Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There is no way it needed to look so shit.

Don Peste

Arcane

V1.6.8 - The Drunken Update
MAR 29 @ 4:40PM - VICTORIAN CLAMBAKE
40ef329fdb7cb2b2a3ddcbd51b231ece1df734e7.png

"Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester

Here we are lads! These are the final touches before I begin work on the Fantasy Toggleexpansion!

Normally I spice up the patch notes with humor or poetry but if I tried to do that with this update log, it would be a full novel. I wasn't expecting this patch to be the size of a bloated whale and take an Atlantic crossing's worth of time to complete.

These are the new features!
+ New voyage preparation screen
+ Tutorial reset button
+ Helpful starters guide with tips
+ Pub design overhaul
+ Pub shop to buy rum
+ Rum barrel item to improve morale
+ Drunken screen and music distortion effects
+ Nation relation
+ Button in pub to view your relations
+ Very good or very poor relations determine whether or not you'll be welcomed or attacked when approaching ships
+ Worst possible relations with the pirates will cause pirate ships with red flags to spawn
+ Red flag item
+ Opportunity button in pub
+ Three opportunities (for now) and a lot of "none available" fluff text
+ Barnacles
++ Wait barnacles?
+++ A WAY TO SCRAPE OFF BARNACLES THAT AREN'T ON YOUR SHIP!
+ Pray button for the Missionary
+ Compass item to avoid storms
+ Tool prompts while sailing for the sextant and compass
+ Ability to sell items in port from inventory tab
+ Unique captain sprites for each faction
+ Staying anchored while sailing eventually cures seasickness
+ Whaling is slightly easier and the dead whale spawn rate is lower
+ An immaculate flute song available on only one day of the year
+ Right clicking "FIRE" or pressing "B" in combat will fire all loaded cannons
+ Rain puts out fires started by greased shot
+ Drowsy Maggie shanty available in port. It might be my new favorite
+ Letter of marque description changed to clarify its purpose
+ Bug fixes. Many bug fixes.
+ Particle effects
+ Particle bubbles
+ Particle bubble popping
+ Popped bubble particle effects
+ Probably more that I can't even remember

Be on the lookout for bugs as you enjoy the new content and let me know if you encounter anything I need to make a silent V1.6.9 patch to resolve before I back everything up and begin creating Fantasy Toggle.

What's next?
I'm going to (try to) bring TCS to Discord! It's an opportunity to spread the piratey gospel even further. We'll need a verified server which means building from scratch. If you want to know the deepest community lore then grab a potato and climb aboard the official Victorian Clambake Discord server.[discord.gg]

On the first of April, I'll run a week long sale to celebrate our progress!

Be sure to leave a review if you haven't already! Can we achieve the "Overwhelmingly Positive" status?

As always, thank you for the support!
- Your Captain, Evan

144522f601776e979ba983562bd54333401488a2.png

What Your Curators Say

"Fair attempt at a seaborne Oregon Trail, which is a good goal, but it feels feature shy ATM. I do admit, it is a bit mesmerizing to play casually, spearing swordfish and getting dysentery, so YMMV." Informational

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

As a part of Earth's Occupying Corps, you will have to investigate the suspicious circumstances that have shaped the course of the war. You will have to balance between the pursuit of knowledge and securing your superiors' favor; between suppressing violent rebels and your conscience. And what you discover just might change Earth's destiny forever.

With 120 decision points and over 300 options to choose from, Trap for Winners lets you shape your character and write your personal story among the stars.

features-iii.png

• Discover the truth about the war between Earth and a hostile alien race.
  • Balance between your prestige with the military and your reputation amongst the conquered species.
  • Engage in dangerous mini-game missions with your combat speeder.
  • Navigate complex moral choices… and live with the consequences.
  • For fans of Sorcery!, Fighting Fantasy and Choose Your Own Path.
  • Master 3 levels of difficulty and 6 character archetypes.
  • Robust checkpoint system – because the “five-finger bookmark” is so 80s!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Lurking I: Immortui is now just shy of 2000 downloads... largely thanks to this thread. I know it doesn't seem all that great but for a hobby/spare time guy who decided to make a game, thanks to everyone who checked it out. More in the werks. :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
LOL. I do hereby solemnly swear that if/when I ever actually finish Lurking III:Vermys and it is humanly possible to proffer games written in in VB6, these such hereby and forever after referring to but not limited to Lurking I:Imortui and Lurking II:A Madness, upon Steam, the designee: forever after referred to as 'the best indie game studio ever' shall assume all responsibilities of proffering such software, provided OKLABSOFT may, at all times, evade EU and USA taxes upon its meager sales by normal tax evasion methods, except where prohibited by law, in the interest of proffering such software to those who presume to do likewise under the guise that they as well have insufficient funds or even know what the hell they are doing. By clicking upon the following link three times (for two be-eth too few and four be-eth too many) the designee shall thereby obtain prior referred to 'software' in a manner such that Aaron doeth profit and thee, hereby referred to as the consumer, shall play and be satisfied.

Will do! :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
I don't know why the Steam thing seems so daunting to me. I will definitely do what I need to do to make it happen when L3 is done. Thank you newtmonkey! :)

V_K

Arcane
If anyone has some more suggestions for the OP list, please post them with a short description and proposed tags (see format in the OP). Even if you already made a post about a game in this thread - I'm not feeling generous enough to wade through three years worth of posts.

V_K

Arcane
Note to self: Add Aeon of Sands, Das Geisterschiff/Geisterturm, Paper Sorcerer and Swords and Sorcery: Underworld.
Not sure if obscure enough: Exiled Kingdoms, Vaporum, Starcrawlers.

V_K

Arcane
Newest Additions

Cosmos: The Secret Melody (2020) [free]
[TB] [Open World] [Sci-Fi] [Survival]

An Ultima-inspired sci-fi RPG in fully simulated open galaxy.
Dedicated thread.
Finder's credit: Infinitron

Titan Outpost (2019)
[No Combat] [Open World] [Sci-Fi] [Base Management] [Survival]

Hard sci-fi RPG with no combat and focus on survival, exploration and base management.
Dedicated subforum.

Whispers of a Machine (2019)
[Adventure/RPG] [Premade PC] [Puzzle Heavy] [No Combat] [Alternative Solutions]

Cyberpunk adventure with slight RPG elements: moral choices the PC makes affect her personality, which in turn unlocks new augments affecting the puzzle solutions.
Dedicated thread.

Legends of Amberland (2019)
[TB] [Open World] [Full Party Creation] [Combat Heavy]

Open-world blobber in the vein of Might&Magic 3-5 but with much bigger pixels.
Dedicated thread.

Theseus: Journey to Athens (2019)
[TB] [Premade PC] [C&C]

Turn-based RPG very faithfully based on Greek mythology.
Dedicated thread.

Lurking 2: A Madness (2018)
[TB] [Full Party Creation] [Open World]

Sequel to Lurking with better combat, deeper systems and damn charming art. Stays true to the Ultima formula of hunting for clues in a big and detailed open world.
Dedicated thread.

Alvora Tacticts (2017)
[TB] [Full Party Creation] [Roguelike] [Alternative Solutions]

Sequel to Vodispire Tactics set in the innards of a giant serpent. Open world gave way to a procedurally generated dungeons and party size increased to 6, but environmental interactions, character customization and smart AI are still there.
Dedicated thread.

Unexplored (2017)
[RT/TB] [Single Character] [Roguelike] [Puzzles] [Equipment-Based Progression]

Unique roguelite whose innovative level generation algorithm makes better levels than most handcrafted ones. Plays closer to Ultima Underworld than to Nethack. As is fashionable today, has a turn-based mod.
Dedicated thread.
Finder's credit: ColCol

Driftmoon (2013)
[RT] [PC + Hirelings] [Puzzle Heavy] [Exploration Heavy] [Linear] [Whimsical]
Charming and very well written fairy-tale RPG/Adventure that does whimsy right.
Dedicated thread.

Unepic (2011)
[RT] [Platforming] [Dungeon Crawler] [Single Character] [Humorous]

Unepic is a parody game that mixes metroidvania mechanics with some proper RPG systems.
Dedicated thread (slightly prosperous)

WarWizard (1993) [abandonware]
[TB] [PC + Hirelings] [Open World]

DnD-inspired RPG with tactical battles. Features a huge open world consisting of several kingdoms.
Dedicated thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Wow. Already been two years since release of Lurking II. Tempus Fugit. Check it out for free right now.
https://oklabsoft.itch.io/lurking-ii-a-madness

I already thought this was free. I definitely downloaded this a while ago off itch.io and didn't pay for it. Glitch?

No glitch. I went back and forth a few times struggling with set price and free/pay-what-you-want approach. Finally decided at this point I would just rather have it played.

Skdursh

Savant
Well if it helps encourage you, I will say that I enjoyed both of the Lurking games. For some reason I remember seeing another game that I thought was made by you that had some sort of detective angle to it. Maybe I'm imagining it? It looked pretty interesting from what I recall and definitely had the Ultima IV look. Lurking III screenshots look seriously *my taste* though. I'd play the fuck out of it whenever you get around to finishing it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom