Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Wunderbar, Aug 8, 2018.

1. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    As if there is a write thread for that shit ;). This is the newest PoE thread,right?

^ Top  
  2. That is a highly competitive race, frankly, and while WL2 had issues I didn't think it was genuinely terrible

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Citation needed.

It must have been running on some tech, because I'm pretty sure I would remember playing it with pen and paper.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Its greatest sin was being boring and repetitive,it is one of the very few rpgs that i didn't finish.

^ Top  
  5. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    It wasn't. People who liked it left positive reviews, rating etc, and those who don't - mostly didn't bother to do that.

I'll tell you what said those who liked PoE - no story even in comparison with first game, ship/management of ship/attacking other ships - no value, better not existed at all, party mates meh, combat system is better but challange is none-existent, there is nothing to do in game. Those who liked first game...

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Choice and consequences were more robust in F2. Combat difficulty was also improved.

PS. I too prefer the original Fallout.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    A little bit different, but I remember when Ensemble Studios revealed that, as far as they knew, most of their buyers bought Age of Empires to fire up the campaign single player on a lower difficulty and fuck around a bit. I had thought the heart and soul of the game was in multiplayer. But ES understood that they had to at least keep up appearances on that SP side, or they would never sell enough copies to keep going. And where some veterans were infuriated by some of the changes Age3 made and the way they affected the MP side of the equation, what was perceived by some as a clear, obvious and objective drop in quality was not necessarily met with the same response by that SP 'silent majority'.

With POE, I look at people that would come out and say things like, "I must have voice acting or I won't buy this game", or "omg poe was way too hard i dont like it", or "i wish you could have NG+ and arena mode and randomly generated maps to fight battles forever", and wonder - so do they represent one weirdo who bought the wrong game, or do they represent a sizable chunk of the potential market? I wonder if Obsidian even know themselves. I'm not sure if they have ever done any market research of any kind in a systematic way.

Take voice acting in DOS2/POE2, for example. To me it's a colossal waste of money. It makes me no likelier to buy the game. We know some people really love voice acting, and say that it would be a dealbreaker to not have it. But did voice acting help DOS2 get hundreds of thousands more sales? If so, why didn't it help with POE2? Or did it help with POE2 and they would have sold even less without it?

It's easy to sit here, mix together some facts ("Deadfire sold like shit") with some of your own opinions and feelings ("Fuck I hate its combat"), put it in a blender and come out with a plausible narrative. The problem is, if somebody else has a different assessment ("I liked its combat but fuck I hate its writing", for example), then you just have a mess of unverifiable and unfalsifiable 'cool story bros' floating around fighting each other.

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. 2house2fly Erudite

2house2fly
    Why did the people who felt betrayed by POE1's broken promises not leave a negative review? People leave negative reviews all the time. Pathfinder Kingmaker is still "Mixed" despite fulfilling the "BG spiritual successor" promise better than POE1. Is it because of the bugs? Why are bugs a valid reason to leave a bad review when "the entire game is not what I wanted" isn't?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Some people leave,but most don't. People that leave reviews are around 1% from what i remember. I haven't reviewed a game on gog.

^ Top  
  10. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    There will always be a better dev studio out there. There has been something better than Obsidian for a while now. Two of something actually: Iron Tower Studio and Stygian Software, makers and masters of Age of Decadence and Underrail.

Listen, I get people bemoaning Obsidian. But fuck it, they're dead, we're alive. Let's get on with living. And pour all our shekels into these two companies.

• Brofist x 5
    • Salute x 4
    • Deus Vult x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    They did patch in telemetry, but way too late, like literally last November. They patched in telemetry into Tyranny just a few months before then. Bioware had this telemetry business figured out in Dragon Age: Origins on day one, though the results of that data gave us Dragon Age II.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Because they like the game, and so bugs infuriate them. Bugs infuriates them because game matter something.

Probably big hype around PoE made them unsure that game is bad - after all, everybody talking about it, prising it.
    It was enough not to bother with negative rewiev but enough to not buy next game.
    That mean hype traine affected game negatively - in a way.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. santino27 Arcane

santino27
    I don't think most people felt betrayed. People tend to leave reviews if they have strong feelings. I think for a lot of people, POE just left them feeling eh.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Yeah Poe were pretty much mediocrity personified for me, felt a bit miffed that I'd shelled out a fair wodge o cash for Kickstarter based on pitch that they chose to "interpret" differently in the end product but I just shrugged and moved on.

Last chance blown really, but plenty of other entertainment on offer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jason Liang Magister

Jason Liang
    Bullshit. What really happened was Diablo steamrolled over Baldur's Gate and Diablo 2 steamrolled over Baldur's Gate 2.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Or tumblr:

[​IMG]

• Funny x 7
    • hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Despair x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I was going to get the PoE2 bundle once it was out and affordable. You know, just to see what made Roxxor cuck out. But seeing this, maybe I won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tenebris Educated

Tenebris
    That's one of the more tame quotes too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    First goal was already achieved through nu-Xcoms and Firaxis has't done it through KS.

Second goal wasn't their goal; the goal was having a chance to make something(hence the name: kickstarter :P ) whether old or new concepts without publisher influence or dependence.

Their goal was or should have been to kickstart a first game and if successful, build on that success themselves with a sequel or a different game with better production values but few could accomplish it, instead most abused it or tried to abuse it by going back to KS again and again till people lost faith on the whole ordeal.

Wow, no redeemable qualities in Deadfire? If one can find 1 reason to play AoD, he can find 50 reasons to play Deadfire.

Even on codex most people agree that Deadfire is objectively better than its prequel so the reason/s of its shocking levels of under-performance in sales is most probably something else then how good the game is and we've been discussing what those reasons might be in other threads already; like disappointing first game(despite its sales), market saturation, not enough marketing etc. I think the first 2 of these is the biggest reasons.

• retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Will the last DLC for POE II have a Microsoft logo in the splash now?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    You mean those that played it. Which if we go by sale numbers, might only be 10% of those that played the first.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Why that is so is the issue. People didn't even wanna try it.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    I wasn't implying that AoD is a better game or comparing it (or any other game) to Deadfire in any way. The main problem with Deadfire is not the game itself but PoE and 2 expansions. You have to really fucking love it to want more of it, meaning only the diehard fans would buy the sequel. Sure, the mechanics are "objectively better" and the party members and many dialogues are objectively worse (often cringe-worthy), but overall the game doesn't give players who kinda liked a reason to go for another ride. It's as simple as that. The market has nothing to do with it unless you think that everyone else is still busy playing D:OS2.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Really the blame should all go to Darth Roxor and his review. The PoE1 one. He killed the dream.

Also he made me buy ELEX the fucker. After that, who's gonna believe his dickslurping PoE2 review, eh? It's all about ethics in game journalism.

(I'm actually firing up ELEX right now, just to see how bitterly I can be disappointed despite having no expectations, y'know?)

• Funny x 12
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    So we agree on this. What could they have done with PoE 2 differently to significantly improve its sales then?

Market has something to with it IMO. f.i. I wasn't even expecting them to make PoE2 right after PoE1. There was a mmorpg.com interview with Josh and I was almost certain they were working on something different when he said that they are starting to make another game. The Market(tm) already got PoE1 + Expansions + Tyranny from Obs in quick succession and I was thinking it wasn't hungry yet for another isometric fantasy game from Obs cos I wasn't. I played the game cos I'm prolly too attached at this point with discussing Obs most days on here but most people ain't like me. So timing of it might be wrong/too early which is connected to The Market(tm).

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)