Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 E3 Cinematic Trailer

Jora

Arcane
My understanding is that Obsidian uses another firm to make the cinematics. Feargus talked about it saying that Troika did the same with TToEE.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Meh. The videos last week were much more impressive. What a waste of a 5 minute + download. :roll:

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Whipporowill said:
Well, at least they seem to have decent artists. A few years ago, only Blizzard (and Square Enix) were able to pull one of these off. No explanation of how the splinter winds up in your ass though...

Hhm. My reaction was pretty different. I thought it seemed tedious and generic and less impressive than the average cinematic you see these days. The character and monster design are pretty uninspired and lack the flair of Blizzard's stuff (which is, of course, largely lifted from Warhammer) and the direction was kind of blah, mostly cuts / style ripped from the Matrix which makes it seem derivative and dated on the one hand and pretentious on the other. Music was blah, too. I remember how exciting the Warcraft III trailer was -- over half a decade ago -- and I imagine it would still look much cooler not just from a technical standpoint but an artistic one.

Still, judging a game by these sorts of cinematics is silly. What the game does in-game matters much more, especially since in-game cinematics are the only kind that modders will be able to do (realistically).

All said, I'd rate this a B-.

Mr.Rocco

Novice
Jesus, this is almost bad as NWN1 trailer. They should've hired Koreans to do the cinematic. Them koreans make terrible games but one thing they're good at is intro movies. Their crap mmo games like SON and even Lineage2 have really nice movies, almost like motion feature movie quality.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not really impressive. Seems rather uninspired and generic.
I'll have to agree with Wouldbecreator that the things Blizz makes are more impressive.
Anyone remember the Broodwar Intro? Hell, this was great and its how long ago? 7 years.

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
I would say that this is probably somewhat more impressive than the Brood War trailer from a technical standpoint, although it is significantly less interesting artistically. IIRC, the BW trailer's lighting, modeling, and animation would all seem fairly rudimentary compared to what's here, even though they were used to greater effect.

--EDIT--
http://www.blizzard.com/broodwar/popup/download.htm

Here is the '97 E3 BW trailer. It's a technical disaster, though I mean, the animation is almost a decade old, so you can't hold it against them. :)

Surlent

Liturgist
The sword is obviously the one that shattered before the oc starts, but who is the guy wielding it ? I didn't know gith had beards.

obediah

Erudite
Surlent said:
The sword is obviously the one that shattered before the oc starts, but who is the guy wielding it ? I didn't know gith had beards.

It's the Gith-Yankee's arch enemy - the Gith-Hippie

Zomg

Arbiter
I dunno how many points the "impressive cinematics" of old should get. I think there was just some mysterious excitement about seeing those graphics take shape, like an art form congealing. Plus there was some neat-o factor in seeing the same virtual world that you usually only saw in the crude gameplay graphics rendered at the fidelity of imagination. The novelty is gone, though.

I remember thinking the Soul Edge intro was the coolest thing ever. Now that kind of thing is just some shit that forces me to fiddle in the .ini file to stop from playing every time I start a game.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Brodwar/Diablo2 might have had now seemingly outdated technical specs, but it was technically top-notch at its time. Design and direction-wise, it is top-notch ALL THE TIME, even now.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Zomg said:
I dunno how many points the "impressive cinematics" of old should get. I think there was just some mysterious excitement about seeing those graphics take shape, like an art form congealing. Plus there was some neat-o factor in seeing the same virtual world that you usually only saw in the crude gameplay graphics rendered at the fidelity of imagination. The novelty is gone, though.

I remember thinking the Soul Edge intro was the coolest thing ever. Now that kind of thing is just some shit that forces me to fiddle in the .ini file to stop from playing every time I start a game.

I beg to differ.
I think the technology isn't that far yet to replace well rendered movies with ingame-graphics-cutscenes. Especially in RTS and RPGs, this just looks very poor, like puppet theatre. I won't even elobarate on the total lack of any dramaturgy.
No matter how many times designers say that their ingame scripted scenes are like totally awesome, the truth is they just don't want to spend money on rendered movies.

Oh yeah, the DoW intro was very nice. It's a shame though they didn't create a new one for WA. Greedy basturds.

It doesn't have to be rendered 3D movies always though. The Comics in Max Payne or the half painted/half animated cutscenes in the Thief series were great.

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
I've pretty much always prefered ingame cinematics, although in the case of early RTS games, obviously there was really no other option to outgame ones. It looks like Age of Legends will be getting by with in-engine stuff, though, which looks gorgeous.

Oarfish

Prophet
HL2 did cut scenes pretty damn well in the engine. Valve have superb animators though and didn't just play idle animations while the yapping was going on, unlike a certain famous RPG developer.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Bloodlines's face animation was superb, EXCEPT for the laughter! It cracks me up (heh) everytime I see Jack laugh in the opening dialog!

Damn... I really want to see some quality facial animations in a game... interactive, to boot... ya know, with realistic laughter, teeth-gritting, scowls and shit..

trystero

Novice
Hmmm...

Cinematic was ok... I suppose the bearded fellow had already stolen the sword?

I don't fault the artists neccessarily for uninspired character design. Since this is an FR property, I am sure WoTC insisted on the same sort of style so prevalent in the Forgotten Realms rule books.

- trystero

Seven

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
You know which game had the best cinematics of any game ever? Homeworld. What comes in second? Homeworld 2.

You know with homeworld the "cinematics" were just cartoons, but the in-game cut scenes were something different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom