Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian Almost Got To Make Baldur's Gate 3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Atari; Baldur's Gate III (Obsidian Entertainment); Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

As part of a larger feature on Obsidian that will be published on Monday, Kotaku has been granted an extensive interview with Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart. In a preview of said interview, it has been revealed that Obsidian was in negotiations with Atari back in 2007-2008 to develop a new installment in the Baldur's Gate series. It was going to be be a big budget, multiplatform "AAA" title.

"We were talking to Atari, and we started talking, and oh my god this was like the Cherokee Trail of Tears pitch," he said. "They asked in 2007 if we wanted to do Baldur's Gate 3, and I'm like 'Yes, if you guys are serious about it.' They were like, 'What do you mean?' I said, 'If you'll put a real budget behind it: it can't be $10 million, it needs to be $20 million, $25 million. If you really want to do this, then you need to put a real budget behind it. You need to give a budget that BioWare would have to do a Mass Effect or whatever. It has to be a real budget.'"​

Atari was hesitant, but they said they'd think about it. A few months later, in early 2008, they came back to Urquhart and gave him the okay, saying they really wanted to get the game done. "They were like 'OK, we really wanna do this, we feel we can get funding, we feel this we feel that, so let's start talking about it,'" Urquhart told me.​

Obsidian worked hard to put together an impressive pitch for the game. Unfortunately, Atari gonna Atari:

"That pitch, over the course of six months probably went through thirty revisions," Urquhart said. "I personally had probably spent 80, 100 hours—just me—on that one pitch, answering every question and asking everything and working on the budget."​

Then Atari and Obsidian started working on a contract, which they had negotiated in full by the end of 2008. It was all set. Ready to be signed.​

"And then we came back from break and they were like, 'Okay, well this is going on, that's going on—we're real close. We should be able to sign it real soon and get it to you.'"​

This was around the time that Obsidian's Aliens RPG was cancelled—"so I would've had a lot of people to work on Baldur's Gate 3," Urquhart said. Then things started to stall. Atari seemed hesitant. They started to ask questions.​

"Then they said they wanted to come see us to look at things," he said. "And so they came into see us and they looked at things. And then about a week later they said you know we're concerned that you can't make the game. And then a week later all of Atari Europe was sold to Namco Bandai."​

Suddenly, the Atari producer that Obsidian had been working with was no longer at Atari.​

"All this work got done," Urquhart said. "We negotiated a whole contract. Years worth of work, and it turned out they didn't have the money."​

Kotaku also asked Feargus what he thinks about the current caretakers of the Baldur's Gate legacy.

"I've known Trent forever, and so I think that he gets it, and I think he's into it, and so I think he could do it," Urquhart said. "I dunno if they have a studio that can make Baldur's Gate 3 the way that Bethesda made Fallout 3. They could make Baldur's Gate 3 like we're doing Project Eternity, but I don't think they could move it in that [Fallout 3's] direction."​

And if Beamdog approached Obsidian about working together on Baldur's Gate 3 in some form?​

"Yeah of course," Urquhart said. "We wanna work on great games. If that was something they were interested in, sure, we'd totally talk about it."​

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Trent seemed rather dismissive of Obsidian's development efforts back in November. But perhaps the recent not-so-positive reviews of BG:EE from the discerning folks over at IGN and Gamespot have humbled him.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Trent Oster can suck a dick. BG:EE is one of the biggest scams in RPG history. Buggy as hell and the new content is crap.

I'm also glad Obsidian didn't get to make BG3. The series is over and they would also have to use popamole Ed of DnD. It's much better that they get to make P:E, with Tim Cain.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Trent Oster can suck a dick. BG:EE is one of the biggest scams in RPG history. Buggy as hell and the new content is crap.

I'm also glad Obsidian didn't get to make BG3. The series is over and they would also have to use popamole Ed of DnD. It's much better that they get to make P:E, with Tim Cain.

I think the idea of the BGEE is to a) put out an iPad edition which the angry nerds don't seem ever to factor into things and b) show cynical corporate purses that the franchise still has legs by giving it the kind of higher-profile mobile platform-enabled release the titles just sitting around on GoG doesn't help with. But every mindless bitchy comment puts the world one step further away from ever seein a BG3, so keep it up, ey?

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
I think the idea of the BGEE is to a) put out an iPad edition which the angry nerds don't seem ever to factor into things and b) show cynical corporate purses that the franchise still has legs by giving it the kind of higher-profile mobile platform-enabled release the titles just sitting around on GoG doesn't help with. But every mindless bitchy comment puts the world one step further away from ever seein a BG3, so keep it up, ey?

You seem to have the stance that any game, no matter who made it, how it was made, and for whom, is bound to be good as long as it is titled Baldur's Gate 3.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Man, Aliens: Crucible, Baldur's Gate III, Vampire the Masquerade, and Ultima. Obsidian sure has had some bad luck. :(

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

I don't play on iPad. EE was supposed to be the "ultimate edition", also for PC users. It was shit and really showed what shitty developers beamdog are. They get tons of publicity for piggybacking on a 10yr+ old classic.

And in case your retarded brain didn't register it, I'm GLAD that there is no BG3, and I hope there never will be any BG3. The series is over and there's no need to continue it. If they make a BG3 it will not use DnD2E, and if it would continue the Bhaal saga it would be very stretched story-wise, and any recurring characters would be so damn washed up by now.

Out of curiosity, what do you think would make BG3 good, crawlkill?

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

No idea! Any prospective BG3 would almost certainly just be another Forgotten Realms game with limited continuity nods to the original. Your venom is fascinating, though. Does it take special training to be an internet rage stereotype, or did your world make you what you are?

You seem to have the stance that any game, no matter who made it, how it was made, and for whom, is bound to be good as long as it is titled Baldur's Gate 3.
I don't think you dig that this isn't even about beamdog. This is about anything ever being done with those ideas again -ever.-

Let's put it this way: The people who made some of the most celebrated titles around this very vomit-streaked pisshole apparently thought they could do a worthy job on a theoretical BG3 and failed to get the chance because Atari crapped out. Think they were wrong?

I need to quit trying to reason with codexians you people drive me to drink

Tigranes

Arcane
While it's impossible to tell for sure what Beamdog/Overhaul/Whatever the hell you call them's BG3 would be / would have been, so far they've shown me only negative signs on the are-they-competent test.

I don't give a shit about that argument, crawlkill, not because they don't 'deserve to' do BG3 or it is certain their BG3 will 'betray' the franchise... I don't give a shit because I tend not to give a shit about appeals for support from / on behalf of people that have only demonstrated incompetence. Pure and simple.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

No idea! Any prospective BG3 would almost certainly just be another Forgotten Realms game with limited continuity nods to the original. Your venom is fascinating, though. Does it take special training to be an internet rage stereotype, or did your world make you what you are?
I think it's just a case of me being a little more educated on the matter. I have a strong opinion but I'm not naive. If they were to make BG3 and it would be good I wouldn't cling to "omfg sucks".

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't think you dig that this isn't even about beamdog. This is about anything ever being done with those ideas again -ever.-

Yeah. No. Maybe 5 years ago you could've sold this notion to people. Maybe then they would have been desperate enough to support Oster's work even though it looks like an incompetently made cash-grab (I didn't buy or play it and I won't).

Now? Really? You really think we still feel the need to prove to publishers that this type of game can be made? Who cares? It's a new era in cRPG development and we don't need publishers for it. Fuck 'em. Sawyer will just make The Black Hound in the Eternity setting, that's all the BG3 I need. The Bhaalspawn story is over anyway.

"Oh no, but we must have Baldur's Gate 3 made by these barely competent people." Oh yeah, we really really need that. Nothing like cheap knockoff sequels to show a style of game is still alive and well.

Besides, WotC's licensing policies suck. They rubber-stamped this crappy release. Atari is gone now but that doesn't make the situation better. Things would have to change on the license side before we can argue for needing a Baldur's Gate 3.

Lancehead

Liturgist
This may be the game that Sawyer mentioned in a recent Matt Chat episode. I forget which of the three episodes it was, but Sawyer talked about a game getting cancelled and didn't go further because Obsidian hadn't revealed anything about it.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
We'll never know.

1ufxN.jpg

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Man, Aliens: Crucible, Baldur's Gate III, Vampire the Masquerade, and Ultima. Obsidian sure has had some bad luck. :(

Obsidian was going to do Vampire? Was it just going to be a Bloodlines clone? Or a real crpg?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian was going to do Vampire? Was it just going to be a Bloodlines clone? Or a real crpg?
They were working with White Wolf to do a WoD RPG (not necessarily Vampire) then CCP merged with them and put a stop to all those plans, enjoy your awful oWoD MMO.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
But every mindless bitchy comment puts the world one step further away from ever seein a BG3, so keep it up, ey?
It's just a comment on the internet, and not a vote or referendum on whether BG3 will be made.

A comment, which incidentally, merely points out that the Enhanced Edition is buggy and has no quality new content, a sentiment shared even by the normally optimistic and upbeat folks at IGN and Gamespot. Nothing to do with BG3. And hardly worthy of calling someone a venomous rage stereotype.

It's like saying that 1990s people giving negative reviews to Doom64 is wrong, because it cuts hopes of Doom 3. Doom 3 and Doom64 are completely separate issues, as are BG:EE and a proposed BG3.

The people who made some of the most celebrated titles around this very vomit-streaked pisshole apparently thought they could do a worthy job on a theoretical BG3 and failed to get the chance because Atari crapped out. Think they were wrong?
They failed to get the chance, because Atari was bought by Namco and the Atari producer involved in the project left in the aftermath of the takeover and management change. Not because Atari was unwilling.

Your point, that something should be done to "show cynical corporate purses that the franchise still has legs" does not one bit apply to this case. Atari had shown a lot of willingness to see what pitch Obsidian had for BG3. It fell apart, after a management change and not a rejection of the pitch. Did you read the story linked in the OP at all?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Everything I've casually read about their upcoming MMO sounds like it's a disaster-in-the-making.

The problem with WoD is that there's really not a lot of information available yet, they've mostly just talked about some concepts. If EVE is anything to judge by, though, then I have really high hopes for it.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
So he cockblocked himself by demanding way too much money. I didn't realize BG II had 25 millions to work with.

It was not an unreasonable request. The publisher wanted a multiplatform RPG to compete with the likes of Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls, which get more money than THAT.

Moribund

A droglike
So he cockblocked himself by demanding way too much money. I didn't realize BG II had 25 millions to work with.

It was not an unreasonable request. The publisher wanted a multiplatform RPG to compete with the likes of Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls, which get more money than THAT.

It was a delusional request, obviously. He'd rather not do it than to make less money. You can't really tell me it needs that big budget to be fun to play, it just needs it to look good and make feargus lots of money.

No one in their right mind would give him that much anyway without a real track record to work off of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom