Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Wunderbar, Aug 8, 2018.

1. santino27 Arcane

santino27
    Most of the companion dialogue is next-level horrendous... exactly what you'd expect from young writers who have been raised and taught to insert themselves in their prose. And the main plot sucks. But there's still value to the game, in terms of combat, exploration, and itemization, imo.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    What the fuck? It is generally accepted that most people who voice their opinions on something are complaining because generally being bothered by something is a bigger motivator to just go login somewhere and leave a review, than just liking a game.

If you play a game and like it, you just go on with your life, if you buy a game and you think it crashed your hopes and dreams and wasted your money, you visit every place on the internet and complain about it and go on a hate crusade...

So you claim that this general rule got inverted for PoE specifically? Perhaps the earth is flat for PoE too?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    Clearly not that many people hate POE with so much passion. My guess is that a lot of them feel a mild sense of disappointment and disinterest. They’re not angry, they’re apathetic. Which explains why they neither left reviews nor bought the sequel.

• Agree x 8
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    PoE was made for hardcore Infinite Engine fans. Those fans who frequent this forum. You realize that hardcore crpg fans who expected the crpg messiah would equal "mildly dissappointing" to "treason", right?

PoE was meant to be the spiritual Baldur's Gate 3 we didn't get. It had a lot of hype behind it. You think hardcore fans wouldn't express their disdain after the crashing of their hopes and dreams?

You are delusional.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Bester Arcane Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Game press really did a disservice to Obshitian, praising Poe1 to high heaven, while it was a mediocre piece of shot.

I get a sense that there was this feeling in the PC gamers audience "i've never played baldur's gate cause it's an OLD GAME, but I've heard so much good things about it, and now we have pillars 1, so let's buy that! i want to be a hardcore gamer!". And IE games lovers wanted it too, desperately.

Of course, having played poe1, absolutely nobody wanted to come back to that shit. And if anything, poe1 did a disservice to anyone who's going to release isometric RPGs.

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 4
    • Edgy x 3
    • sheeple x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    It's adorable to read pages upon pages of people talking about some vicious, widespread backlash against PoE1, and yet never showing any evidence that it actually exists.

• Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Of course they did. They’re just clearly not the majority if people who bought and/or kickstarted PoE.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    This.

If you want an example of casual PoE reaction look at Angry Joe. Praised it and showered it with nostalgia love when it came out. And PoE2? A review? A mini review? Nada. Cuz nobody cares.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • meh meh x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    OKKKEEEEYYYYYYYY

So let me get this straight: You are claiming that the people who wanted a sequel to Baldur's gate were the *MINORITY* of people who kickstarted Pillars of Eternity?

Stand still, i have a bridge in Brooklyn i am looking to sell.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

:M

+M+M

What about this do you find so implausible?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I just don't get the hate here and 'lol sellout' type shit for the likes of Fargo....he tried, got closer to the old school vibe than Obsidian did(I always saw them as aspiring to AAA rather than trying to eke out a mid level niche compared to inXile) but ultimately came up short. Just didn't quite have the talent, sales and thus money, to keep going alone. Let's be honest; Wasteland, Torment, Bard's Tale....they aren't exactly massive franchises and effectively hark back to a time when what most people now call 'old school' was actually 'the new shit'.

Take TTON....I like the game quite a lot, despite the varied quality of writing, but for all the goodwill, even with the decent previews on general gaming sites it didn't sell much. You can argue about mismanagement, missed deadlines, lack of focus and too many writers of varying skills, but I don't think it would have mattered....PS:T is regarded as some kind of eternal classic, but even Beamturd couldn't shift many copies of their EE version compared to the BG EE's.

I give Fargo credit for trying these experiments and not dying wondering if there's still a place for these kinds of games at the mid-tier level, something which Obsidian; much to my chagrin; didn't risk trying. Unlike almost every other guy from that time, he actually made effort to go in that direction rather than just pay lip service and name drop, then do something totally different or fucked up like the Ultima Ascendant guys.

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 4
    • Shit x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    I dunno what the hate for Fargo is either. inXike would likely be closed down if it wasn’t for this deal. I mean, I guess ppl are mad it didn’t close down?

I dunno.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    I like Fargo, when is season 4 coming?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    What backlash? Few people are happy about it, but everybody gets that for InXile it was either that or go out of business.
    Excluding one linuxrtard on InXile forums who made like 50 posts regurgitating the usual linuxtard talking points from the mid 1990s. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    season 3 was pretty bad though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny x 11
    • Racist x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Nah, you can never have too much ewan mcgregor.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    People here already hated Fargo, though—the sale is incidental.

My theory of Fargo: nobody wants to believe that Fargo’s a (relatively) well-intentioned CEO, who genuinely loves RPGs and wants to make great ones, but for a variety of reasons he can’t seem to consistently deliver. Fargo’s sin is being fabulously optimistic. I think he truly believed inXile could make a worthy spiritual succesor to PS:T. I think he truly believed people wanted a combat system like BT4 (he was tweeting about what he’d do if they sold millions of copies before launch for heaven’s sake). He’s an effective salesman precisely because he believes what he’s saying, at least when he’s enthusiastic about something.

Yet many of you guys would rather believe Fargo disappoints out of malice, that he just wants your money and doesn’t care about the end product. But he wouldn’t put so much additional money into these projects if he didn’t believe they would be successful. I mean, sure, inXile got millions from Kickstarter backers, but they spent even more on top of that and presumably ended up losing a good deal of money on their last two games. A con artist would’ve spent a lot less than they raised and then pocketed the difference..

I don’t know if he just has bad judgment, or he’s a bad manager (maybe he’s too friendly and easygoing), or he simply lacks the self-reflection necessary to figure out where his strengths and weaknesses lie so that he can do a better job going forward.

However, the “ambitious but in-over-his-head” Fargo thesis makes more sense to me than the “shrewd snakeoil salesman” thesis.

MRY Chris Avellone you’ve both worked for the guy. He really believes in what he’s doing and loves the genre, right? Whatever his alleged failings, isn’t he operating in good faith?

• Brofist x 13
    • Agree x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I quit POE in like 10 minutes and don't really know much about POE2, but even I know: (1) fairly novel "fantasy island chain" setting; (2) gameplay is less linear; (3) ship combat; and (4) much more "woke" for those who are looking for that in their game.

I also didn't really care for the Baldur's Gate series (I beat the second game, but that's it). IMO, it turns out that BG was really about a particular kind of game arriving at a particular moment in time.* It doesn't have some timeless genius to it, the way Fallout does. A game that was a faithful successor to it, even with snazzier graphics, is going to do well with (1) oldtimers looking to recapture the old thrill and (2) youngsters who either couldn't figure out BG or never even bothered looking to see what all the fuss is about. Then they play the game and it's nothing earth-shattering, and they don't come back the next time.

(* Specifically, it had RTS-ish controls at a time when RTS games were hot, it had a jRPG companions when computer RPGs didn't, it had a high-production-value epic fantasy plot at a time when high-production-value epic fantasy multimedia was extremely rare, and it was a technologically interesting achievement. Release BG today and it is a mediocre fantasy story with weird controls and dated look-and-feel, in a world where high-production-level fantasy multimedia abounds, whether in film, TV, comics, video games, whatever.)

The basic building blocks of the D:OS franchise seem quite different -- it looks vaguely BG-ish, but it's not, really.

That said, I have become persuaded by VD's basic thesis. In a sense, the "sequels are doomed" view reflects the core characteristic of the Codex, which is to be fabulously optimistic about games before they come out, then unimpressed (at best) on release, and perhaps, many years later, nostalgically fond of them. A sequel that comes hot on the heels of the first game is too early for nostalgia; the fact that it's a sequel means that you can't be fabulously optimistic. There's no, "This time the high fantasy setting will fill me with the LOTR sense of wonder." Or "The story is going to go places other RPGs haven't." Or "The combat is actually going to be strategic with this one." A sequel promises more of the same, and the same was never what we dreamed it would be.

• Brofist x 9
    • Agree x 3
    • Salute x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Deus Vult x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ItsChon Cipher Patron

ItsChon
    I don't think your assessment of Baldur's Gate is really fair. It had an interesting story, a great setting that made me want to learn more about it, and I actually enjoy RTwP combat, so that wasn't a problem either. Look at how successful this new Pathfinder game has been. It's literally an offshoot of the IE formula that BG set the stage for so well. If you take a game like Baldur's Gate with the exact same mechanics and gameplay but plugged it into a new setting and story that were both well written, it would still be a damn good game.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    "Linuxtard"?

You realize Microsoft is attempting an "Apple" right? They are going to turn windows into a walled garden and software will only be sold through their store, that is their plan. So say bye bye to sales, mods and competition and say welcome to censorship.

"Linuxtards" are fighting the good fight but windows faggots are imbeciles who are going to wake up only when it is too late...

• Brofist x 7
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • butthurt x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yep, it is so retarded that people try to come up with bullshit reasons to explain why a supposedly terrible game has good reviews everywhere.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    What's your problem with communism and marxism? Do you belong in the 1% richest people? If not, why support their regime? Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside while you are being cucked of your wealth in order to support the 1%?

• retadred x 18
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • not sure if serious x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Funposter Scholar

Funposter
    i am going to refrain from sperging out but disdain for marxism =! endorsement of unfettered campitalism you brainlet.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    If by fighting the good fight you mean making the devs burn away fan given money. Linuxtards swarm every Kickstarter like a locust begging for ports and then don't even buy enough units to cover the cost of making the port.

The only appropriate fate for these parasites is if they all get cancer of everything from feet all the way up to ears and die slowly for a month in a hospital with no painkillers.

• Funny x 5
    • Edgy x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)