Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion question for MSFD

Imbecile

Arbiter
Was that a gallic shrug?

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
For the ones interested in the answer of the original question, the official info is that there'll be no AA+HDR on ANY chipsets.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Pr()ZaC said:
For the ones interested in the answer of the original question, the official info is that there'll be no AA+HDR on ANY chipsets.
There was an original question? Wow. So this thread didn't just evolve...

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Nog Robbin said:
Pr()ZaC said:
There was an original question? Wow. So this thread didn't just evolve...
You don't know...the power...of the Codex.

baby arm ... any links?

dongle

Scholar
Pr()ZaC said:
You know, that brings up an interesting question:

The last PC screenshot released of the foggy forest clearly doesn't have full screen anti-aliasing enabled. I would say that all the other screenshots in the PC gallery do have it enabled at some level. Does this mean none of the screenshots before this one featured any of the high dynamic range lighting effects? Or does that mean none of the PC screenshots are an accurate reflection of the way Oblivion will look on a PC?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I must admit that I can simply not see that. Not just here, I have switched AA on and off in various games and squinted at the monitor, and I just can't see the difference, there is always jaggies anyway... Maybe I am just naturally imune to graphic-whoring?

GhanBuriGhan said:
I must admit that I can simply not see that. Not just here, I have switched AA on and off in various games and squinted at the monitor, and I just can't see the difference, there is always jaggies anyway... Maybe I am just naturally imune to graphic-whoring?

Maybe it's not working on your hardware for some reason? I mean, even 2x AA improves picture enough to see the difference without trying hard, especially in lower resolutions.

Seboss

Liturgist
GhanBuriGhan said:

Yup, that's weird. You should check in Display Properties-Advanced if FSAA is disabled or application controlled.

dongle

Scholar
I notice jaggyies a lot in game, but to each his own. Looking at the shot I linked I see it most in the two tree trunks in the medium distance, not in the fog nor completely clear, in the middle of the screen. I don't see that in any of the other PC screen shots on the Bethesda site. Jumped right out at me anyhow.

This shot also got posted just a couple days after the news that HDR + FSAA wasn't possible. The first thing I thought of was that they'd posted a no AA shot specifically because of that. Although I don't see that there's any obvious HDR in that shot either. Clearly, to me, some of their PS shots -do- have both on.

Remember also, any Morrowind screenshot taken by a fan using the built-in screenshot taken will -not- have FSAA, even if it -was- on and -did- look like it in-game. Just in case you're used to looking at mod screenshots.

Somewhere I have some HL2 shots I took, give me a couple minutes to find them.

dongle

Scholar
hl2.jpg

Nothing
FSAA
HDR
FSAA+HDR

Solik

Scholar
If your monitor resolution is very high, try turning it down.

Look at the edges of stuff, in particular the tower and the hills. The jagged edges in the non-AA pictures should be fairly obvious.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
AA sucks so much of my system's power for improvements that I barely even notice, I never bother with AA. Of course, I play my games at 1024x768, but if you have to play at lower resolutions where are you getting the power to do AA?

Personally, I prefer smoothness when it comes to graphics. That's why I still like a lot of the older engines, they run so silky smooth on my machine.

was that a Gallic shrug?
For some reason that made me giggle.

Psilon

Erudite
Solik said:
If your monitor resolution is very high, try turning it down.

Funny. Given that FSAA basically works by rendering at a very high resolution (usually 4x the number of pixels onscreen) and then downsampling, you have to wonder why people bother. Seriously, I'd rather run with really tiny jagged lines at my LCD's native resolution and get a decent frame rate than have to run at a lower resolution, get rid of the jaggies, but then blur everything to hell because of all the resampling involved.

dongle

Scholar
TheGreatGodPan said:
I couldn't tell the difference between them.
If you can't see the difference then yes, you are immune to the graphics whore disease. :D

I chose that section of the screenshot because it's where I can see the differences the most. The towers to the left are an extreme example of aliasing. A strait line against a light background that is almost, but not quite, vertical. In the first and third example I see a much jaggier line. In-game this bothers the heck out of me, especially when you move, you get this flickering effect. The sun on the right is the most extreme example of what you get when you turn the "HDR" option on in this game. In the third and fourth examples the sun overpowers the railing, as if you're being blinded by a light brighter than your monitor can produce. Personally I'm sort of "meh" about this effect, I can take it or leave it.

I'm running an NEC 22" CRT @ 1600x1200 85hz. Those screenshots were taken at that res and cropped down, not resized, so I didn't blow out the forum formating. I have a Tyan E7505, 533FSB, Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz, 2Gb DDR, and a 7800GS AGP @ 460/1.35. Couple years old, but it runs OK. In the scene above I'm getting 40FPS with both FSAA+HDR on, 60-70-FPS with both off. 40FPS is more than enough for me to enjoy a game. More is better, sure, but I'd rather take the hit and have smooth lines.

I make no value judgments about anyone else's tastes, although it's fun to discuss. However you enjoy your set-up is fine by me.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I really am not a graphics whore at all, hehe. Like I said, I'll take smooth over pretty any day. I'd rather turn up my resolution than waste power on AA.

I was playing Quake 3 the other day, for old times' sake, and I turned up the resolution to 1600x1200 because my computer can easily take that and I seriously couldn't see much difference between that and 1024x768, as I can tell the difference between that and 800x600.

Zomg

Arbiter
Mount & Blade, off all games, made me into the kind of person that can notice AA and AF, just because it's graphically low-impact enough that I can actually crank up the settings without turning it into a slideshow. I actually play friggin' Doom (via the Doomsday engine) with 8x/16x now, which makes it into this weird 1600x1200 razor-sharp, unblurred world with sad little sprites and textures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom