Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian Almost Got To Make Baldur's Gate 3

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
nO i DIDN'T. aRE YOU AN IDIOT?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Oh, it's subjective now is it? Well I think we can objectively say that a game that pulls on Homeland and 24 as its main inspirations is going to be kinda crap no matter how much effort you put into it.

I never got to the end of AP but I looked up the ending on youtubes. I wish I had now because it gave me a laugh. Watch it then watch the ending of bloodlines right after for full brutal effect. Check and Mate :) as Jack would say.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDzp7fNQk4I[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8GxCs3rgSA[/media]

The engine, as I said before is more hi tech for AP than BL so why's it look so much better, too?

My point is not to bash on Obsidian employees really, just the direction of the studio seems to be completely batshit crazy/delusional.

I'm sure he's not the only industry "leader" who can't even think up a project except to capitalize on something else or copy it, and it's pretty obvious he sees ME as the ones to emulate. Let's do ME except ON EARTH! And since ME is 24 done IN SPACE. It's kinda like doing 24 but just all regular, which is a bit boring and stupid and derivative. It's derivative of some dumb tv shows and of another really dumb game it tries hard to emulate, that's just as bad as it gets.

There's so much cool stuff in spy world and really that's what we got, copies of what are basically melodrama shows that could have been about any subject. There was something about not wanting any character to be someone who could be in kill bill. Hey hello, it's a game, that should be a starting point for how unusual someone is to be in a game, it's like making a rule that your boring setting choice has to be even more boring than the real world is! And I forgot the badness, after not seeing it a while but it just really falls on its face. And I don't think it would be possible to make a game that didn't, in those constraints.

But feargus really seems to think that would do MUCH better than a 12 million dollar BG III would do! Oh wait, it didn't? Well surely this southpark thing will be just the ticket :roll:

I guess I usually wonder at the dumb decisions of studios but seeing into the feargus brain has scarred me for life.

Homeland? What?

Fuck you, 24 was awesome, or at least mostly awesome. Jack Bauer was certainly awesome and if you disagree, you suck QED.

As for ME in space, AP was in development long before ME was announced.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Volourn Anthony was talking about TOR you retard, not KOTOR.

Anthony Davis Steam is a cash cow for sure, but nothing compared to WoW. Yet. In the long run Steam ofcourse has more potential...unless if someone comes along and does it better. (hey, before you laugh please recall myspace vs facebook; yahoo vs google, etc etc)

Question: Have you played Legends of Grimrock? It was made by 4 people in around 1.5 years (or mayyyybe 2) They recouped ALL their money in 1 week then started making a profit. There was no publisher, game was download only, and there was no paid marketing.

How much do you think it cost to make? How much revenue do you think it made? Please just give us your best estimate! The Grimrock team was so appreciative they released their game editor for FREE to whoever had bought (or even pirated) their game! :salute:

So basically, what I am saying, more-large number of employees and big $$$ are obviously not always better. Someone with a real PASSION and KNOWLEDGE and ofcourse initial funding can make themselves rich. Obsidian has a ton of potential, and project eternity is shaping up to be great, but they do not have a good track record as of yet IMO. With PE they however now seem to be finally doing the kind of game they want...though again they are making a mistake by offering the same old classes (why include priest??? Grimrock didn't have priests and it worked great for them)

Legend of Grimrock is indeed awesome.

I have not done any research on the game and I have no idea how long it took them to make it.

They clearly knew their design goals.
They clearly had at least one good programmer.
They clearly had at least one good artist.
They clearly had a lot of passion and patience.

That's a formula for a successful game right there given enough time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Codex... changes people.
Nothing will ever be the same again.

But did it actually change a person or did it merely act as a catalyst for latent traits, buried beneath the layers and layers of masks we wear every single day?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I will also add this:

Grimrock was NOT great because it didn't include a priest class.

The game would still have been great with one, I am confident of that.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Grimrock was a step in the right direction : the direction of turn based dungeon crawlers from the Goldbox and EoB era. We are not back there again, but five years ago, there was no chance a game like it would have entered any serious development.

It's more about the symbol than the whole game.

Same thing with a potential Baldur's Gate III.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

gromit

Arcane
So, I'd just like to throw out another "Fuck Namco" here? If you don't like this reason, there are plenty of others. But greed is not the issue here, it's just been a pack of cheap-asses. NBG is worse than post-millenium in-house Sega, but mainstream-ish. And their owners, my god -- if there is one thing the Codex should have learned by now, it's to never trust a toy company with a man's game.

ALSO WILD SPECULATION
I wonder how much of the "cheapness" of Dungeon Siege III was attributed to the distributed costs of widespread use of an in-house engine... in one released game, one upcoming, and n cancelled titles, as well as any dead-end prototypes or pitches (though if one has read anything about Onyx, it is that it is v. nice for prototyping.)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The Codex... changes people.
Nothing will ever be the same again.

But did it actually change a person or did it merely act as a catalyst for latent traits, buried beneath the layers and layers of masks we wear every single day?

2607.jpg

:desu:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom