling. A publisher has no say where I choose to play my game from as long as I am the only one that does it and nobody else can do it, but here you mongoloids are and in all seriousness argue that its illegal to stream my own game from a server I rent (thats what I pay nvidia for) that runs steam.

Dexter

Arcane
Yes, exactly. YOU end up in jail if you start pirating shit. NVIDIA or other hosting providers doesn't care and the law doesn't care about them. If you upload your legally-obtained games or movies to a server and use them for personal use the same as normal then its just as legal.
"I can install and privately play a game on my rented server, which is not a Streaming service and am legally liable if I do something wrong on it."
"This means NVIDIA, a for-profit company can start a commercial service mass-streaming games from their servers despite not owning the rights to any of them, having no legal license to do so and having no agreements with their publishers!"

"I can upload and privately watch a movie on my rented server, which is not a Streaming service and am legally liable if I do something wrong on it."
"This means Netflix, a for-profit company can start a commercial service mass-streaming movies from their server farms despite not owning the rights to any if them, having no legal license to do so and having no agreements with their distributors!"

Am I talking to a human being or is this a Turkey pretending to be human? You would be laughed out of any court with the most basic understanding of copyright law on planet earth with your "logic".

Last edited:
"I can install and play a game on my rented private server, which is not a Streaming service and am legally liable if I do something wrong on it."
"This means NVIDIA, a for-profit company can start a commercial service mass-streaming games from their servers despite owning no legal license to any of them and having no agreements with their publishers!"

NVIDIA is renting you the server and allowing you a streamlined way to install Steam games, dumbfuck. If you rent something it is yours for that quantum of time, not NVIDIA's. Otherwise if you rented a car and got in a crash the rental agency would be liable. You think NVIDIA's lawyers didn't OK what they are doing?

"I can upload and watch a movie on my rented private server, which is not a Streaming service and am legally liable if I do something wrong on it."
"This means Netflix, a for-profit company can start a commercial service mass-streaming movies from their servers despite owning no legal license to do so and having no agreements with their distributors!"

Yes, you can literally do this with any online storage. Go put your movies on Google Drive or Onedrive or whatever. Its entirely legal for personal usage. NVIDIA is allowing you to play YOUR GAMES, not pirating games for you.

Dexter

Arcane
Ok, you're beyond hope. I implore you to start a service Streaming Games/Movies/TV Series and Music to people that previously acquired them in any other way without any understanding or agreement with their respective rights holders, since you obviously found a gap in the market ONLY YOU CAN FILL and can make LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY with!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ok, you're beyond hope. I implore you to start a service Streaming Games/Movies/TV Series and Music to people that previously acquired them in any other way without any understanding or agreement with their respective rights holders, since you obviously found a gap in the market ONLY YOU CAN FILL and can make LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY with!

Isn't that what NVidia is doing, you braindead fucktard?

But oh right, business and law-man extraordinaire Dexter is as it again to tell us how NVidia has no clue what they're doing and their whole project is illegal.

Dexter

Arcane

Isn't that what NVidia is doing, you braindead fucktard?

But oh right, business and law-man extraordinaire Dexter is as it again to tell us how NVidia has no clue what they're doing and their whole project is illegal.
I just posted two articles on the previous page of major publishers retracting their permission to NVIDIA to Stream their games as they went commercial, not to mention that they didn't have a comprehensive selection of all publishers beforehand.

Go and stand in front of your Microwave some more with the door open, it's obviously doing you some good.

Cloud storage e.g. services that offer to rent you Online storage and allow you to privately upload anything you like for which you take full legal responsibility, not Streaming services.
tenor.gif

Do you have any recommendation from which I can stream the newest Star Wars and Marvel movies right nows? I totally own the Blu-Rays!

Cromwell

Arcane
k, you're beyond hope. I implore you to start a service Streaming Games/Movies/TV Series and Music to people that previously acquired them

Thats not the case you dumbfuck. Nvidia rents me the server, this server has steam on it, I connect to this steam version with my credentials and install on this server my game and then play it. Lets say I give acess to my pc to a friend remotely, he then starts my steam connects with his credentials installs one of his games and plays it. Thats what Nvidia does and you pay for the service of hopefully better hardware than your own and to stream to any hardware that can run geforce now.

I just posted two articles on the previous page of major publishers retracting their permission to NVIDIA to Stream their games as they went commercial,

permissions are irrelevant, the law is relevant. The Point would be Nvidia could tell them to go and fuck themselves than they would have to sue. Same goes for steam and steamlink, if a publisher says "I dont want people to use steamlink" its perfectly viable to tell him he can fuck off. He an then try to fight steam in court.

Do you have any recommendation from which I can stream the newest Star Wars and Marvel movies? I totally own the Blu-Rays!

are you really that daft? You dont play games on geforce now you own on another medium, geforce now gives you acess to games you already own in steam by giving you access to your own steam library? You can jump up and down all you want but you cant play games you dont own because they wont be in your steam library.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hey, so like if you dudes are right why is Nvidia pulling all these games because the publishers told them to? Shouldn't they be like "fuck you, stop trying to ruin our business model" or something? It's almost like they won't do it without the publishers being on board, implying some kind of... I dunno, legal and contractual requirement.

Hey, so like if you dudes are right why is Nvidia pulling all these games because the publishers told them to? Shouldn't they be like "fuck you, stop trying to ruin our business model" or something? It's almost like they won't do it without the publishers being on board, implying some kind of... I dunno, legal and contractual requirement.
If it were illegal they would already have been sued. I already detailed previously why Nvidia doesn't want to take them to court.

abija

Prophet
So after some idiots and retards thrown, still no actual difference pointed out between running games on GFN or using software on VPS. (other than dexter angrily dumping shit around and trying to move the discussion over streaming media analogies)

Dexter

Arcane
I'm safe in what I'm saying since I know what I'm talking about. Other examples would for instance be the public display of copyrighted works (as opposed to private) which is also heavily regulated including for museums, universities, clubs etc. Go ahead and start showing movies or games in front of a mass audience of random people without an agreement or license to do so and see what happens. Or you opening a commercial business like a gaming cafe and just using your Steam account without having a commercial license or separate licensing agreement with the publisher/developer to do so, see how fast the police gives you a visit. Even just uploading full gameplay videos to services like YouTube is Copyright infringement even though it could be argued that they're transformative works, but that's usually not the case with blind copying without heavy editing and publishers/developers are within their rights to take down or sue over such videos.

Google knows what it's doing, which is why it doesn't take your existing library of games on any platform but offers you to buy some games at full price on their service in partnership with publishers, which they then Stream to you. Microsoft knows what it's doing with their "xCloud" service, which is why it doesn't take your entire Xbox library, but you have a limited choice of about ~50 games on it, many of those first party and a lot of the others specific titles (usually older) in partnerships with other publishers/developers but say no RockStar or Ubisoft AAA games so far:
Microsoft-Project-xCloud-Preview-1.jpg
Microsoft-Project-xCloud-Preview.jpg
Nvidia seems to know what it's doing, which is why it doesn't offer a comprehensive catalogue of games on its service and as was noted before didn't offer Capcom, Konami, Rockstar, Square Enix etc. titles and have now had to remove Activision Blizzard and Bethesda titles from their service after their partnership ended: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ames-misunderstanding-for-activision-faux-pas
Activision Blizzard has been a fantastic partner during the GeForce Now beta, which we took to include the free trial period for our founders membership,” Nvidia said in a statement. “Recognizing the misunderstanding, we removed their games from our service, with hope we can work with them to re-enable these, and more, in the future.”
https://gameworldobserver.com/2020/02/12/activision-blizzard-removes-games-geforce-now/
So that’s another publisher not available on the service in addition to Capcom, EA, Konami, Remedy, Rockstar, and Square Enix, many of whom, including Activision Blizzard itself, participated in beta. No Grand Theft Auto V. No Monster Hunter World. No Red Dead Redemption 2.
42f4798f-3258-4cd9-b24f-0be83270d46c.jpg

I beg any of you so sure of yourselves to just go out and test your Mental Retardation/Hypothesis commercially in the real world. Set up a Streaming service for all sorts of media and when the Cease & Desist letters come flying in ignore them, or better yet go ahead and start suing the copyright owners just like you said when this whole thing started, since it's obviously your god-given right to commercially Stream copyrighted material of other companies and individuals from your server cluster to customers without any commercial license or partnership via revenue sharing to do so, see how that ends for you. If you're right there's literally FrEe MoNeY for you on the table. :lol:
Bet it's the phone market... Was wondering why Rockstar or Capcom games aren't there. Should fight them in court because they are just renting hardware but probably Nvidia doesn't have deep enough pockets for that.
Too bad nvidia doesn't have the balls to sue. Their service is hardware renting, software companies shouldn't have any control over it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom