Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Developer
His sole purpose of existence is to ruin Indiana. Everything led to this moment and now he's going to fulfill his destiny.

Eric Daily ran Wasteland 3 meetings efficiently and handled all the logistics pretty well, imo.

To elaborate, one of the best qualities of a producer is when the other developers in the room can focus on discussing development, design, art, etc. and there's no questions of why the meeting is happening, when, where, what doc we need to reference, what the goals are, is the presentation computer loaded with the build, has it been tested, and the action items are being recorded b/c the producer is handling all of that (and assigning tasks after the meeting). A producer's there to help a team be creative as possible within the project's parameters.

He seems like a good hire, good for him (and good for Indiana).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People on Codex should know better than to assume that if a game was in some way a failure then everybody on the team is automatically at fault and unhireable (2house2fly is probably trolling though)

Fairfax

Arcane
People on Codex should know better than to assume that if a game was in some way a failure then everybody on the team is automatically at fault and unhireable (2house2fly is probably trolling though)
Doesn't seem to be a common opinion. Just look at Deadfire. The game was a failure, yet if you ask Obsidian fans, somehow none of it was Sawyer's fault. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Doesn't seem to be a common opinion. Just look at Deadfire. The game was a failure, yet if you ask Obsidian fans, somehow none of it was Sawyer's fault. :M
Josh is a senile clown, but he was fighting an uphill battle against the rtwp ceiling and delusional owners.
No,he was making something he didn't care or liked,thus it turned pile of shit. And in the end those evul grognards put a big,fat dick in his ass! Now i will go and play some more Kingmaker,a game for codexers!

so I was happy to hear he was leading the charge on the POE2 DLCs.
Soooo that is why i hear positive things about the dlcs,being an incline compared to that pile of garbage,the main game.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's the nepotism, bro. Already been established in the May of Rage.

Justin is one of the favorites, likely because Ferg hand chose him to come on board. Ferg raised him up from junior, and I think he was a textbook case of Ferg trying to train a producer to do everything exactly the way Ferg wanted from start to finish.

I’ve never worked directly with him, so I don’t know if he’s a good producer or not, though (I don’t mean that as a slam, I honestly don’t know).

I have worked with Brandon, though, and I think Brandon’s a good producer, so I was happy to hear he was leading the charge on the POE2 DLCs.

I haven't played the DLCs yet, but the codex seems pretty satisfied with the first two, so I'd say badler is doing pretty well.

Sentinel

Arcane

Justin is one of the favorites, likely because Ferg hand chose him to come on board. Ferg raised him up from junior, and I think he was a textbook case of Ferg trying to train a producer to do everything exactly the way Ferg wanted from start to finish.

I’ve never worked directly with him, so I don’t know if he’s a good producer or not, though (I don’t mean that as a slam, I honestly don’t know).

I have worked with Brandon, though, and I think Brandon’s a good producer, so I was happy to hear he was leading the charge on the POE2 DLCs.

I haven't played the DLCs yet, but the codex seems pretty satisfied with the first two, so I'd say badler is doing pretty well.
you mean the 5 remaining resident Obsidian fanboys. I don't think 5 people qualify as "The Codex".

santino27

Arcane
Patron

you mean the 5 remaining resident Obsidian fanboys. I don't think 5 people qualify as "The Codex".

'The members of the codex who have actually played the DLCs'. Happy?

Sentinel

Arcane

"...and who happen to like the pile of garbage that is poe2"
yeah I'm happy.

santino27

Arcane
Patron

"...and who happen to like the pile of garbage that is poe2"
yeah I'm happy.

That's a huge weight off of my shoulders, let me tell you. ;)

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Obsidian is bleeding talent left and right like a haemorrhage, by the time they are done with their on-going dumpsterfire only Feargus and Sawyer will remain in the company with their bi-gendered harem of aspiring SoCal writers. Take-Two will absorb their now main project while Blizzard will suck the soul out of all the developers and writers with any hint of promise.

It's over, and time to move on.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Boyarsky talks about the design of Pip-boy, with design analysis by some industrial designer: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/history-evolution-fallout-pip-boy-obsidian-interplay-bethesda

Behind the Creation and Evolution of Fallout's Iconic Pip-Boy
With insight from designers, what Fallout's iconic device tells us about its ever-changing post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Before Bethesda Softworks’ visually immaculate Fallout universe, there were the grainy snapshots of Interplay Entertainment's portrayal of a landscape desecrated by the ashes of a nuclear fallout. As the original entry of this post-apocalyptic series, it was Interplay’s Fallout that introduced the prototypical Pip-Boy to the world—the device that’s now so synonymous with the Fallout name itself. This version is vastly different from the streamlined, wrist-mounted devices by Bethesda; instead, it’s a clunky assemblage of rusted metal, vacuum tubes, and wire meshes meant to be held by hand and prodded at like a tablet.

Despite numerous facelifts, the Pip-Boy remains one of the most iconic tools in video game history, thanks to the series’ popularity and the tool’s ubiquity. And as it's evolved from a rusty handheld device to a chunky watch, the gadget’s transformation is also emblematic of the series’ divergence. What started as a top-down, turn-based RPG is now more akin to a first-person shooter today. The older Pip-Boy is said to have more superfluous functions—including screensavers, buddy chat programs and alarms—even though these aren’t accessible features in the game, whereas the newer devices are more concerned with expanding on their stylistic flourishes and visual language. In fact, the Pip-Boy has only become even more diegetic with the Bethesda era of Fallout, with the interface becoming an in-universe device that characters can stare at from a first-person perspective.

So what else could be inferred about the Pip-Boy and its universe? Are these iterations true to the retrofuturism trend and Fallout’s old world kitsch? And are they functionally designed for a grueling universe where everything has gone up in flames? Armed with this burning curiosity, I decided to ask two people who can offer some insights: Leonard Boyarsky, one of the lead designers of Fallout at Interplay, who’s now at Obsidian Entertainment; and Liz (pseudonym), an award-winning industrial designer with her own multi-disciplinary design studio.

910x-1

The first two Fallouts utilized the tablet-like Pip-Boy 2000. [Screenshot from MobyGames.]

The Classic Pip-Boy
As a design trend, one of the most notable showcases of retrofuturism is a collaboration between General Motors and Norman Bel Geddes, a prominent industrial designer back in the ‘30s. Titled Futurama, it was an exhibit into a possible model of the world 20 years into the future, featuring cutting-edge technology and streamlined designs, including automated highways and the prevalence of automotive vehicles. These also happen to be some of the most recognizable traits of Fallout, and is what guides the series’ distinctive style.

“Retrofuturism is often characterized by depictions of technology in a nostalgic style,” Liz shared. “Its juxtaposition of the past and the future—the idea of taking something familiar and displacing it in time—is what makes the trend so impactful in evoking powerfully hypothetical experiences in people's minds.” As with the exhibition, she added that the creations of Bel Geddes and other notable industrial designers also gave rise to a design movement known as Streamline Moderne, an aesthetic that’s marked by smooth curves and horizontal lines. “These characteristics definitely became part of today’s retrofuturistic vocabulary.”

But these traits are more evident in Bethesda’s contoured Pip-Boy designs. In contrast, the classic Pip-Boy is much more angular and blocky. According to Boyarsky, this disparity is mostly due to how the original design is heavily skewed towards his personal preference rather than any adherence to specific trends. “I just really like the look of old, clunky technology,” he said. “To be honest, I don’t remember if we came up with the ‘50s theme—it was [close to] 25 years ago—but if we did, we may have streamlined [the Pip-Boy] a little bit more.”

The Pip-Boy’s bulkiness also served a secondary purpose: it’s symbolic of an irreparable world torn apart by war and conflict.

“This was also just my way of creating a feeling that the world wasn’t quite working, like you can see the seams [of this universe],” Boyarsky said. “Whereas if you had sleek technology, it will feel very functional, or to be without problems. I wanted our stuff to feel like maybe it wasn’t all that dependable, like it’s kind of hacked together to a certain degree.”

This heftiness also points towards how the gadget is probably constructed for use mostly within the walls of the vault—a point that Liz was also quick to latch onto. She was skeptical about the device’s portability, and the likelihood of the Pip-Boy to accommodate additional screens and extensions. Tellingly, a footnote from the Vault Dweller Survival Guide—the manual included with the original Fallout—stated that Pip-Boys were issued with a brief three-month limited warranty; these aren’t hardy devices that can withstand the rigors of time.

Aside from personal taste, Boyarsky also wanted the user interface to resemble an in-world object, one that looked like it was plucked from the Fallout universe itself. Such interfaces weren’t the norm at the time of Fallout’s development in 1997; instead, many video games featured two-dimensional interfaces that seemed explicitly removed from their fiction.

Wanting the Pip-Boy to have an appearance that’s more three-dimensional and tactile than most other interfaces at that time, Boyarsky tapped on the industrial design expertise of another Interplay designer—Anthony Postma—who eventually came up with the device’s layout. “I knew what I wanted in terms of the way the Pip-Boy feels, but I’m not, in any way, performing as an industrial designer; I was mostly trained as an illustrator,” said Boyarsky.

910x-1

The Modern Pip-Boy

Since acquiring the rights to the Fallout IP in 2004, Bethesda has significantly ramped up the series’ retrofuturism themes. Not only does its old-world furniture carry the Streamline Moderne qualities—the curved forms, long lines—mentioned earlier, this aesthetic is also reflected in the newer Pip-Boy models that look sleeker and much more polished than the original one. Despite these changes, Liz thought these devices still looked relatively bulky, perhaps even too unwieldy to use in the wilderness. “I wonder if I would have an overdeveloped left arm from wearing the Pip-Boy all the time!” she remarked. ”Would people eventually evolve their bodies to counterbalance [the weight of] this device, since it’s key to their survival?” She also pointed out how the retro flair of the Pip-Boy 3000 Mark IV (the model in Fallout 4) differs slightly from retrofuturism convention. In fact, the screen is reminiscent of the CRT computer monitors of the 1980s, like that of green phosphor screens.

Meanwhile, Boyarsky has been impressed by the flourishes of Bethesda’s Pip-Boy designs, but mentioned that he would have loved to see some embellishments from the original design—the exposed wires, vacuum tubes, and speakers—in the later models.

“Because they had to make it fit on your arm, they lost a bit of those little touches,” he mused. He even brought up how the mascot he had originally designed for the Pip-Boy, which was prominently displayed on the classic device, was missing in these iterations (for the record, this is different from the Vault Boy, who has somehow become the de facto mascot of modern Fallout). “I don’t know why they don’t want to put the Pip-Boy logo on the [newer] Pip-Boy anymore... I’m hurt, really!” he laughed, his voice carrying a slight note of dismay.

That’s why he was glad to see these elements return in Fallout 76’s Pip-Boy; in fact, the aforementioned mascot makes a comeback too, but with a small, albeit unintentional tweak. “For some reason, everyone draws him with pointed ears! There was a restriction or a problem with the technology at that time, so everyone thought he had pointed ears because of how pixelated it was,” said Boyarsky. Some minute but significant details also drew his attention. In particular, the ridges on the roof of the newer Pip-Boy was one feature Postma had included in his original sketches, which was faithfully executed throughout every screen interface in Fallout 1 and 2.

910x-1

The Pip-Boy 1.0, as seen in the intro FMV cutscene for Fallout 4.

More Than a Watch
Given that electronic components will only become increasingly scarce in the Fallout timeline, Liz imagined that future Pip-Boys would probably be cobbled together from scavenged components, or even discarded Pip-Boy devices. “Seeing how future iterations of the Pip-Boy will need to be repaired and hacked together from old parts would be interesting.”

Liz also brought up the probability of vault dwellers modifying and hacking their Pip-Boy. As it’s capable of storing crucial information and even intimate data, the Pip-Boy is an incredibly personal device. So why haven’t vault dwellers attempted to personalize this tool? And with various cliques and gangs from the vault—like the boorish Tunnel Snakes from Fallout 3—seeing how some individuals and factions would customize their Pip-Boy as a form of personal expression and group identity would be fascinating, particularly in a multiplayer setting like Fallout 76.

“I would love to see variations of Pip-Boys based on these different factions,” she wondered. “How would each group modify their Pip-Boys based on their modus operandi? Would some have more weaponized features? Could there be rare finds to upgrade your Pip-Boy [with]?” While it’s doubtful that such features will be implemented in Fallout 76, there may be other means for factions to differentiate themselves with.

The limits placed on graphical fidelity back in the late ‘90s may have been an obstacle for more ambitious designers. That’s why I wanted to ask Boyarsky if he would make any changes to Interplay’s Pip-Boy design today, especially with the vastly superior graphical capabilities afforded by modern technology. Yet, he sounded almost surprised by my question, and after some pause, responded with a no. It was the graphical constraints of the past that gave the Pip-Boy’s its trademark grimy look, he explained, which accentuates the dated, deteriorating appearance he envisioned the device to have.

608x-1

The Pip-Boy 2000, as seen in the first Fallout. [Screenshot from MobyGames.]

“Our biggest problem at that time was that we didn’t have the detailed resolution to get some of the finer details. We did have a restriction of 240 colours, but we also used that to our advantage,” said Boyarsky. “I tried to use that pixelation to make things look worn and dirty. Because of where we were at technology-wise, we wanted to use these constraints to help, as opposed to hinder, what we were trying to do.” In his own words, the device had already “conveyed the feeling of the world” to its fullest extent.

This thoughtful labor behind the iconic Pip-Boy is probably what makes the device so memorable; like the twisted amalgamation of bodies known as the Master, the intelligent Super Mutant Marcus, and Liam Neeson the negligent Dad, its legacy will be on par with some of Fallout’s most intriguing characters. As a life-long companion to our vault-dwelling protagonists, the Pip-Boy is sure to remain a mainstay of video game culture for years to come.

2house2fly

Magister
You say new, but it was recorded a year ago. You'd think they could at least have talked to him in March or April, close to the release of the actual game

Prime Junta

New Josh interview, part 1 out of 5: https://talkingames.com/josh-sawyer-chapter-i/

Can't be copy-pasted, how irritating. Interviewer is obsessed with Divinity: Original Sin and multiplayer. Josh mentions RPG Codex in the second page.

here ya go

It’s a relatively warm autumn night of 4th October 2017 A.D. here in Berlin and I am standing outside on the street in front of a local wine bar impatiently awaiting the arrival of one of my favorite game masters of the cRPG scene, Obsidian’s one and only Joshua Sawyer. Upon his arrival we sit down at a table in the intimate environment of a wine cellar and whilst he enjoys his glass of red, we are quick to find a common ground in history. He is very passionate and knowledgeable about the subject of medieval history and is also fluent in German. But before I hit the record button of my voice recorder and for the first time, so that conversation can switch to the games, we transit into a slightly more affordable establishment (due my typical lack of dineros) just down the street. During the short walk, we talk more on a subject of local history and I am learning about the forceful Germanization of Jewish names in the late 18th. Finally, at our destination we find a quieter compartment at the rear end of the bar and with a mixture of excitement and nervousness, my index finger slowly proceeds to that magical red button…

Hi Josh, do you still remember your very first Fallout experience?

I was a junior in college when it came out and I played it and fell in love with it immediately. After finishing I went online and read about the endings. Someone was talking about the evil ending, which I did not know existed. So I went back, reloaded my save game, and killed everyone I could find to get negative karma, so that I could get the evil ending. And then I started the game again—I think I played it throughout like three times that week.

How did you manage to join the ranks of Interplay & Black Isle?

So I was graduating college with a degree in history and a minor in theater. I had a very low grade point average—I was a bad student. I had no idea what I was going to do with those degrees. At the time, I was actually expecting to become an apprentice for a tattoo parlor. Then a friend of mine told me that a studio in California, Black Isle, was hiring a web designer for a new D&D game they were making. I had taught myself web design—it was the mid-’90s, so I taught myself HTML, Photoshop and Flash. At that time there were only a few people who knew Flash. So I applied for a job at Black Isle Studios for a project that they hadn’t announced what it was. I was one of three people out of 60 something who were considered. I was actually the second choice—the first choice wanted to be with his girlfriend, so he ended up taking a job in Seattle [laughing].

But then someone from the Icewind Dale team left and there was an opening

So that’s how I got into Interplay. I started to work as a web designer for Planescape: Torment—that was my first project. And from there, I worked on the Icewind Dale website, redesigned the Baldur’s Gate 2 and eventually the Neverwinter Nights 2 websites. But at the same time, I was talking a lot with Feargus Urquhart [ex-boss of Black Isle, current CEO of Obsidian], Chris Avellone, Colin McComb, Tim Donely and others who worked on Planescape, trying to convince them to let me do the game design.

Had a vacancy opened for that position?

There wasn’t a position at first. I think it was Colin McComb—who used to work for TSR’s D&D stuff—who recognized that I knew D&D very thoroughly. But then someone from the Icewind Dale team left and there was an opening, so Feargus let me come over part-time. I was originally working half-time on websites and half-time on Icewind Dale and eventually I moved onto full-time development.

What was the transition to full-time game designer like?

I think it was me telling Chris Parker [former chief producer at Interplay, now works at Obsidian] that I couldn’t do it anymore [laughing]. I was like, “Hey man, I’ve got a lot of areas to design. There are other people who can do the web work, I am not that important to it.” I had already redesigned the Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 websites. I said, “I think this is more important.” Because web was part of marketing, I was getting dragged into marketing meetings. I was in this conflict like, “aahh, it is lot of my time,” so eventually, they agreed and I shifted over. I still helped them partially with the web design, but I was now a full-time game designer.

BISL.png

Black Isle Studios logo
You are known to be a passionate lover and expert of D&D. Was that the driving force behind your game design ambition?

Yeah. I thought, maybe, if I was going to get into games, it would be tabletop games. I figured I would want to be designing tabletop role play games, cause I already did this in a college—just my own games for myself and my friends. I didn’t really have any idea how to get into video games, so it was really just luck—all of this is just luck.

I started with the basic level, followed by expert D&D and then AD&D. And AD&D was about the time when I met this older kid in my local library, Tony Uñate. He was playing The Bard’s Talethe first one—and that was my first exposure to computer RPGs. That just blew me away. It was on a C64.

And do you remember when that was?

That was 1985. That was the year it came out, so yeah, I was just blown away by that. I got really into that and Ultima III was around at the same time I think. And Wizardry. My friend Ryan had that, Might and Magic and bunch of other games. So after that, I’ve just continuously played computer and tabletop RPGs.

Fallout was originally called something like Vault 13. I don’t what the reason was, but Brian Fargo said, “Call it Fallout!”

Did you play the original Wasteland?

Actually, I did not play Wasteland. I played The Bard’s Tale and I think Dragon Wars, and a bunch of other Interplay games, but not Wasteland at that time.

Could you tell me about your very first meeting with Brian Fargo?

My first meeting with him was at Interplay, but I don’t remember the context of the meeting and I am sure he does not remember it at all, because at the time, I was just a junior designer. But actually, I remember the first email contact I had with him, which was great! Actually, there were two things that were really fantastic. He sent Feargus an email about how much he loved Icewind Dale, and I was like ‘wow, that is pretty awesome.’ As someone who grew up loving The Bard’s Tale, that was incredible.

And then there was another time when we had to come up with the names for the expansion of Icewind Dale and there was a big list. One of them was The Tales of the Frozen North—and, you know, I bet marketing was going to pick up that one, because it sounded like Tales of the Sword Coast [Baldur’s Gate expansion]. But I had one hit on the list that was called Heart of Winter and there were around eight others, and I was like, ‘that is the one they should pick!’

So I sent this email to Interplay’s marketing team, including Brian Fargo. I didn’t say to them what my preferences were; I just presented them with the team’s ideas for the names of the expansion. And before anyone else could respond, Brian Fargo responded, “Heart of Winter!” [laughing]. I was like, ‘great, awesome, I guess it really does not matter what everyone else said, because he just picked it.’

There is a funny story which Tim tells too, Tim Cain, which is that Fallout was originally called something like Vault 13. I don’t what the reason was, but Brian Fargo said, “Call it Fallout!” Tim, to his credit, says that at the time he hated the name and lot of people thought it was a really stupid name, but apparently everyone thought that it’s cool in the end, so it didn’t matter.

we also balanced the combat a little more aggressively, because we can predict what kind of level you are going to be pretty easily based upon the amount of combat in the game

Let’s return to Icewind Dale for a moment. Why was your approach so radically different to Baldur’s Gate?

We knew that making a Baldur’s Gate-sized game would be very difficult with the team we had. BG is huge—very long with a ton of maps. We did not have that many artists and designers to work on it. So Chris Parker—who was our producer at the time and now one of the co-owners of Obsidian—he said, “Okay, let’s focus this as a linear dungeon crawler. Instead of having a huge world to explore and lots and lots of quests, we’ll have a straight, linear, combat-oriented game.”

So we really focused on making lots of cool dungeon environments rather than city environments that we knew would take a lot of time and effort. There was also the fact that we did not use companions, which again would have been a huge amount of work. We said, “let’s just let players make their whole party,” which is something many people did in Baldur’s Gate anyway. So you just make your whole party, and make lots of voice acting and portraits for people, so that they have a huge number of things to pick from. And yeah that was really our focus.

ICD.jpg

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (2014)
So what was the main difference in Icewind Dale‘s combat mechanics?

In comparison with Baldur’s Gate 1, I think that we had more of an emphasis on tactical combat encounters that used the whole party, because we assumed that from the beginning you would have a full party of adventurers and you could cover all the bases. Because the game was linear, we also balanced the combat a little more aggressively, because we can predict what kind of level you are going to be pretty easily based upon the amount of combat in the game. And because the level cap bumped up from BG1, we also extended also the types of magic items we had—the range of spells and stuff like that.

I am a great fan of tactical elements, especially presented via a turn-based system in similar games. For example, in Divinity: Original Sin, I appreciate the creative ways the player can solve fights even with a much stronger enemy—the optimal utilization of environmental mechanics and the combination of elements, for instance. What was your philosophy for designing combat scenarios?

I think the difference with Icewind Dale was that, basically, the environment played a very little role. The layout of the environment was important, but we didn’t have dynamic elements like Divinity has. In Divinity also, they use keywording heavily in their effects, so fire and electricity and stuff like that are extremely common. Whereas with Icewind Dale, we were really trying to recreate as many existing D&D spells and abilities as possible, so mostly focusing on implementing what was in the rule books and less on creating our own little tactical system.

with Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate, what we found is that despite the fact that lots of people requested multiplayer, ..we didn’t see that many people playing it in the end

This firm anchoring in D&D rule books has also accompanied all of the other projects powered by Infinity and Aurora engines. Thus, I assume that you have never considered walking a different path.

No not really, even with Pillars of Eternity, we haven’t really tried to go too far away. There is still a Magic Missile spell at first level, there is still a Fireball at third level, there is still a Cone of Cold spell at fifth level for wizards. There are certain things that, especially on something like Pillars, we kept there pretty much entirely for the sake of nostalgia—for the feeling, ‘oh this feels comfortable, oh there is the spell I kind of expected to be there.’

What about multiplayer back then? D&D and other pen-and-paper RPGs are by nature multiplayer games. This philosophy is well-represented today by the Divinity: Original Sinseries. Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights also had multiplayer, but the upcoming titles completely lost it eventually. What were the main troubles?

Well, with Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate, what we found is that despite the fact that lots of people requested multiplayer, we didn’t see very high numbers in terms of the GameSpy stats and stuff like that. We didn’t see that many people playing it in the end—it was huge effort to put it in and not many people actually played it that much. It’s kind of like when you ask someone if they’d like a dessert; they’d be like, ‘Yeah, sure’ [laughing]. That’s as in, ‘Do you like this game?’ ‘Yeah!’ ‘Do you want multiplayer?’ ‘Yeah, sure, of course.’ It does not really matter if they’re going to play it or not; they’ll probably say, ‘I would not mind that.’

I think—no, I know—that some games have to be fundamentally designed for the multiplayer or they will have a lot of problems. With Neverwinter 1, I’ve heard a lot of people slam Neverwinter 1‘s official campaign, OC. I mean, there are problems with it, but it was designed to be multiplayer-friendly. A lot of the stuff Bioware put out for Neverwinter is multiplayer-friendly—it was designed around that. Neverwinter 2, by comparison, was awful for multiplayer. It was not designed for multiplayer at all.

I still remember how disappointed I was when I was playing the co-op campaign of Neverwinter 2 with a friend and it had no dialogue options—like you get with Divinity, for instance.

A lot of the decisions on how the campaign was structured were made before I got there, but it was really, fundamentally designed to be played as a single-player experience. I think it was actually an over-correction. Don’t get me wrong, there are cool things in Neverwinter 2‘s official campaign, but the cost of that is that the people who came to Neverwinter 2 expecting it to be multiplayer-friendly like Neverwinter 1 [laughing], were pretty upset, like ‘what the heck?’ And that extends to other aspects of the game too. Bioware, when they made Neverwinter 1, authored the tiles very memory-efficiently. So, if you connected to a server that you had never been to before, that had a completely brand-new module, it took very little time to download.

there were some people who took bunch of the art assets from Fallout and they made an MMO out of it. It was a free-for-all Ulitma Online style, where you can just mass-murder everybody

Since we are talking about multiplayer, where do you stand with the MMORPG genre?

I have played a few of them and I understand why a lot of people like them, but they don’t appeal to me very much. I like the exploration aspect of them, but I don’t really like grinding and I am not that social a gamer, so organizing with guilds and stuff like that was never really my thing. I played World of Warcraft for about five months and I got to the Arathi Highlands. At that time, the content there was really frustrating and I wasn’t having fun, so I was like, ‘nah, I am not playing this any more’ [laughing].

I have always been a bit of MMORPG enthusiast and a fan of sandbox titles such as Ultima Online. I always thought that they were going to be the future of the genre. That’s why I have spent most of my time playing EVE Online, because it emphasizes free roaming and emergent gameplay. Unfortunately, I feel that it is World of Warcraft which effectively halted and rolled over this initial promise.

Have you seen the insane Fallout: Online (FOnline:Reloaded)?

FO.jpg

FOnline:Reloaded
I don’t think so.

So I think it was a Czech group that made Fallout [1.5:]Resurrection. Don’t quote me [laughing], because RPG Codex is going to get really mad if I got that wrong. But that was an unofficial Fallout spinoff, actually just couple of years ago. I think it was called Fallout Resurrection and it was made using the Fallout 2 engine.

Wow, I didn’t know that. Did you say Czechs made it?

I think so. But even before that, maybe four to five, maybe six, years ago, there were some people who took bunch of the art assets from Fallout and they made an MMO out of it. It was a free-for-all Ulitma Online style, where you can just mass-murder everybody [laughing]. People made little bases and they would raid each other’s bases. Yeah, that was incredible.

So Fallout Online and Fallout Resurrection

So yeah, Fallout Online—and by the way, this was totally unofficial—was just some fans making stuff and Fallout [1.5:]Resurrection was a very aggressive mod group. I downloaded it, but I have not played it yet [laughing]. So that’s what I have always thought: if there was ever going to be a Fallout MMO, it would be something like that fan-made Fallout Online; where it’s just super-cutthroat like Ultima Online; where it’s everyone for themselves!

Do you think there will be an official Fallout Online one day?
If Bethesda wants to do it. I am sure they could; they have enough money [laughing].

Joshua Eric Sawyer
Born: 18.10.1975
Nationality: American
Role: Game Designer
Studio: Obsidian
Previously: Black Isle Studios
Known For: Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, Deadfire

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
doesnt meet expectation =/= a failure.

They were expectinh dos 2 level hit, but it didnt, but they probably profit from it albeit not the gold in the end of the rainbow

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why Josh is in Poland now?

EDIT: Ah... GIC.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom