Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News NWN2 Expansion 'Storm of Zehir' in Development

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by El Dee, Jun 9, 2008.

1. El Dee Scholar

El Dee
    Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

Obsidian Developers Anthony Davis and Nathaniel Chapman confirm and field some questions about the upcoming Storm of Zehir expansion for NWN2 <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24582&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0"> here at the Codex</a>.
    <br>
    <br>
    Thanks, Starwars!

^ Top  
  2. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    The Greatest RPG Series Ever Created Continues!!!

^ Top  
  3. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    "The Greatest RPG Series Ever Created Continues!!!"

Stop lying, troll.

^ Top  
  4. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
  5. Anthony Davis Blizzard Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    That was either a critical failure at "sarcasm detection" or a critical success at "counter sarcasm".

With the RPG Codex though, it could be both at the same time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    OMG RELEASE DATE PLZZ GIEV ME ?!!!

^ Top  
  7. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    You have clearly yet to experience Volourn. Leave before you do

^ Top  
  8. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    HAHA, BN! Like that. :lol:

P.S. I am DEADLY serious!

^ Top  
  9. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yes!

^ Top  
  10. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    He is. He really is. But I thought Volourn always said NWN wasn't even Bio's best game? Was NWN2 better than NWN1? I know you liked MotB.

Could you elaborate on why you think NWN is the best RPG series, and I don't mean that in a condescending sense, I'm truly curious.

NWN isn't a bad RPG series, but the main games themselves weren't that great, while the expansions were a lot better.

^ Top  
  11. Amasius Augur

Amasius
    Volourn couldn't even spell sarcasm.

^ Top  
  12. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "But I thought Volourn always said NWN wasn't even Bio's best game?"

You thought wrong. NWN OC isn't their best. NWN is. I know the use of subtlety isn't up the Codex's alley but *shrug*.

^ Top  
  13. Lurkar Scholar

Lurkar
    Stepping away from the Volourn nonesense, the new expansion looks like seriously great stuff.

^ Top  
  14. Jaime Lannister Arbiter

Jaime Lannister
  15. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    BN used Volly's style to express his own opinion. Quite nicely, imho.

^ Top  
  16. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    "Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir hearkens back to the days of the Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale franchises by including full party customization, dungeon crawling, and free exploration of a non-linear game world via an Overland Map"

"In addition to trading and economic manipulation, the Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir Overland Map allows players to explore the Chultan Peninsula and Sword Coast in a non-linear manner never before seen in any of the Neverwinter Nights games. Exploration will take players from well-known locations, like Neverwinter and Crossroad Keep, to more exotic areas, such as the xenophobic jungle nation of Samarach. Groups of highwaymen and monsters populate the Overland Map and the farther from civilization the player roams, the more difficult the encounters become. The 15-hour campaign in Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir is also packed with new classes, spells, creatures, and playable races. "

I like this. Every rpg should have an explorable world map with random encounters. Of course that Fallout had this already, but this is a step in the right direction.

It would be great if they realized that team TB combat as in ToEE is the only useful combat system for DnD rpgs. Just add this as an alternative combat system (alternative to that RTwP mess) and then read players feedback.

^ Top  
  17. AlanC9 Liturgist

AlanC9
    You mean, just design a completely different movement, combat, and AI system, and put it in the box for the same price. I'm sure that one will be easy to justify to the bean counters.

And if you think TB would be popular, you're deluded. Better, maybe. But the NWN audience likes RTwP.

Volourn's just plain right about the series. I've had more hours of high-quality gameplay out of the NWN series than out of any other series. Most of that gameplay hasn't come from Bio or Obsidian designers, of course -- though a good deal of it has.

^ Top  
  18. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    You mean the system which began the gaming on the PC? On which the majority(according to the statistics) players grew up on? How DARE they put in the TB system, an actual representation of D&D, for a game based on D&D! D&D players don't want to play D&D on their computers!

You're the one deluded on publisher talk. Do you really think that NWN 2, with its horribly looking combat, sold better just because its RT? Get real.

^ Top  
  19. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    Of course not. The difference between TB and RTwP is how combat is sequenced. Everything else would remain the same. I think it would be very easy in fact to just add an option to switch combat systems like in Fallout Tactics.

They could also use a few tricks from playable books. When you have teams of numerous small or weak creatures like goblins or rats leaded by a boss they function as a single creature and attack all at the same time.

TB would not be popular today, of course, but that would not be a problem since it would be optional.

And they could still play it the way they like since it would be optional. We can't say they would not find an alternative TB useful if one was provided and use it. Many of them complain about the lack of control and the lack of options provided by the actual system. This was one of the biggest complains on NWN2 combat system on their forums. With the two systems they would switch to TB mode in those situations where it's hard to use RTwP.

It's fucking hysterical if publishers believe that by adding an option to pause the game and sequence fights players will instantly run away from it in fear it will become a commercial failure.

^ Top  
  20. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "talk. Do you really think that NWN 2, with its horribly looking combat, sold better just because its RT? Get real."

Youa r ean idoot. You assume everyone thinks the way you do, and that they had the same reaction to NWN series' combat. People like NWN series for many reasons - the combat system being one of them.

Just deal with the fact that your lame opinion is a shitty and minor opinion. This means it mean squat.

^ Top  
  21. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    Even for RTwP games the neverwinter night series has been a huge disappointment and dumbing down.

NWN2 < NWN1 < BG and Icewind Dale series. Period.

^ Top  
  22. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I am most confused and amused by this statement unless we're talking about combat.

^ Top  
  23. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    NWN series > BG series when it comes to combat. EASY!

^ Top  
  24. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    What is the difference between NWN and NWN2 combat? (I had not played NWN2)

^ Top  
  25. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    I'm talking about combat for the Icewind Dale series and everything else for the BG series.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)