Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN Review

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
SP, you know we disagree for the most aprt when it comes to NWN; but your review is both fair and honest. Thumbs up for that.

Some points for others in this thread:

There is nothing wrong with SP reviewing the OC only as long as he states that's what he is doinhg which he is doing.

I think the NWN OC was solid; but definitely not a 5* classic.

You could not playa full fledge pacifst in FO. Last I check, blowing things up isn't a pacifist act.

That is all.

Rosh

Erudite
Volourn said:
You could not playa full fledge pacifst in FO. Last I check, blowing things up isn't a pacifist act.

Oooh, what a pitiful straw man ( :wink:); you can go through the game without having to fight at all if your speech and other abilities was sufficient. That was the point about pacifism and non-violent resolution. There is hardly anything of the sort released by Bioware, including their rather laughable "click every dialog option for mass exp and lewt!"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Heh. I never compaed BIo games (or nay game for that matter) to FO when it comes to the non combat vs. non combat quest solution. It just sounds funny to me when somebody says you can beat FO as a pacifist, and that's a fact yet forget to mention the blowing up part.

Rosh

Erudite
Volourn said:
Heh. I never compaed BIo games (or nay game for that matter) to FO when it comes to the non combat vs. non combat quest solution. It just sounds funny to me when somebody says you can beat FO as a pacifist, and that's a fact yet forget to mention the blowing up part.

1 : opposition to war or violence as a means of settling disputes; specifically : refusal to bear arms on moral or religious grounds

Violence may also be disputed, namely by the fact that with the Military Base, the destruction is not a violent action. Explosions inherently are not, unless they are meant to be harmful to people. That is the entire point of pacifism, as opposed to a demolitionist action. A pacifist may choose to blow up the vats as opposed to kill everyone there. They would choose the longest timer and make it audible to give everyone time to escape, as opposed to letting it quietly go through the countdown and kill everyone there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
However, in the case of FO1, it is made quite clear that even with the timer set high; and a loud count; those there still landed up dying. Not to mention, the player was well aware (or should be) that it would lead to the deaths of the occupants.

This debate was had on the BIS board just awhile ago, and BIS even pointed out this was the case. Ask, Tri Critical; he was there as well.

Rosh

Erudite
Volourn said:
This debate was had on the BIS board just awhile ago, and BIS even pointed out this was the case.

Frankly, BIS hasn't a fucking clue, as demonstrated by the sequel and how abyssmal it almost turned out.

Technically, by the definition of pacifist, blowing up the vats while giving ample warning isn't against being a pacifist. It's the only option, and done without the intent of harming others, and also to keep others from harm. They have done everything in their power to prevent the deaths of others.

Opposition to war as a means to settling disputes. Well, instead of killing everything in sight, they are instead removing the ability for the enemy to pose a threat while also giving them an ample opporotunity to get into the clear, in a non-conflicting action. That fits the definition perfectly.

Araanor

Liturgist
First time I read this thread, checked out those comments at VE3D too. Wouldn't have thought it'd stir up so many fanboys, they must not be used to seeing critical reviews.

Exitium said:
Why, scientists probably don't know what they're talking about, either. They are all probably lying about the sun being a big ball of gas, because one would have to ask the question if whether the scientists have ACTUALLY BEEN TO THE SUN?

Wouldn't that be ball of plasma? :)

Rosh

Erudite
Araanor said:
First time I read this thread, checked out those comments at VE3D too. Wouldn't have thought it'd stir up so many fanboys, they must not be used to seeing critical reviews.

No, they're used to games like Sacrifice being called Innovative! by the staff there, with the reason that it was the best-looking RTS they've seen to date. :roll:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:

Well, technically, that's true. You have to blow up Mariposa, because I think that's the only non-combat method for doing that. The Master, if you tell him the error of his ways blows the Vault-Tec Vault up on his own, so that wouldn't count.

However, given what was done at Mariposa, I think even Gandi would pass up fasting in favor of something more pro-active given those circumstances.

Keldorn

Scholar
NWN looks BLAND. Copy & Paste buildings & caves.... BLAND. The sounds of the creaky doors, chests, barrels & crates = BLAND. The OC, with the plague theme... BLAND. The music.... BLAND. The sparkling gems ? BLAND. The combat ? BLAND. The pixelated dialogue ? BLAND. The recruitable NPC's ? ALL BLAND.

Aurora = Bore-Aura.

See how sweet 3-D always is (NOT) ? And that's part of the problem, the perpetual 3-D CURSE. It's time to go back to 2-D isometric with it's glorious artistry, wonder and dynamic diversity. 2-D iso also facilitates the party-based concept, something 3-D does NOT do.

Oh yeah, Volourn is bland too.

ALSO, BG 1 & 2 kicks yer cynical BITCH ass.

(And Sodomizer is a false accuser with a feces-fetish and a shit-smeared smile)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom