Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2 armor check penalty fuck up.

Black

Arcane
Alright poefags, you don't want me here and I don't want to here either but I need your help with this epic-level problem NWN 2 gave me.
Backstory: I wanted to make a rogue-character for Mysteries of Westgate (pretty good expansion), export to SoZ and after that to MotB. In MoW everything was fine, the problems started with SoZ though I soldiered through hoping it's a SoZ fuck up and everything will return to normal. It didn't.
Long story short-
DZp61P5.jpg

The penalty gets added every time I swap an item and it doesn't get removed. The character isn't even wearing any single item that gives armor check penalty! To make it somewhat manageable I need to strip completely nekkid, save game, load and then equip items again which still give acp (even rings and amulets). Obviously having -40 on many checks is a pain for a rogue character.
So my question is- what the hell and how do I fix this?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I've had that one before. It has to do with some excess files in temp directory. What you need to do is look on your C: drive for a folder called "Windows" in that folder is another folder called "System32". Right click and delete that folder and empty your trash can. After that restart your system and everything should be OK.

If that doesn't work it sounds like you are boned.

Black

Arcane
I've had that one before. It has to do with some excess files in temp directory. What you need to do is look on your C: drive for a folder called "Windows" in that folder is another folder called "System32". Right click and delete that folder and empty your trash can. After that restart your system and everything should be OK.

If that doesn't work it sounds like you are boned.
Already tried that one.

You dirty spic.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
You dirty spic.
Do you have stuff in the override like Kaedrins or similar? I had something like that happen to me once with Kaedrin's , except in my case it was about arcane spell failure. Suddenly my character (bard) had ASF he couldn't get rid of in medium armor despite having the battle caster feat. I never fixed it, instead I just used a light armor, which worked. Supposedly this can happen when you quicksave during combat and then load that save. Perhaps you have something like that.
If you don't have something in the override fucking it up you should definitely harass Anthony Davis about it or other Obsidian devs on the Codex. It's their fault after all, so it's OK if they have to suffer for it now.

edit:
https://forum.bioware.com/topic/463216-mithral-chain-shirt-armor-check-penalty-bug/
It seems that the problem is indeed related to Kaedrin's. After some more tests, I found that the phenomenon happens only to certain PCs and not the others. Maybe some of Kaedrin's class or feat is causing this problem. Possibly, Dragonslayer prestige class.

Clear your override unless you really need Kaedrins classes for your char.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, I do. Shucks. Guess I'll somehow manage.
Supposedly this can happen when you quicksave during combat and then load that save. Perhaps you have something like that.
Hmm, maybe, I had to cheese the arena fight in MoW against the undead knight with quicksave/load because it sure ain't easy with a rogue.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I still think my solution was the best solution.

Also couldn't you just recreate your character in an editor and start MotB over? Not sure how far along you are I guess.

Black

Arcane
No idea. All I did differently was set the game mode from strategic to exploration and back to strategic again.
Truly these are Mysteries of Obsidian.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You just don't want to admit you took my advice and deleted your System32 folder.

Black

Arcane
I did that before I made the thread!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom