Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN2 review at Worthplaying

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.worthplaying.com>Worthplaying</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=38314&mode=thread&order=0>review</a> of <a href=http://www.atari.com/nwn2/>NWN 2</a>, giving it 9/10 and the editor's choice award, while referring to the official campaign (aka the actual game) as a sample of what the toolkit can do and making mandatory Oblivion references.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Combat is really about clicking the right place at the right time, which makes it a sometimes frantic and confusing brawl, where it's not always apparent what is going on, and why. That may stem from other problems in a completely different area, though, like the graphics.</blockquote>?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Much has been made of NWN2's ambitious new graphic engine, with beautiful foliage, multi-layered sky, and "height-generated" buildings in the outside environments, whatever exactly that means. It also pointed out that system requirements would be rather lofty, with only the upper echelons of the gaming community even able to get near it. I do hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but I've logged hours here, and I simply don't see it. There is nothing here that's above and beyond places we've been before, even in games like KOTOR from two years ago, and if this is supposed to compete with Oblivion, then there will be much sadness in Mudville, for the mighty engine has scored at best a double on an wild throw to first.</blockquote>Where do they get these morons?
<br>
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
1. Combat plays pretty much exactly as NWN1, and that game was not about 'clicking wildly'. LOL What a maroon.

2. The graphics look gorgeous overall. However, forget comapring it to Oblivion. of recent releases, FF12 SQUASHES it, and its on the ancient PS2.

WOWSERS!

P.S. This game is a sequel to NWN1!

LONG LIVE NWN SERIES!!!!

suibhne

Erudite
That passage doesn't sound so ridiculous to me, VD. The only thing I don't get about "Oblivion = graphics paragon" is that the game looks like ass out of the box on most (non-$3000) machines.

Anyway, I don't see the applicability of the first part if there's a pause button, and I thought there was a pause button...?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>Combat is really about clicking the right place at the right time, which makes it a sometimes frantic and confusing brawl, where it's not always apparent what is going on, and why. That may stem from other problems in a completely different area, though, like the graphics.</blockquote>?

So... he's too stupid to dig out the pause button, or has NWN2 done away with that? And I heard something about response time being an issue... before the patch at least? Maybe that's what he's inferring there. Actually a valid complaint in that case...

Solaris

Scholar
Jeez, I wish these reviewers would stop with this Oblivion benchmarking crap.

Other than that it sounds promising. I'm sort of looking forward to grabbing my copy on friday. I still have doubts about the combat thing tho. Guess it'll be one of those things that you either love or hate....not too fussed tho, if the game has good depth in other areas.

Voss

Erudite
Pause is there.

The only thing I've noticed with a response time is pathfinding is a touch slow. Combat really isn't much of an issue, except indoors with certain camera views.

Someone post a good screenshot or two from Oblivion. I think the NWN2 graphics are great, if you can run them high, and good even if you can't.
Its way above the original graphics wise, and several steps past kotor 1 or 2.

VenomByte

Scholar
suibhne said:
That passage doesn't sound so ridiculous to me, VD. The only thing I don't get about "Oblivion = graphics paragon" is that the game looks like ass out of the box on most (non-$3000) machines.

Anyway, I don't see the applicability of the first part if there's a pause button, and I thought there was a pause button...?

Oblivion isn't *that* amazing even on a $3000 machine...at least, not without a significant amount of .ini tweaks/texture mods...

I for one, would prefer games companies concentrate less on how shiny and detailed all their blades of grass are, and instead focus on having them actually draw at further than ten feet away without fear of the FPS dropping.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Its way above the original graphics wise,"

LOL better than a 4 year old game. Damning with faint praise. I think NWN2's graphics are solid. Not great; just solid. And, it having better graphics than either KOTOR is debateable...

EEVIAC

Erudite
I don't know what he's talking about with "lofty system requirements" if Voss can run it on a $100 card that's over two years old.

Voss

Erudite
Not bad. At the high end, I think they'd be pretty close.

Eeviac, to be fair I've got the graphics settings turned all the way down, and at that level they aren't as purty as those oblivion shots. So if you really want the graphics package, you need some serious shit in the graphics slot.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Even all the way up, the graphics aren't 'top of the line'. They're good; but not award winning. That's reserved for FF12.

Inziladun

Magister
Even all the way up, the graphics aren't 'top of the line'. They're good; but not award winning. That's reserved for FF12.

Ok Volourn, ignoring the JPEG artifacts on both screenies, you're honestly saying This is better than this?

I'm not claiming NWN2 are top of the line graphics, they arn't, but they're sure as hell better than FFXII. FFXII may have a excellent art direction going it's way and it makes short work of all the PS2 games out there, but it suffers from the poor hardware the PS2 has to offer and it shows.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yes.. Have you played both games? It's no contest. FF12 wins hands down.

Inziladun

Magister
Volourn said:
Yes.. Have you played both games? It's no contest. FF12 wins hands down.

Yes, I own both games. FFXII is much better in an artistic sense, but NWN2 beats it in pure graphical power. Not sure how I can explain this to you, other than saying all of FFXII's textures are low res. I am, though, quite impressed that Square managed to get so much out of the PS2.

If you got a machine to play NWN2 in all it's glory, just compare them yourself, side by side. Zoom in on FFXII and see how poorly it scales compared to NWN2.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Inziladun said:
Ok Volourn, ignoring the JPEG artifacts on both screenies, you're honestly saying This is better than this?
Well, I think that clearly settles it. Final Fantasy XXIIVMMCCDHJAXAWLOLZ wins. Any game that can put a smiley face icon above every character and get away with it must have awesome graphics.

suibhne

Erudite
Elwro, go ahead and post a screenie of the view from the sewers right after you get out of prison, with no .ini tweaks or add-on textures and with a playable framerate (25+).

I eventually got Oblivion to look very nice on a rig with very similar specs to yours, relying on tips from ESF modders, and I'm quite happy with the results. But I said "out of box" above, and the default .ini and shipping landscape textures look really bad with any wide-open vista.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If you got a machine to play NWN2 in all it's glory, just compare them yourself, side by side."

I do, and I have.FF ismuchbetter.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
suibhne said:
Elwro, go ahead and post a screenie of the view from the sewers right after you get out of prison, with no .ini tweaks or add-on textures and with a playable framerate (25+).
OK, I somehow missed the "out of the box" part. I took the screens yesterday, and about 2 months ago I've tweaked the INI file as much as I could. I also forgot that I used the high quality texture mod :) So yeah, sorry. But the game runs really decently after the tweaking.
Funny you mention the view after exiting the sewers. When I played it for the first time, I thought the game looked decent indoors with the default options. But when I exited the sewers... the game looked worse, and I mean it, than Morrowind. It turned out that Oblivion thought 320x200 with everything turned off was ideal for my PC.

And I didn't tell you that to make the forest screens I had to wait a few seconds for all the objects to pop in :) But it's really playable on such settings, I've played it for quite some time...

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Whipporowill said:
What matters most to me is the art direction they seem to have taken with NWN2. I just can't take the clown costumes, turbans and moustaches of NWN... horrible, horrible.

The lack of "wizard pajamas" is a good start. NWN2 looks decent compared to the overall presentation of recent games. NWN2's closeups are better than those in Oblivion (in which every NPC had some horrid kind of acne), and similarly, the draw distance doesn't degrade into N64 nostalgia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom