Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN OC plot was cut, possibly due to publisher meddling

octavius

Arcane
Patron
aribeth_de_tylmarande_3-1280.jpg

Possibly the most annoying NPC in the history of RPG's.

Who wrote her?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I thought Bioware admitted their focus during development was on the toolset, DM client and multi-player aspects of the game. The campaign was basically thrown together to show off what the toolset could do.

I was under that impression when I bought the game. Thought the OC was shit. Didn't care. Had a blast playing classic D&D module conversions with friends online.

The game was ok, but the user made community was OUTSTANDING. The initial release of NWN was buggy, and could be boring, but they did a hell of an implementation of 3rd edition rules. if you knew those rules, the game was piss easy, but if you didn't know them, it could be hard. The game was never a BG killer, but why do people keep talking about disappointment?

If anyone was there for a demonstration of NWN Toolset and the game before it was released, their focus was on the tool set as a computerized "DM" that would allow someone to control the dungeon while the players are in it, or set up modules early and let players explore. I played the OC, but didn't get my undies in a bunch as much as the folks here, but I played the OC last, as it were, after many patches.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
OC was only 'easy' if you toke advantage of some wussy stuff that BIO should have never put in the game. Real HARDCORE players don't take the cheap way out and actually play it 'legit'.

That means avoiding resting in dungeons if at all possible, no stone of recall useage during a mission (ie. don't spam it in the middle of an otherwise tough fight - one idiot claimed Kauth was 'easy',... bu then mentioned he would spam SOC lol), no keeping the 3 diferent version of the garbage over powered damge resistant belts, and a few other.

Play the OC like a real DnD game (also do this for other DnD games which never get it right) and the legit challenge occurs.

Tigranes

Arcane
You're right, avoid those things and on higher difficulties NWN OC can be challenging.

Pity it was still shit when challenging.

Kahlis

Cipher
So the last publisher who was even remotely hands-off with Bioware's games was Black Isle/Interplay? No surprise there.

The game was ok, but the user made community was OUTSTANDING. The initial release of NWN was buggy, and could be boring, but they did a hell of an implementation of 3rd edition rules. if you knew those rules, the game was piss easy, but if you didn't know them, it could be hard. The game was never a BG killer, but why do people keep talking about disappointment?
I had never any interest in NWN for the single player campaign personally, and I didn't know anybody else who was either. The focus always seemed to be on multiplayer, and I've still yet to see a contemporary game with comparable online DMing capabilities. There was Wyvern, not quite the same but still had a nice community - server has been down for years now, though...

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I remember getting bored of the OC when I tried it soon after it was released, then I tried it again a few years later and got bored again, never even made it out of the first city of four quadrants.

But then I ended up playing all of the official add-ons and countless user made modules, so I got many hours of entertainment out of the game.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Nothing beats Neeshka

a lot of nwn 2 players have a massive boner for her for some reason

I think it's the voice but I seriously can't tell why exactly

the worst thing is how adult gwen in guild wars 1 has the same voice actor

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I had never any interest in NWN for the single player campaign personally, and I didn't know anybody else who was either. The focus always seemed to be on multiplayer, and I've still yet to see a contemporary game with comparable online DMing capabilities. There was Wyvern, not quite the same but still had a nice community - server has been down for years now, though...
That was my experience as well: I finished the OC eventually, but yeah, it was pretty dull. However, I remember talking to a guy who was also playing it and he was raving about the LotR servers and some of the persistent settings. Once I started checking them out, I was hooked.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
OC was only 'easy' if you toke advantage of some wussy stuff that BIO should have never put in the game. Real HARDCORE players don't take the cheap way out and actually play it 'legit'.
Well, I actually played v3.0 as a cleric, and understood all the rules, as well as how my character would look at level 20 when first creating it. A person who understands the D&D mechanics at this level: most characters would be death machines at high levels, especially clerics who can rest anywhere (and I'll admit that was cheap.)

However, someone who creates a pure class like bard or barbarian, and takes poor feats or whatever looks best each level: could be very troubling. The old Gold Box games had a manual with 50 pages of D&D rules for newcomers, what did NWN come with? A pretty hefty book with feats, base classes, prestige classes, spells, skills, and locations.

Edit: Oh my God, that picture above is horrible!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Neeshka's voice was only tolerable when she made it deep to impersonate others. She should have spoken like that all the time.

Who wrote her?
Gaider wrote her in chapter 2. That leaves other chapters unaccounted for though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"ow. The Shadows of Undrentide expansion was actually developed by Looking Glass remnants. I knew that game was underrated!"

No, it wasn't. Their version was scrapped and BIO ended up redoing it in a month or so. The only things remaing from LGS is some little extras. It was one BIO writer per chapter.

Rpgsaurus Rex

"You gotta challenge yourself to have fun in NWN"

Whats the point? You control a single character (your followers are AI), combat is mostly RNG-based in the early stage and loot-based in later stages. There are very few tactical choices involved, and they matter very little at that.

No resting? Then how the hell do you play a spellcaster, by multiclassing, or having an AI tank for you while you use a ranged weapon? o_O Whats the fun in that?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"ow. The Shadows of Undrentide expansion was actually developed by Looking Glass remnants. I knew that game was underrated!"

No, it wasn't. Their version was scrapped and BIO ended up redoing it in a month or so. The only things remaing from LGS is some little extras. It was one BIO writer per chapter.

Source?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You don't waste spells, and play smart. Use potions if neeed, scolls, wands, and the like. Henchmen, familiar, summons. Why waste spells versus a 4hp goblin? Dumb.

RNG? Do you 'luck of dice'? I assume you do not range combat since I rarely play a range focused carerr (barring spellcasters of course).

There's lots of tatical choice involved if you don't use the cheese. Admittedly, some of the cheese being available is squarely BIo's fault and they deserve blame for it but then again pretty much every game has its cheese tatics.

Tatics? It has more tatics than the majority of RPGs. What 'tatics' couldbe used in GB games? Bg games? FO? Ahost of others? Comaopred to NWN, to claim NWN lacks 'tatics' ignores reality. It is certainly now lower compared to its competition.

"Source"

I'm not going to search for old links to such an ancient story. Read old BIO, Obsidian, and Codex threrads. Old news articles.

It's a fact. BIO felt sucha shitty job was done they flat out fiire FG and di majority of work themselves.

P.S. This doesn't change the fact that SOu is the worst installment of official NWN1 modules.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
........... that bloodsail captain. :?

CUR, BOUNDER.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom