Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 OC was not bad as people make it out

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think they wanted to make the first act fun and homely like the start of LOTR with the hobbits in their little village. But it was so slow, so boring and so condescending.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think they wanted to make the first act fun and homely like the start of LOTR with the hobbits in their little village. But it was so slow, so boring and so condescending.
How is it slow? The only things you are required to do are the ruins near the starting village for the shard and somehow getting to the lizardfolk chieftain (either killing that lizard guy who can be a part of your party, or helping him out and diplomatically fixing the problem). You know you can skip like 70% of the content of act 1, right? You *don't* have to do the bandit camp, the graveyard and the cave near the inn you find Khelgar in, and you have a choice between doing the ruined castle or killing the lizards in their cave.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah ,even with it ,it is still bad. I was not joking when i said it is the worst ever made.

IMO one of the bigger mistakes they made with the OC is dishing out so much EXP.

Now that the dust has settled we can easily claim NWN2 had a better campaign than both pillows games COMBINED.
NWN2 having a really weak first act hurt it a lot more than pillows having a really weak final act.
I've tried to get into the OC a few times and always gave up because most of the first act is shit. By the time you hit the shitshow in pillows you just grit your teeth and finish it.

Also, I really didn't have any trouble with the orc caves so I'm not sure what the fuss is about that. I think I was in and out of both in about half an hour tops. The orcs randomly spawning from nowhere was stupid though.
The first act is not really bad. The only bad part of the game is the ork caves.

cutterjohn

Cipher
The bar was set VERY LOW for NWN2OC by NWN1OC.

NWN1's was an exercise in tedium, and let's just say that NWN2's was anything but memorable, but I seem to recall a gap in games to play at the time so I played through most of 2's OC, up until my desktop croaked and never moved on with it on a fairly decent 'gaming' notebook(core 2 P8600/Radeon 4850 god ATI drivers sucked balls) that I purchased as a stopgap until I built out a new desktop...

NWN1's IIRC I wently fairly far through although not percentagewise as far as 2's but eventually gave up due to boredom/inertia. Dialog probably killed it for me when skill checks would give identical results in MANY dialogs as non skillcheck options...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How is it slow?
Because I didn't know about Speedhack back then. Without that, every game is cancer. And no I didn't know about skipping anything, I played it when it came out, nobody knew anything :/

p.s. Eww Lilura agreed with me, hope I didn't catch something.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the perfect party

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And PoE doesn't have well written campaign or characters,

NWN2 certainly doesn't.

it doesn't have the trial part,

Actually, it does! And like NWN2, all outcomes lead to the same result (though Pillars at least changes an ending slide). :)

it doesn't have the D&D system but some authistic interpretation of it,

:hmmm:

it doesn't have any good dlc/expansions like Mask of the Betrayer,

There are a lot of fans of The White March part 2 and that last DLC of Deadfire's on the dex.

Also you could ditch your companions in nwn2,don't see why you put it as some positive for poe,since the poe2 companions are so bad that you would want to ditch them.

The difference between the two is that in Deadfire you can leave them and never hear from them ever again. In NWN2, these chumps are going to stay with you forever and appear in all those cutscenes to annoy you whether you like it or not (and I believe there are points in the story where having the githzerai cleric and/or Jerro in your party are mandatory). You can't replace them with mindless minions.

The orc caves = Endless Paths.

The Endless Paths aren't on the critical path, you can ignore every level except the first.

The NWN2 companions at least have memorable lines, I'll never forget the "Oh, this water is so unnatural and deep, not like the swamp of dead people I grew up in" line.

This is subjective. There are a lot of lines from PoE that I remember.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I think NWN2 OC is definitely more "memorable" than base PoE 1, and objectively better-written than PoE 2 (which isn't much a challenge as PoE 2's overall game writing is dreadful).

BTW, fun fact, the origins of the word 'nostalgia' are greek, and its original meaning explicitly referred to "the pain you feel from an old wound". Isn't that interesting.

Cael

Arcane

Amazing writing.

Neeshka is your typical easily distracted 18 year old teen. If you were expecting deep philosophical dialogue from her, you have got to be kidding. And doubly so if you expected the same from Qara, Khelgar, the gnome or Bishop.

That is why someone like Sand and Shandra stood out. They were just about the only adults in the whole menagerie.

Fairfax

Arcane
There are a lot of fans of The White March part 2 and that last DLC of Deadfire's on the dex.
Citation needed for "a lot". Also, unlike NWN2, the few users praising PoE DLCs already liked the base games in the first place. The handful of active users in the PoE2 thread are preaching to the converted.

Cael

Arcane
What is hilarious is that I don't even want the ones that betrayed me. I was insulting and wanting to kill Bishop from the very first second I saw him. Why the hell would I want to give him anything? As for Qara, the fact she outright refuses to see things any way but her own skewed, arrogant millennial feels way made me dump her by Act 2.

And there was Garius talking about me depriving them of things as if I should have given them nice things. Pfft! One of the more dissonant parts of the game.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Christ, is there one thread in this place where we dont all have to flex on how much we don't like PoE?

As for for the topic of the thread - I've tried several times to start a run but I can never make it past either the lizards or meeting up with the dwarf. I've always only given it a couple of hours though so if I persevere I might like it.

Also is it even possible to talk down that lizard man? I swear I've tried over a dozen times over the years and never succeeded, despite having high speech or diplomacy or whatever.

Cael

Arcane
Christ, is there one thread in this place where we dont all have to flex on how much we don't like PoE?

As for for the topic of the thread - I've tried several times to start a run but I can never make it past either the lizards or meeting up with the dwarf. I've always only given it a couple of hours though so if I persevere I might like it.

Also is it even possible to talk down that lizard man? I swear I've tried over a dozen times over the years and never succeeded, despite having high speech or diplomacy or whatever.
Which lizardmen? The one in the first dungeon where you found the first shard? Yes. The one in the castle? Yes. The ones in their lair? Yes. The ones holding Highcliff hostage in Act 3? Yes. The ones in the optional Swamp Cave? No.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, unlike NWN2, the few users praising PoE DLCs already liked the base games in the first place.
I utterly despised (and still despise) base game PoE, but I think WM is good and it's worth playing PoE just for it. I wouldn't replay it any time soon just for WM, though, since base game is carcinogenic.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Citation needed for "a lot". Also, unlike NWN2, the few users praising PoE DLCs already liked the base games in the first place. The handful of active users in the PoE2 thread are preaching to the converted.

Nah bro, I didn't like base PoE but White March was actually good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom