Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 OC was not bad as people make it out

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I was having ok fun until the bit where you build your own castle. Interest just started waning and ended up playing something else and never went back. (Except for MOTB)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Feels like an entirely different team worked on the game after reaching the city compared to before it.
Going to revise my opinion on the OC -- not bad at all if you can stomach the first handful of hours.
John Lee was responsible for the abomination of act 1, Fenstermaker/Ziets/Husges did act 2, and Constant Gaw and Tony Evans wrapped things up in act 3.

Codex Year of the Donut
Pd2lYth.png

99l0Nn1.gif

Codex Year of the Donut
Do you get a chance to tweak your character at all inbetween OC and MOTB?
Does importing the same character have any differences compared to making a new one for MOTB?

Cael

Arcane
Listen, I'm not going to spam this thread anymore because arguing about something so subjective is pretty pointless. I'm never going to prove anything because there's nothing to prove. It's just an opinion - not science. It's just how I feel about these games.
Claiming subjective opinion basically means you admit to being a hypocrite.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Now that the dust has settled we can easily claim NWN2 had a better campaign than both pillows games COMBINED.

Enemies don't respawn out of thin air when you hit sloppily-put-together redundant triggers in Pillars. There's nothing as bad as the orc caves (no, not even that cult dungeon underneath the town in the first). All companions are completely optional so if you find them annoying, you don't have to put up with them in cutscenes. There's no "rocks fall, everybody dies" ending (though Deadfire's isn't much better).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Now that the dust has settled we can easily claim NWN2 had a better campaign than both pillows games COMBINED.

Enemies don't respawn out of thin air when you hit sloppily-put-together redundant triggers in Pillars. There's nothing as bad as the orc caves (no, not even that cult dungeon underneath the town in the first). All companions are completely optional so if you find them annoying, you don't have to put up with them in cutscenes. There's no "rocks fall, everybody dies" ending (though Deadfire's isn't much better).
And PoE doesn't have well written campaign or characters,it doesn't have the trial part,it doesn't have a the interesting base building part,it doesn't have the D&D system but some authistic interpretation of it,it doesn't have any good dlc/expansions like Mask of the Betrayer,it doesn't have anything memorable.

Also you missed that NWN2 have the worst companion AI ever made!

Also you could ditch your companions in nwn2,don't see why you put it as some positive for poe,since the poe2 companions are so bad that you would want to ditch them. Also i don't see how you honestly could compare rockfall ending to that shit in deadfire. At least you got to fight the bad dude and not "your whole journey was meaningless,i would blow up the computer because the gods are running on win98 still".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The orc caves = Endless Paths. With the difference that the Endless Paths are a loooot longer. The NWN2 companions at least have memorable lines, I'll never forget the "Oh, this water is so unnatural and deep, not like the swamp of dead people I grew up in" line. I'm going to go against the popular opinion and say that the first act of NWN2 is actually well-designed in terms of structure. A lot of the stuff in it is optional (like the graveyard, the lizardfolk caves, bandit camp, the ruined castle, etc.) while providing some good low level equipment (the mace that is on fire is the one I always remember), along with money to buy more equipment, there are cool magical items to buy from the inn and from the quartermaster in the fort. Yeah, the content itself isn't great, but the structure appeals to me a lot.

Cael

Arcane
The orc caves = Endless Paths. With the difference that the Endless Paths are a loooot longer. The NWN2 companions at least have memorable lines, I'll never forget the "Oh, this water is so unnatural and deep, not like the swamp of dead people I grew up in" line. I'm going to go against the popular opinion and say that the first act of NWN2 is actually well-designed in terms of structure. A lot of the stuff in it is optional (like the graveyard, the lizardfolk caves, the ruined castle, etc.) while providing some good low level equipment (the mace that is on fire is the one I always remember), along with money to buy more equipment, there are cool magical items to buy from the inn and from the quartermaster in the fort. Yeah, the content itself isn't great, but the structure appeals to me a lot.
It was a morning star, and is something that appeared in NWN1.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Which class has the best content in the campaign?
As far as I know, only Monks, Paladins and Clerics have a special quest. Monks can become masters of the Sun Soul, while Paladins can receive the Holy Avenger and Clerics some kind of meh mace. You can't receive both the Monk and Cleric/Paladin quest if you are multiclassed, and I don't know what happens if you are a Paladin/Cleric multiclass, perhaps you get both the mace and the Holy Avenger. I think Wizards can get a bonus from the mage tower, but I'm not sure about that, and I'm pretty certain there isn't a quest associated with it.

Cael

Arcane
As far as I know, only Monks, Paladins and Clerics have a special quest. Monks can become masters of the Sun Soul, while Paladins can receive the Holy Avenger and Clerics some kind of meh mace. You can't receive both the Monk and Cleric/Paladin quest if you are multiclassed, and I don't know what happens if you are a Paladin/Cleric multiclass, perhaps you get both the mace and the Holy Avenger. I think Wizards can get a bonus from the mage tower, but I'm not sure about that, and I'm pretty certain there isn't a quest associated with it.
Mage tower just gives you access to wizard stuff like high power scrolls and magic items geared for mages. Same with the temple and monastery for their respective classes. You can also build some sort of guard house instead of the mage tower, and get a +1BAB training from Nasher's right hand man.

Cael

Arcane
Content is based more on which path you took to get into Blacklake. The thief path has a bit more content (extra quest in Act 3, IIRC, plus a couple of others in Act 1) as it gets both the guard path quests (but from the opposite angle) as well as a few of its own.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is there any way to rebind the action bar shortcuts?
apparently not, even checked the keymap.2da file
might poke it with a disassembler later to see if it's hardcoded or not

What are the shortcuts? I can't remember. But if you are talking about having to press Shift 5 or something, then you can sort of rebind things like that with AutoHotkey.

Codex Year of the Donut
IMO one of the bigger mistakes they made with the OC is dishing out so much EXP.

NWN2 having a really weak first act hurt it a lot more than pillows having a really weak final act.
I've tried to get into the OC a few times and always gave up because most of the first act is shit. By the time you hit the shitshow in pillows you just grit your teeth and finish it.

Also, I really didn't have any trouble with the orc caves so I'm not sure what the fuss is about that. I think I was in and out of both in about half an hour tops. The orcs randomly spawning from nowhere was stupid though.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think I'll need to play through the OC again eventually, I sort of missed what was going on with Ammon Jerro prior to meeting him tbh. I was a bit confused.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom