Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN OC plot was cut, possibly due to publisher meddling

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I personally found Jaheira even more annoying. Triggered this "romance" stuff without even knowing that I activated it.

Black

Arcane
I personally found Jaheira even more annoying. Triggered this "romance" stuff without even knowing that I activated it.
Did Jaheira even remember about Khalid after the forced drama in the dungeon?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Jaheira was p. annoying too but had a few semi-redeeming moments. But maybe I'm just willing to cut the bossy bitch some slack because she did sort-of see her husband murdered and brutally mutilated and things like that unhinge wenches. There was the whole bandit encoutner thing where she'd get pissed if you took an arrow for her 'cause she wuvs you and all and the being grateful when you pick her up at the harpers thing.
Little things. Not enough to make her a non-shallow likable wench. But worth mentioning nonetheless when comparing the trainwreck that is bioware women. Also, she could turn into a bear. That was pretty handy.

Aerie was just one long whiny string of retardo. I picked her up at first because cleric/wizard with good stats and all. But after ditching her halfway through the first playthrough I just murdered the ogre in the circus every subsequent game.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
She mentions him a few times in the "romance" scenes and you have to help her forgetting about him whilst falling in eternal love with her. Ofcourse this scene was triggered right before I went into the last level of Watchers Keep, couldn't there be a more inappropriate place? This game, really...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The more I think about it, the only well-adjusted woman in the BG series was Mazzy. Llolth preserve us!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That's only because you don't get to romance her.
Someday, the BG2 modding community will release the ultimate hairy foot fetish mod for BG2
105.gif

Oh Mazzy, how I long to suck on your toes, while burying my nose in that luxurious, curly, auxillary bush.... :oops:

Rpgsaurus Rex

[Aribeth Picture]

Possibly the most annoying NPC in the history of RPG's.

Wrong.

1079425-aerie_large.jpg

Meh, yes she has a pretty annoying personality. But at least she had a *personality*, and you could always run a playthrough with her for teh lulz (the times you didn't happily butcher her in Ogre form, for even greater lulz).

Aribeth, on the other hand, had no personality, which wasn't helped by the horrid voice actress. Just 0. 100% cliche "good paladin turning evil". And that for a major story character...

Rpgsaurus Rex

Jaheira was p. annoying too but had a few semi-redeeming moments. But maybe I'm just willing to cut the bossy bitch some slack because she did sort-of see her husband murdered and brutally mutilated and things like that unhinge wenches. There was the whole bandit encoutner thing where she'd get pissed if you took an arrow for her 'cause she wuvs you and all and the being grateful when you pick her up at the harpers thing.
Little things. Not enough to make her a non-shallow likable wench. But worth mentioning nonetheless when comparing the trainwreck that is bioware women. Also, she could turn into a bear. That was pretty handy.

Aerie was just one long whiny string of retardo. I picked her up at first because cleric/wizard with good stats and all. But after ditching her halfway through the first playthrough I just murdered the ogre in the circus every subsequent game.

Viconia romance was pretty well done, IMO.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Aribeth, on the other hand, had no personality, which wasn't helped by the horrid voice actress. Just 0. 100% cliche "good paladin turning evil"

Bullshitz.

the fact you can try to claim that Aeries is a better character just shows how stupid you truly are.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Aribeth, on the other hand, had no personality, which wasn't helped by the horrid voice actress. Just 0. 100% cliche "good paladin turning evil"

Bullshitz.

the fact you can try to claim that Aeries is a better character just shows how stupid you truly are.

Volourn, you're wrong. I know that's practically a given, but still. Go read the Paladin class entry in the 3E D&D PHB, then go read the Blackguard class entry, and you have her character. There is literally nothing to her character beyond her duty as a paladin and the shallow love story with Fenthik or whatever his name was.

I think they realized how awful she was and tried to fix her in HotU, but I still really only take her in that because she makes an amazing tank.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You trigger the Aerie/Jaheira/Viconia/Anomen romances simply by having them in your party and not telling them to shut the fuck up. Thankfully n/a to non-human/elf races.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That was you describe Roguey is even worse, I kept them in my party because I wanted them to be there, for example in Jaheiras case for the Druid Spells (dunno why, but I always try to have a druid in my D&D parties). Due to the ambigious dialogues in BG2 you never know if someone is just expressing his eternal love to you or just wants to leave your party. ATM I am playing through BG1 again (btw, can someone help me, playing it with the Tutu mod and that maiden Minsc wants to Rescue is NOT in the gnoll fortress, even though I instantly travelled there) and this shit is just so embarassing and exhausting. I mean what kind of sick fucks worked at BioWare at the time to think that Romances are the Number 1 interaction inbetween the typical P&P party banter.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
You have to keep Jaheira around until she leaves the Harpers, then tell her you don't give a fuck, causing her much butthurt and leaving in anger.

The more I think about it, the only well-adjusted woman in the BG series was Mazzy. Llolth preserve us!
She's Paragon Femshep.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The key to understanding BG2 is that if one of your companions is initiating dialogue with you out of the blue, and it's not an obvious hook for a subquest, then it's a romance.

Also:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /4#7818962
Lukas Kristjanson said:
Romances: When we announced there would be romances in BG2 there was outcry against it on our boards. But the reason we put them in was because people were inventing their own. In BG1 it was enough that we simply didn’t contradict it. Players read into all sorts of interactions, scripting or not, and they were eager to believe that relationships were developing. So we knew the appetite was there.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The thing that irritated me the most about the game ( i don't play multiplayer either) is the huge buttons i can still vaguely recall for the terrible 'OC' infecting the main menu. If they had used some like 'last module you played' it would take a bit of the sting out of the butthurt of actually having paid for that thing.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
btw, can someone help me, playing it with the Tutu mod and that maiden Minsc wants to Rescue is NOT in the gnoll fortress, even though I instantly travelled there

You need to descend to the bottom of one of the last pit to actually spot her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom