Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion dev diary and screens

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Foamhead said:
I liked Baldurs Gate 2, I think it was better then Fallout. I liked all the jokes and pop culture references in Fallout 2. I liked KotOR and it's sequel to a lesser degree.
Why didn't you like Kotor as much as the Fallouts and Baldur's Gate?

Careful, less your reply forces you to start taking the games too seriously. ;)

Oblivion looks good. If Bethesda really have improved on the other aspects of the game as much as they reckon they have, it'll certainly be worth it. Hopefully they can keep improving another couple of notches after that for Fallout.

On the other hand, if they've screwed more of it up then they've fixed, then I reserve the right to complain even more loudly. Then I'm calling the lynch mob.

Foamhead

Educated
I didn't like KotOR as much because I perfer nonliner games. KotOR wasn't as bad as the Final Fantasy games but more freedom would have been nice. I was also disappointed that the Carth romance had no real reasolution. Bioware has a fine tradition of giving female gamers inferior romances and I suspect it will continue in their next game, Jade Empire. I don't know if the people at Bioware are homophobic or not but writing female romances should have the same amount of investment as the male ones. I also think that your dialogue options should have changed peoples alignment, such as making mission reject her brother and being more selfish or when you make Juhani kill her former slavemaster. When this feature was not implimented in a game that screams for it is beyond me.

Also the ending blew

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
First, Baldur's Gate was just as linear, if not more so, as KOTOR. The only freedom you had in Baldur's Gate was choosing which area to go to, which is the same thing you could do in KOTOR. Other than that, it was a "follow the story as it progresses game" just like KOTOR was.

Second, you should try KOTOR2. It does a better job with the female romance part AND you can influence your buddies. Also, depending on if you go light or dark, you can get different NPCs.

Edit: Oh, also, in KOTOR you could play an evil bastard if you wanted to. They totally did not allow for any decent roleplaying of chaotic evil characters in BG, and if you did, it messed the game up.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
yeah but between Atton and Darth Maul Walken bothering me to tell me they could see the power corrupting me I felt like I was using some shareware x-box game and had to keep ponying up 5 for the license.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Edit: Oh, also, in KOTOR you could play an evil bastard if you wanted to. They totally did not allow for any decent roleplaying of chaotic evil characters in BG, and if you did, it messed the game up.

You could roleplay an evil character in BG, it just wasn't as well planned. There were many situations to be evil, and some rewards as well (even if there weren't rewards, the feeling of just having royally screwed someone outweighted the fiscal rewards). There were repercussions as well. Kill the noble ranger in the woods and his brother will hunt you. Be an all-round bastard and there will be bounty hunters after you (though unfortunately you can just enter a temple and up your rep with money... duh?).

The problem is that good or evil actions did not matter to the game's story development. You'd still had to contend with many situations the same way wheter you were good or evil (Angelo, the bandits, Sarevok, Scar, etc). But as you said, too evil could mess the game up. Though I suspect the reason the game got FUBAR more often than now was due to code spaghetti. I still remember not being able to start the cerimony at the Duchal Palace, for whatever reason, due to some bug. Post-patch also.

Reklar

Liturgist
The thing that surprises me most about real roleplaying potential in a cRPG and what game turns out to be a favorite is Fallout vs Baldur's Gate. There were actually more playing differences in Fallout for females (from what I've noticed anyway) than in Baldur's Gate, yet Fallout only seems to be popular with male gamers. Perhaps it's just the setting, since statistically women prefer fantasy over sci-fi, but I don't always believe statistics. Has anyone met a woman gamer who preferred Fallout to Baldur's Gate?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Foamhead

Educated
Baldurs Gate 2 was not as liner as KotOR. You could solve the quests in multiple ways, you had huge amounts of party members to chose from, romances if you had a penis and A romance if you had a vagina, (gee thanks Bioware). You could join guilds and the quests changed depending on your guild. it goes on and on.

Since Fallout is about as hardcore as a crpg gets and women don't tend to play rpgs as much at adventure or puzzle games I am not suprised that few women have played it.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I wasn't talking about BG2, I was talking about the first one, hence calling it BG. :P BG2 was way better than the first one, to a point. They both weren't as great as people made them out to be in my eyes, but then again, I just wasn't too happy with their choice of setting. Still, I enjoyed the second one more than the first.

Foamhead

Educated
The only feature they left out of BG2 was the ability to make a sex sandwitch with Jaheria and Viconia. There is plenty of Baalspawn to go around baby. I can't believe the developers made such an oversight.

I also learned in the first Fallout that there is no way to seduce Tandi. I risked my life to save her and all I get is "Thanks".

Cockteasing slut.

Reklar

Liturgist
Well, considering Tandi is supposed to be about 10-12 years old, I'm not surprised they left that "option" out of the game, Foamhead. She might be little older than that, but I doubt it considering she's already ridiculously old in Fallout 2, which is set 80 years later.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Tandi should never have been in Fallout 2... should have been her HOT HOT DAUGHTER WITH HUGE BOOBS that you could sleep with .... would have generated HUGE sales and saved Black isle Studios! :oDDD

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Well, the least tandy could've done was give you a blowjob or something. And not the "one lick, two lick, done" kind, I'm talking the wet sloppy kind.

Reklar

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Tandi was almost the same age as the Wanderer. She was 16.

I'll take your word for it since I haven't played the game for awhile. Even so, my characters were usually in their mid-twenties, so I never gave it much thought. So she was nearly 100 in Fallout 2 then? :shock:

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
yes... which is why she never should have been in Fallout 2.

holy mother of buddha my sentence structure is funky.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
The temple of trials still gives me nightmares.. and New Reno still makes my crotch itch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom