Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview NWN2 preview with Uncle Feargie at Hexus

Gromnir

Liturgist
if it ain't Chosen One in the sense of being a traditional Chosen One story, then it AIN'T a chosen one story. how stubborn is you folks willing to be? nwn2 ain't a pickle in the sense that it is a pickled friggn' cucumber neither, but no doubt if spaz or somebody told you it was you woulds continue to hang onto the notion for dear life.

happenstance... circumstances has involved you in and made you important to Powers seemingly beyond your control. you hate? great, but is NOT that obsidian is doing the Chosen One thing again. is no Destiny or Save the World, and not even seem to be Amazing Powhaz. nwn2 story as it stands is no more a Chosen One thing than is our crime witness scenario... fact that it is a sliver of sword in your fat arse instead not make no difference, 'cause it still ain't a Chosen One story in any traditional sense o' the words. if you gonna cast scorn and derision for using Chosen One cliche, then you probaly ought to know what the cliche is, eh?

jackasses

HA! Good Fun!

aboyd

Liturgist
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Gromnir.

Drakron

Arcane
NwN2 is set on the Forgotten Realms and we all know what THAT means, also its done by OE and OE previous track record is ... "save the world" stories (and no, PS:T does not go into that record), we might not get a tradicional chosen one but then again we end with a chosen one by other means ... consiidering NwN OC had a chosen one because the character was in "Neverwinter University for Retarded" and he was the only one that survived the "attack".

I dont know if the sword that is shoved inside the character vagina and/or penis gives some special powers, unlike KotOR they had free reins to royaly fuck up the d20 system in place in NwN2 they have to follow WotC guidelines with is a blessing and a curse (were they cannot fuck up the system, they cannot fix the WotC floppy disk rules.

Voss

Erudite
Of course, the problem isn't a 'chosen one' scenario. Its a lame ass plot hook thats roughly 20 minutes of effort serving in place of a story.

Additionally, according to one of the interviews the sword chunk does give 'special powahz', which is a lame ass piece of work.

It also, as I mentioned before, doesn't make sense given the spells and abilities available to a fairly powerful race. Given their resources and abilities this piece of shit masquerading as a plot item should work out like this: a year (or so) after the battle that inexplicably shattered this important artifact, a Githyanki raiding party shifts out of the astral plane, snatches the kid, kills his guardians, and later opens the brat up like a hooker's autopsy, and reassembles their sword. Done.

Finally... if the real story revolves around 'proving yourself to Neverwinter' and dealing with a threat from elsewhere (a certain Shadow King, perhaps), then this entire subplot is meaningless, extraneous and stupid. A gimmick, perhaps, cuz 'spechul powahz = sales?' Or at least a slam dunk...

LlamaGod

Cipher
I want to be a swordswallower in D&D.

Special powers from magic swords, here I come.

Nutcracker

Scholar
You might want to hang out for TES V then...on the advice of the fans i heard Bethesda were looking at adding a "Cockswallower" class to supplement the existing restrictive trio of Fighter, Mage, Thief.

Drakron

Arcane
PS:T did not had such story, unfortunatly PS:T performance was so poor its not going to be used as a template.

Daggerfall also lacked a "save the world" story were the end result was getting a poweful artifact and decide who faction would get it, even if you give it to the King of Worms (that is the most "evil" option) he does not conquer Tarmiel with it and neither does the others.

FF X story was not saving the world either, it was to break a circle.

There is the potencial to get away from "save the world" crap but everyone is trying to be "epic" and so we get to save the world ... again.

kris

Arcane
What you say only proves that pretty much everyone went for the "save the world", whether just a percentage of thw world was saved doesn't really matter in this context.

I would say that it was stupid giving away this part of the story from Obsidian. They could have made it much more compelling if the player didn't know why he was hunted. Of course it would still make no sense as to why they always send warriors weaker than the character against him :D and don't tell me I need to play the game to know that. ;)

elander_

Arbiter
kris said:
What you say only proves that pretty much everyone went for the "save the world", whether just a percentage of thw world was saved doesn't really matter in this context.

Not everyone. Only the passionate bitches who do games mostly for the money. Not saying it's not possible to do an original save the world plot but this is something we have already seen before a lot of times.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Drakron said:
PS:T did not had such story, unfortunatly PS:T performance was so poor its not going to be used as a template.

Daggerfall also lacked a "save the world" story were the end result was getting a poweful artifact and decide who faction would get it, even if you give it to the King of Worms (that is the most "evil" option) he does not conquer Tarmiel with it and neither does the others.

FF X story was not saving the world either, it was to break a circle.

There is the potencial to get away from "save the world" crap but everyone is trying to be "epic" and so we get to save the world ... again.

KOTOR2 didn't have a 'save the world' story, either. It started with a 'save your ass' hook and you had to help stop an invasion on one planet, but for the most part you were just playing Kreia's little game.

kris

Arcane
themadhatter114 said:
KOTOR2 didn't have a 'save the world' story, either. It started with a 'save your ass' hook and you had to help stop an invasion on one planet, but for the most part you were just playing Kreia's little game.

It DID have a "save the world/universe" plotline, although the focus wasn't that much at that. I can explain that plotline with one name "Darth Nihilus".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom