Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2, Hero's Paths, Storm of Zehir Conversation System, etc.

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
No one is going to comment on the Storm of Zehir conversation system? It's freaking lovely. All party members can interject in dialogue and have skill checks based on their skills. It's really a glorious feature that we need to see more of in modern RPGs. Anyone agree?

I thought almost all of SoZ was incline, conversation system included. Unfortunately, it was married to the NWN2 engine, which made for 1 room dungeons and a game that ended up feeling really broad and very shallow. Would've loved to see it as a full game with a full game's effort behind it instead of just an expansion with some cool ideas implemented at a superficial level.

Deleted Member 16721

Whew, downed the wolves, working on the goblin hunters! Cool game, digging it. Lots of tiles have random encounter type things that I appreciate.

Deleted Member 16721

Game's kinda brutal Dorateen. Is there a way to level up without having to fight those 20-ish goblins in the horde?

Dorateen

Arcane
Sure, there is a lot to explore, Fluent. I'm wondering if you missed the goblin cave on one of the other maps. Also, if you go north, you can complete some side quests for Mugs the cook for easy xp. Once you hit 2nd level, you should start to fare better.

Deleted Member 16721

Sure, there is a lot to explore, Fluent. I'm wondering if you missed the goblin cave on one of the other maps. Also, if you go north, you can complete some side quests for Mugs the cook for easy xp. Once you hit 2nd level, you should start to fare better.

Goblin caves? I'm only on the Hearkenworld map, did I miss something earlier than that?

I'll go north and see what I can find. Thanks man!

Dorateen

Arcane

Goblin caves? I'm only on the Hearkenworld map, did I miss something earlier than that?

I'll go north and see what I can find. Thanks man!

East of the castle grounds, north of the road. Keep poking around, and see what you can find.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I really enjoyed SOZ and it's economic caravan mechanic but I ended up gimping myself and couldn't defeat the boss at the end. It's frustrating when you invest many hours in an RPG and that happens. The same thing happened with the expansion for Baldur's Gate II but that kind of sucked so it wasn't as disappointing.

frajaq

Erudite
I do quite agree that SoZ's dialogue system with the whole party involved is quite nice. I was quite weird in some moments in Deadfire where there was...say an option involving Streetwise/Bluff/Diplomacy whatever and you had a companion really trained in it, but you could only get their party bonus.

Like hello? You're standing right there, how about helping me out here? Why can't you help me out directly here?

Deleted Member 16721

I've just posted a video playing Hearkenwold for the first time, so if anyone is interested in seeing me play it (blindly), feel free to check it out.

Dorateen

Arcane
Good work, Fluent

I know the interface takes some getting used to. Just in case you haven't found it, during combat, the button on the right side under the character portraits will bring up a movement pad. I found that easier to use on the battle map. And that stupid spider! I think you could have prevailed with some lucky dice rolls, if your wizard had gotten off his sleep spell. By the way, nice to be able to put names and faces to your party. Two wizards, eh? That could be interesting when they grow stronger. Also, I believe you had some healing potions that you could have used in the middle of battle when characters were damaged. And spell point potions for when your magic-missile casting wizard ran out of spell points. Early on, tactical use of these consumables can be critical to survival.

Thanks for playing and sharing your experience.

Deleted Member 16721

Good work, Fluent

I know the interface takes some getting used to. Just in case you haven't found it, during combat, the button on the right side under the character portraits will bring up a movement pad. I found that easier to use on the battle map. And that stupid spider! I think you could have prevailed with some lucky dice rolls, if your wizard had gotten off his sleep spell. By the way, nice to be able to put names and faces to your party. Two wizards, eh? That could be interesting when they grow stronger. Also, I believe you had some healing potions that you could have used in the middle of battle when characters were damaged. And spell point potions for when your magic-missile casting wizard ran out of spell points. Early on, tactical use of these consumables can be critical to survival.

Thanks for playing and sharing your experience.

Thanks Dorateen! I didn't realize I had those, forgot about 'em. I did end up learning to use the Cleric Heal spell though. The 2nd episode is more brutal, I die a lot but don't get discouraged, it's just more that I was hunting around for actual encounters I could handle at that point. All in good fun though.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Looking forward to more of your let's play of hearkenwold. Your voice overs for the NPCs are top notch! Adds to the fun. I died many times when playing hearkenwold for the first time... It feels very dangerous as the real world should be for early adventurers... Not linear holding your hand type of module... but does get less brutal with level 2 PC's.

Deleted Member 16721

Looking forward to more of your let's play of hearkenwold. Your voice overs for the NPCs are top notch! Adds to the fun. I died many times when playing hearkenwold for the first time... It feels very dangerous as the real world should be for early adventurers... Not linear holding your hand type of module... but does get less brutal with level 2 PC's.

Thanks man! Looking forward to doing more.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Finished watching the second episode of your let's play. Ouch, that was brutal. Stick with it, it will be worth it. Tips: don't let the cleric die, watch the log as it will tell you important info (like that PC's are bleeding), only explore the map just right and adjacent to the castle and then North of that map, find as much food for Mugs as possible as it is easy xp, and find the goblin cave in the map adjacent and east of the castle.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Hey guys. Just recorded more Hearkenwold, the video will be up tomorrow. In it I made some progress and leveled up two characters, with nice HP and BAB bonuses it should make a huge difference.

Thanks for the tips slowdive ! I explored those maps and didn't realize Mugs wanted food (I don't remember him telling me that) and I didn't hunt the rabbit or deer. But I did grab the bear meat, so that's something. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom