Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2- Putting my foot in it.

Voss

Erudite
So, ladies, gentlemen and ESF refugees, I present my initial take on NWN2, based on the first 6 hours of play. I picked it up despite my misgivings on the 'story', mainly from the preview that mentioned the improved interface. I also got it from D2D, which is having issues with the patch, (Fucking atari), but that will supposedly be fixed tomorrow, so... for the time being, annoying, but whatever.

First, this game is a resource consuming bitch. And a graphics whore. My system checks in at all of the recommended levels except the graphics card, which meets minimum requirements, but not recommended. At a high graphics resolution the game fucking crawls, and my graphics card screams obscenities at me. At the low setting, with shadows off, it isn't bad, but feels a bit sluggish compared to other games. Definitely playable however. The graphics are pretty, and are pretty decent even at low. But you can definitely tell that graphics were a major investment area, and on the higher graphics settings it feels like the system is laboring at them.

Another thing that feels slow is pathfinding. I can visibly see the character hesitate as the system works out a path for the character, maybe a beat/beat and a half.

On the other hand, there were a fair number of characters running around the tutorial area, many of whom were running around doing things, and several of the early battles involve 20-25 characters.

The interface is a nice step up from NWN 1. The modes are selected on and off in the lower right of the screen, and I haven't noticed them turning off if you do something else like they did in NWN 1. Standard numeric hotkeys along the bottom, with several layers that you can go through. You can throw your spells up on a seperate menu on the left of the screen, which is odd, but functional.
The nested radial menu is gone. A right click brings up a short list of commands (including ordering NPCs, which is important later). A lot of the annoying glow shit from NWN1 is gone. hitting the Z key highlights objects you can interact with in some way.

Camera modes. There are several. Top down, chase, free (which drove me nuts) and drive. Top down and drive in particular seem workable to me. Occasionally clipping problems, and interiors can get finicky as you move from one room to another. WASD works for moving the character around. Whee.

Voice acting is bland. Some of the VAs are very wooden, and theres the random assortment of accents, which actively annoys me. Particularly since you start out in an isolated as fuck community. Why the hell does one guy have a southern US accent, and one kid have a British Cockney-ish thing? Everyone else is fairly generic.

Tutorial. Fear it. It... isn't too horrible. Its skippable. Keyboard commands are not in dialog with fantasy peeps (No, the elf is not telling you to hit the Z key on your keyboard), its in a hintbox, seperate, and, as a bonus, you can turn the tips off. It also sets up a fairly valid in-game premise for why the character is doing these things. If you skip it, however, you are suddenly bounced to level 3, and the crisis starts up almost as soon as you leave the room.

The important bits-

Roleplaying. Its early, but several things have come up.
1- Obsidian has learned something from other games. Your foster father (don't ask me why they went this route) is a bit more logical than Gorion in BG1. At least he's an elf, so there aren't glaring logical issues of a human raising an elf child thats older than he is. Fake poppa is heavily annoying, however. Because he is Clearly Hiding Imporant Info that Will Bite You in the Ass Later. You can call him on it (actually, you can even threaten to beat it out of him), but he isn't going to tell you. Neener, Neener.

2- However, they have not learned other things from their predecessors. Asking for money = teh evils! Sigh. Healing a guy you don't like so he can help defend the village = teh good! Sorry, that was pragmatism folks (plus I had a quest to gather militia members- that fucking wasn't altruism in any sense) . However, there are situations that are clearly evil, even in the extra money area. In on case, I demanded cash to save a woman's husband, scammed more out of him, and then intimidated the shit out of him for yet more. I can see this one as being a bad person. Some of the others are just 'Do I get a reward?' Your alignment has shifted 1 point toward Evil Dicks.

3- The major NPCs have distinct personalities, and react to you differently, and in your home village at least, react to your background, and I think in some cases class. The head of the village militia didn't like me (my character has the bully background) and gave me some shit about being a trouble maker, and pretty much passed on helping me before I started off on my journey out of the village. The village priest also made some noise about the village not trusting me, and the way it was phrased implied it was because I was a warlock. Kinda cool. We'll see if that continues.
Your foster father is a jerk, and very wooden, but it is suggested by other NPCs that that is intentional. Not entirely sure it worked for me, but at least they tried to justify it.

4- The opening NPCs are a bit dull, but do have some background to them. Mr fighter is a local boy, and is pretty much set up to be in the militia and farm. This actually gets conveyed to you over the tutorial and the beginning of the first chapter. Miss mage has a few quirks as well. They aren't completely blank slates as the NDA-breaker suggested. The first real NPC worried me at first, as it seemed like I was being railroaded into taking him along. But after we left the immediate situation, some dialog about journeying together came up. I didn't refuse so I'm not entirely sure it isn't a faux choice, but I felt a hell of a lot better. I was annoyed, however, that a minute after meeting me, he immediately knew that the baddies that burst into the inn were looking for me. I dislike it when NPCs spontaneously channel the designer's knowledge.

6- Subplots and side-quests abound. I was impressed that a major concern was expressed during the tutorial, though it isn't followed up on immediately due to the sudden crisis. Something is clearly up, and not all of it revolves around you. If I'm reading the implications right, you're a side note to the main goings-on, though clearly your importance will increase as you get more involved. It has BG like side areas where you can just go exploring. On the down side, the phat loot is clearly in evidence. 20 or so magical items have already passed through my hands.

7- Social checks are fairly common, and some stat checks have come up. I've deduced my foster father isn't telling me shit through a wisdom checks, convinced some lizard-fuckers that i was the incarnation of their bloody god, intimidated bandits into not fucking with me. I've a decent charisma, and some skills in bluff and intimidate. I still fail some checks, however. Particularly diplomacy checks for extra cash.

NPCs. In straight fights, NPCs do OK on their own. You can set things for them through the character panel. If they cast spells, use items, feats, etc. And if they go overboard on such things or not. You can also issue commands, as I mentioned before, by right clicking and bring up a short command menu. This is fairly important as they are still a bit stupid. My companions charged across 4 seperate (visible) traps to get at some skeletons. They went down (and of course, since its unconsciousness and not death like Kotor) got up at 1 hp after the fight, even though one was smacked down with a 20 point critical. They also do a bit of the 'undecided dance' running back and forth between enemies. Very bad at times. In my case, I was lobbing blasts at some bandits, the fighter and rogue had charged in. The fighter finished off his target and came trotting back to me. The rogue was quickly cut down by the other 6 bandits. Oops.
Oh, also like KotoR, your party members match your experience points. (not your level, due to ECL issues). They've also taking weird ass paths, drawing extra monsters into battles.

Challenge- the game is a bit rougher the NWN 1. Larger groups of enemies, and in some cases, there are actual strategies and tactics involved. In a bandit layer I was a bit stunned to end up in a very serious situation. I attacked a small group of 4 bandits, and suddenly more started pouring out of nearby rooms (and from other rooms behind me). What was going to be a fairly easy fight turned into a complete wipe as I ended up facing 4 times as many opponents (with magical support). It was a bit much for 3 level 5 characters. Especially since my character misses. A lot. Which is odd since I'm making touch attacks and don't need much more than a 7 or 8 to hit. But 1s and 3s come up a lot. Damage seems a bit below average too, but I may just be on an unlucky streak.

Other comments.
Load times are slow. And happen every time you transition between areas.
Spelling issues come up in places- dialogue and the load screen tips.

Summary- So far it isn't bad. Combat is fairly fun, and in what almost seems a unique experience these days, actually challenging. I haven't gotten to far into the 'story'. I still think it will be a bit stupid (at least the parts involving the PC), but some of the sub plots may save the game. It remains to be seen if the NPCs will be as reactive to the character as some of the home village NPCs were.

There is some railroading, and use of some stupid plot gimmicks. (Just tell me about my secret history, already, so I can get on with the fucking plot).

The crafting system seems slightly annoying, though I've barely tested it out. But I've already got an Arcanum tech character's 'bagful of random shit that might be useful in a recipe sometime'.

Voss

Erudite
Basically, exactly the recommended specs for the game.
3 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, blah, blah.
Except the graphics card, which is a Geforce 6200, which fell off the recommended list at some point during late development. According to some sytem test program that someone posted on the NWN2 forums, its just shy of the recommended level.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"which is having issues with the patch, (Fucking atari),"

Actually, it's 'fuckin' Obsidian'. Supposedly, according to posts on the BIO baords, it was soemthing onb the developer's (Obsidian) end that screwed up the patch.

Overall, nice opening impressions. Too bad about the phAt lewt; but I called it well before release.

Can't wait 'til I get the game later today! :D

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks for that first impressions voss.

Doesn't sound too bad actually and got me interested. No big surprises for me, ecept the fact that combat is challenging (WTF?! I didnt think this was possible anymore in todays games)
I guess the big question is if some of the good roleplaying aspects you mentioned will be present in later stages of the game.

Voss

Erudite
Really, I hold all 3 responsible. Someone should have checked to make sure that when they claimed the D2D version would work with the patches, it actually did.

The phat loot wasn't all that surprising either, but I was taken aback at some fairly pricey stuff I got early on. (In one case, in a random camp of 3 lizardfolk, there was a crate with ~700 gold). And this was on a non-quest (or side quest) related map.

On the other hand, while the merchants have some decent items, I'm not even close to excessively outfitting my party. Its just a plethora of healing items and +1 weapons.

I'll see about the RP aspects. I've wrapped up for the night- after the mega-bandit ambush, I lost a bit of progress and will probably try to level a bit and get another character in the party if I can. I felt wildly over-run. Particularly when the fighter NPC tore into a side room and I got a message (scrolling through the insane number of attack rolls):
Wizard casts an unknown spell.
<Character> takes 19 lightning damage.
<Character> dies.

At that point I started scrambling for the exit, as I had at least 8 bandits after my ass. But I've got a couple other areas to explore, including a graveyard that I had to withdraw from (ran out of healing supplies).

But yeah. Not all the fights are challenging, and there is still some limit on the monsters aggro-radius, but I've had a good dozen encounters that have widened to include nearby enemies, and times I was just in over my head. At one point, I was alone surrounded by half a dozen undead (who had dropped the rest of my party) and was clawing at healing items. Luckily I had a one use item that dropped a mass cure serious wounds... positive energy harms undead, so they dropped, and I survived.

Its also worth noting a couple things in regard to combat. One, you automatically get max HP. It isn't as unbalancing as you might expect. With larger fights, the odds catch up to you. Second, although the fights are challenging, they are a lot of fun. They took the route of having multiple opponents of reasonable strength rather than one uber-critter (at least so far), and that works out better. You feel like you can accomplish something, but you are still in danger, if only from the volume of attacks.

I should also mention that despite fighting 8, or even 15 monsters at once, there aren't any additional slowdowns to the game. And at least half a dozen fights have had over 20 individuals involved. (Several were in the tutorial, where you have allies).

It may ease up a bit once my party gets decent armor (my character's AC is 20, but its a high dex halfling, so that isn't hard), and I get a feel for reigning in and commanding the NPCs.

Data4

Arcane
Regarding the loot, how do merchant prices compare to what you find? Without knowing that, I'm inclined to think perhaps the value of a gold piece is lower than what we usually think. Say, for instance, you find that 700 gold and go to a merchant only to find a sack cloth shirt, or whatever, is 300 gold.

Or am I being a bit too optimistic, here? Still, I don't call that a dealbreaker, so...

-D4

Twinfalls

Erudite
Great first impressions Voss, thankyou.

I haven't played NWN1, so can you just tell me how KOTORish it is in feel, overall. Like on a 1->10 scale, with either Kotor at 1 or something (leaving aside the setting, obviously).

Voss

Erudite
No, the pricing is roughly along D&D standards. You sell things for less than you buy them, of course, but a +1 weapon will cost you 1300-1500 gold, a normal chain shirt is around 100, etc.

I'd have to double check, but the prices look more or less the same as they were in NWN 1. It isn't too bad yet. I could probably buy 1 or 2 +1 items (depending on type), and spread them around the party, but the gold is already starting to accumulate. (And if the items I'd found had been slightly different I'd be better off. As it was, no one could use a magical kukri or katana).

Texas Red

Whiner
Are you out of the tutorial? Is the next chapter the Neverwinter city?

Voss

Erudite
I am out of the tutorial. Chapter 1 is (so far), Dealing with and unexpected crisis and the Journey to Neverwinter. It starts up after a day at the Village's annual festival (which is essentially the tutorial).
Things happen, a crisis ensues, and you are sent forth, on a mysterious errand because your foster father won't tell you shit.

And so far, by the by, I have collected one piece of a multi-part item. (Which definitely has two parts, probably 3, and likely a few more than that). Shockingly, it may not only have 4 parts.

Twinfalls. It has some Kotor-ish things. If your npcs fall in battle, they are unconscious until after the fight (theres a bit of a delay). Then they stand back up at 1 hp. (At which point you have to heal them manually. The party members personalities feel a little Kotorish. They haven't annoyed me yet, but the second NPC is likely to annoy at least some people.

There is also an influence system for the NPCs. So far I've gained a point with the fighter, and lost a point with the rogue. I don't really want to spoil things, but the influence gain and loss was based heavily on their personalities, not so much their class or alignment. Its easy to tell what the first NPC wants from you, though his personal goal (and reason for going to Neverwinter) is a little odd. Or at least, being done for odd reasons.

Someone is going to have to try to ditch the NPCs too. the introduction of the first felt a little railroaded- but there did seem to be an option to ditch him. I did feel like I could have left the second to die if I had wanted. However, due to the fact that game is actually challenging, it would take a braver person than I to try to solo (at least, without cheats or a pre-leveled character)

I can't really give you a numerical scale for Kotorishness. It doesn't have stupid amnesia plots or simply not knowing your own background. (There clearly is a mystery about you, but your personal history is very grounded in the pissant village you start in. Your tutorial companions are clearly meant to be childhood friends, and you've relationships with all the named NPCs in the village). It doesn't look like you can swap out NPCs on the fly to pick a lock or anything, either.

Expect a lot of combat, because it is D&D. And random (but scheduled, from a meta view) attacks by the baddies seeking... whatever.

Oh, and there are apparently random encounters at times while travelling between areas. I haven't seen any sign of Kotorish gimmicky mini-games either.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Well, given particularly the side-quest potential you've mentioned, it sounds overall not as railroaded as Kotor, which was the principle reason to hate that series. You will no doubt get some emo bullshit from your party members however. The cliched southern yankee/cockney accents in the village are a fucking stupid bit of JRPG aping - are these things mandated by the publisher? Christ almighty.

Anyway, the less kotor the better, it sounds almost worth checking out. How open are the areas?

jeansberg

Liturgist
Thanks for providing the most legible first impressions so far. :D

A couple of question, though. What difficulty setting are you playing at, and what are the differences between difficulty settings?

aboyd

Liturgist
jeansberg, good question. I was wondering that too. I've heard that "Hardcore" is the mode that tries to follow the D&D rules as precisely as possible. In other words, it's pretty difficult. It sounds like that's what Voss is playing, but Voss didn't mention a difficulty switch. It would be very interesting to hear that the game is difficult at the normal setting. I am very poor at games, so if Voss is really playing at the default setting, I'll likely have to set it to "super easy" just to survive.

WittyName

Scholar
Thanks for the insight. Looks pretty promising although I'll probably have to cave-in and get a new system to play it (mine being almost three years old).

Nael

Arcane
Thanks for the review Voss. Looks to be stacking up pretty much how I expected except for the graphics end of it. I read that in the PC Format UK review as well and noticed that they listed the *requirement* on the GPU end to be a card with 512mb of ram! That seems a bit ridiculous for a requirement, but we'll see. I'm hoping my 7800GT w/256MB can handle at least medium-high settings. I'm not really expecting it to be able to handle ultra-high :)

I'm just sittin here in my apt waitin for UPS to show up so I'll edit this post once it arrives and I check it out for myself.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Very promising. I'll have to pick it up sooner than I expected.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Sounds interesting, but the system reqs sounds daunting! Any given reason for them being so high considering the game contains both loading on new areas and nothing spectaculary graphicwise?

jeansberg

Liturgist
Neverwinter Nights 2 System Requirements

Recommended:
- 3+ GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
- 1+ GB System RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT series or higher video card (or equivalent ATI card)

Minimum System Requirements:
- Windows XP
- 512MB System RAM
- 2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
- 128MB Direct3D compatible video card with DirectX 9.0c compatible driver (must support shader model 2.0)
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
- 4.6GB free hard disk space
- DirectX 9.0c (included)
- DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
- Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework for toolset (included)
- Broadband connection for multiplayer online play
- Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Cards:
- ATI Radeon X1900 series
- ATI Radeon X1800 series
- ATI Radeon X1600 series
- ATI Radeon X1300 series
- ATI Radeon X850 series
- ATI Radeon X800 series
- ATI Radeon X700 series
- ATI Radeon X600 series
- ATI Radeon X300 series
- ATI Radeon 9800 series
- ATI Radeon 9600 series
- ATI Radeon 9500 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6500 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 series
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 series
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 series
Are you sure you're not thinking about the recommended requirements?

7800s are the best cards on the fucking market. Bar stewards. How do you expect it to run on a 6800GS?

As for the game itself... sounds pretty decent, and no doubt it'll be a step up from the original. I think I was the only person in the world who actually liked the radial menus, but meh.

Wait, looking at the screenshots... waypoints have a Quick Launch mode in the toolset? Excellent. Let the real modders harp on about added scripting abilities, I'm lazy and am glad to see this. Quick testing ahoy.

suibhne

Erudite
My copy should be shipping today, so I hope it's here by the weekend. I'm expecting to run it at a lower res than most games, but I can deal with that.

Nael

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:

7800s are the best cards on the fucking market. Bar stewards. How do you expect it to run on a 6800GS?

What about 7900s?

Monolith

Prophet
Nael said:
What about 7900s?
AFAIK, it depends on the card. Some are better than 7800s, some worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom