Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Oblivion official patch released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Spazmo, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The first official patch for Bethesda's Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is out, bringing the game up to version 1.1.511. <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patchnotes6.htm>Patch notes here</a> and <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm>downloads here</a>. It appears to be the final version of a beta patch that was released some time ago.

^ Top  
  2. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    Whatever, my browser's being weird.

^ Top  
  3. Sovy Kurosei Erudite

Sovy Kurosei
    What the...? Am I reading this right? Bethesda is saying that they are purposely reducing the performance for ATI Crossfire cards?

^ Top  
  4. Levski 1912 Scholar

Levski 1912
    Obey Bethesda, thy Lord and Master!

^ Top  
  5. Mefi Erudite

Mefi
    waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
    I'd like to see a screenshot by someone who has one of the cards which require the new 'ultra low graphics' settings to compare with those Russian screenshots which were from an alpha build (or so we were told).

^ Top  
  6. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Yes, that was already in the beta patch.

^ Top  
  7. dongle Scholar

dongle
    Oh yeah. Forgot about those.

I just flipped through the gallery of ag.ru shots that the Codex has thoughtfully preserved for us. They are a very accurate representation of what the final game actually looks like. One NPC in the final shot has hands that have messed up textures, but that's about it. I don't think they have it set to show the far distant mountains, at least we don't see any in the shots. That's a standard in-game setting, not a sooper-sekret .ini tweak like MSFD made it out to be. In any case the distant mountains look like ass in the final game anyway. I honestly don't see anything else that looks un-finished or un-optimized in that whole gallery compared to what I see in-game. My card was detected at ultra-high-quality, for what it's worth.

^ Top  
  8. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Here's an even more accurate representation of what the final game looks like

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  9. AdrianWerner Novice

AdrianWerner
    ermm...hmmm...

what is wrong? An Oblivion news post on RPGCodex without any bashing? No witty irony? No sarcasm? :(

You let me down, I DEMAND RECOMPENSATION of some sort ;)

^ Top  
  10. don_tomaso Liturgist

don_tomaso
    I think it has something to do with avoiding crashes.. Oblivion is apperently a complex game and if it doesnt have full compability with ATI, they reduce the pressure on the card to avoid crashes, and so getting less complaints about the game crashing... or maybe Im just making this up.. I dont know really

^ Top  
  11. Kendar Novice

Kendar
    Haha ! Let me rephrase :

^ Top  
  12. CrusaderTemplar Liturgist

CrusaderTemplar
    lets see, a 1mb patch and it takes 20 minutes to apply....

^ Top  
  13. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    It doesn't take that long. It installed on my computer in 3 minutes.
    Apparently, it's different from other patches in that it only replaces the changed data, not the whole changed files. That's why it's smaller and takes longer to install.

^ Top  
  14. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    OK

They actualy gave themselves the trouble to make Oblivion quests even more retarded than before.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)