Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion played with lead designer Ken Rolston

Sentinel

Arcane
quite possibly the worst designed Triple A game ever released.

I have no idea how anyone ever greenlit that game breaking level scaling system.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Back in the day, Rolston wrote the excellent Stormbringer RPG, and then Paranoia . . . and then he went to vidjya gaemz . . . Morrowind to Oblivion and finally to Kingdoms of Amalur.
:despair:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Back in the day, Rolston wrote the excellent Stormbringer RPG, and then Paranoia . . . and then he went to vidjya gaemz . . . Morrowind to Oblivion and finally to Kingdoms of Amalur.
Ken Rolston also contributed reviews of RPG products to Dragon Magazine for several years, and he wrote a few D&D supplements for TSR, including Lankhmar: City of Adventure and GAZ7: The Northern Reaches. +M

In fact, Rolston's Northern Reaches contains ancient Dwemer Gnomish underground ruins in which can be found technological marvels.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
quite possibly the worst designed Triple A game ever released.

I have no idea how anyone ever greenlit that game breaking level scaling system.

Oh come on. Oblivion is not well-designed but if it's anywhere close to the worst AAA design then you've been living in a world of rainbows and fairytales. Have you heard about Daikatana, Master of Orion 3, SimCity, No Man's Sky, Might & Magic 9? Also dozens of forgettable action/RPG games we get each year from big publishers.

The sad truth is we have a lot more games that are designed worse than Oblivion. And not a lot that are designed better. And even those that are better are still not that far away.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh come on. Oblivion is not well-designed but if it's anywhere close to the worst AAA design then you've been living in a world of rainbows and fairytales. Have you heard about Daikatana, Master of Orion 3, SimCity, No Man's Sky, Might & Magic 9? Also dozens of forgettable action/RPG games we get each year from big publishers.

The sad truth is we have a lot more games that are designed worse than Oblivion. And not a lot that are designed better. And even those that are better are still not that far away.

Daikatana, MoO3, Sim City are better designed than Oblivion though.... it really is one of the worst from a design standpoint, just because they questionably implemented a retarded design doesn't make it better designed than crap implementations of ok design.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Ken Rolston also contributed reviews of RPG products to Dragon Magazine for several years, and he wrote a few D&D supplements for TSR, including Lankhmar: City of Adventure and GAZ7: The Northern Reaches. +M

In fact, Rolston's Northern Reaches contains ancient Dwemer Gnomish underground ruins in which can be found technological marvels.

From Wikipedia:
Ken Rolston spent twelve years as an award-winning designer of tabletop role-playing games. His credits include games and supplements for Paranoia, RuneQuest, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, AD&D, and D&D.[1][2][3][4]

Bloody hell. Too much time spent with :hearnoevil: led to decline.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
DeOmEHPWsAADYV9.jpg:large.jpeg

the only way of saving oblivion is by modding it. Otherwise it is pure shit and I can't even realize why it sold so much with these premises.

I remember when I was playing it the first time, it was during the soccer championship between France and Italy when Zidane gave the head to one of our players and I couldn't bear playing it unmodded, I actually asked myself how it was possible that this game was so appreciated.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

Masterpieces compared to Oblivion.

The only game I've ever played that made me as queasy as playing Oblivion (and for similar reasons too) was "Unreal" "2".

:negative:
So he was already going senile then.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

Its close enough to the worst designed that if it wasn't, Oblivion would still be honorary

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
At first I was like "He liked Oblivion? I thought he had good taste" but then I read on and saw him endorse it because of the modding and what he says about modding is actually quite lovely :love:

Pratchett was also a big fan of the old Thief games and even played some fan missions.

God, I miss the man :(

"The basic Oblivion is extremely good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom