Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obscure Mid-late 90s PC games with 2D/cartoony graphics

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is it any good? I remember seeing a huge preview of the game back in the day and being interested in it. The other Larry games aren't as fun being quite old in gameplay designs and look but Love for Sail seems different.

Both 6 and 7 were quite different from before and more in line with the sillier Sierra style of Space Quest 4. I think 6 is the one that is straight-up Lucasarts with no deaths or dead-ends. I remember liking both but it's been a while.

It is possible to die in LSL6, but it takes effort. By Space Quest 6 they had introduced the "OOPS!" button which undid your action, but I can't recall if it was in LSL6 or not.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Hopkins FBI got bad graphic, weak puzzle (even terrible point'n'click player like me went through the game with no sweat) but got really cool music (Troggs and Blues Magoos), which was better introduce to good music for me, than Radio 3 from potatolande where they now put On Air shitty ads with cunt hygene ointment during dinner/breakfast.

Teenagent
26541-teenagent-dos-screenshot-mega-bank-the-scene-of-the-crimes.gif

26546-teenagent-dos-screenshot-underwaters.gif

Worst part - catch the anchor in one jump.
Still better than QTE in Prince & Coward at the end of the game:roll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I used to love Gahan Wilson’s The Ultimate Haunted House as a kid:

366639-gahan-wilson-s-the-ultimate-haunted-house-windows-3-x-screenshot.png
366644-gahan-wilson-s-the-ultimate-haunted-house-windows-3-x-screenshot.png

Also, the Humongous Entertainemnt games:

FreddiFishandTheStolenShell-11.jpg
screenshot1.jpg

Tiny Toon Adventures: The Great Beanstalk:

gfs_11189_2_5.jpg
gfs_11189_2_1.jpg

Asterix: Caesar's Challenge:

7229-4-asterix-caesar-s-challenge.jpg
314746-asterix-caesar-s-challenge-dos-screenshot-phoenician-merchants.png
314753-asterix-caesar-s-challenge-dos-screenshot-hitting-the-pirates.png

Dexter

Arcane
Since you brought up Battle Beast, I also remember another fighting game: Brütal Paws of Fury
86083.jpg
gfs_67113_2_7.jpg

And 7th Level also did a bunch of other similar games, Ace Ventura from page one was rather good as far as I can remember:
Ace-Ventura-Demo_1.jpg

And they made Arcade America, which someone pointed out on the first page:
88161-arcade-america-windows-3-x-screenshot-bad-guys-on-the-left.png

There was also a CD-ROM childrens game that they made I remember playing called "TuneLand", you pointed at something and it would animate and make sounds:
tunelnd1.gif
M56_2.gif

Also this site is pretty cool, found some more I'd never heard of or played: http://www.old-games.com/games/adventure

Alien Incident:
alien-incident_3.gif

The Case of the Cautious Condor:
gfs_100264_2_4.jpg
gfs_100264_2_7.jpg

No Action Jackson:
938208_20070206_640screen001.jpg
no-action-2.jpg

Prisoner of Ice:
4843-prisoner-of-ice-dos-screenshot-why-do-i-get-the-feeling-time.gif
prisoner-of-ice_20.gif

Also briefly remember playing this one (Gnap), although it used Pre-Rendered backgrounds:
1648-3-ufos-a-k-a-gnalhxvv.jpg
1648-12-ufos-a-k-a-gn3jygr.jpg

Virtual Springfield:
2817-6-simpsons-virtuu9ygm.jpg
2817-10-simpsons-virt6ssqo.jpg

Edutainment type games: Carmen Sandiego Word Detective, The Great Word & Math Adventure

Also remember playing Asterix: Caesar's Challenge from above, it was kind of a quiz/puzzle game. :P

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Koala Lumpur: Journey to the Edge was fun but with some frustrating action sequences. In that one your cursor is replaced by your character, Fly the … well … fly. I remember that one of the planets was a theme park based on psychiatry and operated by a psychobitch in bunny outfit with a huge hammer and a German accent.

I think I prefered the French version though.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was thinking of LPing Koala Lumpur at one point, but I could only get it to run it with Virtual PC and the sound was out of synch for some reason. I also couldn't find the option to turn the subtitles on, so I gave up on the idea.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I was thinking of LPing Koala Lumpur at one point, but I could only get it to run it with Virtual PC and the sound was out of synch for some reason. I also couldn't find the option to turn the subtitles on, so I gave up on the idea.

Ah yes, it used a lot of QuickTime files and that causes troubles to run on a modern system. I think I remember managing to run it under XP but even then it was problematic. Since the game isn't very well-known to begin with I don't think anyone is working on compatibility, if it is at all possible. I don't remember it having subtitles, at least in the French version.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hah, some time ago there was a guy on the Codex who wanted to play Koala Lumpur, and said he needed Windows 3.1
So, I've sent him W3.1 installed for DOSBox. I don't know if he managed to play it, but I think he did.
Other QuickTime reliant games worked fine for me, W3.1 has good support in DOSBox.

Last edited:

Shinji

Savant
There are some quite interesting games in this thread

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom