Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion tit for tat at GameCloud

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
You dodge by moving your character out of the way of strikes. How quickly you can do this depends on your character's speed. Again, the quick dagger user can move around faster and using the fast dagger for quick strikes and can get out of the way, while the slow heavily armored warrior can stand & take more punishment and use a heavier weapon with less danger to himself. There's also an Acrobatics skill perk that adds a fast dodge ability.

The player controls the actions -- attack, block, dodge, maneuver -- and stats work to determine success.

What about the shield blocking thing, then? If there's a roll to see how successful a shield blocks a hit, then wouldn't that be a "to hit" roll? Really, the same thing applies to armor. If the armor skill roll is low and the armor is wicked powerful, isn't that "to hit"?

Not really -- there's no randomness involved in attack damage. It's a straight formula based on the skills of the attacker and defender, the condition of the weapon/armor/shield, the damage rating of the weapon, luck, fatigue, etc. And of course the opponent has to be in range of the weapon or there IS no hit.

The randomness in attacks & blocks is in the AI, deciding when NPCs move, block, attack, dodge, etc., and in the player's actions in doing the same.

Hence, no "to hit" roll.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tintin said:
How am I supposed to know the intricate details of the Radiant AI system. But what I've read and heard in interviews and such, it's not just an NPC scheduler, and Pete Hines clearly says it will add choice to completing quests.
PR guys and developers have a habit of clearly saying things that may - or may not - be in a game when it's released. That's just how those things work. For more information see Fable, Lionheart (they even lied that the demo doesn't represent the actual gameplay), Daikatana, and last but not the least, NWN. So, untill Pete starts giving specific examples of those choices, I wouldn't put much faith in his words.

Either Pete Hines is the biggest idiot, the worst PR guy ever to exist on the planet - or there's more choice to the quests than in Morrowind.
The worst? Are you kidding me? Pete's great. He's been spinning that bullshit about Radiant AI, Patric, and soil erosion for more than a year and with a straight face.

Now, as much as you hate PH...
Why should I hate Pete?

... it doesn't sound very likely that he would pump up quest variations and choices if it was actually just as basic as you put it.
Hmm, I see. You are new to the gaming media and hype thing, aren't you?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Balor said:
However, if you ‘actively block’ and that provide you with 100% block chance - it’s not so good. Unless it’s a some sort of huge towershield, and those monsters are not usually used by ‘adventurer types’ - only footsoldiers in lines.
If it’s a bucker type shield, you have to actively maneuver it to block attacks... btw, it’s very, very, VERY tiring.
My left hand went completely numb after 10 or so minutes of active combat (even with a couple of breaks).
Shields (and helmets) are, in fact, heaviest one-piece armor types. (Well, relatively with helmets, but anyway).
Yea, I’m not Conan-type, but putting your shield ‘at the ready’ should cost some stamina drain, and actual blocks - add to it.

Holding the shield up slows your character down significantly, and you cannot run in that state. You also have to be facing your opponent or you won't block the attack. Some damage from the attack will get through -- the amount absorbed by the shield depends on the shield's armor rating, and your block skill (plus luck and fatigue, which come into play with nearly every formula) and whatever the shield doesn't absorb comes through to you the blocker. Once you reach a certain skill level, the item you block with no longer takes damage.

You can also block arrows, if the amount of the arrow's damage that is blocked is high enough they'll bounce off your shield.

If you have a low Block skill, then you are fatigued whenever you block a blow.

If you have a high enough block skill, you gain a chance of doing a counter-attack maneuver with the shield when you block a melee strike. Basically a punch with the shield. If you hit your opponent with this punch, you have a chance of staggering them (which leaves them vulnerable) or even disarming them. You get these same perks if your hand-to-hand skill gets high enough and you block with your hands.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Rune_74, I'll explain you something: Balor is pissed, that's why the "aggressive" stance. Of course he appreciates (as everybody) MSFD presence here. MSFD knows that the Codex members are difficult to please but in his journey here he learned a thing or two, too. Right? ;)

I know I'll like the game but the fact that it's clear that TES titles are tranforming themselves into mainstream rpgs (which I'm sure will please most of the Morrowind and console crowd out there) just pisses me off.

We're not RPGs vigilantes, we're just trying to make them (the devs) hear our voices (the minority) and explain what a true cRPG is really made of and what it means to us.

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
The randomness in attacks & blocks is in the AI, deciding when NPCs move, block, attack, dodge, etc., and in the player's actions in doing the same.

Hence, no "to hit" roll.
Wow, sounds like a really awesome system. It's nice to see that pesky things like the effect of skills on "To Hit" chance have been replaced with true and pointless randomness.

Chefe

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Wow, sounds like a really awesome system. It's nice to see that pesky things like the effect of skills on "To Hit" chance have been replaced with true and pointless randomness.

It's plain to see Bethesda's new "target audience".

They complained about not being able to find Caisus... so that was 'fixed'.

They complained that "OMG I SWUNG SWORD AND IT NO HIT GUY!"... so that was 'fixed'.

Funny thing, those two were the biggest complaints. Why? Because Morrowind had a bigger audience on the 'box, a system full of idiots and 12 year olds. So what is a company to do? Why, dumb down the game to cater to the fools, of course! I really wish I could be proven wrong here. I do.

Still, it's not combat we should be worried about, but the actual roleplaying elements in the game that are diminishing.

Fodel

Novice
Gamecloud - Even though it can be played in first person, Oblivion is supposed to be a true RPG rather than an action-RPG.

Only an idiot thinks that first person view o isometric influences on roleplaying.

Tintin

Arbiter

There's a difference between say, calling Morrowind a "living, breathing world" when it isn't really, in comparison to telling everyone NPC behaviour will affect how you do quests and they will interact with you, giving different variations, when it is as simple as what angler said, "Slay him with a sword, spell, or stealth."

So, you found Morrowind's system of slash slash and to hit decides whether the sword slashing at the guy right in front of you hitting him - realistic, fun and engaging?

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Tintin said:
So, you found Morrowind's system of slash slash and to hit decides whether the sword slashing at the guy right in front of you hitting him - realistic, fun and engaging?

Morrowind's combat was faulty in that you could miss yet your opponent would stand there instead of ducking or dodging away. It was also messed up how I could miss a mudcrab with a dagger when the thing moves as fast a sloth.

So, how do you like them bricks?

Tintin

Arbiter
Morrowind's combat was faulty in that you could miss yet your opponent would stand there instead of ducking or dodging away. It was also messed up how I could miss a mudcrab with a dagger when the thing moves as fast a sloth.

GASP opponents dodge in Oblivion.

GASP your attacks will hit your opponents in Oblivion if they are slow, or don't dodge your attacks.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tintin said:

There's a difference between say, calling Morrowind a "living, breathing world" when it isn't really, in comparison to telling everyone NPC behaviour will affect how you do quests and they will interact with you, giving different variations, when it is as simple as what angler said, "Slay him with a sword, spell, or stealth."
I'll take it as "yes, I'm new, teach me stuff, plz". Here you go, young padawan:

From MW interviews

Todd said:
Daggerfall's character system is awesome. We love it. There have been some changes to it for Morrowind, but the essence remains intact. (they removed many skills and advantage/disadvantage system which made the DF's system so "awesome")
Guilds became a big part of Daggerfall, and that's something we're looking to make even better. (they reduced guilds from 30+ to 12, removed the randomness of quests, and guilds' benefits)
...the dungeons kick ass. (they didn't, they were hardly "dungeons" at all)

Q: How about the story then? What difficulties did you face in creating a non-linear story?
A: That's the hard part. There are some great story ideas we throw out because we want to keep it non-linear, but we've found some new ways of doing things while keeping it open
(needless to say, the story was very linear, especially comparing to DF)

No, it sucked, but as with many features, I wish they fixed and improved it, not replace it with a simplistic hawt akshun system.

aboyd

Liturgist
Balor said:
Then go, carefully lead this slack-jawed, salivating idiot to the nearest bed and smother him with a pillow, be a good guy.
It's disappointing to see such unintelligent comments.

Tintin

Arbiter
No, it sucked, but as with many features, I wish they fixed and improved it, not replace it with a simplistic hawt akshun system.

What's so simplistic about Oblivion combat?

And what suggestion would you personally have to improve Morrowind's combat - instead of what Oblivion is doing.

As for the thing about Morrowind's improvements and whatnot - either way, I was responding to the notion that the choices Pete mentions were kill a person with one of your skills, as angler said, not anything else in particular. And those quotes don't really compare to what Pete Hines said and equalling it to "kill with sword, spell or stealth".

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Not really -- there's no randomness involved in attack damage. It's a straight formula based on the skills of the attacker and defender, the condition of the weapon/armor/shield, the damage rating of the weapon, luck, fatigue, etc.
So the PC's Luck level gives him a set, constant bonus? Seems a bit strange...

As far as I understand what was written on the "block" subject, you can get killed even though you've blocked all attacks, since you absorb a little damage every time you do it. So the guy just bashes your shield and your HP go steadily down to 0. Is that right?
Or is the system designed so that it's just near impossible to block all the attacks so such situations won't happen at all?

The "no randomness in damage" way worked well in both Gothics, I hope it will work in Oblivion too. My main question:
How do you handle blocking in a fight with multiple opponents? In my opinion the fact that you have to concentrate on one foe is the main flaw in Gothic's combat system. I'm sure you'd like to improve on that. Do you just perform a general "blocking" move and if you succeed, the game does a proper animation even if there are more baddies around? (it may sound a bit stupid, but perhaps it's not the worst solution) Or do you block all attacks coming from a certain direction? Or do you just, as in Gothic, block attacks from 1 opponent only?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
There's an arc of effectiveness for blocking -- as long as the attacker is within your blocking arc, you'll block them. For multiple opponents you'll need to turn to face to block each, just as you would with a real shield. If you have multiple opponents within the arc, then yes, you'll block hits from all of them (and the size of the arc is configurable based on a game setting.) The shield and other armor you're wearing still contribute to your overall armor rating, which will attenuate the damage on its own, but not as much as actually blocking a hit.

If you just stand there and block, how much damage "gets through" depends on your blocking skill. But don't forget that your shield may be taking damage (again dependent on your blocking skill) and it may eventually break. The amount of damage that gets through won't necessarily be steady, either -- how much gets through depends on values that are changing, including the attacker's fatigue level, the defender's fatigue level, and the condition of both the sword and the shield. It also depends on the type of attack being performed.

As far as the animation goes, you just hold up your shield as long as you hold down on the block button. When you block a hit, there are a number of animations that might play (you might be staggered or even knocked down if it's a powerful blow, it might be a "normal" recoil of the shield, or you might play a block counter attack animation if your character's skilled enough.)

Excalibur

Liturgist
well i am hammered! and that helps me be happy about oblivion being xbox 360s bitch!!! death to consoles!!!!!!!!! uhhhhh!

Chefe

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Ah, so Tintin's new to this whole thing. My apologies then, Tintin. I didn't think you were so uninformed.

I want to join in on VD's fun too! Let's bring out some more old Morrowind quotes!

Todd Howard on Dialogue said:
The other way is that you can do tree stuff, with multiple choice questions (like Baldur’s Gate). So you can get a situation where you decide to ask an NPC about The Thieves Guild, and he’d say “I hear that they may be in the area. Have you heard anything?”, with response choices for you of “I have seen them beyond the North Cave.” Or “I was hoping you might know more.”

Woah! How do they do it?!

Steve Meister said:
I've been spending some time play testing the Mage's Guild quests, and I'm just astounded by the details: the dialogue, the intricacy of the quests, the sheer volume of information.

Intricacy of quests? Hell yea! Collecting flowers and delivering packages ROCKS!

Todd Howard said:
NPCs. Kind of the same scenario as the world. They were very simple and repetitive in Daggerfall. Every NPC now is basically the same as the PC. They have all the same stats, inventory options, etc. Dialogue has also gotten a major overhaul.

Major overhaul?? And they've gotten rid of Daggerfall's repetitiveness? Flip-freakin-tastic! He says it, so it must be true!

Todd Howard said:
The magic system has been re-balanced considerably.

Was it ever!

Todd Howard said:
It's changed somewhat, but still retains the basic structure of the past games, just presented in a new way. We've streamlined it some so that the choices you make have more impact on your game and what happens in it.

I agree! Such a step up from Daggerfall! Good thing they got rid of the stooopid choices like "take damage in holy places" or "regenerate health" that didn't affect your game at all!

Todd Howard said:
Areas to improve? Let's see, in order:
1. Bugs. Zero bugs. We're sick of it.

Boy! Did they iron out those bugs or what? Morrowind was the least buggy game ever!

Todd Howard said:
Gary's making sure the dungeons kick ass.

Good job on the AMAZING dungeons, Gary!

Todd Howard said:
Race, for instance, plays a much larger role in what your character can do.

Yes it did! I'm so glad the races were more than just skin deep!

Todd Howard said:
Most of the really good perks are in the guilds, such as good training, services, and other stuff. Plus all the best quests are there. You’ll need to join one to do things like spellmaking and enchanting.

So true I'm almost crying!

Todd Howard on Vampire Clans said:
There are many, many factions. We’re deciding right now which ones to really concentrate on and let the player join, and move up through the ranks. We’re doing specific quests for each faction so we have to be picky.

Yes! Tubular, DUDE! Many, many vampire factions with lots o' quests!

-----------

Well, I've had me fun for the day.

Balor

Arcane
aboyd said:
Balor said:
Then go, carefully lead this slack-jawed, salivating idiot to the nearest bed and smother him with a pillow, be a good guy.
It's disappointing to see such unintelligent comments.
Mwahahaha!
Ok, ok, I've done with it, I'm a good guy now :).
*giggles then bursts into laughter again*
I think a lot of people should go watch *One fly over the cookoo's nest', then grow some brains to understand sarcasm&humor, then...
Oh what am I talking about, it's not popular nowadays. Expecially the brains part.

@ VD
Anyway, while either guy who wrote text for Pete, or he himself is a sure retard who cannot distinguish combat from true roleplaying, I do like the idea of combat being less random in a way for slash - hit, slash - miss, all governed by the almighty tohit roll.
BTW, a lot of Russian RPG-players have a habit of saying "Praise the Random!" and the like.
Looks like you are indeed one of those Random - worshippers, but for real, in this case.

Anyway, don't you think that opponents, dumbly and sluggishly flailing weapons at each other, all the while randomly hitting and missing is a 'Good Thing'?
I do think you are a bit carried away, VD.
In this case, they actually made the combat more complicated, not simplified it.
I understand, you want a system where your skills as a player have nothing in common with your skills as a character. Yet, you will not have it. You never had it, in fact, cause in MW, for instance, you had to maneuver and time your attacks manually, too.
It's just a different concept, get it?
And it has nothing in common with game being 'RPG', or even a good game in general, no matter what you or Pete thinks. (Btw, don’t you feel ashamed for being put into one group with Pete?)
Diablo have all those hitrolls and the like, for instance - does it make it a good RPG?
Btw, as I understand, character skills and weapon stats will play MUCH greater role then your skills in fightings.
It was said by MSFD a lot of time before, do I have to quote it? Let’s sum it up:

Having high acrobatics skill will allow you roll in and out of combat, avoiding attacks of slower opponents, high speed - circle around them, all the while stabbing with a dagger.
Heavy weapons and armor allow you take and dish out much more damage, without the need of dancing around like a ballerina.
Mages... well, you can do both if you can cope with penalty to the casting skills, or go ‘pure mage’ and try and fry your enemies before they’ll get a chance of hitting you. Then, you can block with your staff and fry the enemy with short-ranged ‘touch’ spells.
Highly logical. That’s how RL combat works (well, besides the mages part, heh)

Or you want the combat to be completely automated, like in Arcanum or Diablo, point&click style?
Perhaps turnbased, too? ;)
Then tough luck. Not gonna happen in this game.
Anyway, true PRGs don’t have to be RT, TB, RTWP, TPS or FPS, etc. All they have to have is good opportunities for playing your role.
And, as I understand, most ‘twitch’ will be in for rogue classes, with their dodges and light armor. And then, you should be, logically, sneaking, shooting and backstabbing, not fighting heavily armored warriors one-on-one, heh. (Think Thief.)
For warriors and mages - well, I don’t understand how retarded or/and disabled you must be to make your player skills affect your gameplay by a large margin... and, btw, that means you were unable to play MW too! Remember, you also had to manually attack and cast spells there, and time those right (at least, sometimes). And, ahem, wasn’t it the same for Daggerfall, huh?
Anyway, less skills, and skills with retarded names -> bad.
Wikipedic dialogue -> bad. Lame roleplaying -> bad.
More complex combat -> good.
Now, please explain, in terms I’ll understand, how adding all that stuff MSFD listed about combat can be qualified as ‘simplifying’, and I’ll admit defeat.
EDIT: Some clarification.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tintin said:
What's so simplistic about Oblivion combat?
What's so complicated about it? You always hit (if the opponent is in range), you dodge and block according to the best traditions of FPSs, and that's pretty much it. Wow!

And what suggestion would you personally have to improve Morrowind's combat - instead of what Oblivion is doing.
It's pointless to answer that question. Suffice to say that MW is not the first FP RPG and there are quite a few improvements that one could suggest. Since the biggest issue seemed to be "my sword went through him but I missed. wtf?!", a simple dodge animation would have done it.

As for the thing about Morrowind's improvements and whatnot - either way, I was responding to the notion that the choices Pete mentions were kill a person with one of your skills, as angler said, not anything else in particular. And those quotes don't really compare to what Pete Hines said and equalling it to "kill with sword, spell or stealth".
I guess you refer to this quote: "Another aspect we improved is in the way that quests work. We created quests and things for the player to do that they can not only choose to do (or not do) in any order, but they can accomplish in a variety of ways. Part of that is the AI system and the way our NPCs behave and interact. This gives the player more freedom to try some creative things in solving quests that they might not normally try in a more restrictive RPG."

MW had that too. SOME minor quests had different MINOR solutions. Like if you were asked to collect taxes, you could kill the guy, get him to pay, or pay for him. Unfortunately, much like the "fight the guards or pay" option, it was done in such manner that paying was often much easier and less painful than looking for that guy. Why? No consequences and poor implementation of choices and rewards. Same here. Since Pete mentioned the AI, I guess that means that you can steal everything an NPC has and then force him to sell the precious because the AI tells the NPC he's out of fresh underwear. Makes sense!

Edit: Nice quotes you've got there, Chefe.

Chefe

Erudite
Good points Balor. I just hope they don't make it too twitch-intensive. Personally, I liked how Daggerfall handled combat. Just look at the track record: when games feature killer fast-paced combat like that, they don't focus on much else. If I want to play a fast and twitchy game, I'll play Serious Sam (which I just did... great game). I'm looking for a roleplaying experience though. A deep game.

Of course, one might say, "what's so wrong with having both?". And, of course, there wouldn't be anything wrong with it. However, just look at what has been brough up time and time again in interviews, and what has not.

Edit: Thanks VD. Those were some snippits of a few random links I found on the first page of Google. Just thought I should point that out if Tintin reads this, so he doesn't have to go far to get the facts.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
As far as the animation goes, you just hold up your shield as long as you hold down on the block button.
So you can e.g. hit and hold the "block" key, block 3 attacks while thinking what to do next, and then cast a spell? That'd be a big difference from Gothic, in which you had to time each block separately, which was actually quite reasonable for obvious reasons. We'll see how it all plays...
Thanks very much for your answer! It's good to see that item damage will be more than a binary (ie "broken"/"not broken") factor in combat.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Fodel said:
Only an idiot thinks that first person view o isometric influences on roleplaying.

Some people just don't get it.

I bolded out the 'role' part of roleplaying for a very simple reason: emphasis on the aspect of playing a role. For the most part people play roleplaying games to play a type of character which they cannot be in real life. If you want to play, lets say, an exceptional sniper, Fallout and Fallout 2 will allow you to do just that. Turnbased isometric makes sure the character can place his shot where he wants it, whereas in a firstperson realtime environment you will be hoping the shot registers and that you have enough reflexes to pull off the hits. Otherwise it's just a frustrating exercise to rely on player's reflexes rather than character skill. To many people, playing the role of a sniper means that they characters are able to shoot a Deathclaw between the eyes at a handful of screens away. On the other hand, implement this in firstperson realtime and it's you that are trying to shoot the Deathclaw.

In the context of combat models like those of Deus Ex and Vampire: Bloodlines (and presumedly Fallout 3), they depend more on player reflexes than character skill. The problem with this is that when you present players with a game that supposedly lets you create a character and play a role, you're not allowing certain players to effectively play the role they want. A realtime combat model model favours players who have quick reflexes and drives away those who are all thumbs; a turnbased model does not favor any gamer - they all have the same chances of playing the character they want. In the recurring sniper example, anyone who wants to play a sniper or a general ranged weapons expert under a realtime combat model will not only need to have high reflexes, but the addition of firstperson will make it so the player will actively need to aim and fire (rather than letting this become a logical abstraction of the character's own skill), perhaps even at specific body parts while the enemy is in movement.

Supposedly, a firstperson system which operated under turnbased could mitigate this, or a system that is much closer in nature to a standard firstperson shooter would not be a problem. But the chances of a realtime, turnbased model being used in Fallout 3 are pretty much non-existing; and turning Fallout 3 into a firstperson shooter is pretty inane to begin with.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Balor said:
Anyway, don't you think that opponents, dumbly and sluggishly flailing weapons at each other, all the while randomly hitting and missing is a 'Good Thing'?
I'll tell you a secret, Balor, but please don't tell anyone. There is nothing random about a combat system with random rolls. Why? Because your skills modify the outcome, turning the random roll into a predictable result. The difference? An unskilled fighter would miss a lot, a skilled fighter would hit a lot. In OB everybody hits! It's like a party and everyone's invited.

I understand, you want a system where your skills as a player have nothing in common with your skills as a character. Yet, you will not have it. You never had it, in fact, cause in MW, for instance, you had to maneuver and time your attacks manually, too.
Did I say that MW was a pinnacle of role-playing? No, I specifically said that the combat sucked. As for having it or not having it, nothing is perfect, yet there are games that featured much better systems, simple as that.

And it has nothing in common with game being 'RPG', or even a good game in general, no matter what you or Pete thinks. (Btw, don’t you feel ashamed for being put into one group with Pete?)
I do. Now you are my blood enemy and I won't rest until my honor is avenged. Run while you still can and all that crap.

More complex combat is good.
True. The question is "Is the combat as complex as Bethesda presents it to be?"

Now, please explain, in terms I’ll understand, how adding all that stuff MSFD listed about combat can be qualified as ‘simplifying’, and I’ll admit defeat.
I don't care if you do or don't. This is not a competition, just like our old TB vs RT dispute wasn't. We exchanged opinions and positions. The end.

Anyway, if you want to know why I doubt that the combat is complex it's for the same reasons that I doubt that OB is a decent RPG: so far the only solid facts point at dumbing down, and promises and vague reassurances try to convince us that the complex stuff is still there. What MSFD said sounds good, but we don't know all game mechanics to be sure. It's just like that discussion about weapon speed vs weapon damage - the promise was there, but the implementation fucked it up.

And in conclusion, I'd like to borrow a quote that Chefe found:

MSFD said:
I've been spending some time play testing the Mage's Guild quests, and I'm just astounded by the details: the dialogue, the intricacy of the quests, the sheer volume of information.
Intricacy, huh?

Sarvis

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Some people just don't get it.

I bolded out the 'role' part of roleplaying for a very simple reason: emphasis on the aspect of playing a role. For the most part people play roleplaying games to play a type of character which they cannot be in real life. If you want to play, lets say, an exceptional sniper, Fallout and Fallout 2 will allow you to do just that. Turnbased isometric makes sure the character can place his shot where he wants it, whereas in a firstperson realtime environment you will be hoping the shot registers and that you have enough reflexes to pull off the hits. Otherwise it's just a frustrating exercise to rely on player's reflexes rather than character skill. To many people, playing the role of a sniper means that they characters are able to shoot a Deathclaw between the eyes at a handful of screens away. On the other hand, implement this in firstperson realtime and it's you that are trying to shoot the Deathclaw.

In the context of combat models like those of Deus Ex and Vampire: Bloodlines (and presumedly Fallout 3), they depend more on player reflexes than character skill. The problem with this is that when you present players with a game that supposedly lets you create a character and play a role, you're not allowing certain players to effectively play the role they want. A realtime combat model model favours players who have quick reflexes and drives away those who are all thumbs; a turnbased model does not favor any gamer - they all have the same chances of playing the character they want. In the recurring sniper example, anyone who wants to play a sniper or a general ranged weapons expert under a realtime combat model will not only need to have high reflexes, but the addition of firstperson will make it so the player will actively need to aim and fire (rather than letting this become a logical abstraction of the character's own skill), perhaps even at specific body parts while the enemy is in movement.

I agree with you completely up until this point, and in fact have often said much the same thing.

Of course, when I say it I get called a dumbfuck by some idiot who thinks that it's the same thing because you are selecting the target with a cursor.

So yeah, be careful they don't decide to change your rank to `Dumbfuck.

and turning Fallout 3 into a firstperson shooter is pretty inane to begin with.

I disagree here. First person is just more natural for games involving guns, and frankly everything else you guys loved about Fallout could just be expressed in an FPS model.

Not that there's a snowballs chance in hell of that happening, but then they wouldn't do that in a turn based isometric RPG either so that's kind of immaterial.

<b>MSFD</b>

Interesting stuff about blocking with a shield, BUT can you dual wield? Can you parry?

Chefe

Erudite
Role-Player said:
stuff about turn based vs. first person real time

Now, Roleplayer, that isn't entirely true. Games like Arena, Daggerfall, and Arx Fatalis, to name a few, pulled off being first person games just fine, without having to rely on extreme player reflexes. There is a difference between First Person RPG and First Person Shooter. Unfortunately, it seems like Bethesda is trying to bridge this gap and further drive RPGs down the path of twitchiness. Again, that's only what it seems like to me. I haven't played the game, so I don't know. I'm only going on what the developer interviews are pointing towards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom