Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian Almost Got To Make Baldur's Gate 3

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
4million to make a BG-PST-IWD spirtual successor. 25 million to make BG3. FUCK OFF WITH THE BULLSHITZ feargus.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So he cockblocked himself by demanding way too much money. I didn't realize BG II had 25 millions to work with.

20-25 million is a standard budget for an AAA game, especially an RPG.

Don't be fucking stupid, you guys. That's what a game costs now. Not an indie game, not recreating Baldur's Gate 2, but making a new, AAA game. It costs 20 million.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Do I seriously need to explain the differences between:

IE style PC only game

AAA title on xbox 360, PS3, and PC

Seriously? Here on the Codex? WTF guys, you used to be beautiful.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
he was being fucking greedy. Don't be fucking stupid, you guy. That's what greed is now. Not an indie dev, not recreating an old game, but making a new money making game. It costs greed. FFS

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Do I seriously need to explain the differences between:

IE style PC only game

AAA title on xbox 360, PS3, and PC

Seriously? Here on the Codex? WTF guys, you used to be beautiful.

Are you ready to Brofist this post?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
L0L Butthurt I see. BUTTHURT.

THis is the Codex. It has never been beautiful. Being over the top is what the site does. Lok at the BG EE threads for the more recent example. if you cna't get that perhaps you need n explanation on how the Codex actually works.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
he was being fucking greedy. Don't be fucking stupid, you guy. That's what greed is now. Not an indie dev, not recreating an old game, but making a new money making game. It costs greed. FFS

Cool story, you guy.

I forgot that your great experience making games has allowed you to see all facets at one time and to walk the many paths of game development. Please Kwisatz Haderach, show us the Golden Path.

In all seriousness, you never had proper grammar... or grammar at all really. Now you seem to have lost the ability to string together coherent thoughts altogether. I'm sure in your mind it all made sense, but maybe if you took your Ritalin and put your mouth guard in place, you might be able to share.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
There we go! The fighting codexian spirit! KEEP. UP. THE. GOOD. WORK.

p.s. Even those of us who love Mr. U know the guy love shis slam dunks. Nothing but slam dunks!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So he cockblocked himself by demanding way too much money. I didn't realize BG II had 25 millions to work with.

It was not an unreasonable request. The publisher wanted a multiplatform RPG to compete with the likes of Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls, which get more money than THAT.

It was a delusional request, obviously. He'd rather not do it than to make less money. You can't really tell me it needs that big budget to be fun to play, it just needs it to look good and make feargus lots of money.

No one in their right mind would give him that much anyway without a real track record to work off of.
Yep, it does sound like he would rather not make BG3 than make it on the cheap, and they would rather work on other projects.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, he'd rather take my moolah and make a BG knockoff than make BG3. :p

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Obsidian should do Dragon Age 3 instead to save the franchise.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
marketing alone for a modern multi-platform AAA game can run into the millions...

it's not the late 90's anymore, gaming is a billion dollar industry and no one wants (or is willing to pay for) your 2d sprite hexagonal, turn based "real rpg" games in today's market. Be thankful we have kickstarter and hope it doesn't bite us in the a$$ down the line.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Be interesting to see how close they really were to making the game.
Did Atari ever really have the funding or were they being just strung along?

Moribund

A droglike
Your game making experience didn't tell you engine makers do the work of the multiplatforming? You make it for one platform you just need to compile it on the others, unless you make your own lame engine which is unlikely.

20-25 million is a standard budget for an AAA game, especially an RPG.

Don't be fucking stupid, you guys. That's what a game costs now. Not an indie game, not recreating Baldur's Gate 2, but making a new, AAA game. It costs 20 million.

Who says it has to be an AAA game? Who?

1 million was plenty for WL 2.

If they were willing to fund it for TEN MILLION DOLLARS and they said no, then there's nothing else to say but they are traitors to their fans. If they put some unreasonable limits like 6 months schedule that's another story, but sounds like they never made it past the money talks.

You want 25 million? :lol: Wait, you're serious? Ok, just get out of my office.

And if you tell me he got 25 million for those other titles color me shocked. If so they are the most incompetent studio on earth if that's all they could manage on those kinds of budgets.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
25 mil seems honestly a bit way too high to me.
Especially for something like this, with Atari, not exactly the wealthiest of the publishers around.
I could see Blizzard or EA shelling something like this out for a game, or Eidos even. THQ, maybe half that.
And even then, it would be developed in house by one of their teams.
But Atari?
A paper dog has a better chance of catching an asbestos cat in hell than getting those guys to shell out big bucks.
They're the ultimate fucking nickel and dimers from my understanding.
Their assholes pucker up tighter than a fist if the words money and spend are used in the same sentence.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, 1 million wasn't "plenty" it was the bare minimum.

The rest of your complaints don't really make sense because it seemed that Atari was willing to pay 25 million.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
How did it seem Atari was willing to shell that kind of cash?
It seemed to me like they were hesitant from the get go, or at least until it became obvious their finances weren't gonna go for it.

Gozma

Arcane
Y'all are nuts. That is what AAA costs. And it's more now than then.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There we go! The fighting codexian spirit! KEEP. UP. THE. GOOD. WORK.

p.s. Even those of us who love Mr. U know the guy love shis slam dunks. Nothing but slam dunks!
Mr. U?

You really can't spell Urquhart?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Couldn't it be that initially they were fine with giving away 25 million dollars, but then in 2008 when the recession hit the games industry like mad and companies were laying like thousands of employees off at a time, they didn't have the cash anymore?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Couldn't it be that initially they were fine with giving away 25 million dollars, but then in 2008 when the recession hit the games industry like mad and companies were laying like thousands of employees off at a time, they didn't have the cash anymore?
That's exactly what the story was, it is not just speculation.

Atari was willing earlier, but after hard times hit it and it was acquired by Namco, they could not sustain the project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom