Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion won't be the worst game ever.

Levski 1912

Scholar
whitemithrandir said:
You guys are all stupid. Oblivion is going to the best game ever. Bioware rules, R00fles!
One Volourn to rule them all.

elander_

Arbiter
GhanBuriGhan said:
There was a little more than that. But why should I waste my time trying to convince you, since we simply do not know. The only relevant thing is gonna be testing the game.

Actualy no there wasn't and like you said we simply don't know. The only thing Beth would have to do was to show us a sample of Oblivion gameplay where we could see that speechcraft or lack of it would be significant in completing quests or gain access to certain areas of the game. Im not even asking for a game that allows you to keep leveling only by using social skills because that would be too much for them.

Wasn't Todd who said that an rpg to him is ridding on a horse with a weapon and kill things? Well if you can keep your optimism with statements like this then there is nothing that can break your optimism.

bryce777

Erudite
Nael said:
Solik said:
Including Daggerfall, which seems to be getting the most praise from the series.

That's because Daggerfall was the only TES game to have any semblence of consequence (EDIT: damn, VD beat me to it :()which is a fairly important component of what RPGs should be. Now it's just down to: "Accept this quest or don't... I'll be here 5 months later with the same quest if you happen to change your mind even though my herd of sheep is on fire."

Maybe Oblivion will be different and actually prove all the naysayers wrong. Maybe it won't, but who the fuck knows, and at this point in time, who the fuck cares? Everyone just needs to chill out until the game is released. Then you can rationally praise or poo-poo all you want. Until then the fanboys and haters alike should stop making themselves look like imbeciles.

The issue is the screeching irrational idiots who register here just to defend 'their' game.

Go ahead and like that piece of shit all you want, but the vast majority of people who do don't even like rpgs and have not played any rpgs as far as I can tell. So,t hey should not be pissed off we dislike the game based on the fact it is not an rpg. It is ridiculous.

Solik

Scholar
A, half my posts here haven't been about Oblivion, and B, I registered here because my words were taken from elsewhere and then posted here.

Got anything else to waste Internet space with?

bryce777

Erudite
Foamhead said:
bryce777 said:
I am convinced it will be the worst THING ever.

I can't help but laugh at the empty headed losers who feel the need to vigorously defend it. At first I was puzzled, but since then I have simply come to loose all respect for these people. I have never seen a game where even the marketing and fud is only the barest bandaid on their own idiocy and lack of respect for their audience's intellect.

Sorry, too, but this is not an RPG. There have been games like this around for ages, but they are called arcade games. Video games. Beofre everyone started lumping PC games in with console games and calling them video games as well, they were highly different than console games. Now we have crossplatform crap like kotor and oblivion. Console garbage is mainly aimed at preteen children, with the mroe advanced titles aimed at 15 year olds. It may sound insulting, but by golly, this is simple fact. If any adult can play something like kotor or oblivion and get any true enjoyment out of it, then I worry at what a loser they are.

Here's the cue for the subliterate fanboys (It shockes me to the core there are not only people who will play the game and enjoy it a little, but people who are rabid fans) to tell me not to knock it til I try it. Well, I don't have to fuck Rosie O'Donnel to know I am not attracted to her. I don't want any herpes ridden skanks either, no matter if they Have Radiant Smile whitening and huge tracts of land. If Oblivion were a woman with a personal ad, she would be a crackwhore skank with aids, with big silicon tits and an obviously airbrushed picture where she still looked fugly as hell, and with broken English and ebonics all over her profile....

I have a clue for you skippy.

People have the...and I know that this is unFUCKing believable, but people actually have the RIGHT to their own enjoyment, and don't have to justify it to you or anyone else.

You know who the real losers are? Fucking RPG/PC snobs like yourself who think that they are so far above everyone else that they get to dictate what is fun and what isn't. As unreal as it may seem, people have different tastes in games and RPG's just like any other form of entertainment.

And holy shit...get this,some people don't even like rpgs at all!

I am not reciting some episode of Sliders or the Twilight Zone...people in this very plane of existance have tastes that are totally the opposite of your own. I know this is a great shock to you but believe me things will get easier with time. Just relax and take some tranqs. You'll be fine man.

Oblivion may suck, it might not. Some people will like it, some people won't like it. Goody for them. I think Morrowind was about as exciting as browsing Wikipeda but other people love it and thats their right. Get a life.

Hey, I have a clue for YOU. We have a right to DISLIKE this game. Yet, any minor criticism of the game is met by screaming, brainless banshees such as yourself. Your moronic post is just too ironic, and you obviously do not even understand my original post, which is just plain sad.

Now, honestly, I have less respect for people who think oblivion sounds good than I do for people who watch dragonball z! It is something that is fine when youa re 12, but even at 15 it seems pretty pathetic! At 30, 40, or more years it simply boggles my mind.

Now, some of these people must be going off half cocked without actually looking at the various features. Oblivion sounded ok to me in the initial press releases...until all the pathetic details started to dribble out.

I like games besides RPGs, and I liked the quake series quite a lot. However, if ID software started calling Quake a fucking RPG, it would be very annoying and very damaging to the RPG genre, as well. Which is basically what bethesda has done.

bryce777

Erudite
El Dee said:
I don't understand why people come to this web site knowing what it is about, and then they get pissed off. If these people would take the time to read the reasons behind the OB complaints they would find that most of the arguments are pretty well thought out. I admit that I will play OB, but I too believe it has been dumbed down. If the TES forums are any indication of where the series is headed (13yr olds that don't know an FPS from an RPG from a fucking MMO) than there is no place to go but down.

Because they are insane idiots. There is no other explanation.

It would be like me or you going to action gamer or whatever and bitching at them because they say that oblivion is not a real action game. Even though it isn't. Its closest equivalent can be found at www.progressquest.com.

bryce777

Erudite
kodiak bear said:
mr grand idiot bryce777, after all of this ranting about how oblivion isnt a true rpg, you still havent given us your warped, mutated definition of rpg.

mine is as follows:ROLE PLAYING game!

in oblivion, you can play out any role you want, any time you want. there are barely any restrictions. most of the games aspects sound promising, and at sometimes, ground breaking. for example, those trees that all look the same to you? you must be blind, i can see many varietys. and having a forest that large and full of trees would make any gpu scream and halt without the tech they created to generate them. and what about the radiant A.I., doesnt that sound great?

you also say this forum is about all those fanboys and poeple that eat sleep and breath oblivion, when you clearly talk about OBLIVIONS faults in your starting post. stop your snobish rich boy idiocy and go do something productive.

i have one last point to make. HOW IN HELL does oblivion compare in any way to an arcade game. arcade games are cheap looking, and have cheap gameplay, and they barely last 15 minutes. oblivion lasts more than 150 hours, and has very involving, lush gameplay.

you dont impress me with your high and mighty vocabulary, or taste in fine scotch either

In oblivion, you imagine the dialog you say, and you play dressup with a 3d doll. You may as well write "WIZZARD LORD" on a paper hat and go to Mc Donald's and order a cheeseburger. There's your roleplaying for ya, retart.

Oblivion is a 20 hour game by the admission of the devs. Which means a 12-15 hour game for people who are smarter than the nitwit audience it's intended for (IE you). Oblivion has no skills hat really matter. They may as fucking well take them out. Matter as in change gameplay in any signifigant way whatsoever. It will actually be less sophisticated than MANY arcade games in its stat and combat system.

Oh, and I loved your private message calling me an asshole and a "'snoby' rich kid".

I grew up in more dire straits than you can imagine, fuckwit, and I slowly clawed myself up to the top, or at least up so high as I might be bothered to go.

The radiant AI and thermal bloom graphics somehow don't seem like they will affect gameplay much to me. Because I'm not really stupid, prolly.

bryce777

Erudite
Re: Pfft.

funkbutter said:
bryce777 said:
funkbutter said:
Me? Fanboy?

Rofl.

Rofl.

Rofl.

Elderscrolls is so far from being my favorite series it's not even funny. Despite the fact that I WoW has more bad qualities than you can shake a stick at, I still like it more than single player games.

PvP > Single player or PvE all day, every day, any day.

Funny, I'm pretty sure Oblivion doesn't have any PvP, but I'll still defend it against people like BRYCE777 who make themselves out to be highclass by talking about scotch and how Ob is mainstream. Oh, and BTW, the fact that the game Fable even exists proves the title of this thread way wrong.

R00fles, ok you are just a passing stranger with a serious brain disorder, then.

I still don't know what you're talking about. Grats me for liking PvP more than PvE becuase it takes skill? WTF?

I soloed Baldurs gate from the initial game to Mellisann in Throne of Bhaal with a Human mage, skill? Not really.

Are you the stupidest person alive? Don't answer...it's a rhetorical question.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Pete Hines said:
Septim
We had this idea to do a real cool replica of the coins, or Septims, that appear in the game as the official currency. We wanted it to be something that was the right size, had the right texture, and really felt like a coin someone would use and carry around Tamriel. The end result was really spectacular, honestly. When I passed around the samples I got from the folks everyone on the team was really excited. It looked and felt exactly like it should, like something that just got plucked right out of the world. We didn't change a thing.
obliv_septimcoin-sm.gif
Well - like it got plucked out of the world, but for some reason got some weight? I'm guessing the one they provide with the special edition isn't actually weightless, as they are in game?

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Nog Robbin said:
Well - like it got plucked out of the world, but for some reason got some weight? I'm guessing the one they provide with the special edition isn't actually weightless, as they are in game?

Give me a thousand of these and a tour to the white house and I could take over the world!

Lumpy

Arcane
Nog Robbin said:
Pete Hines said:
Septim
We had this idea to do a real cool replica of the coins, or Septims, that appear in the game as the official currency. We wanted it to be something that was the right size, had the right texture, and really felt like a coin someone would use and carry around Tamriel. The end result was really spectacular, honestly. When I passed around the samples I got from the folks everyone on the team was really excited. It looked and felt exactly like it should, like something that just got plucked right out of the world. We didn't change a thing.
obliv_septimcoin-sm.gif
I wonder if in Fallout 3's Collector's Edition they'll put a bottle cap.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
kodiak bear said:
in oblivion, you can play out any role you want, any time you want.

Can you play the role of a fruit fly?
Can you play the role of a 30 feet lizard who breathes fire?
Can you play the role of a viking warrior who reincarnated in a humanoid horse?
Can you play the role of a Wild West sheriff?
Can you play the role of a necromancer who kills NPCs and ressurects them as zombies to trick other NPCs?

there are barely any restrictions.

Can you dig holes in the ground?
Can you create your own shop?
Can you create golems?
Can you conjure succubus to give your PC pleasure?
Can you conjure spirits of those who were slain in an area to get hints about what lies ahead?
Can you...

I hope you get the picture. No, you can't do anything you like, and there are restrictions. Can you play the role of any character you want? No. You can only play roles which depend on the limited choices the game presents. Obviously, none of the above is meant to be some criticism of the game; simply, just an indication that trying to defend the game as providing unlimited options is misleading at best, a complete lie at worst.

Drain

Scholar
Role-Player said:
kodiak bear said:
in oblivion, you can play out any role you want, any time you want.

Can you play the role of a fruit fly?
Can you play the role of a 30 feet lizard who breathes fire?
Can you play the role of a viking warrior who reincarnated in a humanoid horse?
Can you play the role of a Wild West sheriff?
Can you play the role of a necromancer who kills NPCs and ressurects them as zombies to trick other NPCs?

Jeff K said:
Teh fun of the game for most fagorts like Jerry is that you cna play all kinds of differant adverntures, althoguh why you would want to be anaything but a Cyclops is beyond me!! Here are some of the things you can play:

A Ninja: You could recovar Jackie Chans Pajamas or something, I dont know, Jerray likes the Ninjas.
A Piraet: Yarrrrrr! There are not a lot of boats in teh town, just one, so you could make it your pirate ship and hiost anchers.
A Polar Baer: Permanfrost means teh ground is always frozan undar the topsoils.
Peanut M & Ms: YUO ARE ON A QUAST TO PICK THE NEW MAND AND M COLOR!!!!!!!!!!! WILL IT BE RED?
JON OR ADRAIN CARMACK: Find yuor lost careers in teh mud you vidoe bugses!
Maegaman: Doctor Whily has stolen the princess again, better charge up your swords yuo blue doarks!
A Navy SEAL: Go into teh cave where Osmar Ben Lauden is keeping his chest full of spell scrulls and set them on fyar. NEVAR FORGET: 8/11!!!
Teh Matrix: Humans are a disease dwarevs and elves are teh cure!
Max Paine: The bog crab killed my family and now I'm goaing to break up his drugs cartell!!
Nevar Winter Knights: Cast Magik missle at teh girls lockar room and maybe your mom wont have to go to the mixer with you fagort.
You should use imagination :)

Xi

Arcane
I don't think anyone is arguing with the content of your post Bryce777. While a lot of it is out of context to support your arrogant rhetoric approach, why even try to brute force your opinion on the masses anyway? You are clearly superior to all of us, and sense our opinions are inferior, why even read the responses?

Thanks for the comical read. :P

Irwanday01

Novice
I did it in the paint program, I don't have photoshop.

Yes i admit it was crappy but lets see yours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom