Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion vs Gothic 3

Master

Arbiter
So, if you had to chose, which one would it be? These are kinda similarly bad. Both need modding to be bearable. Both have level scaling (chests in G3s case), bland main quest with a certain get em all (liberate x towns, close x gates) mmo mentality. Oblivion has some more unique quests though. But G3 has more charm especially in the way of npcs while Oblivion npcs were kinda creepy and i didnt care about them at all. Overall i spent more time on G3 mostly bc of the chillout music. Oblivion had some nice tunes too but nothing as memorable. Well, thats it.

Falksi

Arcane
Oblivion. Mainly because on 3 systems I've not been able to get Gothic 3 to work remotely stabley.

I put hours into both, and with Oblivion I at least had some, albiet very little, fun.

vazha

Arcane
Oblivion for the Dark Brotherhood questline. Also it's more meme-worthy and has Sean Bean as narrator. Fully modded-patched Gothic 3 isn't a bad game either, but much less fun to play.

Deleted member 7219

Gothic 3, of course. A main story with multiple paths, a world that isn't one big fairy tale, better visuals.

Combat in both games is just as bad, but at least the dungeons in Gothic 3 are hand made.

Music is good in both.

Read VD's review to learn more about why Gothic 3 is better than Oblivion and only a Bethestard would think otherwise: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=137

Abhay

Augur
Easily, Gothic 3 any day. Its even better than any ES games. Morrowind and Gothic series are my go-to action rpg's. Love them. Oblivion is just crap. I don't remember much about that game anyways. That's how bad the game is.
Gothic 3 has such an amazing atmosphere with a massive open world full of interesting content and choices. I love immersing myself into the world all over again on each playthrough.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
So, if you had to chose, which one would it be? These are kinda similarly bad. Both need modding to be bearable. Both have level scaling (chests in G3s case), bland main quest with a certain get em all (liberate x towns, close x gates) mmo mentality. Oblivion has some more unique quests though. But G3 has more charm especially in the way of npcs while Oblivion npcs were kinda creepy and i didnt care about them at all. Overall i spent more time on G3 mostly bc of the chillout music. Oblivion had some nice tunes too but nothing as memorable. Well, thats it.

Hahaha, you suck

Tiospo

Learned
I can just say right away that gothic 3 is a LOT like gothic 2. I mean as opposed to be amazed by what was different i was amazed by what was exactly the same. Same font used in the type same voice actors. Very little changed
Oblivian is just like morrowind but its grpahics are greatly improved and its combat is arcade.
So both games to me were just like their last chapters.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If you had to choose, whould you rather got HIV or cancer?
HIV obviously. Modern treatments don't cure it, but indefinitely keep it at bay. In fact for someone who caught it in the past two decades the person isn't even likely to lose much life expectancy as long as he got first world access to medicine. Meanwhile.. cancer.. you never actually know if you were cured for good, it can always resurface and grow metastatic tumors in parts of the body that hurts the most and chemotherapy along with radiation therapy could have been favorite tools of torture for Mengele if he was still alive.

Master

Arbiter
If you had to choose, whould you rather got HIV or cancer?
Thing is as bad as they are, they are still better than TheNewShit(tm). Yet Codexers dont seem to have a problem playing those.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Hold on, I remember writing something about this... (google search) ...TEN YEARS AGO? I am so fucking old.

Whoa reading posts from years ago on a forum feels like you have schizophrenia.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-...on-vs-gothic-3-compare-and-contrast-26273422/

Okay so I know this is old news but I was playing both of these games again recently and couldn't help comparing my experience between them, and thought I'd share my thoughts here. If you believe this is pointless and/or these games are like an apple and an orange, that's great; but your opinion has no use in this discussion.

The idea is to break down the games on a feature-by-feature basis.

e.g.

Characters:

-Oblivion lets you freely make a customized character of any in-game race, gender, and class and change their appearance as you see fit. However, you are completely mute, and communicate with the world by writing single words on a chalkboard ala Anthony Hopkins in Legends of the Fall.

-In Gothic 3 you play The Nameless Hero; aka "Beardo." He is voiced by Crispin Freeman (yay!) but pretty much says the same five things to everyone in the world.

I think you get the point.

Graphics:

-Oblivion features a lush, huge, fully 3d world.

-Gothic 3 features a lush, huge, fully 3d world (if you double the system reqs and sell your soul to satan).

Okay Gothic 3's graphical problems are well documented, moving on...

Story:

-Oblivion: you must find the lost emperor's heir and prevent the invasion of demons from Oblivion.

-Gothic 3: you must find the 5 lost *yawn* artifacts before their fall... into the... wrong....... hands... zzzzzZZzzzz *snore*

Oblivion's plot has a serious case of second-fiddle syndrome (Martin is the main character, you're just his sidekick), but it beats the overly complex and nigh-incomprehensible plots of Morrowind and Daggerfall. And Gothic 3? Find the Artifacts?!?!? You've got to be joking.

Difficulty

-Oblivion: All enemies are scaled automatically to be challenging to your level, adjusted via a slider in the options menu.

-Gothic 3: AH! BOARS! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Okay so the unstoppable murderous rampages that Gothic 3's fauna are capable of certainly makes the game a frustrating experience at times, I question the logic of Oblivion's difficulty slider; gaining levels, stats, skills, equipment, et al have little effect on the game's challenge. The slider outweighs all other character decisions.

Classes

-Oblivion: become a warrior, mage, or archer, or combination of all 3.

-Gothic 3: become a warrior, mage, or archer, or combination of all 3.

Pretty similar really. However:

Character Advancement

-Oblivion: skills increase through direct use. Gain a level every time you increase major skills 10 times. Increase minor skills to gain more attribute points on level up. Plot all skills on a 10x21 excel spreadsheet grid. Add all attribute-similar skills up, discard numbers over ten, divide by 2, carry the one, spin around in a cirlce, then press pound. Do any of this wrong and your character will suck by endgame. Time to hit the difficulty slider...

-Gothic 3: Gain experience points to level up.

Alright I'm being mean; Obilvion does win some points for originality, but sometimes it feels like gaining levels is a separate game from the actual game, and that's no good.

Side Quests

-Oblivion: Remove the curse on a town which has rendered all inhabitants invisible. Enter a magical painting world and kill paint-trolls with a turpentine-covered weapon.

-Gothic 3: Kill boars. Collect furs.

Oblivion had some pretty creative ideas in it. There are plenty of mundane quests too, but I can't think of any in Gothic 3 that were as original.

Quest rewards

-Oblivion: quests give you the thanks of videogame people and paltry amounts of gold.

-Gothic 3: quests give you sweet, delicious experience points.

Seriously, for all the great ideas in Oblivion's quests, there's hardly any motivation to actually do any of them, when you can get more gold and better items from five minutes of random dungeon exploration.

Melee Combat

-Oblivion: use weak, quick strikes or slow, strong attacks. Use special attacks to knock down or disarm your opponents. Blocking leaves your enemy open for attack. Kung-fu mudcrabs.

-Gothic 3: use fast or strong attacks, use special attacks to stun or knockdown your enemies; but these are worthless. Normal attacks will kill any human/orc enemy in the game, with any weapon, at any level. Blocking is useless. Melee is suicide against boars.

Yeah, gothic 3's combat is a mess. Totally unbalanced. Still, I think its pretty funny when a mudcrab blocks a sword with its pincers...

Magic

-Oblivion: cast spells with the touch of a button, even with a weapon out. Multiple spells to buy, or create your own. Offensive spells either weak or too expensive in mana to actually use.

-Gothic 3: Switch to spellcasting mode to cast spells, getting hit interupts the spell. Magic is devastatingly powerful. Higher level spells can kill entire towns with 2-3 castings.

Magic is more tricky in Gothic 3 but TOTALLY worth it, to the point of being completely broken, but oh-so-fun. EAT METEOR, BOARS!

Freedom

-Oblivion: go anywhere in the world at any time. Join four different guilds. Guilds have linear quests. Main plot has a railroad-linear plot. One ending.

-Gothic 3: Help the humans take back the kingdom from it's orc conquerors, or help the orcs complete their domination. Help the nomads free the desert from tyrannical rule, or wipe out their cause. Serve the evil wizard, or supplant him. Commit regicide. Multiple endings dependant on player choice.

Oblivion's freedom is shallow. Sure you can choose different quests, but most of them allow little choice. Gothic 3 lets you make some pretty serious decisions with massive effects on the game world. Still, your progress through the game is restricted by its boar population... *sigh*

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is a silly thing, but one of the things I remember irritating me about Gothic 3 was that how it seemed like every NPC in the world that was willing to interact with you was in it for a quest.

It had two consequences : a backlog of quests that quickly became enormous and a negative impact on immersiveness.

It felt like a game tailored to compete with Oblivion, forgetting that G1 and G2 were their own things and this is what made them great.

Master

Arbiter
Hold on, I remember writing something about this... (google search) ...TEN YEARS AGO? I am so fucking old.

Whoa reading posts from years ago on a forum feels like you have schizophrenia.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-...on-vs-gothic-3-compare-and-contrast-26273422/

Okay so I know this is old news but I was playing both of these games again recently and couldn't help comparing my experience between them, and thought I'd share my thoughts here. If you believe this is pointless and/or these games are like an apple and an orange, that's great; but your opinion has no use in this discussion.

The idea is to break down the games on a feature-by-feature basis.

e.g.

Characters:

-Oblivion lets you freely make a customized character of any in-game race, gender, and class and change their appearance as you see fit. However, you are completely mute, and communicate with the world by writing single words on a chalkboard ala Anthony Hopkins in Legends of the Fall.

-In Gothic 3 you play The Nameless Hero; aka "Beardo." He is voiced by Crispin Freeman (yay!) but pretty much says the same five things to everyone in the world.

I think you get the point.

Graphics:

-Oblivion features a lush, huge, fully 3d world.

-Gothic 3 features a lush, huge, fully 3d world (if you double the system reqs and sell your soul to satan).

Okay Gothic 3's graphical problems are well documented, moving on...

Story:

-Oblivion: you must find the lost emperor's heir and prevent the invasion of demons from Oblivion.

-Gothic 3: you must find the 5 lost *yawn* artifacts before their fall... into the... wrong....... hands... zzzzzZZzzzz *snore*

Oblivion's plot has a serious case of second-fiddle syndrome (Martin is the main character, you're just his sidekick), but it beats the overly complex and nigh-incomprehensible plots of Morrowind and Daggerfall. And Gothic 3? Find the Artifacts?!?!? You've got to be joking.

Difficulty

-Oblivion: All enemies are scaled automatically to be challenging to your level, adjusted via a slider in the options menu.

-Gothic 3: AH! BOARS! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Okay so the unstoppable murderous rampages that Gothic 3's fauna are capable of certainly makes the game a frustrating experience at times, I question the logic of Oblivion's difficulty slider; gaining levels, stats, skills, equipment, et al have little effect on the game's challenge. The slider outweighs all other character decisions.

Classes

-Oblivion: become a warrior, mage, or archer, or combination of all 3.

-Gothic 3: become a warrior, mage, or archer, or combination of all 3.

Pretty similar really. However:

Character Advancement

-Oblivion: skills increase through direct use. Gain a level every time you increase major skills 10 times. Increase minor skills to gain more attribute points on level up. Plot all skills on a 10x21 excel spreadsheet grid. Add all attribute-similar skills up, discard numbers over ten, divide by 2, carry the one, spin around in a cirlce, then press pound. Do any of this wrong and your character will suck by endgame. Time to hit the difficulty slider...

-Gothic 3: Gain experience points to level up.

Alright I'm being mean; Obilvion does win some points for originality, but sometimes it feels like gaining levels is a separate game from the actual game, and that's no good.

Side Quests

-Oblivion: Remove the curse on a town which has rendered all inhabitants invisible. Enter a magical painting world and kill paint-trolls with a turpentine-covered weapon.

-Gothic 3: Kill boars. Collect furs.

Oblivion had some pretty creative ideas in it. There are plenty of mundane quests too, but I can't think of any in Gothic 3 that were as original.

Quest rewards

-Oblivion: quests give you the thanks of videogame people and paltry amounts of gold.

-Gothic 3: quests give you sweet, delicious experience points.

Seriously, for all the great ideas in Oblivion's quests, there's hardly any motivation to actually do any of them, when you can get more gold and better items from five minutes of random dungeon exploration.

Melee Combat

-Oblivion: use weak, quick strikes or slow, strong attacks. Use special attacks to knock down or disarm your opponents. Blocking leaves your enemy open for attack. Kung-fu mudcrabs.

-Gothic 3: use fast or strong attacks, use special attacks to stun or knockdown your enemies; but these are worthless. Normal attacks will kill any human/orc enemy in the game, with any weapon, at any level. Blocking is useless. Melee is suicide against boars.

Yeah, gothic 3's combat is a mess. Totally unbalanced. Still, I think its pretty funny when a mudcrab blocks a sword with its pincers...

Magic

-Oblivion: cast spells with the touch of a button, even with a weapon out. Multiple spells to buy, or create your own. Offensive spells either weak or too expensive in mana to actually use.

-Gothic 3: Switch to spellcasting mode to cast spells, getting hit interupts the spell. Magic is devastatingly powerful. Higher level spells can kill entire towns with 2-3 castings.

Magic is more tricky in Gothic 3 but TOTALLY worth it, to the point of being completely broken, but oh-so-fun. EAT METEOR, BOARS!

Freedom

-Oblivion: go anywhere in the world at any time. Join four different guilds. Guilds have linear quests. Main plot has a railroad-linear plot. One ending.

-Gothic 3: Help the humans take back the kingdom from it's orc conquerors, or help the orcs complete their domination. Help the nomads free the desert from tyrannical rule, or wipe out their cause. Serve the evil wizard, or supplant him. Commit regicide. Multiple endings dependant on player choice.

Oblivion's freedom is shallow. Sure you can choose different quests, but most of them allow little choice. Gothic 3 lets you make some pretty serious decisions with massive effects on the game world. Still, your progress through the game is restricted by its boar population... *sigh*
Good breakdown. I forgot about Shivering Isles though. Never played it but from articles i read back then it seemed like it would fix Oblivion and shit all over G3 and even Morrowind.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Compared to Oblivion Gothic 3 is a masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom