Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

V_K

Arcane
I don't mind, it was always a possibility. And you can't really tell whether a games is shitty or not before at least some people play them.
That's why there is a highly curated list in the op. :obviously: Which I'll hopefully get to updating next week.

Luzur

Good Sir
Ebony Spire: Heresy — Itch.io Launch — press release

1*7bth2eZtvZlNHBtLMkQkCA.png

It’s time to go hands-on with the first public demo of Ebony Spire: Heresy!

Ebony Spire: Heresy is a coffee break dungeon crawler in which you cancrawl, throw, summon and smash your way through 15 levels ofhandcrafted fantasy goodness. Equip over 200 items and weapons, explore 5 different worlds and choke your way up the Ebony Spire.

1*JrVjgedZTXOVUPkv6CwCrA.gif

Today, 29th September marks the launch of the first public demo of Ebony Spire: Heresy. The demo explores the first 3 levels and it’s portal worlds. The player will face 16 enemies ranging from peaceful Worshipers to Nagas andCreature Summoning Priests. Over 30 items can be picked up, thrown andused in range and melee combat in this demo.

1*sWePdfyUTzeOgASlGTYkSQ.gif

Take control of your keyboard in an old-school, first person, dungeon crawler. Use the arrow keys to move in a grid-based fashion. Press I to access the inventory and equip, use or throw items at unsavory foes! Press Tto throw the selected item or Space to equip/use it. Press L to access the logs and PageUp/PageDown to navigate through it. Walk towards an enemy you are facing to attack.

1*a7vxMKLn5oVAdUnJvyZMlQ.gif

Explore the 3 tower levels and their portals. Visit the Golden City’s marketing district, the Docks and Underground Landing Bay. Fight enemies in the Arena or use your magic ring to push away the darkness. Find keys to unlock access to these levels and explore to your heart’s content.

Download the demo for free from Itch.io or pre-purchase it for just 4.99$!The game will launch on Steam at the end of October for the price of 9.99$.

1*xa7ltm0nTY1UlXlTc7MnOQ.png

1*OuLsplakgdy-TY7eLZXEkg.gif

Click here to subscribe to the mailing list! Stay up to date with development articles, new builds and chaotic gifs featuring pirates running away with your much needed keys!

1*r8dunQbE4RCE6NeM9-0iwA.png

Ebony Spire: Heresy is designed and developed by Bacioiu Constantin Ciprian (PFA) under his online moniker (Bearded Giant Games). The source code for the game is licensed under the MIT license and can be grabbed freely from Github (note: commits happen when a new version is released). The game is in development for Linux and Windows with more platforms to be added after the initial release. Learn more about the game on it’s itch.io page.

Press Contact:
Name: Bacioiu Constantin Ciprian
Mobile: (+40) 747 165 981
Email: bacioiu.ciprian @ gmail.com
Twitter: @Zapakitul

Screenshots:

1*0uX96kYJBe57hJdJAoRXWQ.png

1*1KvIAghyV9Oa0ppLOphPWA.png

1*v8V2Q-Y9YzvOdXP_VDZwFg.png

1*4jOvodCOq-0VKKzsXQlTUw.png

1*W0koo7rqgHQBG59LeYcI5g.png

1*qK-xSqrCAE0M3_lGAO46jA.png

1*a19uxrITmAdjuLA7eC5dAQ.png

1*48x4gzyQrDZNy3WWjXQKXA.png

1*ARxnvnYbpl5cxjrf03iXjQ.png

1*Nb0dw60UZToP_C-IRJi_6g.png

1*B5YhPoZwu7y5iDNd981YXg.png

https://medium.com/@bacioiu.ciprian/ebony-spire-heresy-itch-io-launch-press-release-a58c2ca123c

SophosTheWise

Cipher

I don't know if this deserves more attention, but it's certainly a fix for people longing for something like Arx Fatalis or King's Field, even though it's vastly inferior to them. Game logic is nonexistant, combat is a joke, graphics are horrible, music is repetitive. But I still played a few hours and I somehow was unable to hate it. I can't quite explain that, but it has its own trashy charm. And it's a first-person non-tile-based Dungeon Crawler, so there's that.

Mortmal

Arcane

I don't know if this deserves more attention, but it's certainly a fix for people longing for something like Arx Fatalis or King's Field, even though it's vastly inferior to them. Game logic is nonexistant, combat is a joke, graphics are horrible, music is repetitive. But I still played a few hours and I somehow was unable to hate it. I can't quite explain that, but it has its own trashy charm. And it's a first-person non-tile-based Dungeon Crawler, so there's that.

Dont worry there's not a single title on that list that deserves attention, despite everyone brofisting it .This is the list of obscure indies for really bored people who absolutely played everything and try to sustain themselves on below mediocre rpgs.

Mortmal

Arcane
Actually better than a lot of the usual high-profile stuff
Almost no one will prefer to play those rather than usual AAA titles even on the dex .Absolutely no one will prefer them to an AAA title like divinity , it outclass them on everything. Game like that happens once a blue moon but it shows that level of quality is possible, far above anything on the list.

pippin

Wait, is Divinity AAA? I wouldn't say Larian is bigger than Obsidian imo. If anything, Larian is like the biggest indie, which might as well be like being the tallest dwarf.

Mortmal

Arcane
Wait, is Divinity AAA? I wouldn't say Larian is bigger than Obsidian imo. If anything, Larian is like the biggest indie, which might as well be like being the tallest dwarf.
Its a big budget title with quite a big team now , it evens sell a lot, yes i think it can be considered as AAA now.

pippin

I dunno. Bethesda is more what I'd consider a AAA company and they are still very far away from being able to rub elbows with "true" aaa companies... or at least they are from what I remember. They are still way behind EA and Ubisoft.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Almost no one will prefer to play those rather than usual AAA titles even on the dex .Absolutely no one will prefer them to an AAA title like divinity , it outclass them on everything. Game like that happens once a blue moon but it shows that level of quality is possible, far above anything on the list.

Divinity is mid-tier, far from being AAA

Also whether lots of people play this here or elsewhere, doesn't say anything about quality

Also, yes, Divinity is quite good, but it's not like there's an endless flood of games like it

V_K

Arcane
Absolutely no one will prefer them to an AAA title like divinity , it outclass them on everything.
Actually, Voidspire Tactics surpasses DOS in everything but graphics. Better level design, better character system, better combat, much better itemisation, more interactive environments, non-retarded setting and story. Even UI is arguably better in VT. It doesn't have the advantage of originality (it's very much inspired by DOS in some regards), but quality-wise it's a better game.

Mortmal

Arcane

Divinity is mid-tier, far from being AAA

Also whether lots of people play this here or elsewhere, doesn't say anything about quality

Also, yes, Divinity is quite good, but it's not like there's an endless flood of games like it
No indeed and i am lamenting that, cause its the evidence it should be possible and its viable.Thats why i say playign titles from that list is like scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Mortmal

Arcane
Absolutely no one will prefer them to an AAA title like divinity , it outclass them on everything.
Actually, Voidspire Tactics surpasses DOS in everything but graphics. Better level design, better character system, better combat, much better itemisation, more interactive environments, non-retarded setting and story. Even UI is arguably better in VT. It doesn't have the advantage of originality (it's very much inspired by DOS in some regards), but quality-wise it's a better game.
I played it, but wasnt hooked at all. I probably cant get over the jrpg 8bit style too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom