Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 OC was not bad as people make it out

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
NWN 2 OC wasn't as bad as people make it out to be IT WASt was truly "epic" and it fully takes you from humble beginnings to a goddamn batman of the Keep defending peoples from sieges and shit you even play a motherfucking trial-lawyer segment goddamn

wtf people i mean sure orca caves were ghufucking long yes, but pepple forget the good stuff because it was long ass shit also the characters wren't half bad fuck i enjoyed the dwarf fdude he wanted to be amonk but after changing classes game gives you fighter class epic gears LOLZ

- sands was good char and so was the thiefling girl mmm waifu right there motherfucka dwarf was good entertaining fellow also the romance-novel male love interests were also fun especially eval ranger dude he was snarky and funny

you know yes i had a few a beers but i think nwn 2 oc wasn't that bad and omg HOT TAKES i think it was much better than storm of zehir but then again it doesn't take much to beat SoZ LOOL

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ALSO your stepdad was an asshole LOL

i can remember almost every single npc from nwn2 and tons of shit you did during OC like when u go take your knightly vows in the middle of the night little scenes like that that just added a lot of flavor and ambiance

the bard contest the dumbledore mage u have to go visit in blacklakes seriously you do A TON OF SHNIT in nwn2 oc also weapon enchanting was fun as fuck

even had a small character arcs for the pseudo-villains that are hunting you down for first half of the game also speaking of you even participate in gladiator shit NWN@ OC was LIT

RIBSMASHER !!!1

Delterius

Arcane
A lot of people think that NwN's gameplay is complete garbage. They'd be right if only there wasn't a meta narrative to these games: the combat is actively painful to the player in order to emulate the trials of the would be adventurer. Truly a marvel of ludonarrative consistency.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i liked your first draft of the post about lack of pretension and consistency before u changed to a more cynical one because u were afraid of getting bad tags for your hot take on game writing

Delterius

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
you know yes i had a few a beers but i think nwn 2 oc wasn't that bad and omg HOT TAKES

demotivation.us_The-power-of-alcohol_139524311726.jpg

Delterius

Arcane
Another important point that should be made is about the OC's writing. It is traditional in its character and flies in the face of modernist demands such as 'deep characters', 'interesting storylines' and 'engaging plots'. Instead, it delivers the beauty of an average D&D campaign that is best expressed by its archetypical words. Indeed, to play Neverwinter Nights 2's OC is to feel right at home, in your teen years and with friends at the table -- with the full creative power of those young, middle school minds pooled together in a torrent of sugary drinks.

Deleted Member 16721

I just want to mention that NWN 2 has the only Planescape module I know if, a German creation by the name of "The Shaper of Dreams." I started playing it but held off for now, will def return to it later. That's all I have to add. And that more Planescape campaigns really need to be made already. Cheerio.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I liked NWN2 OC when I last played it but I don't know how it would hold up now. In hindsight, I think the keep, the classes, and the trial are the only three highlights. And I guess the classes only really shine in the expansions.

Valtiel

Scholar
Played it recently for the first time, I was expecting basically hell, but overall I find ii consistenly more than bearable, with some peaks of goodness. Plot is quite generic and sure not that memorable, but it delivers. Companion are just ok, not deep, not really engaging, but they can be fun and they grow on you. Pacing is horrible at beginning but it slowly gets better, until the final part of the game which is honestly cool. Gameplay wise, dunno, i thought it was just ok, I really liked all the character creation options and that basically did it for me, encounters weren't that fun bet neither unbearable (save from some section, like that fucking warehouse). The best part it's the overall progression, and the ending feels satisfying for once (I observe a recent tendency for games to end abruptly), definitely not rushed.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
NWN2 was a good game trapped in average writing and legendarily bad camerawork.

The good:
* One of the best leveling systems in almost any game I've played
* Models weren't bad, some NPCs were ok (I liked Bishop, so shoot me.)
* Some challenge in there, and it felt like a D&D module in parts.
* Got to set up your own keep, but a little too late in the game for my tastes (see: BG2)

The meh
* The crafting system was uninspired, and just didn't seem to add anything.
* Finished the game but I don't remember much about it other than a silver shard or something (compare to: played UW1 once and remember almost everything about it.)
* The fighter gal you pick up later was kinda ugly and dull, but a romance option. Definitely not waifu material
* NPC reputation system made me replay conversations over and over to get the optimal outcome rather than just advancing the damn story. Not as bad as DA:O gift system, but still.

The bad
* Paths to walk on rather than full map exploration, not much exploration at all.
* Some NPCs were downright brutal on the ears and eyes (that thief girl. argh.)
* Fighter NPC dies and she's related the daughter of ... Arman Jerro - geez, ok I do remember something. He doesn't seem to even acknowledge the event.
* Ending was bad. I liked the option to influence the outcome before the 'big fight' though

Delterius

Arcane
the ending feels satisfying for once (I observe a recent tendency for games to end abruptly), definitely not rushed.

You found "rocks fall, everyone dies" satisfying. :hmmm:
As I said, a perfect implementation of a true D&D session. What DM wouldn't let those rocks loose considering that Neeshka and Khelgar were characters in NwN2? The OC has more layers than most people care to think.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I seem to remember it being more positively spoken about a number of years ago. As in, "it's meh, but has some highs like the trial". Now people only seem to remember the camera and not even bad content like the orc or bugbear caves seem to be brought up to shit on the game.

Delterius

Arcane
I seem to remember it being more positively spoken about a number of years ago. As in, "it's meh, but has some highs like the trial". Now people only seem to remember the camera and not even bad content like the orc or bugbear caves seem to be brought up to shit on the game.
You forgot that there's the trial and then there's how the trial is in the game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The camera was nothing compared to the linear, horribad writing - especially the companions'.

The good end to this game is literally "rocks fall, everybody dies".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
As in, "it's meh, but has some highs like the trial".

Maybe people figured out that even thing like the trial were just bullshit where no matter what you do you end up with the same outcome. lol muh c&c turned out to be just a farce.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom